Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter StarCrawlers - indie sci-fi dungeon crawling RPG

Caved in , got this a few hours ago. This game feel like Etrian Odyssey married Star wars and gave us this unholy child. Mind you , he's gonna be a cool kid to have around. Pretty much liike a few peoples said , it's not polish , but got a lot good things for an EA title.

Indeed smuggler is just too nice top have on the team for the extra dialogue option , Engineer saved my C-Ninja ass after he walked on a pressure plate trap. Just added a 4th member for the 4th mission. Hacker it is. I wonder how Rep is gonna go around doing stuff. Does ( will? ) it affect other thing than jobs listing?

Last mission didnt wield the 100 credit ive barganed for , cuz i kept the item for myself ( Tactital vest was too tempting )
Does every mission does that? like 1-3 choices for mission completion , which i like very veyr much.

Overall , its shaping very nicely, im encouraging people who are eyeing this and want to try it out , keep your cherry if you can .

I always figured this game would be about "fun" rather than depth. It is more filler between the release of Wasteland and Torment sequel.

da_rays

Augur
Sadly right now , its just an empty shell. Beautiful shell nonetheless , but thats about it. System seem pretty solid for what i saw , equipment is another thing tho, my ''hard hitter'' is my hacker. Why? Since the shop dont sell me weapon ( yet?) , the 2 only weapon i founded was a pistol and a SMG. SMG got around 60ish dmg per hit ( !!!! ) and the crappy shotgun from my engineer do 2-8 dmg , something like that. If they can put a nice Rep system , a few big goals , some solid C&C , then we are in business. And now back to Poe.....Fuhuhuhu

Eyeball

Arcane
Jesus, you guys....

Starcrawlers is a randomly generated blobber. It's not SUPPOSED to be about deep emowshonal storytelling or Ceeennceee. It's essentially a JRPG-combat version of Shadowrun for Genesis, a game which the devs openly admit drawing a lot of inspiration from, which was also all about randomly generated dungeon crawls to grind for loot and XP.

So far, it delivers pretty well in that respect and I personally feel it is a very strong contender for GOTY 2015 if they manage to build upon what is already in the beta. But don't expect it to be something it never even claimed to be - that would be like expecting your microwave to give you a blowjob.

da_rays

Augur
Jesus, you guys....

Starcrawlers is a randomly generated blobber. It's not SUPPOSED to be about deep emowshonal storytelling or Ceeennceee. It's essentially a JRPG-combat version of Shadowrun for Genesis, a game which the devs openly admit drawing a lot of inspiration from, which was also all about randomly generated dungeon crawls to grind for loot and XP.

So far, it delivers pretty well in that respect and I personally feel it is a very strong contender for GOTY 2015 if they manage to build upon what is already in the beta. But don't expect it to be something it never even claimed to be - that would be like expecting your microwave to give you a blowjob.

I totally agree ( Even the microwave part ) I dont necesserally want some Deep rich story , and multi branching dialogue with weighful C&C , but if they offer something that would push me toward doing x kind of mission for x faction to unlock / have access to new stuff / place / specialized gear. Storytelling a rich story and having a few goals / motivations and so on aint the same thing to my ears. They have a nice solid fundation , im not hoping for anything , but would be fun to see new feature. but thats just my 2 cents. Still having a blast with this game. just wish i could find others weapon ^^

Could be. They seem to be inputting feedback.

I also like that we are getting a roadmap, along with daily patches. The premature version felt like a reskinned M&M game set in a cyberpunk universe.

Incoming final release date?

On the Steam page they're saying no. Still a lot of balancing to do after they ran through the character abilities. They need to balance the economy, balance loot tables, add monster abilities, add more of the main quest, add side quests - including side quests that operate like chains, and stuff like that.

Basically, they're finished with the bones - now they need to add the meat.

Also - fuck I've just played it about ten hours over the past couple of days, and the bones are fucking goooooooooooood. Character classes are varied, skills are interesting. The sad thing is some classes are rather ineffective - especially hackers - and some seem very powerful in comparison. I've found the Smuggler as the OP class. With auto-dual-wield pistols, they're really fast. With one of their skills they always attack (for like 85% of WP) first when they're attacked, and some of their skills shorten their already short attack time. Basically, they'll attack constantly, and additionally they have a skill that will offset their VERY high threat by hiding behind the highest HP character on your team (who is also probably wearing huge armor and has good shields).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On the Steam page they're saying no. Still a lot of balancing to do after they ran through the character abilities. They need to balance the economy, balance loot tables, add monster abilities, add more of the main quest, add side quests - including side quests that operate like chains, and stuff like that.

Basically, they're finished with the bones - now they need to add the meat.

Also - fuck I've just played it about ten hours over the past couple of days, and the bones are fucking goooooooooooood. Character classes are varied, skills are interesting. The sad thing is some classes are rather ineffective - especially hackers - and some seem very powerful in comparison. I've found the Smuggler as the OP class. With auto-dual-wield pistols, they're really fast. With one of their skills they always attack (for like 85% of WP) first when they're attacked, and some of their skills shorten their already short attack time. Basically, they'll attack constantly, and additionally they have a skill that will offset their VERY high threat by hiding behind the highest HP character on your team (who is also probably wearing huge armor and has good shields).

Sounds good, tell me when to put it on the Steam curator

Eyeball

Arcane
The point of the hacker isn't to hit things - I mainly use him for his very useful speed boosting skill, which enables you to spam AoEs with your soldier or cyborg a lot easier.

The point of the hacker isn't to hit things - I mainly use him for his very useful speed boosting skill, which enables you to spam AoEs with your soldier or cyborg a lot easier.
I know what a support unit is. I'm just saying he's not necessarily worth it.

getter77

Augur
If they can maintain even half as good a dev pace on post-release support and additions as they have during the Early Access phase---this game is definitely going to set something of a standard as far as how to approach something in this niche.

The tone of the game when I played it was rather drab, mundane, and uninteresting. The game flat out looked, felt, and played like cardboard. I am not sure how it's come along recently, but when I first played this, it felt very cookie cutter and generic. Anyone want to fill in the blank on how its come along since then?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://steamcommunity.com/games/318970/announcements/

Unity 5 Update Inbound!

Updating to Unity 5

During test builds of the next update we started to encounter issues with Unity 4.6’s ability to compile the project (there’s a lot in there, and Unity 4.6 can only address 3 gigs of memory to build - then it crashes). One solution would be to reduce the quality of or remove assets to allow the project to compile, and while that worked early on, it’s become increasingly problematic and undesirable - we want to add MORE!

Originally the benefits of moving to Unity 5 were outweighed by the benefits of sticking with 4.6, but that has now reached the tipping point:
  • Unity 5 supports offers Auto API update (switches a lot of code from 4.6 to 5 automatically)
  • Unity 5 can address as much memory as it needs to build, ending the build issue for us.
  • Unity 5 offers features that will improve how StarCrawlers plays, looks and feels.
  • Unity is ending support for 4.6.
The biggest hurdle with switching to Unity 5 was supposed to be converting our entire codebase (StarCrawlers currently has over 223,500 lines of code) but I’m extremely happy to announce that part is DONE - we were able to update and fix the entirety of the code in less than a day!

There are some minor animation, graphic, UI, and general transition wonkiness that needs to be resolved, but given how quickly the code was addressed, we’re optimistic about committing to the full transition to Unity 5.

What this means :
A brief delay before the next update while we complete the transition to Unity 5 and ensure the game is smooth and stable on all platforms- then we’ll be back with even more to show. In the meantime, these guys are on their way…

ujiLC1j.gif

Here’s the TLDR version:
We’re moving to Unity 5! There will be a brief delay while we update the project, but it means more good stuff for the future.

Thank you everyone for your support!!!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
There is going to be a HUGE update on October 16th, AND they finally put back in being able to move with the mouse. yay <3

A new update is out. Removes level caps on armor, adds the black market, adds more variety to dungeons, adds more enemy variety.

Haven't given it a spin yet, but seems like it responds to a lot of the flaws.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They also put the game in a new engine, so that's cool too. I'll try to play around with this later this week.

They also put the game in a new engine, so that's cool too. I'll try to play around with this later this week.
It took forever to load when I was going to give it a spin last night. Might hvae just been because I was on my laptop though.

Renevent

Cipher
Played it over the weekend, game is getting really good. Rolled a new party since I haven't played in a few months:

Soldier - focusing on demo skills which are great AOE
Prototype - Starts off kinda weak but once you get aegis mode he's a beast
Void Psyker - interesting class, has a lot of potential but requires you to pay attention. If you get too much void energy can backfire and hurt your party. Doing the summon tree and starting to really shine.
Force Psyker - decent aoe damage and started unlocking some lockdown/debuff skills

So far (level 10) seems like an excellent party setup. I think between soldier's hellfire salvo (ok damage, but has a DoT as well), void psykers DoT (miasma), and prototype's aegis mode nothing really lasts longer than 2 or 3 rounds. Enjoying the new stuff they've added since the last time I've played. Found a couple unique items (1 from the black market, which is also a nice money sink). Levels seem to have more meat to them, with some interesting twists like scripted areas and puzzles.

Not sure what the road map for this game looks like or when they will be finished with it, but if they stay on track it could turn into one of my favorite turn-based blobbers.

Game def deserves more attention, and for those who like this genre might be the right time to really take a look at it.

Renevent

Cipher
I'd say so, has anyone played it recently that wouldn't recommend it? I mean it's a turn based blobber with good combat, varied classes and skills, nice visuals, and randomized dungeons. I don't think my taste in games is quite as monocled as most folks here, but this is pretty much what I would expect the type of game most here would love (well, at least the combat fags). Little surprised there's not a lot more talk about Starcrawlers on this forum tbh...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom