Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

State of Mind - futuristic sci-fi adventure from Daedalic

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.daedalic.com/state-of-mind

https://af.gog.com/game/state_of_mind?as=1649904300

http://www.pcgamer.com/explore-a-fu...rtual-utopia-in-adventure-game-state-of-mind/

State of Mind is an adventure that takes place in Berlin in the year 2048, a grim future of war, dwindling resources, and government oppression. Things are so bad people have begun abandoning their real lives, digitizing their minds, and transferring themselves into a peaceful virtual utopia called City 5.

The character you play attempts to transfer his mind into that virtual world, but something goes wrong—as things often do when people upload their brains into computers—and you wind up existing in both the real world and City 5 at the same time. You'll attempt to find your family as well as reunite your physical self with your fractured virtual one.

According to Daedalic, the transhumanist adventure will let you play as multiple characters, and will provide about 20 hours of playtime.

http://www.daedalic.de/en/Game/State_of_Mind

State of Mind is a futuristic thriller game delving into transhumanism. The game explores themes of separation, disjuncture and reunification, in a world that is torn between a dystopian material reality and a utopian virtual future.

Employing multiple playable characters and two separate game worlds, State of Mind explores the existential drama that develops in a society on the brink of post-material existence.

You are Richard Nolan, a father and journalist from Berlin who discovers that he and his wife and son have been subjects to mind uploads. Richard’s upload, however, has gone wrong. As a result, he is still living in real-life reality, but an incomplete second version of his self also exists in a secret Virtual Reality project.

Upon realizing that he is literally a torn man, Richard sets out on a dramatic and dangerous search for salvation. He aims to reunite with his family, as well as with his own split self. On his way, he soon realizes that this journey isn’t only about him, but about the future of mankind.

• 3rd Person Adventure
  • Story-driven gameplay experience
  • Switching between two game worlds
  • Multiple story layers
  • Multiple playable characters
  • Unique artstyle

STOM_06_.jpg

STOM_03_.jpg

STOM_05_.jpg
Looks pretty cool but I wonder if we're witnessing the decline of Daedalic from puzzle-driven point-and-clicks to "story-driven gameplay experiences."

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
We can ask some questions about State of Mind at Gamescom. Though I never know what kind of questions to ask about adventure games.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The lead writer was also the mastermind behind The Mystery of the Druids, The Moment of Silence, and Overclocked, so that might give some helpful information about his sensibilities. I recall playing through the first ten minutes of the Mystery of the Druids demo 15 years ago, but I can only remember feeling vaguely bored.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Played Moment of Silence and it should be renamed Moment for Boredom.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i am glad daedalic is getting more successful and able to start pumping out high budget game, but i really hope they don't ditch puzzles/other adventure element for the sake of bending over to the mass audience.
feeling kinda conflicted here. first whispered world 2, now this.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah my excitement of upcoming releases from these guys went from

:takemymoney:

To now: wait and see how badly it's dumbed down and made for the general public. I fucking hate this shit.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
never played the blackguards games. so whats wrong with em?
First one is a fine tactical rpg.

The second one is something else and sucks.

You will get far more enjoyment from reading Roxor's preview and Bubbles' review than you will ever get from playing B2. B1 is good fun, and is currently on sale via Steam.

State of Mind is giving me Dreamfall flashbacks, although that could just be the perspective. I hope it's an actual adventure rather than Dreamfall's walking around simulator.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
BlG1 is a just a good game. Maps are tricky and warrant experimentation, character development is also tricky (until you figure it out obv.), story is more of a low-key device to serve the road trip.
Blg2 however... puzzles are forced - almost every fucking map has levers, dmg hexes, rotating blades idk. Character development, I don't even, has been gutted completely. No more main characteristics, only skills/spells, uniform costs, boring. I didn't even play for long, so I cannot comment on the story, but it's also more forced down the players throat, with raising an army for revenge. It's just sad when a dev has no idea what made their game good.

GrainWetski

Arcane
BlG1 is a just a good game. Maps are tricky and warrant experimentation, character development is also tricky (until you figure it out obv.), story is more of a low-key device to serve the road trip.
Blg2 however... puzzles are forced - almost every fucking map has levers, dmg hexes, rotating blades idk. Character development, I don't even, has been gutted completely. No more main characteristics, only skills/spells, uniform costs, boring. I didn't even play for long, so I cannot comment on the story, but it's also more forced down the players throat, with raising an army for revenge. It's just sad when a dev has no idea what made their game good.
The problem is that they listened to gamejournos and other people that didn't actually like the game and tried to dumb it down for them.

Seems like they're slowly trying the same thing with their adventure games. We'll see if it works out for them. Hopefully it doesn't.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Seems like Daedalic is finally heading down the Telltale path, which is a shame as they actually managed to produce two genuinely excellent adventure games (and a few other decent ones) in an era where such things are almost non-existent. So it was, at least, fun while it lasted. RIP.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I like Wadjet Eye, but they don't really make such complex/challenging adventure games as Deponia. Would be a shame if Daedalic abandoned those kinds of games completely too.

Boleskine

Arcane
Gamescom interview with Poki from Daedalic. It's in German and I couldn't get the caption translating to work.

Could any German codexers watch and tell us whether Poki confirms the decline of Daedalic to emotional story-driven choice and consequence simulators?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not really, no. That interview is pretty pointless - first, it only focuses on that particular guy's work and not the company as a whole, and secondly, they mostly chat informally and also ask stupid stuff too often, and whenever they ask him about anything substantial (like what he's working on), he evades any concrete answer. The only relatively substantial bit concerns Deponia 4 and what his "autobiographical" inspirations were and why they only announced it so close to release, but that's nothing too interesting either.

Boleskine

Arcane
www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/31461

State of Mind

With the kind of enthusiasm of a good history or philosophy professor, Martin Ganteföhr started his presentation of State of Mind by giving an introduction to the game's transhumanist themes. Like his previous game The Moment of Silence, State of Mind is set in a dystopian near-future and looks into the pervasive role of technology, focusing especially on artificial intelligence this time. The specific setting is a 2048 Berlin where AI has advanced to the point where robots can talk in natural language and serve as firefighters and riot guards, among other things. One of the few people who do not like this development is main character Richard Nolan, an old-fashioned journalist who is skeptical about the technology of the time, and sees human-like AI as an abomination. This makes some of the things he will discover all the more shocking.

(Note: Some of the plot elements in the next two paragraphs feel like big spoilers, but Martin assured me this is not the case and there is plenty of story not revealed yet.)

As the game starts, Richard stumbles away from a burning building with severe amnesia, only remembering parts of his work and family life through brief flashbacks. Still, the hospital lets him go soon after barely making it through some basic questions about what he can still recollect. Two surprises await him when he arrives home: his wife and child seem to be missing, and he now has an advanced robot butler that's definitely not something he would buy.

But the big shock comes after some initial investigation: as it turns out, Richard recently went through a mind-uploading procedure that did not finish properly, and this is where his amnesia comes from. After finally tracking down where the rest of his memories went and insisting they be put back in properly, he runs into an obstacle of an ethical nature. While the mind-upload wasn't exactly a success, it did put his missing memories into a new intelligent AI, who goes by the name Adam. Adam has similar memory issues but a different perspective on things: he detests Richard despite their common history (partly because Richard's history isn't all pretty), and refuses to be combined back into one person with him.

Gameplay-wise, State of Mind goes for 'light adventure gameplay', with inventory use, small machine puzzles, occasional hacking and the ability to call other characters through a holographic videophone system. The difficulty is deliberately light to not interfere too much with the demanding story, estimated to take some 10-12 hours to complete. As the first full-3D adventure Ganteföhr has worked on, the game uses an augmented reality interface marking nearby hotspots with triangles, feeling not entirely unlike a Deus Ex experience. The graphics budget is of course not as high, but the design choice to go with a 'sharded' futuristic aesthetic creates a fitting look and keeps things immersive enough despite relatively low polygon counts.

State of Mind is set to come out in the first quarter of 2017.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom