Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Still untapped Kickstarter game revivals...

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
With Bard's Tale IV finally drawing to a close that game franchise now has had it's "Kickstater moment" the same as Wasteland (Wasteland 2), Baldur's Gate (PoE), Ultima: Underworld (U:A) and Planescape: Torment (T:ToN) has. So I was thinking which style of games from our past haven't gone the KS route... yet?

Might & Magic comes to mind first. I suppose Lords of Xulima comes close but didn't make a big enough splash nor have a high profile name like Van Cangehem attached or leading it. There was MMX itself but that wasn't KSed but may take that itch away from old-school gamers. There also hasn't been a MMVI-VIII style game either.

Then there's Realms of Arkania. There was Thorvalla but that was a KS of epic failure.

Another that comes to mind is System Shock that always seems to live in legal hell. Maybe some "type" of SS Kickstarter game but I don't see it being successful without SHODAN attached.

Last one I think of is Thief, not cRPG related but I would LOVE to see an actual Thief game made that doesn't have AAA baggage to carry in any way.

What other franchises haven't been explored yet in the Kickstarter Renaissance?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vampire: The Masquerade
Arcanum

Although, to my knowledge, not enjoying any form of "cult" status nor being generally very "known" franchise, I'd like to see B.A.T. sequel or spiritual successor.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From a Codexian perspective, Arcanum is the most obvious one.

But I think most people would rather see a space opera/science fiction new IP at this point.

thexsa

Educated
Though the franchise is alive, Fallout 1 & 2 have not had a game resembling them as a kickstarter, except maybe Age of Decadence? Depending on how techincal we get with the term kickstarter revival.

Nor do the classical Ultima games have an equivalent, though I do not know how much interest they would get now with how much the series have been raped since Ultima IX and the upcoming "social mmo".

And if we look to more recent games, Gothic needs a real revival. Even though some claim Risen 1 is recent enough, that games final act made the game default to decline-status.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From a Codexian perspective, Arcanum is the most obvious one.

But I think most people would rather see a space opera/science fiction new IP at this point.

I think Fargo and Co. could do this more successfully than any others at this point but not sure about any newbie KSers coming in even with name recognition. I believe it would have to "play off of" or be a direct sequel to an existing franchise to make it on KS.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Turn based D&D like game like ToEE didn't have its KS yet. I would love if KotC author did a KS to make his KotC2 even bigger and even better.
And placing it in Ravenloft!! :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think Fargo and Co. could do this more successfully than any others at this point but not sure about any newbie KSers coming in even with name recognition. I believe it would have to "play off of" or be a direct sequel to an existing franchise to make it on KS.

"We're making an isometric Mass Effect."

Maelflux

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I would sell both my legs for a new Dark Sun game. I love that world to bits. But I guess there is some nasty IP rights issues there?!.. :(

mindx2

Patron

:lol:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Betrayal at Krondor seems an obvious one, but didn't Neal Halford try a Kickstarter and fail or something?

I'd chip in for something like that or maybe even a strategy game like Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen remade. Course Creative'd never allow it.

That Shadow of the Avatar is doing something Ultima-ish isn't it?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I know we had SITS, but Ultima VII would make a good candidate for a KS campaign.

Honourable "outsider" mention: Elite (not an RPG, but kinda an RPG?).

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Another that comes to mind is System Shock that always seems to live in legal hell. Maybe some "type" of SS Kickstarter game but I don't see it being successful without SHODAN attached.

First thing that came to my mind, pretty much immediately as the thread was loading.:S

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I think it's more interesting to talk about untapped genres or niches rather than IPs.

I mentioned a sci-fi RPG already.

A Star Control-style ship-based space exploration and diplomacy game. Stardock is making an actual Star Control game, though.

A Myth sequel/successor. Physics-based real-time tactics with lots of gore and an apocalyptic mood.

Maelflux

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd chip in for something like that or maybe even a strategy game like Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen remade. Course Creative'd never allow it.

Warhammer really let go a lot on their IP's. Have you seen all the Warhammer crap coming out these days? Hell, I think there is even a Plants vs Zombies-Warhammer, and a Battlechess-warhammer.

But a bit in the same vein, there should be coming a Total War: Warhammer. So that would hopefully be a decent strategy game like what you mention.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
If enough troika employees got back together and put up a semi-decent Kickstarter pitch for a new VTM game, I'd throw piles of money at it.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Warhammer really let go a lot on their IP's. Have you seen all the Warhammer crap coming out these days? Hell, I think there is even a Plants vs Zombies-Warhammer, and a Battlechess-warhammer.

But a bit in the same vein, there should be coming a Total War: Warhammer. So that would hopefully be a decent strategy game like what you mention.

The Battlechess one is alright surprisingly enough, worth a few quid on sale if you ask me. It's funny that Creative Assembly now have Warhammer because when I first played Total War I saw it as a fairly outright copy of Dark Omen's mechanics. I doubt you'll have that small mercenary company commander vibe that Shadow of the Horned Rat had though.

Mind you there's no future there with Games Workshop having destroyed the WHFB setting in the End Times, thirty years of world building flushed down the bog, what a fucking farce.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Some isometric action RPG where you could give commands to squad mates controlled by the Ai and with co-op would sell like crazy. Why didn't anyone got Unreal 4 to make some pretty explosions but on an isometric camera to not blow the budget too high? Go full weaboo too, get some kawaii waifus and go like Persona 4, everything is isometric but when two characters talk, some animu faces show that your waifus are sad or happy. :lol:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Oh obligatory mention of Severance: Blade of Darkness, best combat system i've ever played. Souls included, way before its time.

thexsa

Educated

Some isometric action RPG where you could give commands to squad mates controlled by the Ai and with co-op would sell like crazy. Why didn't anyone got Unreal 4 to make some pretty explosions but on an isometric camera to not blow the budget too high? Go full weaboo too, get some kawaii waifus and go like Persona 4, everything is isometric but when two characters talk, some animu faces show that your waifus are sad or happy. :lol:

Kinda already exists in Star Ocean. Co-op part is only couch co-op in battles though.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
sequel to Sengoku Rance.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Feargus wants to make an isometric Star Wars RPG (and he'll keep on wanting, probably)

pippin

If enough troika employees got back together and put up a semi-decent Kickstarter pitch for a new VTM game, I'd throw piles of money at it.

Brian Mitsoda's about to make you his ghoul.

Then there's Realms of Arkania. There was Thorvalla but that was a KS of epic failure.

Last one I think of is Thief, not cRPG related but I would LOVE to see an actual Thief game made that doesn't have AAA baggage to carry in any way.

I miss a proper RoA/DSA party based crpg too. It's so sad to see this franchise turn into Warhammer levels of shovelware.
Thief could be possible, because kids these days love "stealth" games. However Thi4f was bad and unloved even by popamole kiddies, and the game wasn't even a passable Dishonored clone.
If I remember correctly the SS2 name belongs to an insurance company and Night Dive only has distribution rights. This is the best possible scenario in my opinion. Ken Levine would be the first guy to jump in and try to make a SS3.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPG-wise I think we are pretty much set (assuming PoE gets a sequel that is a better game), but I would love to play a new title that is similar to Conflict: Freespace or Interstate 76 .

And yeah, I would love a party-based sci-fi RPG with turn-based combat. Please kickstart that already Chris Avellone . I would also settle for a dream-world, or mind-world like setting or something that clashes sci-fi and fantasy, like they want(ed?) to do in "Aliens, Trolls and Dragons" (not sure if the project is still alive), but well-made:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom