Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter StarCrawlers - indie sci-fi dungeon crawling RPG

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Been playing this instead of Tyranny, it's addictive alright. Heavily combat focussed, with some flavour dialogues and skill checks sprinkled in.

The procedurally generated side missions are getting a bit repetitive aber 17 hours played, but the main storyline (with faction-based branching) is good fun to fight through. You can tell they're in a late stage of Early Access - the game is already more polished than 95% of AAA RPGs feel at launch. The biggest signs that it's unfinished are some missing flavour text, some stats that aren't shown on the stat screen, and the incomplete main storyline.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I've been playing this for several years now, and yeah, it is MUCH more polished and almost finished. This game has changed A LOT over the years (and in a GOOD way).

This is NOT like Dungeon Rat's, this is more blobber/jRPG type combat. This isn't anywhere near the complexity of combat in Dungeon Rats.

Still, this is a FUN and addictive little turn-based blobber. Still having fun with it. :shittydog:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Better or worse than Labyrinth of Touhou 2? I'm stuck on a OSX laptop and I would love to play a blobber that's just as good.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyone care to comment on party customization? Last time I looked it seemed like 5 classes or something, not much room to build a party that's your own. Since making and advancing my characters is my favorite part of RPGs, haven't paid attention to this at all. Sell me.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Anyone care to comment on party customization? Last time I looked it seemed like 5 classes or something, not much room to build a party that's your own. Since making and advancing my characters is my favorite part of RPGs, haven't paid attention to this at all. Sell me.

The amount of classes is still about the same. While you DO build up your party and characters, it ISN'T very complex.

It is (I hesitate to use the word) CASUAL, but it IS a little more complex. Some of the Story Missions are actually rather complex to finish and complete.

If you are looking for a DEEP cRPG, go play something else. However, if you just want to have a bit of casual fun, I do recommend it. However, I would wait until this is actually finished, AND if they provide a DEMO, I would would recommend you try the demo and see if this is to your liking. Or perhaps watch some video's of the gameplay.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Jaesun

how is the QUALTIY OF the map LAYOUTS? When I PLAYED AN EARLY BUILD it was extremely simple.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jaesun

how is the QUALTIY OF the map LAYOUTS? When I PLAYED AN EARLY BUILD it was extremely simple.

The STORY layout's go from quite simple to VERY complex (they ramp up in difficulty as you go on).

The random mission maps, are for the most part quite simple. Though sometimes elements can cause some challenge. For example the party is heavily wounded, and have NOT found all the objectives yet. And you don't have any more healing packs. Do you risk going on, or just abandon the mission etc...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
it is well supported, good etc?

It is very well supported, and the Devs have a very clear idea of how they want their game to be.

I do wish there was just a demo, so people could play a little and see if they might like this. I enjoy it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
How is it compared to Xulima? I liked Xulima, but just a bit more grindy/simple character customization than that and I'm probably out.

ColCol

Arcane
How is it compared to Xulima? I liked Xulima, but just a bit more grindy/simple character customization than that and I'm probably out.

It is simple, nothing much to it. Feels like a turnbased legend of grimrock. I would say it is not too grindy though, and it has a nice "flavor"/feeling.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

It is a bit more simplistic, in the character creation. I don't think you would like this. I DO give them credit for some well designed "Story Mission" dungeons (as opposed to the random ones).

This is NO where near as complex as Xulima.

I picked up a copy via the Steam Winter sale during the Christmas holidays, been playing it for the past week and a bit. Great game. Very polished for EA, like an earlier poster stated they must be in the late stages by now. Personally, I found that the interplay between factions was quite interesting, and some of the events that can happen as a result of pissing off one faction by getting into their bad books, or by simply not doing something they would like you to do, very cool. The skill trees for characters, or "crawlers" is a mite on the simplistic side, but they are unique and definitely add flavour to the game. Speaking of unique, combat is just that - UNIQUE - and really fun and easy. The devs really implemented a great, easy-to-use combat model. The maps run the gambit from very simple, to very challenging, depending on the mission. Itemization has been done very well, with great per item upgrade slots, that you need to pay for, as well. I could go on and on. All in all, thumbs up from me !

Picked it up on sale, finally sank 35 ish hours in it acc to steam. I agree with most of what Tom Baker's Arse said.

But one thing I absolutely hate about StarCrawlers is the shitty lighting. Most areas are dark and u get a flashlight to illuminate it. It sounds good and adds atmoshpere BUT many of the surfaces are reflective, and your torch reflects raping your eyes and burning it. You can't turn off reflections either. So its a constant switch on/off so that you don't miss hidden money. containers, etc.

Picked it up on sale, finally sank 35 ish hours in it acc to steam. I agree with most of what Tom Baker's Arse said.

But one thing I absolutely hate about StarCrawlers is the shitty lighting. Most areas are dark and u get a flashlight to illuminate it. It sounds good and adds atmoshpere BUT many of the surfaces are reflective, and your torch reflects raping your eyes and burning it. You can't turn off reflections either. So its a constant switch on/off so that you don't miss hidden money. containers, etc.

Agreed on the shitty lighting. Another thing that bugs the crap out of me is that the mystery crates you buy on the black market are not random, but are the same for every game load. i.e. there is no RNG involved when you open each crate - hate what you got, quit your game and reload

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah the lighting changes they did was really dumb. I GET why they did it, but it just is done bad (so far).

Deleted Member 16721

I might take a peek at this in the future. When I saw it awhile back it looked a bit boring thematically. Space stations that didn't look too exciting to explore. Are there varied maps?

Someone asked about building a party with 5 classes. Lords of Xulima (which I'm playing now) has 9 classes, but there are many ways to build different characters within those classes. For example, my Cleric is a two-handed mace user, so she does a lot of raw damage + a decent stun. However, her Attack Rating takes a hit (i.e. her chance to hit) by using such a heavy two-handed weapon. BUT, if I bolster her Agility enough it will help to negate the Attack Rate hit. I also have chosen to develop her Light Ray spell more over healing spells. One reason for this is to have another high damage spell to cast at any enemy in any row (which is always a plus for tough back row enemies), plus my Divine Summoner has invested a bit in the healing/cure bleeding summon. So essentially my Cleric splits healing duties with the summon in exchange for dealing better physical damage and supporting with a Mage-style spell + stun effectiveness with her weapon.

Of course, you could make a basic healing Cleric as well. Or, you could focus on her status effect relieving abilities and leave more of the healing to item usage + the healing summon. It also varies how you outfit the armor. I chose to focus a bit on her armor ability so she can be a decent front-row fighter and use heavier armor.

One caveat is that the loot system does have room for improvement, mainly in items having truly special or unique effects. There are a lot of items of varying quality, but it seems like there are not a ton of raw enchantments, so you'll see many enchantments (which are basic, Platinum Helmet of Organic Protection, Cloth King's Cloak, etc.) repeat, with the main difference being the effectiveness of the enchantments, the armor rating and the overall value of the item. It's not terrible, but I would have liked to see Unique-style weapons/armors/items, such as The Bleeder (a giant claymore that does huge bleeding damage) or The Flail of Fail (causes a big stun but is harder to swing accurately and doesn't do as much raw damage) and this sort of thing. Those are only basic examples off the top of my head.

As for the character building stuff, there's a lot of this sort of thing in the game. Party synergy in a game like this is more important than the base class you choose, so really it's more about how you develop your individual characters + their synergy within the whole party, IMO.

get hacker to lv12 and max exmachina. get soldier lv12 with juggernaut and bloodragr maxed. put in two other damage dealers. i prefer prototype with right tree and cyberninja with left tree. best party ever. just load the hacker with lots of initiative boosting gear and use ex machina as soon as possible . keep on raoing enemies while the lighting rapes your eyes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cool, I'll post about this tomorrow.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/318970/announcements/detail/236843916082626731

Boss Mode, Lore Items & 30+ new achievements and… Launch Date!
4 APRIL - THUNDERFLUX
ysd3haX.gif

The final patch of Early Access is live and StarCrawlers will be launching on
May 16th!

NEW FEATURE: Boss Mode
  • The corps are sick of your meddling and have deployed bosses to defend their property!
  • Boss mobs can now spawn on all generated missions, increasing in strength, ability and loot rarity as you level up or choose harder missions. Boss mobs have several unique abilities and present a substantially tougher threat than average mobs.
  • At level 5+, bosses have a chance to spawn. This chance scales to 100% at higher levels.
  • Corporations that are hostile to you have have an increased chance to spawn bosses.
  • At level 25+, specialized boss squads may deploy that present a unique challenge.
  • At level 25+, bosses have a chance to drop named legendary weapons and gear.
  • NOTE : Named Legendary drops will not be active until launch day!
    1bK0oYv.gif

NEW FEATURE: Lore Items
  • Inquisitive crawlers can now find Lore Items on their adventures that contain information concerning the different factions in the StarCrawlers universe.
  • Collected lore items can be reviewed in the Info Log under the new Dossier tab.
  • Collecting all 5 Lore Items for a subject and compiling them grants a unique Dossier item that can be auctioned at the Black Market.

NEW FEATURE: Eon Trading
  • A private buyer has contracted with Draal in the Black Market to acquire Eon Cubes from the corps. Draal is trading exotic gear in exchange for Eon Cubes ‘obtained’ on your runs.

NEW FEATURE: Steam Achievements
  • Added 30 Steam Achievements - more will be activated at launch!

Save / Load
  • Story and Normal difficulty games are now able to create mid-mission saves at any time.
  • Challenge and Hardcore difficulty games continue to have access to Quicksave and Exit.
  • Abort Mission has been removed. To successfully exit a mission, you’ll have to make it to one of several conveniently lit exit doors. No free escapes :D
  • It is now possible to Exit to Title from within a mission without saving progress.

Maps & Gear
  • Shields no longer prevent critical hits. Based on user feedback and testing, fun charge abilities that build through crits were being severely restrained by crit-proof shields. Note this means mobs can crit through your shields too...
  • Armor now also blocks elemental damage. Blocking only physical damage made choosing heavier armors an inferior choice. With improved crit-proofing, health boosting, and the removal of the standard TU penalty, heavy armor should be a more attractive choice.
  • Added new themed items and item spawn locations to all map types.
  • Reduced mob combat drop rate and increased drop rates on gear. As a result, mobs will start dropping less cred loot and start dropping more gear.
  • Fixed missing icons for Alyssa Tickets and Christina Faith Headshot items (will not affect items already in inventory)
  • No longer possible for Draal to steal the Prototype’s AI Core or prevent the player from canceling an auction with no bidders, forcing them to sell the item.
  • Black Market, Shop, and Medbay refresh inventory if you wait instead of taking a mission in the Bar.
  • Expanded player stash to hold 32 items.
  • Repair Kits no longer spawn in the shop as they (currently) have no use.

Levelling & Missions
  • Recalculated XP levels to include New Game+ and New Game ++ scaling. XP requirements and distribution from quests / mobs will ramp faster at lower levels.
  • Adjusted XP gains from missions to add more reward boosting when running Challenging / Extreme missions, reduce gains from Cakewalk / Easy missions.
  • Adjusted cred rewards from missions to add more differentiation based on difficulty overall.
  • Added IntelliFoam Canisters to give you a shot of xp. Use them immediately or save them for those lazy crawlers hanging back at STIX. YOU DECIDE!

Mobs
  • In response to crawler aggression, mobs have learned new tricks.
  • Shield absorption by mobs has been standardized. Each shield charge will absorb the same amount for a mob of a given level.
  • Max shield charges on several common mobs reduced.
  • Mob armor block has been standardized. Armor will block the same amount for a mob of a given level.

Misc
  • Inventory items in your Backpack or Stash can be swapped by dropping icons on each other.
  • Fixed doors getting confused about their state if a mob was defeated next to an open door.
  • Fixed an issue preventing combat effects triggered from events (ex: Smuggler killing a mob before combat begins) being applied correctly.
  • Effects that cannot be purged / cleansed are displayed with different icons in combat to make them distinct from buffs / debuffs.
  • Fixed Cyberninja’s Expose Weakness incorrectly stating it consumes all Combo Points on the target - it does not!
  • Fixed Cyberninja’s Flurry incorrectly calculating damage range based on Combo Points.
  • Fixed Void Psyker’s Cosmic Horror not gaining charges from Blind or Vulnerability.
  • Fixed Void Psyker’s Miasma not becoming available to cast again after expiring.
  • Fixed tooltips for Cyberninja Dash in Ability and combat.
  • Fixed the Cursed Cube of Atroxxis appearing in maps and attempting to suck your soul into the ether. If you accidently looked into its Hideous Shadowy Depths and this occured, please consider filing a bug report - thanks Cybrid 0x0t2md2W!
  • Optimized load times when returning from a mission to STIX.
  • Minor text fixes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom