Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Steam curators

profreshinal

Arcane
If you're going to recommend a TES game, at least recommend the only good one in the series (Oblivion).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Skyrim is a much better game than DA:O...

desocupado

Magister
It has come to my attention that the dex is recommending DA:O on the steam curators thingie.

It is my sincere opinion that while the game was not the horrible abomination that some proclaim, it is far, far from being a good game, and therefore not worthy of a recommendation.

I was informed that Infinitron was responsible for it being on the dex's steam curator thingie, and I feel it's my duty to say:

Infinitron, you're a fag. Stop defending shitty games.
-With love, deso.

A horse of course

If you're going to put Drog Age on the list, why even bother having Codex curators in the first place? We can just follow Neogaf recommendations.

Dragon Age needs to go because it has more than enough name recognition, it might have people selecting that and ending up buying DA2 and worse too. It get's in the way of better purchases, it devalues the list.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dragon Age needs to go because it has more than enough name recognition, it might have people selecting that and ending up buying DA2 and worse too. It get's in the way of better purchases, it devalues the list.
There is a lot of stuff on this list that's worse than DA:O.

However, ignore that for now. You're right that DA:O is already popular. So if you're someone relatively new to cRPGs and you played and enjoyed DA:O and you look at a curation list of RPGs, you will probably look for games you've played. So lets say you played DA1 and 2, and you liked 1 but found 2 lacking. Then you see the codex list and see DA1 and not DA2. You'll realize these are games which you might like and try some of them on the list.

DA:O is (in addition to being a pretty good RPG), a kind of gateway RPG that will lead people to other games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Our recommendation for DA:O specifically states that it's Bioware's last true RPG.

(Also, DA2 isn't on Steam)

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
So if you're someone relatively new to cRPGs and you played and enjoyed DA:O and you look at a curation list of RPGs, you will probably look for games you've played. So lets say you played DA1 and 2, and you liked 1 but found 2 lacking. Then you see the codex list and see DA1 and not DA2. You'll realize these are games which you might like and try some of them on the list.

What an incredibly particular situation.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Our recommendation for DA:O specifically states that it's Bioware's last true RPG.

(Also, DA2 isn't on Steam)
It was briefly, I bet you can still recommend it since it's the in the database.

Edit:
What an incredibly particular situation.
I don't see why. DA:O sold roughly twice as many copies as BG2. A lot of people will have played basically only Bioware and Bethesda RPGs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BTW, it'd be really nice if you people could spend as much effort suggesting new recommendations as you do complaining about the existing ones. Post after post of whining vs a mere 152 characters recommendation. Somehow the former comes a lot easier to people, go figure!

Of course, the real drama will begin when it comes time to recommend Pillars of Eternity. :kfc:

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's not that the game is so bad in itself (there are a lot of really stupid games...) as much as it is a symbol of decline. Decline being how you dumb things down to make it more "accessible", just like you have dumbed down the Codex Curation list to make it more "accessible" to newfags, by your own confession.

Cassidy

Arcane
1zXp4B4.png

tuluse

Arcane
It's not that the game is so bad in itself (there are a lot of really stupid games...) as much as it is a symbol of decline. Decline being how you dumb things down to make it more "accessible", just like you have dumbed down the Codex Curation list to make it more "accessible" to newfags, by your own confession.
The list isn't for people who obsessively follow all RPG news. They already know what they want. This is list is a public face of the codex. A "hey try these games if you like the other ones on the list".

Also, I think DA:O as a symbol is a good reason to include it. It's the last RPG Bioware made that had party based tactical combat, and on top of that it was really a throwback after making NWN, KotOR, and Jade Empire. It was the first game they made in years that actually attempted to play something like an IE game.

To me the symbol is "this is the last time Bioware really tried to make an RPG instead of a cinematic experience".

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Can we add Fallout 3, Oblivion and maybe Far Cry 3 to the list? They're all important and seminal RPGs that are also highly recommended by us, the Codex.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Hey, no fair.

Wait, cool, they are apparently recommending Original War. I didn't know that was on Steam. With achievements! Not a RPG but...

The list isn't for people who obsessively follow all RPG news. They already know what they want. This is list is a public face of the codex. A "hey try these games if you like the other ones on the list".

There are a lot of people who have 20/20 taste in games but only time to follow games news in periods, me included :smug:. With the advent of the Kickstarter era there are a lot of new games to keep track of. Back in the days you only needed to keep track of NWN, and then become hugely disappointed, and then commit suicide. That wasn't particularly time-consuming. Okay, I exaggerate, but you get the point.

It's safe to say that all routined gamers know what DA:O stands for, and know not to buy it. But by adding it to a list, you are slowly turning the wheels of decline. Soon we will have a generation of posters on the Codex who unironically think DA:O is a super awesome game and that DA2 should be added, we will have them influencing future decisions. We need to keep the doors to decline shut in order to not go down that slippery slope. The future of this path will be adding Skyrim and Oblivion to the list, saying that "they can be OK with mods and are good first RPGs". The purity and sanctity of the Codex will have been compromised and Infinitron's juxtaposition of the Codex and the Watch will be meaningless. Using even a little bit of decline to fight decline itself will inevitably backfire. You must resist the lure of Decline, which must be cleansed with fire, lest it consumes the world!:flamesaw:

Okay, I'm drifting into a 40K Puritan Inquisitor persona. Time to stop this rant.

Also, I think DA:O as a symbol is a good reason to include it. It's the last RPG Bioware made that had party based tactical combat, and on top of that it was really a throwback after making NWN, KotOR, and Jade Empire. It was the first game they made in years that actually attempted to play something like an IE game.

To me the symbol is "this is the last time Bioware really tried to make an RPG instead of a cinematic experience".

Sorry but no. "Bioware tried" doesn't exactly count as grounds for recommendation. Game either is good and worth recommending on it's own merits or it simply isn't. Question here is how low the bar you want to set? Are "we" going to start recommending just about any technically competent, mediocre game out there or are we going to be beacon of light, hope and incline and recommend things actually worth looking at? Because let's be honest while DA isn't horrible worst game ever it isn't anything more than mediocre. Is that what Codex wants to promote?

tuluse

Arcane
It's safe to say that all routined gamers know what DA:O stands for, and know not to buy it. But by adding it to a list, you are slowly turning the wheels of decline. Soon we will have a generation of posters on the Codex who unironically think DA:O is a super awesome game and that DA2 should be added, we will have them influencing future decisions.
Sorry but no. "Bioware tried" doesn't exactly count as grounds for recommendation. Game either is good and worth recommending on it's own merits or it simply isn't. Question here is how low the bar you want to set? Are "we" going to start recommending just about any technically competent, mediocre game out there or are we going to be beacon of light, hope and incline and recommend things actually worth looking at? Because let's be honest while DA isn't horrible worst game ever it isn't anything more than mediocre. Is that what Codex wants to promote?
I understand your complaints, but I don't think DA:O is the game that's going to cause this.

Like I said, we already recommend worse games than DA:O on the list. Look at all the Vogel crap on there. Yeah some of his games are amazing, but plenty are worse than DA:O.

Anyways feast your eyes upon this travesty: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453. In voting DA:O comes in ahead of any every Ultima game except UU1. DA:O on the curation list reflects Codex taste and sensibilities for better or worse.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom