Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter STRAFE® - fast-paced, gib-fest FPS with procedural generation, 1996©

Ivan

Arcane

get it now?

Kontra

Educated
No man its not what i meant. I know that song. But what i meant is what a hell is going on in the trailer. And yeah i get it now, the player blows the monsters head off after killing all his buddies. Well okay, but it still sucks.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I might have been jizzing my pants if the artstyle wasn't a nearsighted man's interpretation of 90's shooter artstyles, the developers didn't forget to check GOOD LEVEL DESIGN on their list of things to ape from 90's shooters, the game wasn't made in 'silky smooth 24 fps for games that look like they were made in 1996' Unity Engine, the UI wasn't so obtrusive and poorly designed, there was actually some thought put in enemy variety, the gore wasn't actually obstructing your vision, the music didn't sound like random background noise, the enviroments looked actually interesting, the color scheme wasn't an assault on your senses.

The weapon arsenal looks pretty decent, each weapon having an alt. fire and some movement trick, but it remains to be seen if those movement tricks aren't just gimmicks you will rarely ever use.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
What is it with those games that nobody can get it right anymore? It's not exactly a complex formula, and people make good new content for old FPS all the time, so what is it?

Riskbreaker

This is the history of 1990s FPS gaming, as written by the victors.

:negative:
This particular battle was lost long ago, ever since Serious Sam and Painkiller were heralded as "throwback to Doom and Quake" by the gaming media.

tormund

Arcane
What is it with those games that nobody can get it right anymore? It's not exactly a complex formula, and people make good new content for old FPS all the time, so what is it?
I don't get it either. I don't expect anything better from nether AAA nor indie hipsters that think (and want everyone else to think the same) how 90s FPS = hordes of enemies and gratuitous violence, but even those that know better fail at making good games. Both Wrack and Rise of the Triad reboot were made by guys that had years of experience with Doom and Duke mapping behind them, an yet both games were subpar and failed at the basics...

lightbane

Arcane
Eh, I wouldn't dish Painkiller and Serious Sam, they at least had excellent atmosphere and a good variety of enemy designs, unlike this crappy trash which has terrible graphics and a really clunky HUD.

Machocruz

Arcane
"Hey, remember how DOOM had like blood and stuff? Then you'll love this!" "Hey, remember rocket jumping?" "Hey, the[insert decade] were cool, weren't they?!" *wink, nudge* It's starting to feel like mental illness to me, the focusing on and obsessing over minutia and relics of nostalgia instead of seeing the big picture of how and why something worked, that permeates so called "geek culture." They are more worried about posing their game as an artifact from 1996 than they are building strong levels or an interesting rogue's gallery. Everything is Kung Fury, basically.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The weapon sounds are wonky. An integral part of fps design in the 90's was sound design for the weapons. Remember Doom's shotgun? Not to mention level design and music that sounded like a soundtrack instead of random noise.

Still getting it though.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The weapon sounds are wonky. An integral part of fps design in the 90's was sound design for the weapons. Remember Doom's shotgun? Not to mention level design and music that sounded like a soundtrack instead of random noise.

Still getting it though.
Enemy death animations/sounds also played a great part. It's something that went away to never return in FPS, now they just go on ragdoll mode and flop around when they die.

tormund

Arcane
Eh, I wouldn't dish Painkiller and Serious Sam, they at least had excellent atmosphere and a good variety of enemy designs, unlike this crappy trash which has terrible graphics and a really clunky HUD.
True, and they had variety of weapons and wide variety of enemy types (that were very different in their behavior, attacks, damage output...). Strafe isn't able to replicate even that, due to limited weapon selection and (judging from what they have shown so far) very limited and unimaginative bestiary.

Machocruz perfectly summed up both this game and the mentality that produced it.

They still ruined it.
They "ruined" it because of shallow idiots that insisted how they were continuation or, even worse, "evolution" of 90s shooters. They were their own thing, and as their own thing they are alright.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane

It's about priorities, level design is way down on the list in today's gaming industry (both AAA and indie) when it comes to FPSes (or FP games in general). It's additional work that is deemed not necessary/obsolete in today's gaming climate. Easier to clutter the screen completely with badly designed gore instead and act like that was the defining feature of the 90s FPS gaming.

AAA industry is all about cinematic, scripted events and linear corridors while indie is mostly filled with hipster trash that aims to be only superficially similar to "old-school" games while lacking all of the ingredients that truly made them great. It's not a faithful addition to the 90s FPS formula, it's a game made for people who were quite simply not part of that gaming era (either toddlers or not even born) and those who were but "outgrew" them, moved on to playing popamole trash and can't be bothered to traverse big, vertically designed levels due to their busy lives (which includs spending 5 hours a day on facebook and/or twitter of course).

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's about priorities, level design is way down on the list in today's gaming industry (both AAA and indie) when it comes to FPSes (or FP games in general). It's additional work that is deemed not necessary/obsolete in today's gaming climate. Easier to clutter the screen completely with badly designed gore instead and act like that was the defining feature of the 90s FPS gaming.

AAA industry is all about cinematic, scripted events and linear corridors while indie is mostly filled with hipster trash that aims to be only superficially similar to "old-school" games while lacking all of the ingredients that truly made them great. It's not a faithful addition to the 90s FPS formula, it's a game made for people who were quite simply not part of that gaming era (either toddlers or not even born) and those who were but "outgrew" them, moved on to playing popamole trash and can't be bothered to traverse big, vertically designed levels due to their busy lives (which includs spending 5 hours a day on facebook and/or twitter of course).

You forgot the obsession everyone has with vast procedurally generated blandness since the success of Minecraft. I can't wait for that trend to die so we might see some people actually thinking about level design as a component of a good game again.

Tehdagah

Arcane
The weapon arsenal looks pretty decent, each weapon having an alt. fire and some movement trick, but it remains to be seen if those movement tricks aren't just gimmicks you will rarely ever use.
These tricks are so useful that you can break nearly any game with them.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Going with randomly generated levels is the stupidest thing ever, those screens have no soul in them. Doom, Quake and of its ilk are all famous for their level design, not some pre generated shit. :argh:

You forgot the obsession everyone has with vast procedurally generated blandness since the success of Minecraft. I can't wait for that trend to die so we might see some people actually thinking about level design as a component of a good game again.

I agree. You know whats sad though? That a lot of the time, randomly generated levels made by a computer have more soul and structure than any modern day 'human' designer. Call me retarded, but Minecraft can vomit out a more unique, interesting, mysterious world than Skyrim and Fagout4. And Im sure Strafe's procedural levels will have more awesome architect and design than Doom4s snapmap bullshit.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
tumblr_o5ywrgS72R1ty4xg7o1_1280.jpg

WHY

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom