Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starbound: 'Spiritual' successor to Terraria

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Bitch I'll cut you with my Poop Prodder.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Also the UFO boss has been nerfed to the ground. He is now a level zero that can be killed with 5 shots or so from an iron bow.

Please tell me you're joking?

No. With the Snow Trooper armor that negates almost all of the bosses attack damage and an Iron bow the boss is now about as hard as almost any air based enemy, only with a larger hitbox.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's no different than before, really. Snow Trooper armor reduced his damage and his minions' damage to nil pre-patch (and Silver was more than sufficient after he was reduced from level 10 to 9)—it was just aggravating to kill the fucker (unless you used bombs), since he hovers out of range most of the time.

Again, too, I'm noticing that dropped weapons and weapons sold in shops typically do shittier damage than the friggin' starter weapon. I hope they fix that at the same they fix crafted weapons being too powerful. Ideally, up-to-date small handheld weapons should kill enemies (other than humanoids) in 2-3 hits, while two-handers should kill them in 1-2. Any more than that, and the increased damage characters apparently take now even with up-to-date armor and enemies' frenetic, erratic movement on often awkward terrain renders the game far too aggravating.

I found a legendary bone mace that does less damage than my starter weapon. Obviously, they have a lot of work to do with combat balance and weapon itemization, because this is worse than before the patch.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Snow Trooper armor was grossly overpowered. I do agree that the weapons seem to be all over the place. There's a ton of them but they all seem shitty.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Snow Trooper armor was grossly overpowered. I do agree that the weapons seem to be all over the place. There's a ton of them but they all seem shitty.

I suppose. Snow Trooper armor was and is the only use for leather, and it takes forever to acquire 33 pieces. Thus, it's the only compelling reason to bother with the hunting mechanic. Steel armor was two levels better than it and not much harder to get considering when Snow Trooper was introduced into the game—most people were at Silver or better by then, with Steel very easily accessible.

As for weapons, I've now found two legendaries that do less damage than my starter weapon.

Chucklefuck said:
Today's update MAY not require a character wipe, but we will need to do at least one more character wipe in the future.

I love how OP weapons are an emergency that requires immediate fixing during an alpha test, but shitty legendaries aren't even on the radar, and psycho birds whose death animation actually damages you on top of how obnoxious they are are completely fine.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I guess they wanted to make an alternate path of armor progression versus mining but they can't balance it very well. Since there are no shortage of aliens running around if you make the leather drop rate too high then farming the armor is trivial. As it is the number of steaks you can get with little work makes the hunger mechanic irrelevant. I appreciate the fact they're trying to add some new dynamics over Terraria but right now they are poorly implemented and I can't really conceive of a solution short of not having monsters drop meat or leather half the time or more. Ore, at least, is a 'finite resource' in that it doesn't respawn.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Frankly, the earliest part of the game really needn't be slow and painful. It's all right if knowledgeable players can quickly move up a few tiers, or if a player skips ahead a set or two here and there by making an effort to gather the necessary materials early. Speaking of which, requiring copper armor to make iron armor, iron to make silver, et cetera is a cheap and hack-y way of forcing people not to skip tiers. I hope they change that.

The ship fuel situation needs a big revamp. My solution would be nodes on planets upon which you can place "Fuel Extractors" to slowly extract basic fuel equivalent to wood (1:1) in efficiency. The idea behind fuel should be to compel players to put some thought into where they warp and put a damper on total and complete freedom to go anywhere, anytime, as many times as you want. Wood did that, though it was perhaps too easy to get and abundant. They've gone too far now, though. Having to search for and mine coal for fifteen fucking minutes to go on one multi-system expedition is ludicrous.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
The ship fuel situation needs a big revamp. My solution would be nodes on planets upon which you can place "Fuel Extractors" to slowly extract basic fuel equivalent to wood (1:1) in efficiency.

There's materials similar to coal in higher tiers that have better fuel ratios (which of course help fuck all when you're just starting out and resources are most limited). I think it's one of the intended features that players will eventually be able to do mining directly from their ship (something similar to Mass Effect 1 I think in terms of mechanics); being able to fuel your ship directly from stars would be pretty fucking cool for example. Of course, to balance such endless source of energy, you'd have to acquire some shields and risk hull damage or w/e to compensate for the reward.

This looks neat btw:

Last edited:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Kewl. If people can create their own kind of planets with the accompanying biomes then we could look forward to some interesting stuff. Ruined civilisations, gas planets, radioactive wastes, massive machines. Could be awesome.

Do hope they have plans with the ship apart from it being a travel hub/stash btw. Any known?

So bros, I like Terraria. Will this be a bigger more interesting and diverse exploration/building game, i.e. Terraria on steroids? Or same old, same old?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
So bros, I like Terraria. Will this be a bigger more interesting and diverse exploration/building game, i.e. Terraria on steroids?

Pretty much, if you're into building in particular it's waaaay better in Starbound. But it's also early in development so unless you're itching to play it right now, I'd wait until the phase 2 beta at least.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yes, it will eventually be Terraria on Steroids but right now it's still a work in progress. Even on 'release' Terraria was still a bit incomplete and they added a ton of new free content.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Eh, there was still plenty of content. Anyway, another Starbound patch just applied.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I played Terraria on release and, at the time, it was merely decent—a mere shadow of what it eventually became after minor updates, 1.1, 1.2, and the Halloween update. Terraria also didn't seem to be terribly mod-friendly, whereas even in alpha Starbound has a major mod available: sandbox ship. With it, you can build your ship into quite literally any shape and size you desire, although I don't think that the official ship exterior-specific greebles are available to use currently.

Other than obvious fun benefits, it's useful for growing crops, since time always passes in the ship. Currently, when you're away from a planet, or even if you're too far away from the crops you've planted on that same planet, they cease growing.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
0dvmNGC.gif

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Patch notes.

Changelog for v. Frustrated Koala 10/12/2013

Hi guys, so last night we pushed the major balance update. We’d tested it for hours and at the last
minute a bug crept in that broke crafted weapon damage, making them crazy overpowered.
Hence the name of this version.
We’ve decided NOT to wipe characters or worlds. This means if you already have overpowered items
or planets they will remain that way. We’d recommend starting a new character to assist with beta testing.
That’s been fixed. It was an interesting bug. The old leveling system used a “level” specified
in each swords configuration file. The new system no longer uses “level”, instead each sword is
hand balanced. The bug that crept in at the last moment reenabled “level”. Given that they are now unused, levels weren’t
changed from their previous values that went all the way up to level 100, and now that the game
is leveled up to 10, they were massively too powerful.
Also..
- Uranium, plutonium and solarium now work as fuels
- You can now REALLY craft a grappling hook
- Boss balance has been tightened even more
- Platinum armor is now unlocked on tier 5
- You can now ‘recapture’ pets
- some more fixes
More coming ASAP! It’ll take us a little while to balance everything just right, so please hang tight.

Will this extra content and patches persistently be coming out for the next 1 year or so (and this frequently)? It that is so, the game will change and expand a lot... Without them charging for DLC and shit. :salute:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
At this point the content being added isn't 'extra' as the game has yet to be released. That said, what is in-game now is probably not even 50% of the planned content. And the stuff that is there is very bare bones. Right now I'd say the biggest problem is the inability to use wood as fuel. It's basically impossible to travel past your starting system without massive amounts of tedious exploring for small pockets of coal.

Unwanted

Sycophantic Noob

Andhaira
Andhaira
No, the biggest problem is lack of depth in game mechanics, and extremely poorly optimized code, both of which cannot be justified by saying that "it's beta lol", which is how the devs are trying to handwave every issue. It's like they didn't even play their own game. The amount of suggestions how to improve on gameplay and how to balance the game coming even from people who have played it for only a couple of hours prove that it takes a huge amount of not giving a fuck to screw the game mechanics up so badly. There are things that can be fixed by just giving it some time, like the lack of content in the (supposedly) infinite universe, but optimization for example needs some major reworking which cannot be done without overhauling core game components.

Machine

Arbiter
Game made for ocd pixel asset collectors and "builders", devs dont seem to play any other aspect of the game. Combat is shit, progression is shit, world generation is shit, character system is shit, no depth. It will maybe be good in a year or so when they actually get some work done on actual game and not release incomplete mess just so they dont get lynched by their backers. Not worth the time to pirate even.

tl;dr banal,shit,boring

Mofleaker

Educated
Friend gifted this to me so we could play together. Really rough around the edges and not very much fun to play. It has potential, as all minecraft clones do, but if you buy it you're not going to have a real game for a few months at the very least (unless you really love building shit).

Unbelievably shitty interface considering how well Terraria's worked, stupid AI, and the horribly pixilated art style is really getting old. Consider the game an investment rather than a purchase.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom