Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
If you only have 1 planet and own 1/4 of the galaxy, you run out of stuff to research after about 60 years. Then you get +5% bullshit techs.

well maybe an energy crisis would be more exciting and thematic.

The AI attacks the galactic stock market and hacks into power grids (like state-sponsored hackers do IRL), thereby reducing everyone's energy credits. If that leads to synth pops turning off, then that is part of the AI crisis flavor

Or maybe synth pops take resources instead of producing and if you decommission them then they do something nasty like take the building they are on with them, give neighboring pops unhappy ...

Mortmal

Arcane
So, is default corvete spam still the most valid millitary strategy?
It is still and again you dont even need tech. Production >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> quality , build nothing for research , colonize everything , mass produce corvettes you win.

TL;DR: Yes.

Well that specifically is a worthless test. Only an idiot would use lasers on the corvettes, shields on the cruisers, or plasma vs. corvettes. A more sensible test would be plasma corvettes vs. mass drive/armored cruisers. But it's also only relevant for MP because what matters for SP isn't corvettes vs. cruisers but corvettes vs. AI shit compared to cruisers vs. AI shit, and the former is much weaker because the AI's random shit navies can kill corvettes decently but absolutely sucks shit at beating heavily armored stuff.

Also eventually the fleet AI literally breaks and massive corvette fleets fail to path and fire correctly. Dunno if its system-specific but for me it seems to happen around the 100-200k fleet power mark.

Mortmal

Arcane
It is still and again you dont even need tech. Production >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> quality , build nothing for research , colonize everything , mass produce corvettes you win.
How did they fuck it up so badly?
Lack of care and enthusiasm, lazyness i guess. latest patch was so bad IA was not even declaring war cause the pacifist ethos was spreading too fast, basic stuff like that goes live untested. It was hotfixed later but it show really how unprofessional they are.Paradox is decling a lot lately, shovelware DLC at even more outrageous prices with more bugs and/or poorly though mechanisms. its not only stelalris look at EU4 with overpowered Ming for its 30$ dlc.

My guess is it started off that way because Paradox looked at other 4x games, saw that teching was powerful and, not having experience creating a good 4x game that avoided making passive teching OP, decided to go completely the opposite direction with huge penalties to teching based on size and incredibly weak tech.

The reason it stays like this even after multiple expansions and a year of patching? Because despite this the community thinks that research is still overpowered and that expanding is bad.

Same thing repeats itself with the rest of the game. Megastructures could be in danger of being OP? Nerf them to the ground and make them obviously shit to anyone who runs the most basic of ROI calculations. 95% of the players don't care and still think they are OP. Hiveminds could be in danger of being OP due to ignoring happiness? Happiness is absurdly easy to manage and Hiveminds are made to suck shit, yet people still think they are "OP".

Lack of care and enthusiasm, lazyness i guess. latest patch was so bad IA was not even declaring war cause the pacifist ethos was spreading too fast, basic stuff like that goes live untested. It was hotfixed later but it show really how unprofessional they are.Paradox is decling a lot lately, shovelware DLC at even more outrageous prices with more bugs and/or poorly though mechanisms. its not only stelalris look at EU4 with overpowered Ming for its 30$ dlc.

Hilariously, after releasing the patch that stopped the AI from declaring war they hotfixed it with a patch that caused food deficits to have no effect.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
My guess is it started off that way because Paradox looked at other 4x games, saw that teching was powerful and, not having experience creating a good 4x game that avoided making passive teching OP, decided to go completely the opposite direction with huge penalties to teching based on size and incredibly weak tech.

The reason it stays like this even after multiple expansions and a year of patching? Because despite this the community thinks that research is still overpowered and that expanding is bad.
Its not even the community fault anymore, when writing such posts on paradox forum, people agree with me. Yes even the paradox loyalist brigade agree....

DramaticPopcorn

So, probably very stupid question to ask but are there any mods rebalancing this shit?

Mortmal

Arcane
So, probably very stupid question to ask but are there any mods rebalancing this shit?
It requires a lot more than mods to fix stellaris issues.

Despite this thread being slow as shit I generally trust dex when it comes to mod recommendations, so besides alphamod are there any other good mod(packs?) out there?

What do you mean besides Alphamod? Alphamod is just a bunch of random crap thrown together that the AI is even more hopelessly inept at using than the base game.

DramaticPopcorn

What do you mean besides Alphamod? Alphamod is just a bunch of random crap thrown together that the AI is even more hopelessly inept at using than the base game.
How about pulling that dragon dildo out of your ass and being actually helpful for once?
What are the good mods out there?

Tigranes

Arcane
It's true - I don't really see any mods that significantly change the "cool -> mindnumbingly boring" trajectory, or the lack of anything meaningful happening with diplomacy. Alphamod gave more toys to play with while you go down the broken roller-coaster.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
NSC 5.0 and ISB are the usual suspects, when it comes to big Stellaris mods (AlphaMod aside).

DramaticPopcorn

>Declare war on fukhuge empire that dominates 70% of the map b/c bored and literally nothing to do
>Have a single fleet of 5k strenght corvettes with upgraded drives and T2 projectile weapons
>get rek'd by a 10k stack.
>Lose a planet
>Think it's gameover
>Elections coming up, see a leader with -20% discount to corvettes
>Grand Fleet research done, +35% naval strenght
>Start mass produce a shitton of corvettes
> AI retreats with his 10k doomstack to his planet
>Just move in and retake my planet

>No AI movement for several years, they spam me cedeing my home planets, I refuse with a ton of influence stacked up
>Build up to 250 corvettes, 15k fleet strenght
>Go all out, take several planets, win the war, get 13 fucking planets
>turn pop to undesirables and exterminate them, replace them with droids
How in the fuck is AI this bad

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
Don't project your own droid issues on to me comrade.

The Jewish Galactic Community is well known to treat droids as equals.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey since everyone is complaining about the AI... there is an "Enhanced AI" Mod, did anyone try it?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom