Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Story spoiler thread.

Perkel

Arcane
Did this thread because some people seems to spoil things in main thread.

Hegel

Arcane
I almost teared a little when I saw Geralt cry. :(
As a father, I can relate.

APGunner

Augur
Ok guys, I've just beaten the game. SPOILERS IN A SPOILERS THREAD.

I've had Roache(and Ves), Letho, Hjalmar(and an archer I saved during his quest), Keira Metz, Ermion, Zoltan helping me during the siege of Kaer Morhen. Dijkstra did not want to send help(can he?). Nobody died during the siege except Vesemir, but that's predetermined I think. Later Lambert and Keira Metz fell in love(?), I wonder what happens if you don't invite Keira to Kaer Morhen, can any of the characters die?

In Witcher 1 Triss had character identical to Yennefer(in russain localization Triss spoke in direct Yennefer's quotes from the books), now that there is Yennefer in the game, I feel like they have changed Triss'es character and appearance to be more "young". Which I don't mind, but it still feels like a retcon in-game universe wise. Liked the love triangle between Geralt, Yennefer and Triss. Philippa's comment about this situation was spot-on.

Yennefer was good, just how I imagined. You always feel like she is not telling you all the details, using you, is into political schemes, but at the same time she loves you. Her side-quest with the djinn was very good. I've chosen her as my waifu(as should anyone who has read the books) and extremely pleased with the way Geralt's and Yennefer's relationship was handled(by the end she is finally sick of politics and just wants to live stress-free with those who she loves). Loved how she threw the bed off the window on which Triss slept in Kaer Morhen.

Ciri was good, thank god she wasn't written as a bland character, you even can play as her and make some decisions accordring to your vision of her character. The ending related to Ciri was predictable. I understood where(how) everything will end fairly quick. About the ending, I've got the very best and "canon" ending in my opinion:
  • Radovid is not assassinated, wins the war, unites the North. Persecutions of non-humans and magic-users continue. Emhyr is however assassinated. Why is it good? Radovid will die some day and persecutions will stop, while a strong united North will remain.
  • Ciri LIVES and is on the Path together with Geralt happily ever after.
  • Geralt lives with Yennefer in a secluded place happily ever after(a bit of a contradiction between second and third point?).
  • The End.
Also when you are travelling with Avallac'h in space and time between "spheres" you get to see some GORGEOUS landscapes, loved it. This was the point where I really started to appreciate all the work devs put into this game.

Overall the story is extremely respectful to those who love the books/games/universe and gives us a perfect ending for all main characters. I feel that returning to these characters again in any form of media will be a mistake.
:love:

Hegel

Arcane
Keira Metz and the witcher start a partnership.
Radovid is assassinated, the Empire annexes the North. Weared out by continuous rebel raids Emhyr acknowledges Temeria as a vassal state, his focus turns to the internal front where he proceeds to crush any internal opposition.
Under the redhead's rule, Skellige becomes a prosperous and pacific country no longer bound by the traditions of the past
Ciri returns to Nilfgaard and becomes an enlightened empress, she inherited Emhyr's cleverness and Geralt's decency and pure heartedness.
Geralt marries Triss ( Triss' quests were great; if you romance both sorceresses you'll end up with neither of them and Geralt goes back to the path, ever coinless and hunting, his only solace will be the occasional chat with Dandelion, reminiscing about a past and a future that could have been), their home smells of baked cakes and is always open to visitors. Geralt will still accept a contract every once in a while but Triss, being the king's magician, earns so much that they can afford a life of luxury.
The build-up to this ending is strong, I urge you to unlock it.

The third (and bad) epilogue is perhaps the best one.

Last edited:

APGunner

Augur
Here is a detailed guide on how to get certain endings.
Looks like I've got CCBA. Ciri on the witcher path. Geralt living with Yennefer. Radovid Triumphant. Cerys’ Reign. Very happy with how it turned out on the first playthrough, wouldn't change a thing.

Edit: fuck it, i'll just copy the post here.

There are three main playable epilogues in the Witcher 3, with a good variety of variations depending on your choices both in the main quest and through sidequests in the game. Ciri’s fate is the most important, as what happens to her will determine the epilogue you receive. All other significant choices will be elaborated upon in a short hand-painted scene narrated by an older Dandelion that rolls just before the end credits.

CIRI’S FATE:
Ending A: DEATH

Wow you really screwed up there bud didn’t ya?

Anyways, here’s how to kill your daughter in a couple easy steps (Apparently as soon as three of the below are chosen this epilogue automatically triggers):
1) After Vesemir’s death, you must choose to drink with Ciri instead of tossing some snowballs to cheer her up.
2) During a conversation with Ciri late in the game, you have the option to mention that the Emperor wants to see her. If you choose to go with her to Emhyr, you must accept the coin bounty that you are given instead of refusing it.
3) During final preparations, you must not have let Ciri go alone to the Lodge of Sorceresses.
4) When you are given the option to do so, give the necklace of Lara Dorren to Ciri/Don't destroy the lab.
5) Stop Ciri from going to the grave of Skjall.

In this epilogue you will be hunting down the final crone that got away during one of Ciri’s boss fights. You will encounter a werewolf; depending on your dialogue choice he will either fight you or lead you to the crone (and fight alongside you in the battle). Later on you are given another choice to antagonize and fight some random hunters. You eventually find and kill the crone. Tearing the crone’s house apart, you find Ciri’s medallion and the game ends with you staring on morosely. Yeah, I hope that feels bad. Maybe on your next playthrough you won’t be such a bad father. >:I

Ending B: EMPRESS OF NILFGAARD

A bittersweet epilogue, yet it happens to be my favorite so far.

To obtain this epilogue:
1) After Vesemir’s death, have a snowball fight with Ciri to cheer her up
2) During a conversation with Ciri late in the game, you have the option to mention that the Emperor wants to see her. Choose to go with her to Emhyr, and refuse to take the coin bounty that was promised.
3) During final preparations, let Ciri go alone to talk with the Lodge
4) Do not give the necklace of Lara Dorren to Ciri/Let her destroy the lab.
5) Let Ciri go to Skjall.

You have to visit Emhyr to get this epilogue and you have to pick at least 3 other options from the rest of the list to finalize the epilogue (honestly to make sure you get the right endings you might as well just do all of it). You also have to make sure Emhyr wins the war by completing the Radovid assassination quest and not allowing Roche and co. to die.

For this ending, you start off already inside a tavern. Zoltan, Dandelion, and your wife (Triss, Yennefer, or an empty chair if you didn’t pursue romance or ended up getting caught cheating) will be there as well. You’ll soon go to look for Ciri and find her and save her from nearly getting killed by a random monster at the griffin’s nest. She seems really distracted, so you suggest going on a little fishing trip. Scare the bear away from the area and show off your fishing skills to Ciri by blowing up the fish with bombs. After another walk with Ciri you’ll come across a Nilfgaardian encampment. Ciri will remark on how she almost forgot it was today (pfft) and Geralt will be caught off guard and somewhat shocked. Anyways, exhaust the dialogue options and you’ll find that she made this choice of her own volition after some careful thought, believing that she could make a much bigger difference running the empire than being on the road as a witcher. They will share a heartfelt goodbye (Ciri will say something about it not necessarily being a goodbye and you can choose to agree, with Geralt saying that Ciri will be able to visit and find him occasionally) and Ciri will hand over her sword and head off to the Nilfgaardians waiting for her (probably not the wisest of decisions considering how many kings have already been killed by the end of this series :I). At the end, Dandelion will remark on how Ciri inherited her father’s keen political instincts and Geralt’s sense of basic human decency, something that few rulers possessed. Ciri ends up ruling most of the world.

Ending C: ON THE WITCHER PATH

Probably the happiest epilogue, although it doesn’t seem like that at first due to a bait-and-switch that CDProjektRed tries to pull to make you think Ciri’s dead for the majority of it. Hahahahaha what a good joke (it wasn’t. It really wasn’t. Please don’t do that ever again.).

To get this epilogue, just do the same thing to get epilogue B, except convince Ciri not to go to Emhyr for a final visit when the option comes up during a conversation late game. Actually I think this can still trigger if you do go for the final visit and take the coin bounty because Ciri gets all pissed off at Geralt and says she can't be bribed but I can't remember.

In this epilogue, you visit his royal majesty in Vizima to tell him that Ciri died saving everyone from the White Frost. Depending on how much of a sadist you want to be you can either tell him that he was a terrible father for Ciri and make him really upset or you can try to lie and tell him that Ciri regretted not being able to say goodbye, which still makes him upset but considerably less so. In any case he tells you that you’re free to go and that he doesn’t want to see you ever again. Time passes and you travel to get an amazing Witcher’s sword from a renowned merchant. You get the choice of choosing what to inscribe on the sword, either naming it Swallow in Elder Speech (the first option) or some random saying (the second option). I hope if you get this epilogue you choose the first because that’s the only thing that makes sense :P. You head inside a tavern and SURPISE turns out Ciri’s alive!!! She asks if Emhyr believes you, and Geralt says he has no clue, before giving her the brand spanking new witcher’s sword. The epilogue ends with both of them getting ready to go on a hunt. Geralt teaches Ciri all he knows and then they set off on their own paths. Word of an ashen-haired witcher spreads throughout the North and Ciri takes up your calling.

GERALT’S FATE:
Ending A: Alone and on the Witcher Path

To obtain this ending is relatively simple: either forgo all romantic interaction with Triss and Yennefer by not completing their respective sidequests, or try to double time them, resulting in an absolutely hilarious breakup scene. Yup, you had it coming. Anyways, Geralt continues on his path as a witcher, ever on the move, looking for coin and fulfilling monster contracts, while occasionally meeting up with Dandelion at taverns and bars to reminisce over what could have or might have been.

Ending B: Living with Triss

In this ending, Geralt and Triss settle down in an idyllic cottage in Kovir for their happily ever after. Triss takes up work as a mage adviser to the king while Geralt occasionally does some Witcher work for the heck of it (not because he really needs to since apparently the king pays well and Triss becomes wealthy, but just for the fun of it).
To obtain this outcome just complete all of Triss’s sidequests, be nice to her, do romantic stuff when prompted, and don’t try to cheat on her with Yennefer.

Ending C: Living with Yennefer

In this ending, Geralt and Yennefer settle down in the middle of nowhere, far away from any politics. They enjoy long romantic strolls together and wake up late for breakfasts in bed. Just a quiet, simple, life that they are content with.
To obtain this outcome just complete all of Yennefer’s sidequests, be nice to her, do romantic stuff when prompted, and don’t try to cheat on her with Triss.

Fate of the Northern Kingdoms:
Ending A: Emhyr Triumphant

Nilfgaard envelops the entirety of the North, and black banners fall over all of Redania. Nilfgaardian troops withdraw from Temeria, and the country is restored with its old borders, albeit as a vassal state to Nilfgaard. Shifting his focus to the domestic front, with the help of his loyal spies, Emperor Emhyr discovers a conspiracy being created to kill him and quickly moves to execute the would-be traitors.

To obtain this outcome, you must:
1) Participate in the sidequest to assassinate Radovid with Roche, Ves, Thaler, and Dijkstra
2) After the assassination and celebration, when Dijkstra attempts to eliminate Roche, Ves, and Thaler to ensure that Temeria does not sign the truce with Nilfgaard, you must choose to not let them die instead of walking away. Your final objective is to kill Dijkstra and his men.

Ending B: Radovid Triumphant

Outnumbered, but, stunningly enough, not outwitted, Radovid proves to be a surprisingly cunning and capable leader and drives back the Black Ones. All of the North is united under Redania, and the Northern Kingdoms become the Nazi KKKingdoms. Non-humans, mages, sorcerers, and other “degenerates” are killed in droves in the drive for “moral renewal”. Pyres burn throughout the North, and even simple herbalists and healers are caught up and killed in the frenzy. For some, “freedom” under Radovid’s scepter is worse than servitude to others. Meanwhile, in Nilfgaard, the Emperor’s failure to complete his conquest proves his fallibility and galvanizes his opposition. A coup is carried out and Emhyr is assassinated.
To obtain this ending, just ignore the sidequest to assassinate Radovid.

Ending C: Dijkstra Triumphant

With the death of Radovid, Dijkstra quickly moves to secure his reign on Redania and to continue the war against Nilfgaard. Without the fanaticism of Radovid, Dijkstra stops the senseless mage massacres and other silliness and turns Redania into a more civilized state, and is successful in uniting all the free North under Redania and driving back the invaders to the south. Meanwhile, in Nilfgaard, the Emperor’s failure to complete his conquest proves his fallibility and galvanizes his opposition. A coup is carried out and Emhyr is assassinated.

To obtain this outcome, you must:
1) Participate in the sidequest to assassinate Radovid with Roche, Ves, Thaler, and Dijkstra
2) After the assassination and celebration, when Dijkstra attempts to eliminate Roche, Ves, and Thaler to ensure that Temeria does not sign the truce with Nilfgaard, you must choose to walk away and not get involved.

Fate of Skellige Isles
Ending A: Cerys’ Reign

Support Cerys in the King’s Gambit sidequest and she will lead the isles to become more isolationist, ensuring that no more raiding of foreign shores occurs. Focusing inwards, the people of Skellige enjoy great prosperity, although their fangs are dulled from not fighting anymore. Definitely the happiest ending.

Ending B: Hjalmar’s Reign

Support Hjalmar in the King’s Gambit sidequest and he will lead them to never ending raids against Nilfgaard’s shores. I suppose if you really hate Nilfgaard and wanted to see them weaken further you’d choose this and support either Dijkestra or Radovid.

Ending C: Svanrige’s Reign

On the other hand, if you were lazy and just wanted to speed through the game while doing as little sidequests as possible, this ending will be automatically chosen for you. Svanrige unites the islands under an absolute monarchy modeled after those on the continent; unfortunately he ends up shedding a lot of his countrymen’s blood in the process.

Perkel

Arcane
Loved coming back to Kaer Mohren. Destroyed bed banter was amazing as well as getting drunk with other witchers.

APGunner

Augur
Loved coming back to Kaer Mohren. Destroyed bed banter was amazing as well as getting drunk with other witchers.
Eh, I imagined witchers being a bit different. Especially Lambert, he is shown as a too much of an asshole, but at least he got a nice backstory AND a sorceress. Eskel seemed like a not very bright man in this game, which I also didn't like.

Perkel

Arcane
Eh, I imagined witchers being a bit different. Especially Lambert, he is shown as a too much of an asshole, but at least he got a nice backstory AND a sorceress. Eskel seemed like a not very bright man in this game, which I also didn't like.

Keira ending did surprise me though. In my game she went of with Lambert and she later cured Catriona which was part of really good C&C
I wouldn't mind though expansion staring lambert. His approach to life should be hilarious when doing quests.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
What happen if Geralt immediately frees the spirit without even going to Orphanage and Crones first?

APGunner

Augur
Keira ending did surprise me though. In my game she went of with Lambert and she later cured Catriona which was part of really good C&C.
Same.
I wouldn't mind though expansion staring lambert. His approach to life should be hilarious when doing quests.
Same.

What happen if Geralt immediately frees the spirit without even going to Orphanage and Crones first?
I went to several places that were important for the main quest BEFORE being sent there by NPCs and they were empty, so I don't think you're able to free the tree spirit without seeing the Crones first and getting the quest.
If you could, then I think Baron would hang himself anyway.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I can't believe that Geralt dies.. I guess that's why this is the last Witcher..

Keira ending did surprise me though. In my game she went of with Lambert and she later cured Catriona which was part of really good C&C

I hate Lambert..He gets worse with each game.

Perkel

Arcane
I just remembered philippa being owl when zoltan had her.
I imminently knew that that was filippa for some reason. I mean like in split second.
Still i didn't play gwent so i skipped that quest.

Which in turn was kind of good because that lead to Dijkistra vs Philippa showdown.
I can't believe that Geralt dies.. I guess that's why this is the last Witcher..

troll post ? In none of endings He dies nor Ciri

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Alrighty just finished after 100 hours. Geralt teached the ways of the Path to Ciri and then strolled with Yen in middle of nowhere. With the unicorn... (it had an arrow on it?!?! poor thingy...)

Deleted member 7219

Completed the game after 65 hours. Every point in Velen / White Orchard / Novigrad explored, every witcher contract done (except for Oxenfurt Woods, will do that in a bit), every 'main' sidequest done and I've only got the horse racing, shit cards and Witcher Forge left to do.

I am very satisfied with the ending I got. Geralt settled down with Yennefer, Ciri became a Witcher, Temeria has a little bit of freedom (go BROche). I took care to spare as many people as I could along the way, so Letho is still wandering about, and Lambert is partnered with Keira Metz. I have no idea what Avallach and Phillipa Eilheart are doing, not to mention Triss, Dandelion and Zoltan.

I can only assume that CDProjekt will make another game in the Witcher universe, albeit with a new protagonist. It doesn't make sense to totally ignore all the other characters in the endings if not for that.

I thought the Battle for Kaer Morhen was excellently done, but I do have a few niggles with the ending. We never really understood the motives of the Wild Hunt. Ok, so they conquered their home world - got it, understood. What is their interest in Geralt's world again? What did they want with Ciri? Did they want the White Frost to come? I remember something about that from the ending of Witcher 1, but can't remember much.

After looking into the other endings, I'm glad I killed the spirit now, even though it meant the children died and Anna went insane. I spent most of the game regretting my choice, I was sure there was a better alternative, and it was nice to know that actually, I probably chose the best of two bad options.

Deleted member 7219

Completed the game after 65 hours.

65 hours? You played through Steam or Galaxy? Coz I'm pretty sure Galaxy didn't track the game progress correctly before the second patch. Still, that's a very fast playthrough.

You may be right. As I said, I haven't explored absolutely everywhere, although I have 'done' everything in Velen except for the Oxenfurt Forest Witcher Contract, and I think I've done every sidequest except for Witcher Forge. I think all I have left now are the treasure hunts, and a great deal of locations in Skellige (many of them in the sea).

I found most sidequests were quick to complete, except for the story related ones, which I enjoyed a great deal - especially the ones for Keira Metz, Letho, BROche, Triss and Ciri.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
As for the endings - I found the stuff with the White Frost a bit wonky, am I alone? So the entire game we're chasing and fighting these uber-villains (excellently done btw) and when they're all defeated we learn:

"Oh yeah, you beat the Wild Hunt, great, have a gold star Geralt. Now move over and let Ciri do the real fight against the White Frost. Because that's what the whole 120 hour game was really about you know. The White Frost."

And after the epic end fight with Caranthir and Eredin, Ciri is like "Now I have to defeat the White Frost!" So she pops in some door, have a few flashbacks and boom, the ancient cosmic evil is no more! Congratulations, roll the credits.

And I'm like, wait..what?

It's not ME3 disaster ofc but still left me a bit annoyed. Luckily the very final segment with Ciri having a stroll in a winter forest was fucking brilliant. So all's well that ends well.

Deleted member 7219

As for the endings - I found the stuff with the White Frost a bit wonky, am I alone? So the entire game we're chasing and fighting these uber-villains (excellently done btw) and when they're all defeated we learn:

"Oh yeah, you beat the Wild Hunt, great, have a gold star Geralt. Now move over and let Ciri do the real fight against the White Frost. Because that's what the whole 120 hour game was really about you know. The White Frost."

And after the epic end fight with Caranthir and Eredin, Ciri is like "Now I have to defeat the White Frost!" So she pops in some door, have a few flashbacks and boom, the ancient cosmic evil is no more! Congratulations, roll the credits.

It's not ME3 disaster ofc but still left me a bit annoyed. Luckily the very final segment with Ciri having a stroll in a winter forest was fucking brilliant. So all's well that ends well.

Stroll through a winter forest? I thought the only endings for Ciri were

a) Witcher
b) Empress
c) Dead

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Stroll through a winter forest? I thought the only endings for Ciri were

a) Witcher
b) Empress
c) Dead

Yes and the empress ending is about you having a stroll with Ciri in a winter forest and basically saying goodbye in quite a moving way.

Deleted member 7219

Thanks for that. Turns out there's a few sidequests I haven't done yet, like Iron Maiden on Faroe Island. I'll go and see if I can pick that one up.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Fuck, games giving me some major feels. Between the Baron's sidequest and Geralt and Ciri's reunion; damn.

Just getting to the part where you're gonna have to choose whether to kill Radovid or not. Already got spoiled and know that killing him means either letting Nilfgard win or killing Broche. Fuckers. Might have to just let Radovid live.

Perkel

Arcane
Guise, explain to me how can Falka have Elder Blood? Wiki suggests Ciri is descendant of hers and not of Riannon (Lara Dorren's daughter). Lara Dorren spawn bastards too?

Falka didn't have Elder Blood gene.

She was whoring herself to her generals at time of her rebelion, got pregnant and born at time when rianion did (and at that time she was her prisoner). By end of rebelion she hid her kid between Rianion's kids. Rianion probably was raped/tortured through whole rebelion and lost her mind so after her husband got her she wasn't able to tell which kid was hers. By the time she got better kids were already running around castle and no one tried to figure out which is Falka kid.

Wiki in many places has problems. Like for example they state Yennefer was youngest sorceress of lodge where she:
a) wasn't in lodge (they tried to get her joined but she run off quickly and then lodge considered her as enemy)
b) it was about Triss in first place.

Either way Ciri is Lara kin which you can see in her eyes and face structure. For example in Avallah house you can see Lara Doren portrait which is resembling Ciri and on Thanned when Vilgefortz was talking with Geralt he showed him new painting of Lara which had exact same eyes color as Ciri.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom