Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Street racing game recomendations?

Master

Arbiter
I have to disagree about MW inferiority. Police chases with destructive scenery that's not just for show but has an actual use and the notoriety system tied to it... This more than makes up. Add great maps, graphics that have style and still age well, a story and characters that are frickin hilarious... and you have the best nfs hands down.

deama

Prophet
Wait, are we talking about the 2005 MW or the new one?

mbv123

Arbiter
I honestly didn't mind Carbon. Sure it was just a shorter inferior MW just with a nightime skin but canyon races were intense as fuck

Master

Arbiter
I never got to the canyon:negative:
They fucked up the tracks somehow in that you couldn't see too far ahead. Not because of nighttime it's just how they were made. In MW you could plan stunts, pick routes etc just because you could see further.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I think street racing games could benefit from having a slightly more realistic handling and physics, enough to scare a bit from always going full throttle but still playable on gamepad or KB + Mouse. I still find GRID to be the perfect example how a semi-realistic racing game should feels like. Police chases would be more intense.

In real life street racing are dangerous, so street racing games should show more of those sides, instead of sterile racing and monster energy drinks.

Racing games I think is the one genre that haven't fulfilled its full potential but it seems like all genre today it turns into shit.

On their defense the career progression on NFS: U2 and MW are super fun and I actually enjoyed them.

Also sometimes the vehicle choices are embarrassing. Like Honda Civic or Peugout, at least in Most Wanted when they have VW Golf it's the sports version, but still looks dumb.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I know nothing about the genre but I've played Blur and had more fun that with NFS game which I could never get into.

It doesn't have any cop chases as far as I remember, but according to the wikipedia article, it was pretty well received.

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I think street racing games could benefit from having a slightly more realistic handling and physics, enough to scare a bit from always going full throttle but still playable on gamepad or KB + Mouse. I still find GRID to be the perfect example how a semi-realistic racing game should feels like. Police chases would be more intense.

In real life street racing are dangerous, so street racing games should show more of those sides, instead of sterile racing and monster energy drinks.

Racing games I think is the one genre that haven't fulfilled its full potential but it seems like all genre today it turns into shit.

On their defense the career progression on NFS: U2 and MW are super fun and I actually enjoyed them.

Also sometimes the vehicle choices are embarrassing. Like Honda Civic or Peugout, at least in Most Wanted when they have VW Golf it's the sports version, but still looks dumb.

Santander02

Arcane
Guy compared all of the NFS games of this decade and the 2010 rendition of Hot Pursuit by Criterion (Burnout series) is the best of the bunch according to him, might be worth checking out.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom