Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stellar Tactics, a sandbox sci-fi RPG - now available on Early Access

sstacks

Arcane
Finally getting a chance to put some time into the alpha version game courtesy the game dev.

Here are some starting and character creation screens.

My first thought when I saw the character creation was Traveller level of creation, however it is not as overwhelming as it may seem on first glance, everything is just on one screen. Which is actually kind of nice.

Stellar-Tactics-splash-screen.jpg

stellar-tactics-enter-number-to-seed-universe.jpg

Stellar-Tactics-character-creation-Wires.jpg

Stellar-Tactics-character-creation-Sturm.jpg

Stellar-Tactics-character-creation-Shrike.jpg

Stellar-Tactics-character-creation-Dreads.jpg

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Steam Early Access Update

5a1869228dfc5ba91e361484fce32bbb_original.png

Hello everyone! While I haven't made any direct promises for an exact Early Access release date, I do want to say that I am rapidly approaching a build that I would be happy releasing. You may have noticed that I've been posting patch notes to the general forums for all to see. In addition, I just completed asteroid mining which is the last feature for the Prologue. I'll post a video and article on asteroid mining ASAP.

The feedback I've been receiving is quite positive. OriginalLordDrow[www.twitch.tv] has been streaming the game (thank you!) on a regular basis and it's been incredibly helpful to see the areas that need polish.

With No Mans Sky and a few other games releasing over the course of the next few weeks, I feel like I should take a little more time to work on the game, remove rough edges and make sure the game is fun and polished. So, that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to wait until I'm 100% happy with the game and the timing is right.

I know some of you want to play the game now, and I really appreciate it. Believe me! I would love to get the game into your hands so I can gather more feedback.

Hang in there. EA is coming soon!. I'll continue to post updates and I'll post an Early Access release date as soon as I feel confident that I can meet that date.

Thank you all for your interest in Stellar Tactics

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stellar Tactics will be released to the world as a Early Access title on September 22nd at 10pm PST. I want to be completely honest here and say there are some rough spots, the game has about 8 hours of game play in the Prologue at this time and the open world exploration and space combat portions of the game will not be available until Alpha. The Early Access Prologue and information from the Steam website are posted below. I recommend that everyone read the road-map posted on the Steam forums before purchasing the game so they are aware of the EA release feature set and what will be coming.

Stellar Tactics will have a $19.99 release price. There will be no release price reductions and no planned price reductions in the future, though I reserve the right to change my mind. I will also provide a Humble Bundle widget that provides you with a Steam key. For those who wish to pay more than the $19.99 price, there will be a "TIPS" button on the humble widget. Yes, people have asked, and I really appreciate it. You’re dollars will go towards further development of the game. You will find the Humble store widget on the front page of this website on 9/22/16 at 10 PM PST.

Here is the Early Access info posted on the Steam store page. Thank you all for you’re support. Stellar Tactics has been a very long time in the making, and there is so much more to come!

WHY EARLY ACCESS?
“Welcome to Stellar Tactics! Stellar Tactics will be constantly updated with fixes, new content, an expanding story and new locations during Early Access and after release. Your feedback, comments and suggestions will be critical for the next steps in the development process. At this point I need as much feedback as possible. Disclaimer: Though all the features released to Early Access are ready for feedback, there may be unexpected issues and some added features may not be as polished as I’d like them to be. I’d recommend purchasing the Early Access version of the game only if you want to support the development of Stellar Tactics. Please review the Stellar Tactics Roadmap in the discussion forums.”

APPROXIMATELY HOW LONG WILL THIS GAME BE IN EARLY ACCESS?
“I’m not sure. I am committed to making this a great game and much will depend on your feedback and support. I’ll be adding content constantly over the coming months, tuning game play based on feedback and implementing features listed in the Stellar Tactics Roadmap, posted in the discussion forums.”

HOW IS THE FULL VERSION PLANNED TO DIFFER FROM THE EARLY ACCESS VERSION?
“The final version of the game will open up tens of thousands of systems to explore, space combat and more. I’d like to add the following features over the coming months: • Access to 10,000 sectors • space combat • the ability to trade commodities across the universe • dynamic mission and faction warfare generator • complete perk system • device system • faction system • crafting system • repair system • planetary mining • access to all ships and upgrades • additional hand crafted story content”

WHAT IS THE CURRENT STATE OF THE EARLY ACCESS VERSION?
“The Early Access version of the game is fully playable and contains the entire beginning story-line and all supporting features. It will give players a good idea of what they can expect from the full version of the game when it’s released. I will be adding new content regularly over the course of Early Access.”

WILL THE GAME BE PRICED DIFFERENTLY DURING AND AFTER EARLY ACCESS?
“Stellar Tactics price may go up, down or stay the same during and after Early Access. I’m not expecting to change the price, but it is possible.”

HOW ARE YOU PLANNING ON INVOLVING THE COMMUNITY IN YOUR DEVELOPMENT PROCESS?
“I’m always looking to gather insightful feedback and ideas from the game community. I’m particularly interested in suggestions for improvements on the game systems, balance, story and the core game experience. I’ll be interacting with the community through the Steam Discussions forum, carefully considering feedback and sharing my decisions on changes to the game that are community driven.”

I'd like to once again personally thank you all for your support here on Kickstarter. What an amazing platform for creative and industrious individuals and small organizations. I hope you will back me once again through the Humble Widget on my website during Early Access.

Thank you,

Don Wilkins

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A short story: http://www.stellartactics.com/jhemm/

FLxFjWn.jpg

JHEMM

“Not broken, that’s good…” Keira’s mind raced “Now, bandage, stim and medkit. I’ll be fine…fine!”

Just a few hours ago her ship crash landed on an obscure rocky planet with an oxygen-argon atmosphere. It wasn’t her fault. Really! Strange how her warp drive failed just as she passed through the gravity well of this small, but gravitationally dense planet. She had just enough energy in her capacitors for a last minute burst of afterburner before she touched down with a violent thud.

Stranger still was her proximity to the ruins she found herself in now. The entrance was a mere 150 meters from where she touched down. Running low on oxygen, she had initialized her emergency beacon and made a dash for the ruins. She pondered that for a moment before removing the armor from her left leg and inspecting the wound. Blood poured down from an open gash. That Korach nearly took her life. The small ones weren’t much of the challenge, but the Pack Mother was savage and had nearly ripped her leg off. If it had not been for the armor and her shields, she would most certainly be dead. Careless, stupid!

The glow of her plasma carbine lit the area around her as she applied field dressings and a stim-pack. Better!

She paused for a moment. “What was I thinking about? Right!” The series of events that led up to her current situation. Gravity well, warp drive failure, proximity to ruins. Odd!

Keira took a deep breath and pushed herself to her feet, favoring her left leg. She strapped the armor back on and powered up the implants, feeling the familiar warm tingle across her spine as her personal shields engaged. Now, to get out of here.

The ruins held many secrets. The rumor was these had been here for tens of thousands of years. She had found signs of others who had explored this place. She wasn’t interested in artifacts, though. The oxygen-argon atmosphere of this planet would have taken her life hours ago if she had not entered the ruins. One of the oddities of this ancient civilization was that the builders had also breathed a perfect balance of nitrogen, oxygen and other gasses in quantities similar to humans. The gases poured from vents all over the ruins. No one had ever figured out how this was possible but it had become an accepted fact. Find a ruin and you can breathe! That did not mean you would survive, however.

But Keira was a survivor, and her chances were better than most. Genetically modified, cyber enhanced and trained from birth for war, she had survived a journey across the vastness of space to this new home for humanity. There were few of her kind left, perhaps two or three that she knew of.

She limped over to the odd wall mural. A humanoid like skull etched into the stone. Archaeologists had explored these places in great depth. Little written language had ever been found, and fewer had cracked the ancient runes used on their stone tablets. A guttural language, mostly perverse and violent acts documented in great detail. It was assumed from the writing that these beings had worshiped gods who demanded blood sacrifices. Over the last several hundred years since the Arrival, humans had plumbed the depths of many of these places in search of riches.

She put her hand on the engraving. A low rumbling sound emanated from somewhere below her and the wall slid aside, filling the air with fine dust. Keira coughed and peered through the newly made opening in the wall. Beyond, a amaranthine glow filled a large chamber.

Along the walls, ancient coffer’s sat, cracked and empty. Down the center of the room, a grated causeway lined with pillars, topped with pulsing orbs of purple glowing energy. The orbs cast eerie shadows about the chamber and lit billowing mist from smoky vents in the floor. Keira was struck by the lack of filth found elsewhere in the ruins. It was as though this chamber had never been opened, waiting for her to touch the engraved skull.

She approached the pillars and stopped short, startled. Lining the causeway, here and there, bones and still red piles of dried, aged viscera. A trap?

She edged cautiously forward, inspecting the first grate. Nothing odd here, just solid iron and no trace of anything suspicious. At the far end of the room, a opening leading to…stairs! A feeling rolled over her. She knew that those stairs led to safety. It was as she was dreaming and she happily let herself become the puppet of some benign controlling entity. Always cautious, alarms went off in her head. She had not survived this long just to end her life on this rock. She rolled forward, over the grate, back to her feet, ignoring the pain. Her implants kicked in, stimulating adrenaline, hydrating her muscle tissue and releasing stimulants. She burst across the distance towards the opening, faster than any normal human.

It was then that she was stopped in her tracks. A rumbling, melodic tone erupted from the walls and bright bolts of lightning burst from the orbs. She was pinned. Strange! No pain, no feeling at all. Just a probing, gentle field of energy pressing at her skin through the armor. Then a rush of energy, like an mild electric shock. The sound and bolts were gone and she stood near the center of the room stunned, unharmed.

“What?”, Keira looked up. A large glowing crystalline shape pulsed, twirling with energy and flying sparks.

“More…”

“Who speaks?”, Keira lifted her carbine, ready to take action.

Phoneme…linguistic…humanoid. Please speak.

“Who are you?”

“We are many…we are Jhemm!”

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They really need to do something with the font/colour of the text and UI. It looks really bad, at least for me. Like someone is spraying it with random colours and deliberately chose the worst font possible

vmar

Savant
I'm cautiously hyped for this game, since I'm desperate for more scifi rpgs, but I'm a little concerned about the zombie virus thing. Really hoping that most of the game isn't killing space zombies, cause that's not really what I'm looking for. Probably going to wait for some early impressions once it hits EA tomorrow.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Sad that we couldn't find somebody on the staff to preview the game. I would've done it, but I'm still slightly busy with other coverage.

Neki

Scholar
Looks interesting enough,Gonna be cautiously hyped.

I Wonder if i can fuck blue aliens:M

vmar

Savant
After skimming a few gameplay videos I saw fights against humans, space creatures and stuff that wasn't just zombies so that's a relief. I like how you can aim at a specific body part. The dialogue seems to have a lot of exposition dumps though.

EA in 4 hours, will probably get it tonight or tomorrow.

It's about that time!
Posted by Maverick Games (Creator)
Llr2p7kyJpIrDrq9fmuOi8UZlrRGBiK_RycoScx3QqJhAQyu0B5-ixSXRSNK-PmFyLqfNlq9KfjSQRISXeC0y8Qsy58C0iwY2VVDsRnnS707VARNeqx-i-qO5l0uT-6wbxxqd0WG8UjkfwQjRBrXIADlZJYLK3leMjRnBPohWBf7a4ahB9qWw4n1bju95N6OaY1fMZPbgm-oDXCO3xT1dOpgC0phOLAGDh8mXVYtNQFGjU0roYJPwjGBMNJi_4D5LJOKrKpdMwFC=s0-d-e1-ft

Well, it's finally that time. After lots of testing, late nights, early mornings and over six years of obsessive attention to detail, Stellar Tactics is ready for Early Access. Stellar Tactics is a complicated game with many of the core role playing systems you would expect in a classic RPG. It's more though. It combines traditional space exploration, trading, space ships and progression with deep party based RPG mechanics

Many of you supported me earlier this year by Greenlighting Stellar Tactics. Since then I've been working hard to make certain the story, combat and core game play elements were as polished as they could be. That doesn't meant there aren't a few rough edges, because there are. I am at a point, however, where I need to gather feedback. Being a small developer (just me) your feedback is going to be critical for the success of the game.

I'm excited to hear what you think. Please, post your suggestions and comments in the forums. I read every post if I can and I usually respond if I have time. I'm looking for your thoughts on combat, interface, progression, balance, weapons, armor, loot, itemization...generally everything. I won't promise that I'll take immediate action on every suggestion, but I will be listening. If I see a good idea or suggestion, I'll consider it and let the community know if I'm planning to move forward with a change. If you find a crash bug, exploit or something that is generally making the game unplayable for you, please, post a note in the bug forums. I'll be working quickly to fix any game stopping bugs and annoyances.

What's next? I expect I'll be fixing bugs for the next few weeks. I'll be fixing things that I missed and issues that different play styles bring to the surface. After that it's all about Alpha. I'll be working hard to finalize space combat, generating content for exploration missions and following the road map posted on the forums.

I'd like to thank each and everyone one of you for your interest in Stellar Tactics. I know you have many games to choose from. I'm going to work hard to make this game the best it can be.

If you want to help support Stellar Tactics, tell, your friends, family and people you don't even know.

-Don Wilkins

Jinn

Arcane
Excited to hear what you guys who get early access think of it! It looks really promising, and the prospect of spaceship battles is a huge draw for me (though I don't believe they are in the early access yet).

Aothan

Magister
looking forward to early impressions

I've been generally interested in this title but have also become a bit reserved about the freedom of respeccing, which is always a part of games I think should at least come at some cost, but the respeccing in this game can even happen during combat which is surprising, nonetheless still very interested and would like to see this turn out very well

vmar

Savant
In combat with the first enemy, the enemy disappeared. Not a line of sight issue because the zombie is (was) standing right next to my entire squad before she just vanished. So uh...not exactly the best first impression. Gonna try reloading I guess.

edit: Zombie reappeared when I moved my soldier, think it was a bug that had to do with the squad's vision ranges or something since you can change the direction your squad is facing, but 3 of the characters were facing the direction where the zombie was. Oh well, it's EA so not a big deal.

Last edited:

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
For those of you who wish to support Stellar Tactics - please consider purchasing the game from my personal game store at www.stellartactics.com via the Humble Widget. You will receive a Steam key and more of your dollars will come to me, the developer of the game, for future updates and support. The widget will be available on the front page of the Stellar Tactics website at 10pm Pacific on September 22nd.
Bought it from the site as specified above. It's nice if as much money as possible can go to the dev. It's also possible to leave a tip.

Freddie

Savant
This looks very interesting. Waiting for impressions about how playable this is at the moment.

vmar

Savant
Just finished up the first part of the EA, where you leave the ship. Quick impressions:

-Mouse is generally buggy, moving the mouse feels a little choppy and there are some pathfinding issues. Sometimes you'll tell your squad to move a couple steps and they'll either stand in place or take off running the other way. Opening containers is a 50/50 if the click will register or not, sometimes I have to switch characters before I can give orders or open containers/doors.

-Combat seems pretty fun, although most of the enemies I fought were zombies. There are some zombies that can throw fireballs which shakes things up a bit, and I saw 2 boss encounters, both of which were a decent challenge, and one of them against a human+zombies which was the best fight so far. I had to reload once on the final one and make use of stun grenades and better positioning after failing the first time.

-Combat is surprisingly fun so far, even though most of the encounters up to this point contain enemies that just rush you. Still I had fun setting up chokepoints and using leg shots to slow the enemies down, arm shots to give them an AP loss, etc. I really think once the game opens up and you fight more varied stuff it will be pretty awesome.

-Character creation has some depth to it, plenty of skills, stats, etc. Since there are 4 party members I tried to spread their weapon skills out to give as many weapons as possible a try, so I had a char for pistols, smgs, rifles, and shotguns. Near the beginning when you get your equipment it gives everyone a pistol and a primary weapon based on your stats, except for an smg for some reason, so I haven't got to try it out yet. One strange thing is that my pistol character has better accuracy with the rifle than the pistol, despite starting with 4 points in pistols and 0 in rifles. Hopefully in the final version you'll get to actually open the weapon lockers and pick your stuff manually, now it just auto-equips you.

-Cover is important on some of the fights, you can crouch behind boxes so enemies can't hit you, use the environment to kite enemies around, etc.

-Some spelling errors, and the writing is...ok. I'm more interested in the TB combat and exploration anyway so I don't really mind.

Overall I'm enjoying it, and I definitely want more, I think there's potential here for this game to be a lot of fun. Hoping the EA isn't over too soon. The bugs and spelling errors are easy to overlook since it's a pre-alpha and the dev seems pretty dedicated, he released a patch within like an hour of the release last night and he's working on more.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This looks awesome, won't play the EA version but will most likely buy it to support the devs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom