Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter StarCrawlers - indie sci-fi dungeon crawling RPG

Angthoron

Arcane
Re: Ninjas sucking - you shouldn't solo with a Ninja, their skills synergize very heavily with other party members, just check the special conditions on their abilities. Once those are fulfilled, Ninja is actually pretty kick-ass, being able to do 2-3 attacks per "round".

Loriac

Arcane
Its not a roguelike, people should use this term properly instead of jumping on the bandwagon because its an apparently popular label to slap onto your game these days.

Technically you can't save in roguelikes except for a single save that gets deleted when you die.

You can save at the base screen, and into multiple slots. You can also revive characters which isn't normally possible in a roguelike (though you do get a game-over screen if everyone dies, but you can reload the last save or autosave).

Also, in the starting mission you can find a hidden panel with some loot in the first room (the room with the 'hidden' button to open the door). If you grab this stash, you get credits and a shield. That plus the credits from completing the mission should get you just over 100 credits; use this to recruit a second team member before setting out on the 2nd mission with the tough-ish end boss in the crate, and you should find it a walk in the park.

Smuggler is maybe the strongest starting character in the game (though this is a very short-term thing) because of the akimbo ability which doubles your pistol shots as a passive ability. I'd imagine that your choice of class + smuggler using the credits found above should be enough to easily take out the 1st boss on any difficulty level.

When you finish the first mission and are taken back to the shop lady DO NOT PAY HER THE 200 to fix the robot. You need every single dime to hire a party of 4, or you are probably all going to die. Unfortunately this is currently bugged and you can't ask her about the robot again.

This looks like a problem but if you check the bar you'll see you can recruit the robot without paying the 200 and without speaking to her again. Seems like a bug more than anything else, but may be useful to know if you're cheap.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Jasede. Saw you ask in the other thread if Star Crawlers is a fun blobber. I think it is. Needs more time in development but seems to be going in the right direction. What I found surprising is how atmospheric the whole thing is already. Even the conversations are decent. Pleasantly enough the female pilot for instance turns out not to be a cute chirpy chick but a cynical greedy bitch who gladly sends you into peril for credits. Another positive is the amount of little events you can experience. I like. Glad I backed this.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Mmm, I think I'll get it. I am always a bit iffy on early access, but Darkest Dungeon didn't disappoint either. Sure, it was kind of unfinished, but It got me ~30 hours of fun for 15$. That's a great value, considering I can enjoy the game again, for free, when it's done.

Loriac

Arcane
So far, no real exploration beyond spotting things like cred sticks lying around or containers of loot.

Possibly hidden compartments etc in the maps, but I haven't seen any beyond the one in the first mission.

I think per the original design ideas, there will be things like hacking etc (this is limited at the moment to control boxes for nearby traps as far as I can tell) and it would be good if the devs can put in more exploration type things, including e.g. computer controlled doors etc to open up parts of the map if you have the right skills etc.

ColCol

Arcane
I played an early mission too, with a three person party, and got my ass handed to me. I did not prepare well, I guess. Will give it another try.

I played on easy for a while until I figured some stuff out. Started a new game on Normal. This is working well for me so far:

Me : Smuggler - They have shit skills once they get Shoot First they will OWN all combat. On occasion they get some dialogue options in missions.
Hacker: Give them the Virus: Hotlink skill. This will slow enemies and will save your ass.
Soldier: Give them the throw grenades skill and then the Crack Shot skill.
Force Psycher: give them Aegis Strike. That will place a field around the person with the lowest hitpoints and might save their ass if their shields go out.

When you finish the first mission and are taken back to the shop lady DO NOT PAY HER THE 200 to fix the robot. You need every single dime to hire a party of 4, or you are probably all going to die. Unfortunately this is currently bugged and you can't ask her about the robot again.

I went on a mission with four party members. Notably, the next mission was much easier and 4 party members seemed like overkill. I currently have an engineer in my party (I'm a sucker for pet classes). His bots provide a another target for enemies and this helps keeps party members alive longer.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That sounds and looks very nice. Will buy when it is released - but somehow I thought you could create your whole party, meh :?

*technically* you DO make your party. There are no stats, but you choose the classes you want in your party and you do get to decide how they will level up skill wise.

Like you could have a party of 4 smugglers, or 4 Ninjas or a balanced party of 4 different classes etc...

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
That sounds and looks very nice. Will buy when it is released - but somehow I thought you could create your whole party, meh :?

*technically* you DO make your party. There are no stats, but you choose the classes you want in your party and you do get to decide how they will level up skill wise.

Like you could have a party of 4 smugglers, or 4 Ninjas or a balanced party of 4 different classes etc...

Hmm well that doesn't give the joy of spending lots of time in character creation but I guess I shouldn't complain, it's not like we are drowning in turn based blobbers :/

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Re: Ninjas sucking - you shouldn't solo with a Ninja, their skills synergize very heavily with other party members, just check the special conditions on their abilities. Once those are fulfilled, Ninja is actually pretty kick-ass, being able to do 2-3 attacks per "round".

OK cool! I haven't checked out their skills yet, perhaps I should.

ColCol

Arcane

Actually, unless it was a glitch, the game did not let me have party members of the same type.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
OK I thought you could (I just tried and yeah, you can't have the same classes).

So I saved my game, and selected one of the RED EXTREME missions and prayed, and actually it was pretty easy. :M

Loriac

Arcane
OK I thought you could (I just tried and yeah, you can't have the same classes).

So I saved my game, and selected one of the RED EXTREME missions and prayed, and actually it was pretty easy. :M

Is that on the standard difficulty?

I've been trying the hardcore difficulty (whatever the one to the extreme right is called) and its brutal, mainly because the mobs hit hard and you can't heal beyond the health packs you have.

There are huge balance issues with the game at the moment however, and its linked to the randomness of the weapons you get - once you get hold of hard hitting weapons, the game becomes a lot easier. Although even then it seems that at the harder difficulties its about alpha strikes with hard hitting attacks rather than grinding out wins slowly against trash mobs.

Maelflux

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just took it for a spin. It seems really well-done at a first glance. I look forward to seeing the final product!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Is that on the standard difficulty?

Yeah this is just on standard difficulty.

I've been trying the hardcore difficulty (whatever the one to the extreme right is called) and its brutal, mainly because the mobs hit hard and you can't heal beyond the health packs you have.

There are huge balance issues with the game at the moment however, and its linked to the randomness of the weapons you get - once you get hold of hard hitting weapons, the game becomes a lot easier. Although even then it seems that at the harder difficulties its about alpha strikes with hard hitting attacks rather than grinding out wins slowly against trash mobs.

Yeah same here. I have a party of level 10+ (on standard level). Because of the loot, we are all walking Gods of Destruction.

I'll give this a try again when they add a new patch.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
It looks pretty good but I just cant get past the movement on rails. why cant they make a blobber with free movement?

Bought the game. It is an odd, patchwork mix between the casual and the hardcore.

I posted my synopsis on another thread, so to spare you details, some of the mechanics seem de-balanced, and the environments and enemies seem bland, even for a procedural world. Character skill trees are simplistic, but the skills themselves are interesting, even without passive bonuses tacked on to each skill. Puzzles can be trying, hard but not devious. It has potential, if they can simply merge the existing complexities, such as the multiple dialogue choices and puzzle elements with the minimalistic blobber approach, and it's simplistic, pyramid-style skilltree.

Environments are too homogenized to be interesting. Weapons are also random, and upgradeable. Needs a little more time in the oven, as this cake is still half-dough. And the imbalances, including entire questlines missing, and classes being debalanced, need to be reworked before final product is worth buying. I would suggest playing in fifteen minute increments, or holding onto your money, as at least 30% of the game needs tidying up.

da_rays

Augur
Caved in , got this a few hours ago. This game feel like Etrian Odyssey married Star wars and gave us this unholy child. Mind you , he's gonna be a cool kid to have around. Pretty much liike a few peoples said , it's not polish , but got a lot good things for an EA title.

Indeed smuggler is just too nice top have on the team for the extra dialogue option , Engineer saved my C-Ninja ass after he walked on a pressure plate trap. Just added a 4th member for the 4th mission. Hacker it is. I wonder how Rep is gonna go around doing stuff. Does ( will? ) it affect other thing than jobs listing?

Last mission didnt wield the 100 credit ive barganed for , cuz i kept the item for myself ( Tactital vest was too tempting )
Does every mission does that? like 1-3 choices for mission completion , which i like very veyr much.

Overall , its shaping very nicely, im encouraging people who are eyeing this and want to try it out , keep your cherry if you can .

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Last mission didnt wield the 100 credit ive barganed for , cuz i kept the item for myself ( Tactital vest was too tempting )
Does every mission does that? like 1-3 choices for mission completion , which i like very veyr much.

Playing a smuggler, if you go on fetch missions there is always a dialogue option to keep the items.

As for the reputation, the only thing I can think of is, perhaps it will affect items you can buy (find in the store)? That's my best guess. I don't think they have stated yet what that will eventually do(?)

da_rays

Augur
I see , still good to see loads of faction in the game. I hope its gonna be a bit more than having access to more stuff. I could see X faction helping you on Y mission using Z ( could be from getting med kits to unlocking a door , giving you access to a place where you couldnt go normally and so on~ )

I'd love to see Titan metallurgy helping me ''moving'' a crane or something in the randomized mine / cave style dungeon. They could fit / match dungeon design ( mine , lab , factory etc etc ) with various faction that could wield bonus / penalty / tweak difficulty of the current place your exploring. One can dream~

If you can handle Weeaboo, Operation Abyss, another Sci-Fi blobber is coming out on the 3DS.

It is Atlus, thus shows potential--has a lot to do with gene splicing, rather than candy-cutter character classes.

Could go either way. I am gonna wait a few months then retry Starcrawlers...

If you can handle Weeaboo, Operation Abyss, another Sci-Fi blobber is coming out on the 3DS.

It is coming to 3DS? I thought it was just a Vita game?

Damn. You are correct. I got my games screwed up, there are several dungeon crawls, inlcuding two new Etrian Odysseys for 3DS, for both.

And another SMT game. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom