Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Storyline structure in RPGs

buzz

Arcane
Gothic 1 is a linear game with a plethora of well-thought "natural barriers". Pretty much most if not all the zones in the game minus the forests or some caves have some purpose in some quest at some point. There are very few things which are just extra shit you can do at any point in time or whatever. Same with the quests. The Chromanin quest is pretty much the only big sidequest I remember.

If you play the game the "proper" way, as in not fuck around in the forests and dangerous places, you'll never meet a giant troll up until chapter 3 when you fight 2 of them in specific main quests.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
How is 2 more coherent than 1? From the player's view, a story designed in either way would be equally coherent, wouldn't it? With the only difference being how much data is presented to the player in 1.

You awaken in a dark room. You can go north or east.

GO EAST.

You have stumbled into the lair of Nruglaz, Archduke of the Damned! He flays your skin from your body; the last hope of the Dyanese Elves dies with you.

THE END.

Sometimes, complete freedom to go anywhere or do anything leaves the player without a firm grip on what's going on.

Not necessarily. This is bad storytelling and not a fault of open world design.

A story in happening in a world that is designed to please the audience. Which means, that the demon in question could have had *danger!* *warning!* signs of some sort (hellish landscape, bones, frightened villagers etc right outside of his realms. If you still felt that you were justified in swinging in their with clothes armour and training sword, it was your funeral.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
What do you prefer in RPGs?

1. Completely open and organic storyline where you can do almost anything in any moment (for example killing an important npc) like in Fallout 1, New Vegas, Morrowind, Gothic 3 and it would fit to your actions somehow.

2. Constrictive structure with a set of predefined modules, that are usually more coherent and specific, but with more restrictions at the same (for example can't kill an important npc before some stage) like in The Witcher series?

You can't have both at the same time and on a same level because both approaches have their own pros, cons and limitations.
A mim of both really. Being dropped in a world with the freedom to explore it and consume it's content at will, is a nice concept on paper but it often leads to poor storytelling, if that's not your thing, the that might be fine... But for those that enjoy a coherent story with proper pace, a modicum of direction and set pieces are needed.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like a combination. I know you said this is impossible, but hear me out. It's great to have a focused story, but make it too urgent and I start to feel like my free will is being sapped.

My ideal is a strong story that has natural break points that give me the freedom to do side things. Anybody else remember Caius Cosades from Morrowind? First thing he says when you report to him: I'm not going to give you your mission yet. Go explore the landscape, learn about the country, figure out how to fit in here better, and then we'll talk. This is perfect: simultaneously motivating and liberating.

Then there's always the classic line "We've done all we can, nothing to do now but wait." There are all kinds of justifications for giving the player free time even when they're doing all they can to advance the story. Find these justifications and make them work. Then when it's time to get them back on the railroad tracks, do so mercilessly and impose consequences for negligence.

I love it when a game puts pressure on my ass to get things done, but in an RPG it's also good to have breaks to pursue minor or side interests ... or even to find out that the main plot isn't what you thought it was.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah it's actually retardedly easy to just make an npc go: "Look I get it, you're motivated. But we just inducted you into our order. Chill for a week and then come back to me."

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The magic crystals are in place but the stars are not yet in alignment

There's nothing more we can do until the killer strikes again

The check is in the mail

The boy isn't old enough yet to take on the responsibilities of the throne

etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom