Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Stars Without Number Revised

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The best RPG ever made. I highly doubt I ever play another RPG. Yeah, the book costs $60, but you get a bunch of PDF's. 5 stars from everyone that plays it. You can play any type of RPG with this, but unlike GURPS, it has a soul. It's unique and magnificent.

Norfleet

But it makes me wonder how you run out of numbers for stars. I mean, that's what we do when we run out of names for them, we just start giving them numbers. How do you reach the point where you run out of NUMBERS?

Ranarama

Learned
Nobody said they ran out of numbers, just that the stars don't have them.

Technically speaking the ones with names are without number. And so too the ones nobody has gotten around to assigning a number to.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Adding a bunch of OSRIC too. Gonna be the ultimate in space wizardry. Mechs too.

Norfleet

Technically speaking the ones with names are without number. And so too the ones nobody has gotten around to assigning a number to.
Actually, the named ones do have numbers, we just don't generally use them in conversation because humans find number-names unwieldy.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Is this book a monster in terms of page count? The PDF price is fine and I'm probably going to settle for it, but $80 for the premium heavyweight on DriveThru is a little rich for my blood for a casebound hardback. Shit! That's a lot of money for a proper smyth-bound hardback.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
The regular deluxe is $60. It's 321 pages, well constructed and completely worth it. Check out this magnificent interview with Kevin....

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm sort of interested in getting this. How is it for the game master? Does it need a lot of prepping work between sessions like 3E or Pathfinder? I don't always have time to come up with detailed maps and statblocks etc. and I feel like my games sometimes suffer for that reason.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is fairly rules-light, and statting NPCs is easy. I rolled up a few star systems on a lark, and generated a bunch of characters - it all went very smoothly. I have also played in an SWN game, and it was easy to learn, yet robust enough not to feel arbitrary. It strikes a good balance, and comes with a lot of support material right out of the book. (Note that I own the first edition; no idea if the game has changed since then.)

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
SWN is pure incline, and definitely my favourite by far of all the OSR "D&D but sci-fi" games out there that I know of. Also, both editions have a free version which only miss a couple of chapters on Mechs, AIs and AI player characters, tables to generate a planetary society's past and other such things that you can still have a campaign without (though they're useful if you happen to be into that particular thing). The paid version of Revised also has my real name in the Kickstarter backers list, so it's worth the money just for that.

Now, I’ll be mainly talking about the original edition, since I’m more familiar with that. For the DM, creating NPCs is much simpler than in 3E/Pathfinder, though that’s partially due to 3E/Pathfinder being overcomplicated and shit, but that's for a different conversation. If you just need a simple Level X Warrior/Expert/Psionic, there's a stock NPC list, you copy it from there, maybe change its weapon and a skill or two, BLAM, good to go. If you want to go the extra mile, you can roll on some tables for age, motivation, personality quirks and the like.

New alien monsters are also very easy to create: there are stock types like "vermin", "stalker", "multi-limbed horror" etc. with pre-set HP, AC, damage, etc. You then decide if it's insectile, reptilian, avian or whatever, and roll on (or pick from) a list of appropriate special abilities. These don't have hard rules and numbers for them, but you can interpret them freely and easily.

Note that creating a character in Revised is a bit fiddlier, though still nowhere near 3E with a bunch of splatbooks. There are fewer skills, but you also have "foci", which are kind of like feats, and Psionics is no longer "you have mana points and a few skills to spend them on", but a sort of skill tree where you have one or several basic psionic abilities and you can "upgrade" them. Say, as a Biopsionic your basic ability is to stabilise mortally wounded characters with a touch. You can later improve this to heal HP damage, but also give it bells and whistles like area of effect, working at range, healing poison and disease, etc. Still, there are quick character creation rules, and you should be able to write up an NPC in a matter of minutes.

Rules are easy to understand and use at the table, and the skill system is robust without needing a huge list of skills. The rules are also modular: if you don’t like this particular game"s take on poison or disease, you can just replace it with something else and it shouldn’t effect the rest of the game.

Now, GM's preparation. The game really fucking shines here, with the proviso that most of the tools are geared for sandbox adventuring. There’s a LOT of material to help you first set up a campaign (generate your star systems, planets, societies), and then to introduce new elements. A lot of this is down to the tag system: you roll or pick one or two tags for each world, like Badlands World and Minimal Contact. These in turn give you a short list of example friends, enemies, locations, adventure complications and important objects, which usually give you an immediate idea for an adventure or two.

Then there's the Factions system. This is something you’d use between sessions, though your players might also take the reins of a faction. A faction can be anything from a cult through a megacorporation to an entire planetary government. There are abstract "faction turns", say, between adventures, where the factions played out a sort of strategy board game without a board. They build and move assets like Guerilla Populace, Blockade Fleet, Psychic Assassins, Blackmail, Demagogue, Local Investments and Venture Capital. These can be used to "attack" each other, generating military, political and economic conflicts which can set the background for the campaign, or give the PCs adventure hooks.

A lot of this is geared at giving the GM something that he can do largely by following instructions, and which in turn give him adventure ideas. What all this DOESN'T do is give you a step-by-step guide to drawing a good dungeon and stocking it in an interesting sort of way, you'll still have to put your own work in that.

The original edition also has several (for-money) books that give you a lot of extra material if you want to take your campaign in a particular direction: espionage and black ops, space naval action or free traders.

If you're coming at this from a 3E/PF background, then I imagine the biggest hurdle would be the whole old-school mentality of "rulings not rules", sandboxing, and a reactive world where the PCs really affect the world around them in a way which, in turn, generates further adventures - though these are not so much an SWN thing but a general OSR one.

Hope that answered you question. If not, feel free to ask again, maybe more specifically, and I'll try to answer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom