Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. You can now buy a 16 GB Codex Troll USB 3.0 for $30 USD (includes postage), simply [donate to the campaign] here! (Only 2 left!)
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Story Ideas Topic

Discussion in 'Codex Public Library' started by The Brazilian Slaughter, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Vaarna_Aarne Ask me about anime Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Click here and disable ads!
    Actually, it's doubtful superhumans would change gun-control in pro-gun favour, most likely superhumans themselves would enforce stricter gun laws, especially if there were pro-active superheroes. Having people have more guns would only make their jobs harder. For further reading on the whole "super power and superpowers" subject, read the following series: Miracleman, StormWatch and The Authority (all of which can be read here in my Let's Reads, btw). Bottomline remains the same though: When superhumans collide with human politics, human politics are gonna give way, and there's no way any government could ever really be in control. Ie, in StormWatch, which is about a UN-sanctioned and funded global superteam of said name, even if the team is nominally under United Nations Special Security Council jurisdiction and requires a member country to invoke Code Perfect for StormWatch intervention, the commander of the force, Henry Bendix aka The Weatherman, it's always clear that there's ultimately little the world powers can do except ask nicely for StormWatch cooperation and take what Henry Bendix gives them (Bendix also operates entirely above any law).

This is taken further in the sequel series, The Authority, where the following was asked: What if a JLA level superteam parked their extra-dimensional base of operations over Chechnya and announced that they're giving Russia a week to cease all hostilities and totally withdraw from Chechnya or they'll erase Russia from the map (after that on they give China three days to leave Tibet). Here's what happens: The superpowers pack their bags and comply with their tails between their legs. It's like when in Miracleman, as MM outlines his complete reconsctruction of economy to the British cabinet and Margaret Thatcher replies "No, no, no! This is all quite prepostrous. We can never allow this kind of interference with the market." to which all Miracleman does in reaction is to look at her with a slightly confused face, asking "Allow?"

The point is, the impact of high-power superhumans would reshape everything around them. They'd literally make political entities obsolete, and it is doubtful that from their vantage point they'd choose to ally with any of them, least of all any superpower.

On a more low-level scale of superhumans and reality meeting, do read the backstory for the PnP RPG, Godlike. Godlike is an RPG about a World War 2 with an alternate history with the first superhuman emerging shortly before the war and the rest during it, but what makes it important in the subject of alternate reality with low-power superhumans is clear from the tagline of the game: "You are larger than life. But the war is larger than you."

Also, I'd advise to think very carefully about supernaturals and superhumans. With this, you must remember a very, very important thing and that's to remember the mythogical history behind them, which serves to remind you of one point: If super-naturals actually tried to fight superhumans, they'd be demolished. Remember, Aquaman curbstomps Cthulhu.
    ^ Top  
  2. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    In short, superheroes are brainchild terrorists.
    And LOL at any superhuman meddling with supernatural entities, swamp Thing did a fine job in handling the issue, without mentioning that the Spectre is almost omnipotent, that's why they knock him down several notches.
    Just to make this post longer, Ghost can burn the souls of his enemies, and he is using the flames of hell, this means that Mephisto can easily make any supehuman his bitch, literally, in fact, both in DC and Marvel the only thing that saves superheroes asses is the fact that there are supernatural entities on their side preventing the big bad evil from conquering the universe.
    herostratus Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  3. Vaarna_Aarne Ask me about anime Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Aforementioned things aren't exactly what you'd define as part of the ye olde supernatural genre like vampires and so forth there, they're superhero genre stuff.

And I'm not exactly sure telling Russia to leave Chechnya or China to leave Tibet and then enforcing it makes you a terrorist. More like the best thing to happen to human politics.
    ^ Top  
  4. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Make up your mind, I cited in-lore supernatural beings, if you go for folklore a vampire can easily wipe out half of the existing super heroes, without mentioning that there are much more dangerous creatures in ancient folklores.
    Stop making GD posts, and stop believing in your own retarded world view.
    Besides, I am not surprised how you find nothing wrong with Islamic terrorism, if aimed at Russians, I bet Osama Bil Laden was your hero until 9/11.
    And China brought most needed incline to Tibet, or do you love theocracies?
    And finally, let's address your ideological drivel fueling your delusions, you assume that superheroes, if they would exist, will strictly adhere to the canon of Kwanzania propaganda, think again, you could get super Andhaira ass raping to death all Kwznzanian and Finns instead.
    ^ Top  
  5. Vaarna_Aarne Ask me about anime Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    :hearnoevil:
    ^ Top  
  6. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Yeah yeah, continue to believe that Superman can punch even God, but I must inform you that the only one that Kicked Gawd's ass is Lobo.
    ^ Top  
  7. Vaarna_Aarne Ask me about anime Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Lobo's not the only one, actually. But Lobo's the only one that's been hired to kill superheroes in exchange for the meat in the carcass of God by the tapeworms that lived there.
    ^ Top  
  8. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    What :lol: ?
    ^ Top  
  9. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    I don't have a whole lot of ideas, I doubt I'll ever get off my ass and actually write one down. One was a firefly ripoff but replace the spacewestern planets with spaceukraine, lots of steppes etc., high-ranking corporate managers acting like Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth nobles only owning entire planets/continents and oppressing the colonists in some sort of twisted neo-feudalism system. The crew would be a bunch of space pirate anti-heroes flying around in a corvette they stole when they deserted from one of the private corporate armies. Always on the run. Although I don't really have any ideas on how to expand that concept. There is also the cyberpunk story I started writing and would like to finish one day, but that actually has some nice original ideas in it so I rather keep it a secret.
    ^ Top  
  10. Vaarna_Aarne Ask me about anime Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    True story. Lobo also killed the Easter Bunny in the over-arching story for not having the cash promised for killing Santa Claus.
    ^ Top  
  11. hoodoo Prophet

hoodoo
    how does Aquaman curbstomp Cthulu though?
    ^ Top  
  12. Vaarna_Aarne Ask me about anime Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    ^ Top  
  13. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    Title of that comic, plz?
    ^ Top  
  14. kris Arcane

kris
    Maybe he just likes culture and religious freedom. Or for thousands of Tibetans to return home before they all been replaced by Han chinese.
    ^ Top  
  15. kris Arcane

kris
    As for comparing superheroes and supernaturals. It is often a pointless excercise. As it is, the winner will always be the one the writer choses. Even if that means Daredevil defeates the "real" devil. I am not sure we would ever even agree on the extent of most participants powers and powerlevels.

Here is why I felt season 5 of supernatural was shitty.
    ^ Top  
  16. Vaarna_Aarne Ask me about anime Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    ^ Top  
  17. jcd Arcane Patron Zionist Agent

jcd
    Codex 2014
    After reading Plato's Republic I thought his story of Gyges might be actually a pretty cool idea to expand.

In the original story, a shepherd discovers a cavern in a mountainside after an earthquake. Inside the cavern, Gyges (the shepherd) discovers a bronze horse containing a corpse larger than any man, wearing a golden ring. Gyges took the ring and it gave him the power to become invisible by adjusting it. Gyges used his new-found power to seduce the queen, murder the king and take his place.

After I first read this, it struck me the bronze horse could actually be some kind of spacecraft, and the corpse inside a corpse of some kind of extraterrestrial. Instead of an earthquake we would have crash landing. Initially, the story would be about a detective following series of thefts and robberies in which the apparent culprit left no trace. After closer investigation, some details would surface, indicating the necessity of the culprit having supernatural powers. The premise (story of the ring etc.) would be revealed in the penultimate chapter as a flashback, only implying that it's the story of the main antagonist (everyone would easily figure that out, quite obviously).

Too bad I can't write to save my life.
    ^ Top  
  18. hoodoo Prophet

hoodoo
    :salute:

I like how the picture fer the video is a close-up of aqua-mans crotch
    ^ Top  
  19. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Yeah, like no one already knows you, pray tell kind hearts, what's your position about Cyprus, North Ireland, Kurdistan and Palestine.
    ^ Top  
  20. Vaarna_Aarne Ask me about anime Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Freedom (Cyprus for Cypriots, no Turkish occupation, bilingual state), freedom (as a fully recognized and supported ethnic group on their native land, if they insist, they can still be part of the UK), freedom (Free Kurdistan), and freedom (either free Palestine or a citizenship, linguistic rights and cultural recognition as an indigenous people of Israel).
    ^ Top  
  21. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    And how about of the civil rights of ethnic Russian minorities in the Baltic?:smug:
    ^ Top  
  22. Slenkar Arcane

Slenkar
    Cthulu got mortally injured/killed by being hit by a little boat, most superheroes would shrug that off
    ^ Top  
  23. Vaarna_Aarne Ask me about anime Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Not indigenous, only invaders. What you are implying is that some who has had their house stolen from them by a gangster should then pay for the gangster's living and let him stay after his crime is undone. They have no right to ask anything from the peoples they threatened with extinction.
    ^ Top  
  24. Andyman Messiah Mr. Ed-ucated

Andyman Messiah
    I usually write about drug addicts that spend chapters half passed out in bed and rats peeing on them.
    ^ Top  
  25. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Here's a suggestion:
    What about having Nomad Horse Nomads/Cossacks in those spaceukraines? They would be horse nomads who live in areas less suited to farming. From what you said, such primitive planets would probrably be large semi-medieval agrarian societies clustered in the more fertile areas and around one or a few central cities that contain all the infraestructure necessary for their operation, like Mass Drivers, Launch Bases, Spaceports, hi-tech infraestructure and services for the local corporates, the works. The Nomads would live in the harsher, less fertile areas, in the border of civilization.

I can see them being used in many ways:

1. They are part of the neo-feudal chain of aleigance. They fight each other and, in exchange for the farmers' produce, they get weaponry and technology to fight each other with. The Corporates, of course, make it so that no single Khan growns too powerful, else he might revolt against his corporate masters.

2. They are the resistance. The Horse Nomads help the farmers flee from feudal opression and turn into bands of nomads living a pastorial/coastal life in areas far away from the center of civilization. How they are depends on your sliding scale of idealism and cynism. For example, you could feature a cool Genghis Khan/Timur figure who rallies the nomads into hordes that fight the evil corporates, or a murderous version who is a evil conqueror who is playing his cards to eventually enter a position to fight the corporates.

3. They are a local problem, kinda like how expansionist settlers in America saw the native americans. They are essentially people who, for some reason, were already there before the Corporates came, and now resist their expansion upon their pasture.

Considering you have multiple Spaceukraines, it might actually work to have multiple interpretations differing though planets.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)