Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Strike Suit Zero - arcade space "sim" on Kickstarter

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Some love for Haegemonia. :love:

Since this is not a space sim like Star Citizen, but a arcade stuff, I doubt we will have a detailed damage modell. To bo honest, I don't really care about that in an arcade game. Freespace lacked it and I was okay with that. If the ships will have a decent, detailed control like Freespace, I'll be happy.
He was talking about special effects.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Since this is not a space sim like Star Citizen, but a arcade stuff, I doubt we will have a detailed damage modell. To bo honest, I don't really care about that in an arcade game. Freespace lacked it and I was okay with that. If the ships will have a decent, detailed control like Freespace, I'll be happy.
He was talking about special effects.
Oh, I misunderstood then. Yeah, we could use that.

DraQ

Arcane
And if you don't care about realism or anything, but want to go full space opera, then the best looking 'sploshuns, shields and whatnot in a space game were featured in Haegemonia.

TBH I never realy liked Haegemonia. Gameplay was pretty shit and lacked depth - you had about four different combat units differing only in "weight class", they had subvariants depending on type of weapon used but that mostly depended on which weapon tree you decided to invest in so it didn't really broaden your options.
Then you had cheese like fortifying wormholes with space stations and enjoying fireworks and free scrap whenever enemy tried to warp into the system. Economy mostly boiled down to micromanaging space taxes, maybe some space mining or salvaging so it was meh too. Spying was almost fun.

Apart from that, most ships suffered from typical Sci-Fi design (it doesn't have to even try to make sense as long as it has a cool shape and a lot of cool looking shit sticking out) and everything was hopelessly out of scale, both spatially and temporally - solar systems were the size of closet, ships almost the size of planets, planetary bombardments took almost the same amount of time as increasing population from "barely settled" to "planetwide city", there were fixed plot characters living for countless generations while citizens below multiplied and died like fucking rabbits bacteria and so on.

BUT:

Man, was this game gorgeous. It looked like a fucking space opera movie and not a low budget one either. Shield bubbles flashed and shimmered under weapon fire, ship sections breaking off and blowing up in showers of multicoloured explosions and debris, some projectiles burst right through shields creating circular shockwaves in the bubble, majestic (as long as you didn't move camera around to show the actual scale :M) planets of various types spun slowly below, shrouded with clouds, with lakes and seas reflecting sunlight, or magma oceans glowing through fractured crust. If there was even a tiny bit of a graphics whore in you this game would bring it up to the surface.

Music was pretty monocle too.

tl;dr

Best interactive screensaver ever.

Since this is not a space sim like Star Citizen, but a arcade stuff, I doubt we will have a detailed damage modell.
I think it was more about visual representation of damage than actual damage model.

Take UT3, for example. It has simplistic HP mechanics for both players and vehicles, but when the vehicles get damaged their models get increasingly fucked up.

Of course I like my detailed damage models because they greatly improve the gameplay, so yeah.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And if you don't care about realism or anything, but want to go full space opera, then the best looking 'sploshuns, shields and whatnot in a space game were featured in Haegemonia.

TBH I never realy liked Haegemonia. Gameplay was pretty shit and lacked depth - you had about four different combat units differing only in "weight class", they had subvariants depending on type of weapon used but that mostly depended on which weapon tree you decided to invest in so it didn't really broaden your options.
Then you had cheese like fortifying wormholes with space stations and enjoying fireworks and free scrap whenever enemy tried to warp into the system. Economy mostly boiled down to micromanaging space taxes, maybe some space mining or salvaging so it was meh too. Spying was almost fun.

Apart from that, most ships suffered from typical Sci-Fi design (it doesn't have to even try to make sense as long as it has a cool shape and a lot of cool looking shit sticking out) and everything was hopelessly out of scale, both spatially and temporally - solar systems were the size of closet, ships almost the size of planets, planetary bombardments took almost the same amount of time as increasing population from "barely settled" to "planetwide city", there were fixed plot characters living for countless generations while citizens below multiplied and died like fucking rabbits bacteria and so on.

BUT:

Man, was this game gorgeous. It looked like a fucking space opera movie and not a low budget one either. Shield bubbles flashed and shimmered under weapon fire, ship sections breaking off and blowing up in showers of multicoloured explosions and debris, some projectiles burst right through shields creating circular shockwaves in the bubble, majestic (as long as you didn't move camera around to show the actual scale :M) planets of various types spun slowly below, shrouded with clouds, with lakes and seas reflecting sunlight, or magma oceans glowing through fractured crust. If there was even a tiny bit of a graphics whore in you this game would bring it up to the surface.

Music was pretty monocle too.

tl;dr

Best interactive screensaver ever.

Since this is not a space sim like Star Citizen, but a arcade stuff, I doubt we will have a detailed damage modell.
I think it was more about visual representation of damage than actual damage model.

Take UT3, for example. It has simplistic HP mechanics for both players and vehicles, but when the vehicles get damaged their models get increasingly fucked up.

Of course I like my detailed damage models because they greatly improve the gameplay, so yeah.
Well I'm a little biased because Haegemonia was made in my country, and Hungary is not known for its video game industry (although we had an era when everybody made World War 2 RTSs, and I think those games had a very positive reception). But looking back, Haagemonia could have been much better. But yeah, it looked amazing.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
New Update is up. It is an interview with Paul Ruskay (of Homeworld fame) about music design.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Dammit, I misread the title Strike Slut Zero, and I was expecting something majestic. Now I am disappoint.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
New Update is up. It is an interview with Paul Ruskay (of Homeworld fame) about music design.
I don't need to read it to expect that music will be grorious.

It doesn't say much about the game itself, though.
Well it is a videointeview, you should check it out just to hear some of the music. It will indeed be grorious.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
According to the latest update, the game will be released on Steam on 24th January. But it is also coming to GoG. Can't wait to try it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I have 3 coupons which give you a 25% discount if you buy the game at the dev's store. PM me if you want one.

Edit: Sold out.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Dude, taking apart space-battleships. My boner has pierced the heavens.

bonescraper

So, when a spaceship transforms into a robot in space, what difference does it actually make?

:hmmm:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
So, did anyone buy it? Would you recommend getting it if one wants just to blow some space rubble out of the orbit?

WhiskeyWolf? J_C?

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
So, did anyone buy it? Would you recommend getting it if one wants just to blow some space rubble out of the orbit?

WhiskeyWolf? J_C?
Still one more day to release. Then again we have those fucking time zones, it may already be out somewhere.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member

Mrowak

Arcane

WhiskeyWolf? J_C?
Still one more day to release.

Hmm... I just got notification on Steam that it is available to buy at 20% off. Thought it was there for some time... It doesn't appear to be a pre-purchase.
Fucking wikipedia says 24.01.

Maybe Nippon time :P

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-23-strike-suit-zero-review

Smells like butthurt. I approve.

edit: from the comments

Hullo! Jamin from BRG here, just to address a couple of the points.

Firstly, the game is intentionally tough; we're appealing to space combat fans and they're a notoriously hardy bunch.

It's true that the game comes into it's own once your comfortable with the suit and understand it's strengths and weaknesses in any given situation. Completing latter levels without changing into Strike mode is TOUGH -- you really need to utilise the firepower of the suit.

Game crashes have been eradicated from the game in the days since review code went out, and any graphical slow down has also been sorted (this can now be improved much better in the graphical settings).

Mid-level saves will be included in our first patch post launch, and is something we've taken on board since reviews went out.

If anybody has direct questions or comments -- hit me up. I'm all ears and we'll be constantly updating the game post launch.

Thanks.

edit 2:

"...very often Strike Suit Zero will face you with a challenge that, were the Strike Suit any good, would be achievable..."

-you were clearly expecting single button COD mission progression & to be frank I'm glad to see you & your dog were disappointed. Personally I prefer challenge or failure before achieving success.

On an unrelated but semi-relevant Eurogamer journalism note:

"...server logs show that the Eurogamer reviewer played the game for under three hours, a claim denied by the writer..."

lollerskates

Mrowak

Arcane
I'm downloading it right now from Steam.

Remember to post your impressions. ;)

On an unrelated but semi-relevant Eurogamer journalism note:

"...server logs show that the Eurogamer reviewer played the game for under three hours, a claim denied by the writer..."

lollerskates

Well, if it's Steam we are talking about he could have gone into offline mode...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom