Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

a cut of domestic sheep prime

rpgcodex 2002: RPG purists
rpgcodex 2018: larping purists

:dead:

mbv123

Arbiter
People tend to use this term as "doing stupid shit in your video game" aka autistic stuff. Eg. choosing dialogue options your character would likely use or not killing specific NPCs because you imagined your toon as pacifist.
So basicly you're live action role playing in a video game. Sort of.

Don't blame me. I haven't came up with this idea.
Isn't that just.... roleplaying? Like, why bother putting Live Action in it?

Hellion

Arcane
I guess the difference in this context is that in actual Role-playing your options in the game's world are shaped by the benefits/limitations your "role" entails, eg you play as an Elf and a racist weaponsmith recognizes that and refuses to sell you weapons.

Whereas in LARPing the only limitations are put forth by your mind. E.g. you are imagining you are an elf and that the weaponsmith will not sell you any weapons, because in your mind that is what would/should happen if he were racist against elves, so you refuse to buy from him in the game (making up some sad story in your mind) and move on.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Instead, it seems like the devs are creatively bankrupt at this point and are just recreating popular mods (and inevitably doing a worse job than the free mods which always *mysteriously* seem to disappear once the expansion is released).
How can a free mod disappear? It's illegal work of author who allowed to use it for free for everyone. Paradox can at most force it into illegality, but never remove from internet. Remember, all these highly illegal books you obtained, including these which are 2 years in jail when you have them...

a cut of domestic sheep prime

How can a free mod disappear?
They did. They always do. Either the mod author removes it or it just goes away and you never hear about it again.

Don't give me horse shit about how it "can't" happen because it does.

Maybe Paradox pays them. Maybe they send them a cease and desist. Maybe they just delete it from the steam workshop and since other mod sites are rarely used, you never hear about it again.

Paradox removes mods all the time without any explanation btw. They removed mine and others.
It's illegal work of author who allowed to use it for free for everyone.
not sure wtf you are saying here, but Paradox owns all intellectual property relating to their game.
Paradox can at most force it into illegality, but never remove from internet.
they don't have to. they just have to get the author to stop supporting it.

you could still have all the files backed up, but it won't matter the next time an update rolls around and it breaks the mod. maybe you could repair it, but 99.9% of people either won't know how or just won't.

Delterius

Arcane
People tend to use this term as "doing stupid shit in your video game" aka autistic stuff. Eg. choosing dialogue options your character would likely use or not killing specific NPCs because you imagined your toon as pacifist.
So basicly you're live action role playing in a video game. Sort of.

Don't blame me. I haven't came up with this idea.
Isn't that just.... roleplaying? Like, why bother putting Live Action in it?
Because its wrong.

We used Larping because lots of Oblivion fans argued that all you need is props to imagine your favorite game. All you need is a forest and, therefore, you can be a forest warden. No quests or dialogue or actual implementation required. Choosing a dialogue option that makes sense with a character is the opposite of that.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
How can a free mod disappear?
They did. They always do. Either the mod author removes it or it just goes away and you never hear about it again.

Don't give me horse shit about how it "can't" happen because it does.

Maybe Paradox pays them. Maybe they send them a cease and desist. Maybe they just delete it from the steam workshop and since other mod sites are rarely used, you never hear about it again.

Paradox removes mods all the time without any explanation btw. They removed mine and others.
That's some Orwelian level of stuff.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
DD
Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today, we're going to be covering the headline feature of the Distant Stars Story Pack that will be accompanying the 2.1 'Niven' update.

The L-Cluster
In Distant Stars, some Black Hole systems are home to mysterious "L-Gate" structures that the player can find while exploring the galaxy. Originally part of the regular Gateway network, these L-Gates were heavily modified shortly after the initial construction of the network. The gates are operable but stuck in perpetual maintenance loops, possibly due to intentional sabotage. L-Gates cannot be activated by the usual Gateway technologies, instead requiring the collection of insights relating to subspace and the nanite technology used to activate the gates. Insights can be collected in a wide variety of ways - from anomalies and exploration, from defeating certain enemies, and from researching a repeatable technology that becomes available once your empire is sufficiently advanced to conduct independent research on nanites.
index.php

Once an empire has amassed enough insights, they will be able to open an L-Gate and access the L-Cluster, a cluster of stars located just outside the galaxy and entirely inaccessible from the regular hyperlane network. What precisely you will find there, we are not going to be spoil in this dev diary, but suffice to say that there are several possible outcomes, and that the gates may have been locked down for a reason...
index.php

On a technical level L-Gates are a new and fully moddable bypass type, distinct from Wormholes and Gateways. L-Gates cannot be built and there is a finite number of them (up to 10) in the galaxy. They use a hierarchical (or hub-and-spoke) connection design, where all roads lead to the L-Cluster. This means that an L-Gate can only send a fleet to the L-Cluster, but once in the L-Cluster the fleet can travel to any L-Gate in the galaxy. This bypass type, along with the ability to create whole new areas of the galaxy (and specify their location relative to another system or the galactic core) is available for modders to use as part of the free Niven update.
index.php

index.php

That's all for today! Next week we're going to continue talking about the Distant Stars Story Pack, on the topic of new anomalies, new systems and new Leviathans.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
DD
index.php

New Systems
Distant Stars adds around 20 new, unique systems to the galaxy, similar to Sanctuary or Zanaam in the base game. Most of these systems have unique encounters, event chains or anomalies related to them, and some are actually several systems with a common background or event chain tying them together. Overall, though none of these systems are guaranteed to spawn in any individual game, every randomly generated galaxy in Distant Stars should contain some new and potentially rewarding discoveries for your empire to make.
index.php

New Leviathans
Distant Stars also adds 3 new Leviathans to the galaxy. Two of these Leviathans work in a similar way to existing ones, while one is altogether different from anything you will have seen before. As with previous Leviathans in the Leviathan Story Pack, these new Leviathans have curator dialogue and interactions related to them, which means that the Curator Enclave will appear in the galaxy if you have Distant Stars but do not own Leviathans (Traders and Artists do not spawn unless you have Leviathans, however).
index.php

That's all for today! Next week we're going to talk about the Niven update, on the topic of Space Creatures and Strategic Resources.

there's a mod for that.
meanwhile, i'm out of stellaris at least until the next huge patch hits. i didn't know that starting the client without steam would have reset all the mods. i have more than a hundred of them, not all of them active, so i'm supposed to check them one by one and try to remember if i played with it or not, hoping to activate the right ones or compatibility issues will kill everything else.
oh well, not such a huge loss, after all my last game, which shouldn't have had those issues, finished when suddenly all my starbases vanished at once at the turn of a month. yes, i could have tried to build them back. 1) it would have taken decades 2) i was playing a xenophobe race whose bases are a thousand times stronger than the fleet, surrounded by superpowers.

see you next time.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Lovely shiny artwork, some interesting mechanisms, but the pace of the game is sooo sloooooooow. Wish I could speed it up to twice the max speed.

Actually now that I think of it, a higher speed setting would hugely improve the game. I actually like the slow travel time as a mechanic - it means you're forced to make strategic decisions about how much to commit to a war. You'll probably have fleets stationed throughout your empire to help defend and deal with situations, and the fact that sending them off to war means that it could be months before they return means you need to seriously consider whether it's worth it. And I like that mechanic. I feel like too often strategy games mostly reward gathering everything together into a massive deathball and smashing the enemy, and always commiting everything is just the default response no matter the situation. Stellaris still has some of that a bit, but it's not as bad as other games.

But waiting for ships to go anywhere is just so damn tedious. It's painful. A higher game speed would reduce the tedium while still keeping that decision making in.

whatevername

Arcane
After 2 years of constant failure we've got
MoO2 : Stellaris
100 : -9001

This game just needed AI, combat and diplomacy when it was 1.2 - 1.3 and it'd be good.
Mods, you can lock this thread now.

Hellion

Arcane
They're saying right now at ParadoxCon that they're planning to release a Diplomacy expansion, a Trade expansion, plus a major overhaul to the Planets system that might even end up removing tiles altogether.

PS. "Very Early Prototype Placeholder Art"
IwbZROf.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom