Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Started playing Witcher 3... obviously I now need 200 mods to make it less popamole, more RPG.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
As the topic title says I've started playing the Witcher 3 and to my surprise I'm enjoying it! I began playing it on the recommendation of a friend who was giving me shit about me playing Final Fantasy 15, and my explanation that "I was bored" was no good: he hit me with the argument of "If so bored, at least play good popamole instead of bad popamole" and, perhaps in a moment of weakness I thought to myself: "You know, that's true".

After all Witcher 3 is the #1 RPG of All-Time according to the Codex, and we all know the Codex is never wrong. Anyhoo, to my genuine surprise I've actually been enjoying the game! Obviously now I want mods but I don't feel like spending 2 hours reading through all of the popular mods on the Nexus plus the fact that 90% of what's "popular" is almost always dumb shit that makes the game easier or ruins the original design (or both).

So have it, tell me what I need to download.

TLDR: Started playing Witcher 3 because I wanted a graphically pretty game to show off because I haven't played a modern AAA game in years until recently with FF15, which has re-invigorated my lust for graphics whoring. I lie to myself that I'm enjoying it but deep down I know I'm just playing it for the graphics, since it's just a dumb open world game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
In particular I'm curious about combat mods. So far the combat is satisfactory, but since combat is the one thing you will be doing throughout 90% of the Witcher 3, being an action game after all, I really want to have it be the best possible experience while I'm at it.

Sentinel

Arcane
You don't need to download anything.

Just make sure to turn off the map points of interest in the options, they are absolutely worthless and not worth chasing after like an autist. Ignore them.

The general consensus goes that the expansions are a lot better than the main game.

Last edited:

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
As the topic title says I've started playing the Witcher 3 and to my surprise I'm enjoying it! I began playing it on the recommendation of a friend who was giving me shit about me playing Final Fantasy 15, and my explanation that "I was bored" was no good: he hit me with the argument of "If so bored, at least play good popamole instead of bad popamole" and, perhaps in a moment of weakness I thought to myself: "You know, that's true".

After all Witcher 3 is the #1 RPG of All-Time according to the Codex, and we all know the Codex is never wrong. Anyhoo, to my genuine surprise I've actually been enjoying the game! Obviously now I want mods but I don't feel like spending 2 hours reading through all of the popular mods on the Nexus plus the fact that 90% of what's "popular" is almost always dumb shit that makes the game easier or ruins the original design (or both).

So have it, tell me what I need to download.

TLDR: Started playing Witcher 3 because I wanted a graphically pretty game to show off because I haven't played a modern AAA game in years until recently with FF15, which has re-invigorated my lust for graphics whoring. I lie to myself that I'm enjoying it but deep down I know I'm just playing it for the graphics, since it's just a dumb open world game.
Get the one where Geralt is turned into a girl, and the one where ciri is made default naked.

2house2fly

Magister
Had no real plans to play FF15, but hearing that the gameplay is even worse than Witcher 3 pretty much destroys any interest I might have had

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Naraya

That one seems like a winner: includes an option for less junk loot (fixing the problem of finding more loot in a random peasant hovel than from a quest reward), and it overhauls the alchemy and magic system.

One thing I couldn't find mentioned in the mod's description is if it does anything concerning weapon usage, as in the fact that the Silver Sword is better than all other weapons in the game. Since I'm gonna restart to maximize compatability (I've only played for a few hours) I'd like to know if it does anything concerning weapon usage, or if it touches on skills that in turn make using other non-Silver Sword weapons viable.

Naraya

Arcane
Naraya

That one seems like a winner: includes an option for less junk loot (fixing the problem of finding more loot in a random peasant hovel than from a quest reward), and it overhauls the alchemy and magic system.

One thing I couldn't find mentioned in the mod's description is if it does anything concerning weapon usage, as in the fact that the Silver Sword is better than all other weapons in the game. Since I'm gonna restart to maximize compatability (I've only played for a few hours) I'd like to know if it does anything concerning weapon usage, or if it touches on skills that in turn make using other non-Silver Sword weapons viable.

No, I don't recall it doing anything with weapons. As usual - silver swords will be used to slay monsters while steel ones will be much more effective on humans.

Naraya

Arcane
Personally I don't see a point in playing anything in Witcher world if you played The Witcher 1. It is all basically same game but only more pompamole.
Come on, how can you say this with a straight face? There is orders of magnitude more story in Witcher 3 than in Witcher 1 (which I also love, by the way). Each game has its strengths and weaknesses.

Also BTW, we are probably see more of the series:

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Great, another remaster of a game barely out of development. I blame Bethesda. After their 12th rerelease of skyrim, everyone thinks it's okay to remaster games no matter the age

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Personally I don't see a point in playing anything in Witcher world if you played The Witcher 1. It is all basically same game but only more pompamole.
Come on, how can you say this with a straight face? There is orders of magnitude more story in Witcher 3 than in Witcher 1 (which I also love, by the way). Each game has its strengths and weaknesses.

There may be more story in Witcher 3 but it is mostly bog standard medieval rpg stories with fantasy tropes like "muh ebil apocalyptic army" or "muh magical pixie princess who will return to save muh world." No wonder console plebs love it.

but hey, at least Hearts of Stone is good.

Sentinel

Arcane
Great, another remaster of a game barely out of development. I blame Bethesda. After their 12th rerelease of skyrim, everyone thinks it's okay to remaster games no matter the age
I think it was just a joke bro. If any Witcher game gets a remaster it'd be Witcher 1.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Combat would still be irredeemably shit. And I actually enjoy janky combat mechanics, like vtmb.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I would recommend downloading the mod for endless inventory. It fits the game very well and makes it feel more like gothic game.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Heresy. That is like downloading an endless carry weight mod for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. It destroys the spirit of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom