Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am cautiously optimistic. The changes seem to be in the right direction

Mortmal

Arcane
I am cautiously optimistic. The changes seem to be in the right direction
Yes they just need to revamp the simplistic combat system and make tech matters too. Building space defense is a step in the right direction but a small one.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Manpower was irrelevant for EUIV for, how long? a year now? Mercs are numberless and quick to hire.
Maybe very late in the game when you have the income to be able to afford shitloads of mercs. When you reach that strength, you have won the game already and I always stop at that point.
Definitely not early on or in mid-game. Mercs become ridiculously expensive after even a short while, easily going into hundreds of ducats per month for only a few dozen. Meanwhile you are lucky if you can manage an income of more than 50 ducats.
And even very late in the game, you only get shitloads of money as a trade-focused nation, which simply doesn't make sense for many nations.

I haven't played vanilla EUIV in ages, though, so maybe it is different there than in my mod of coice, VeF.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
To some degree it actually mitigates the mining/research station clicking because you typically take things one system at a time instead of suddenly claiming five new systems that need to be built up. We're discussing ways to make construction of stations easier though, including having mining/research stations be disabled rather than destroyed, better construction of them from the galaxy map, and possibly automation via Starbases.
Incline
Frontier outposts are gone. This system replaces them.
Incline
This is something we're currently sorting out, I'm currently leaning towards giving the empire who owns the system of the spacefaring primitives the choice between making them a protectorate and ceding the starbase or stopping them from becoming spacefaring altogether.
Incline
I'll give more details on how Starbases are neutralized/captured in a future dev diary.
We have absolutely no intentions of getting rid of 'wide' playstyle. Expanding should be rewarding.
Incline

I want to see how they reworked FTL because current FTL is shit. Warps is retarded with penalties and cooldowns, hyperlanes are insanely boring late game and wormholes take a month to charge once your fleet is big enough.

As Starbases now determine system ownership, it will no longer be possible to colonize or invade primitives outside your borders in the Cherryh update

Wow, they really intend to make the game shit don't they?

Funny, this could be the first instance of a game being released with an appalling lack of content, then the devs deciding to pad it out with filler a year and a half later.

I guess the one good part is that capturing starbases makes wars actually worthwhile.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So no longer total backstab by making frontier system close to theirs borders, then they would declare war on you, then they would make peace with you with you losing one juicy system, then you manage to catch the breath because of that peace and expand five times more than you were before war. And then you find they made defensive alliance with TWO other empires, so no reconquering that system few decades later. Until you maul these two empires or provoke them into fight with you, and maul everyone anyway.

All in all, this seems good. I like the idea of fortifying a system until its a Cadia-style planetary fortress.

But you can just go around any defenses. And you can't fortify more than a handful of planets because paradox has to put arbitrary limits on everything rather than balance the systems they create. So where before the enemy could capture 100% of your planets after winning the first battle, now they can capture 90%. Due to the same mechanics that lets you take a homeworld by occupying a 1-pop colony, your enemy will just be taking your super-defended ship yards without needing to fight any defenses, leaving you actually further behind than before since you've lost your entire centralized shipbuilding capability.

Hellion

Arcane
According to a new post on ther FB page, their team is experimenting with "environmental hazards" now.

22829056_1981875275415041_7515762435853306724_o.jpg

for now, the game needs two things:
1) competitive tall empires, science fiction is full of single systems/single planets unconquerable races
2) defense wins over attack, and ground troops have the final word on wars, as long as you can't set foot on enemy ground you're losing badly
after this has been established, the final touch is a more fluid diplomacy. right now diplomacy is set in stone, tied to your traits and governments. stellaris needs powerful diplomacy treaties and more modifiers akin to eu4's.

Mortmal

Arcane
for now, the game needs two things:
1) competitive tall empires, science fiction is full of single systems/single planets unconquerable races
2) defense wins over attack, and ground troops have the final word on wars, as long as you can't set foot on enemy ground you're losing badly
after this has been established, the final touch is a more fluid diplomacy. right now diplomacy is set in stone, tied to your traits and governments. stellaris needs powerful diplomacy treaties and more modifiers akin to eu4's.
Thats what i'd like to see too, one planet empire with super high tech , small fleets battling against huge fleets of rusty slaver ships..But it seems they are scared to make tech matters, right now if you try to play tall you will lag behind in everything and be slightly ahead in tech with most option being to research weapons and stuff you dont need , at the very best +5% fire rate.Itkills replayability the only way to play is expand as much as possible and not caring about anything.

The last thing a 4x game needs is to punish expansion. Tech penalties for size are a horrible band-aid.

I mean, does anyone actually just stay with 5 or so planets for decades and pretend that its thrilling gameplay? Sure, you can pull off exploitative shit where you vassalize half the galaxy while staying small, but that's precisely an exploit and not what the game should be about.

Mortmal

Arcane
The last thing a 4x game needs is to punish expansion. Tech penalties for size are a horrible band-aid.

I mean, does anyone actually just stay with 5 or so planets for decades and pretend that its thrilling gameplay? Sure, you can pull off exploitative shit where you vassalize half the galaxy while staying small, but that's precisely an exploit and not what the game should be about.
Fast breeder+more mineral traits, expand , if you get tech fine, if you dont no big deal , amass a doom stack of shitty ships you autofit , congrats you have won stellaris, not really thrilling , it requires a bit more diversity.

If tech mattered even a little in Stellaris the optimal move would be to vassalize your immediate neighbors and then do nothing for 50 years. At least expanding gives you stuff to click on.

Mortmal

Arcane
If tech mattered even a little in Stellaris the optimal move would be to vassalize your immediate neighbors and then do nothing for 50 years. At least expanding gives you stuff to click on.
Yes cause vassals interactions are too simplistic , if you could reorganize their tiles, placing your own enclave on strategic ressources, have to deal with politics, spying, assasination of leaders etc.. you would have more things to click.Anyway it always come to the point stellaris is their most mainstream thing and it lacks of depth.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, we all know it's easy to abuse the AI in Stellaris. Thanks for reminding us.
Can you clarify what's called "AI abuse"? Shields IV or a 86-strong fleet butchering a 121-strong rust bucket fleet without losses? Or being fanatic xenophile pacifist?
Playing the game efficiently instead of LARPing your space empire is considered "AI abuse". And rude.
Say that you are sorry.

Yes, we all know it's easy to abuse the AI in Stellaris. Thanks for reminding us.
Can you clarify what's called "AI abuse"? Shields IV or a 86-strong fleet butchering a 121-strong rust bucket fleet without losses? Or being fanatic xenophile pacifist?
Playing the game efficiently instead of LARPing your space empire is considered "AI abuse". And rude.
Say that you are sorry.

More like the AI doesn't understand how to choose weapons/ship types properly and therefore automatically loses in any engagement after Cruisers.

orcinator

Liturgist
Otherwise, it'll just mean instead of a giant fleet of 1000 ships, its now 20 fleets of 50 ships moving together, which means nothing changed at all.

But then only one fleet will get the +13% damage boost from a max level commander.

Okay maybe it's a bit higher, but it's still overshadowed by the -66% reduction in damage thanks to wedge formation.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
DD: FTL rework
Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary is about Faster than Light travel in the Cherryh update, and it's likely to be a controversial one. When discussing, please remember to keep things civil, and I would kindly ask that you read the entire dev diary before rushing to post, as it's going to cover some of the questions and concerns we expect to see from the playerbase. Also, as posted last week, all of these changes are currently far away, and we cannot give more details on ETAs or the exact nature of the Cherryh update than we already have. Thank you!

FTL Rework
The single biggest design issue we have had to tackle in the Stellaris team since release is the asymmetrical FTL. While it's a cool and interesting idea on paper, the honest truth is that the feature just does not fit well into the game in practice, and blocks numerous improvements on a myriad of other features such as warfare and exploration, as well as solutions to fundamental design problems like the weakness of static defenses. After a lot of debate among the designers, we finally decided that if we were ever going to be able to tackle these issues and turn Stellaris into a game with truly engrossing and interesting warfare, we would have to bite the bullet and take a controversial decision: Consolidating FTL from the current three types down into a primarily hyperlane-based game, with more advanced forms of FTL unlocked through technology.

However, as I have said on the previous occasions when discussing this issue, one thing we would never consider doing is just slashing FTL types from the game without adding in something else to compensate their loss. That is what most of this dev diary is going to be about. However, before continuing with the details on the additions and changes we're making to FTL, I want to cover a couple of the questions I expect will arise from this:

Why are you removing FTL choices instead of building on them?
A lot of people have asked this question when we have brought up consolidating FTL types before, suggesting that problems such as static defenses can be solved by just adding more mechanics to handle each special case. I think the problem with this is best illustrated with defense stations and FTL inhibitors. One of the aims of the Starbase system is to give empires the ability to 'lock down' their borders, building fortresses that enemy fleets cannot simply skip past to strike at their core worlds, instead of having to create static defenses in every single valuable system.

With hyperlanes, this is a pretty simple affair: As hyperlanes create natural choke points, the only thing a hyperlane-stopping FTL inhibitor needs to do is to prevent enemy fleets from leaving the system once they enter it. The fleet can enter, it can retreat (via emergency FTL) and it can bring down the source of the FTL inhibitor (which might be a Starbase or even a planet) to be able to continue. This is quite easy to understand, both in terms of which system you need to defend to lock down your borders, and how it works when you are on the offensive.

Now let's add Warp to the mix. In this case, the single-system FTL inhibitor is useless because Warp fleets can just go over it, so we'll invent another mechanic: A warp interdiction bubble, stretching a certain distance around the system, that pull in any hostile Warp fleets traveling there to the system containing the FTL inhibitor, and force them to battle it or retreat. This is immediately a lot more messy: First of all, this bubble can't possibly affect Hyperlane fleets, because it could potentially pull them dozens of jumps away from their current location. This means that when fortifying your borders, you now need to not just make sure that every important chokepoint is covered, but also that your entire border is covered in warp interdiction bubbles.

But there's more: Add Wormholes as well, and you now have an FTL type where not only the 'bubble' type interdictor doesn't make intuitive sense (because Wormhole fleets make point-to-point jumps rather than traveling over the map) but if said interdictor works to pull Wormhole fleets out of position regardless of what makes intuitive sense, you end up with the same probem as with hyperlanes, where the fleet can get pulled out of range of its wormhole network and end up stranded even if it brings down the defenses. This means you pretty much have to invent a third type of interdiction type for Wormhole on top of what is already an overengineered and hard to understand system.

Finally, add the problem of displaying all these different types of inhibitors and interdictors on the map, in a way that the player can even remotely start to understand, and you end up with nothing short of a complete mess, where it's far better to just have static defenses protecting single valuable systems... and so we come full circle.

This is the fundamental problem that we have been grappling with when it comes to asymmetrical FTL: What works in a game such as Sword of the Stars, with its turn-based gameplay, small maps of usually no more than 3-6 empires, and 1-on-1 wars breaks down completely in a Stellaris game with real-time gameplay and wars potentially containing a dozen actors, all with their own form of FTL. The complexity collapses into what is for the player just a mess of fleets appearing and disappearing with no discernible logic to them.

Why Hyperlanes?
When discussing this, we essentially boiled down the consolidation into three possibilities: Hyperlanes only, Warp-only, and Warp+Hyperlanes. Wormhole is simply too different a FTL type to ever really work with the others, and not intuitive enough to work as the sole starting FTL for everyone playing the game. Keeping both Warp and Hyperlanes would be an improvement, but would still keep many of the issues we currently have in regards to user experience and fleet coordination. Warp-only was considered as an alternative, but ultimately Hyperlanes won out because of the possibilities it opens up for galactic geography, static defenses and enhancements to exploration.

Here are the some of the possibilities that consolidation of FTL into Hyperlanes creates for Stellaris:
  • Unified distance, sensor and border systems that make sense for everyone (for example, cost of claiming a system not being based on euclidean distance but rather the actual distance for ships to travel there)
  • Galactic 'geography', systems that are strategically and tactically important due to location and 'terrain' (more on this below) rather than just resources
  • More possibilities for galaxy generation and exploration (for example, entire regions of space accessible only through a wormhole or a single guarded hyperlane, containing special locations and events to discover)
  • Better performance through caching and unified code (Wormhole FTL in particular is a massive resource hog in the late game)
  • Warfare with a distinct sense of 'theatres', advancing/retreating fronts and border skirmishes (more on this in future dev diaries)
Are all new forms of FTL free patch content?
Yes. Naturally we're not going to charge for any form of content meant to replace the loss of old FTL types.

Hyperlane and Sublight Travel
As mentioned, in the Cherryh update. all empires will now start the game with Hyperlanes as their only mode of FTL. By default, hyperlane generation is going to be changed to create more 'islands' and 'choke points', to make for more interesting galactic geography. However, as we know some players do not enjoy the idea of constricted space, we are going to add a slider that controls the general frequency and connectivity of hyperlanes. Turning this up will create a more connected galaxy and make it harder to protect all your systems with static defenses, for players who prefer something closer to the current game's Warp-style movement.

Sublight travel is also being changed somewhat, in the sense that you need to actually travel to the entry point to a particular hyperlane (the arrow inside a system) to enter it, rather than being able to enter any hyperlane from any point outside's a system's gravity well. This means that fleets will move in a more predictable fashion, and interdictions will frequently happen inside systems instead of nearly always being at the edge of them, in particular allowing for fleets to 'guard' important hyperlane entry/exit points. To compensate for the need to move across systems, sublight travel has been sped up, especially with more advanced forms of thrusters.
index.php

FTL Sensors
Along with the change to FTL, we are also changing the way sensors work. Instead of simply being a circle radiating an arbitrary distance from a ship, station or planet, each level of sensors can now see a certain distance in FTL connections. For example, a ship with level 1 sensors (Radar) will only give sensor coverage of the same system that it is currently in, while a ship with level 2 (Gravitic) sensors will give sensor coverage of that system and all systems connected to it through a Hyperlane or explored Wormhole (more on that below), a ship with level 3 sensors will be able to see systems connected to those systems, and so on. Sensor coverage can be 'blocked' by certain galactic features (more on that below), which will also block propagation into further connected systems. We are currently discussing the implementation of sensor blockers as a potential Starbase component.
index.php

Wormholes
While Wormhole as a full-fledged FTL type is gone, Wormholes are not. Instead they have been changed into a natural formation that can be encountered while exploring the galaxy. Wormholes come in pairs, essentially functioning as very long hyperlanes that can potentially take a ship across the entire galaxy near-instantly. Natural Wormholes are unstable, and wen first encountered, you will not be able to explore them. To explore a Wormhole, you need the Wormhole Stabilization technology, after which a science ship can be sent to stabilize and chart the Wormhole to find out what lies on the other side. If you're lucky, this may be unclaimed space full of valuable systems, but it could just as well be a Devouring Swarm eager to come over for dinner. There is a slider on game setup that controls the frequency of wormhole pairs in the galaxy.
index.php

Gateways
Gateways is an advanced form of FTL most closely resembling the Wormhole FTL in the live version of the game. While exploring the galaxy, you can find abandoned Gateways that were once part of a massive, galaxy-spanning network. These Gateways are disabled and unusable, but with the Gateway Reactivation mid-game technology and a hefty investment of minerals, they can be restored to working order. Like Wormholes, Gateways allow for near-instant travel to other Gateways, but the difference is that any activated Gateway can be used to travel to any other activated Gateway, and late-game technology allows for the construction of more Gateways to expand the network. Also unlike Wormholes, which cannot be 'closed', Gateways also have the advantage of allowing any empire controlling the system they're in to control who goes through said Gateway - hostile empires and empires to whom you have closed your borders will not be able to use 'your' Gateways to just appear inside of your systems.

When the first Gateway is re-activated, another random Gateway will also be re-activated along with it, so that there is never a situation where you just have a single active Gateway going nowhere. There is a slider on game setup that controls the frequency of abandoned gateways in the galaxy.
index.php

Jump Drives
Jump Drives and Psi Jump Drives have been changed, and is now an advanced form of FTL that mixes Hyperdrive with some functionality from the old Warp FTL. They allow for a ship to travel normally and very quickly along hyperlanes, but also come equipped with a tactical 'jump' functionality that allows a fleet to make a point-to-point jump ignoring the normal hyperlane limitations. This is done with a special fleet order where you select a target system for the jump (within a certain pre-defined range, with Psi Jump Drives having longer range than regular Jump Drives), after which the fleet charges up its jump drive and creates a temporary wormhole leading to the system. After the fleet makes its 'jump', the Jump Drive will need to recharge, with a significant cooldown before it can be used again, and also applies a debuff to the fleet that reduces its combat effectiveness while the cooldown is in effect. This allows for fleets with Jump Drives to ignore the usual FTL restrictions and skip straight past enemy fleets and stations, but at the cost of leaving themselves vulnerable and potentially stranded for a time afterwards. This design is highly experimental, and may change during the development of Cherryh, but we wanted Jump Drives to not just be 'Hyperdrive IV' but rather to unlock new tactical and strategic possibilities for warfare.

Galactic Terrain
With the switch to Hyperlanes and the creation of strategically important systems and chokepoints, we've also decided to implement something we had always thought was a really interesting idea, but which made little sense without such chokepoints: Galactic Terrain. Specifically, systems with environmental effects and hazards that have profound tactical and strategic effects on ships on empires. This is still something we are in the middle of testing and prototyping, but so far we have created the following forms of Galactic Terrain:
Nebulas block all sensor coverage originating from other systems, meaning that it's impossible for an empire to see what ships and stations are inside a system in a nebula without having a ship or station stationed there, allowing empires to hide their fleets and set up ambushes.
Pulsars interfere with deflector technology, nullifying all ship and station shields in a system with a Pulsar.
Neutron Stars interfere with navigation and ship systems, significantly slowing down sublight travel in a system with a Neutron Star.
Black Holes interfere with FTL, increasing the time it takes for a fleet to charge its emergency FTL and making it more difficult to ships to individually disengage from combat (more on this in a later dev diary).

The above is just a first iteration, and it's something we're likely to tweak and build on more for both the Cherryh update and other updates beyond it, so stay tuned for more information on this.
index.php

index.php

That's all for today! I will finish this dev diary by saying that we do not expect everyone to be happy with these changes, but we truly believe that they are necessary to give Stellaris truly great warfare, and that we think you will find the game better for it once you get a chance to try them. We will be doing a Design Corner feature on today's Extraterrestial Thursday stream, where me and Game Designer Daniel Moregård (grekulf) will be discussing the changes, fielding questions and showing off some gameplay in the internal development build. If you want a look at some of these changes in a live game environment, be sure to tune to the Paradox Interactive twitch channel at 4pm CET.

Next week, we're going to talk about war and peace, including the complete rework of the current wargoal system that was made possible by the changes to FTL and system control discussed in this and last week's dev diary. See you then!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom