Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

StarLife Game - Early development - Feedback is welcome

Do you like the concept of StarLife?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It looks okay.

• No.

• It looks like gorilla crap!

• I don't know, who cares?

• Total voters

St. Toxic

Arcane
So, is Prosper in on this project yet? Because, whether you're talking concept art, sprites or 3d models Prosper is the man for the job. :salute:

tiagocc0

Arcane
St. Toxic said:
So, is Prosper in on this project yet? Because, whether you're talking concept art, sprites or 3d models Prosper is the man for the job. :salute:

Don't know the guy, is he usually here on the Codex?

St. Toxic

Arcane
Like many great artists, however, he can be difficult to work and communicate with. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns down your offer of video-game fame in favor of some other artistic endeavor, but it wouldn't hurt having a creative genius of his magnitude on your team.

Tell you what though. I'll take a look at MOO for some inspiration, and maybe I can contribute with some art assets myself. I'm no Prosper, but I have some background in design.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Excidium said:
He's usually here in the codex like a tapeworm is usually in a third worldian child.

Here's a sample of his wonderful work: http://www.youtube.com/user/BLUEEYESSEV ... CmNf_Jr18k

Thanks, I will take a look.

St. Toxic said:
Like many great artists, however, he can be difficult to work and communicate with. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns down your offer of video-game fame in favor of some other artistic endeavor, but it wouldn't hurt having a creative genius of his magnitude on your team.

Tell you what though. I'll take a look at MOO for some inspiration, and maybe I can contribute with some art assets myself. I'm no Prosper, but I have some background in design.

That would be great! Thanks!
I will try to get in touch with him.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Hi there, sorry for the lack of update, I've been playing a little with Sculptris and I've been asked to do a short paper for this event: http://www.sbgames.org/sbgames2011/

Next week I will be able to post a new update about the tactical combat and then start doing the empire management.

tiagocc0

Arcane
curry said:
smells like vapourware

I will be doing the project in my free time, please don't expect me to work 24/7 on this as I have to pay my bills. ;)

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Hey tiagocc0 - are there any News on the project?
I've also succesfully invited a friend of mine to the codex because he liked what he was reading here, take it as a compliment. :)

tiagocc0

Arcane
Surf Solar said:
Hey tiagocc0 - are there any News on the project?
I've also succesfully invited a friend of mine to the codex because he liked what he was reading here, take it as a compliment. :)

That's a great compliment indeed, thank you!
Sorry for the lack of update, I've only been able to write some info about the races I will use on the game, but just later on development. But I'm updating the site to display all the info I've got so far, expect the site to be updated today or tomorrow.

The races are not the most original, but as far as gameplay goes I think they are interesting enough to offer a different style of game while still being manageable.

I have abandoned the Tactical Combat application, I will return to it when I have some time to code as to make it a little more precise and easy to use.

After that I will start making the core of the engine (space colony management), that will be the most interesting part so far, I just don't wanna to jump into it with the other pieces unfinished.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Some news:

I've been coding the tactical combat application and got some things done that I wanted to do, some other things that I wanted to do requires some heavy knowledge about hexadecimal maps so I'm leaving that for later.

I got a 10 days vacation so I'm using this time to code the game, I want to release another alpha version of the tactical combat in the next few days.

Here's some quick planing about how I'm going to develop the database to hold the game info.
starlifeplan2.png

Here's a little explanation about the DB.

When you create a race (directly in the DB) you have to link one or more technology trees to it, so we could have a basic technology tree that would be common to all races and some technology trees that are specific to something like a technology tree about psychic abilities.

A race can also have none, one or more perks, perks would be like +2 production per unit, subterranean warlord and other things you would choose at the race creation screen in MOO2.

A technology tree will have a bunch of technologies.

A technology can have a game modifier (plus 10% to ship combat, plus 1 to trade routes) and can also unlock a ship component to be used (shield IV, pulsar weapon) or unlock a building (star port, hydroponic farms)

A Ship Template will hold several ship components and will be used to build ships at colonies

A building will also be used at colonies and will have one or more game modifiers

A perk will have one or more game modifiers

A planet type will have none, one or more game modifiers

I think this will be able to hold a very simple version of MOO2 for now, this is what I'm going for right now :salute:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
All of this sounds very good, prone to pleasure us with many different playthroughs. :)

However - when I want to access your image you linked to:

Code:
Access Denied
The owner of this website (www.purpleorangegames.com) does not allow hotlinking to that resource (/starlifeplan2.png). (Ref. 1011)

tiagocc0

Arcane
Surf Solar said:
All of this sounds very good, prone to pleasure us with many different playthroughs. :)

Thanks!

Surf Solar said:
However - when I want to access your image you linked to:

Code:
Access Denied
The owner of this website (www.purpleorangegames.com) does not allow hotlinking to that resource (/starlifeplan2.png). (Ref. 1011)

I edited the link, is it working now?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
It does, thanks! This reminds me that I simply SUCK at creating spreadsheets or elaborate documentations for my own stuff. :< Doing such stuff is pain for me, I don't know why. But it really helps, especially if you work long enough on it and plan to bring others in the team aswell. Anyway, getting offtopic here. :D

tiagocc0

Arcane
Surf Solar said:
It does, thanks! This reminds me that I simply SUCK at creating spreadsheets or elaborate documentations for my own stuff. :< Doing such stuff is pain for me, I don't know why. But it really helps, especially if you work long enough on it and plan to bring others in the team aswell. Anyway, getting offtopic here. :D

I know what you mean, I'm still getting used to it. I noticed that when creating databases this helps me a lot.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Update

I just released a new video http://vimeo.com/34189039

Here's the description:
+Added a bottom menu
+keyboard shortcuts
+path highlighted which shows number of movements
+movement is restricted by blocking enemy ships

Before starting the simulation you can:
+add ships by coordinate
+choose ship image and color
+choose movement and attack range, attack damage
+choose ship hit points
+choose a name for the ship

And you can download and test the demo, it's available on my site:
http://www.purpleorangegames.com
http://purpleorangegames.com/StarLifeTa ... eCombat.7z
If the game does not work please tell me, I may have missed a file.

If you have time please check this out:
http://purpleorangegames.uservoice.com/ ... -star-life
You can suggest anything for the game there and vote on other suggestions, I've left a few there already.

Thank you very much, happy holidays for everyone!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom