Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Physical stuff.

Update #10

Jun 17 2016

A Closer Look at Our Gifts of Madness

Greetings fellow Arkham residents!

In this update we'd like to give you additional details about some of our gifts and their connection to the game's lore.

Merry Folk from the Stars

Written by the mysterious Edmund Whateley and published by the equally enigmatic publishing house Cultic Press, "Merry Folk from the Stars" caused a wave of hysteria among children across the country. Some see the unholy success that came by the publication of this cursed book as the final nail in the coffin of our society.

caa663f304536a34dbbde22550883bbd_original.jpg

Nothing is known about the book's mysterious author Whateley
Parents all over the country reported hallucinations, aggressive behavior, catatonic trances and even worse symptoms displayed by their children who read the book. Further complicating this dismal situation, Merry Folk could only be the beginning of what is yet to come...

8b12f59ead004c2c2ccd438ef90f6e26_original.jpg

Some say the book has a "hypnotic" quality
There is a unique quest in the game concerning the shadowy author of Merry Folk and theclues you'll learn from the actual book will help you complete it.

Merry Folk Figurines

2f36c062d13f842d863970552d469b53_original.jpg

We're proud of these little rascals and wanted to shed more light on their design process. You can check their detailed 3D models in 360 degrees from the link below:
https://www.behance.net/gallery/38282269/merry-folk-from-the-stars

f0c95086a09a3c43433390b2683a3937_original.jpg

3D designs of our collector figures
Special Edition Game Tome

2971bae2dae7b69ad722a8f556963d62_original.jpg

Some photos of the game tome no.001

From the beginning we had the image of a hand made Necronomicon-like leather game box in our minds for the collector's edition of Stygian. As far as we know, this is a first in video game history. All this magic happens with the experience and the artisan-ship of one person: Master Sebo.

c46afbac5594beb57fa608baf8c001f0_original.jpg

Behold! The re-animator of dead skin is at work.
All the special edition game tomes will be manufactured by the veteran leather worker, Master Sebo. Your tome will be unique to you due to the variations in the leather stocks and the organic nature of the manufacturing process.

And at last; our cultist robe speaks for itself. You may have realized that we're wearing the same robes in our Kickstarter video.

b9a2874100c836a86f63f26bf22478c7_original.jpg

With this robe, you'll get all the attention in esoteric rituals
See you in the next update!

Cthulhu Fhtagn!

Prime Junta

I really dig the children's book. Not one for collecting ... collectibles, so I'll pass on the robe and the leatherbound special edition, but yeah, I am tempted by the Merry Folk.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
These guys keep churning out updates like there is no tomorrow.

Ill probably go insane and increase my pledge tenfold tomorrow, and go for the innocent lunatic level. Just to give that Turkish artisan craftsman and reanimator of dead animal skin, Master Sebo, some more work.

It better not be a faux leather toxic smelling piece of chemical waste btw.

Also, what species of dead animals are used to create this tome of the undead?

Prime Junta

rrrr couldn't resist, bumped it up to 50 € for the Merry Folk book (plus shipping, 21 € is a bit much frankly IMO...)

I never could resist a quirky book with pictures. Hope the production quality is as good as it looks in the pictures...

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Bros these guys keep updating their campaign! Last one was about skills and stuff.

Id copy it here but my tablet isnt cooperating.

2.5k till target and 8 days to go so that shouldnt be a problem (except for the stretchgoals.)

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
PhantasmaNL
Here you go.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1698219403/stygian-a-lovecraftian-computer-rpg/posts/1610037
Skills and Perks of Stygian

Greetings fellow practitioners of the dark arts!

Don't we all love skills in RPGs?

1461799c2781e7dc81de437aad0a1bdb_original.jpg

Skills reflect your choices, aspirations and experiences in Stygian. Different combinations will open different paths to reach your goals. With twelve skills and numerous perks, players will have many opportunities to shape their own fate and face the challenges of Stygian.

Let's have a look at our Skills along with some of their related Perks.

Investigation: The skill of observing one's surroundings; finding clues, hidden items and subtle connections.

Related Perks: Photography, Tracking, Questioning

Occult: The skill of comprehending the unknown; knowledge of the mythos and the other realities. Occult skill is obligatory for casting spells and performing rituals.

Related Perks: Spell-weaving, Ritual Mastery, Sacrifice

Psychology: The skill of sensing the motives of others, knowing the mechanics of the mind and stabilizing one's and others' mental health.

Related Perks: Psychoanalysis, Mental Barrier, Therapy

Speechcraft: The skill of influencing others with words, creating sympathy or fear in them and performing the art of lying.

Related Perks: Manipulation, Intimidation, Seduction

Melee: The skill of hand to hand fighting and close quarters combat with melee weapons.

Related Perks: Martial Artist, Fencing, Exotic Weapons

Firearms: The skill of operating all kinds of firearms from pistols to machine guns.

Related Perks: Gunslinger, Rifle Expert, Special Weaponry

fbfacf0eac1566fc7db2b01775c5acd6_original.gif

A player character using his Investigation skill to learn more about the cause of death of the strange fossilized creature
Science: The skill of understanding the rational world, making inventions, grasping the principles of scientific facts and researching mythos beings to find weaknesses in their metabolisms.

Related Perks: Advanced Autopsy, Great Inventor, Metabolism Expert

Stealth: The skill of not being seen and heard, moving without being detected and eavesdropping.

Related Perks: Vanishing, Silent Running, Assassination

Survival: The skill of withstanding pain and extreme conditions.

Related Perks: Snake Eater, Camping, Sentry

Medicine: The skill of understanding the human body, curing diseases and stabilizing one's and others' physical health.

Related Perks: Xeno-Botany, Drug Expert, Purifier

Athletics: The skill of moving gracefully, dodging attacks and performing athletic manoeuvres.

Related Perks: Escape Artist, Exceptional Reflexes, Daredevil

Subterfuge: The skill of dirty tricks, lock-picking and stealing.

Related Perks: Cheat, Master Thief, Dirty Fighting

d6e1f7b58b378ca6a0d727d0b5d121ae_original.gif

An academic character using his Science skill on a wrecked fire engine to salvage some machine parts
Next Update:

Beauty in Madness: Background Art of Stygian

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also an earlier one: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1698219403/stygian-a-lovecraftian-computer-rpg/posts/1608230

Tunes from the End: The Music of Stygian

Greetings dear listeners of Radio New England,

In this update we'd like to give you more information about the composing process of Stygianalong with sharing some of our haunted melodies with you. Our composer and long time collaborator Asli Kobaner is working tirelessly on making the auditory world of Stygian blend with the other elements of the game, such as visuals and emotional themes.

b5cb4063ca4088167d323169f9c1941d_original.jpg

Stygian's Composer Asli Kobaner

Let's hear her thoughts on the music of Stygian:

"Hi Friends! I'm Asli, a servant of the Sunken Lord just like you.

The music that shall accompany you in your journey in Stygian will hopefully materialize through my humble agency. I'd like to underline the word “humble” since I can define myself as a humble gamer, though an old and avid Lovecraft fan.

In the beginning, when we started brainstorming about the musical essence of Stygian, we extracted some key words: mystery, haunting, occult, desolation, tragedy... Bringing our lonely, forsaken world to life has been and still is a challenging task to fulfill. Those key emotions that will probably help you being immersed by the strange worlds of Lovecraft also led me to explore their musical substitutes: from dense textures to simple melodies, repeating rhythms to droning ambiances, all kinds of functional material. Especially through juxtaposition of these, multiple layers of distinct material, I aim to emphasize the contrast between the different planes of Stygian, different phases of the Stygian experience, thus depict its colorful diversity.

In this journey, I hope to take strength from the legacy of contemporary composers, as well as some cult examples of vintage game music. And of course, from the dark lore of metal that take its strength from our lord Cthulhu!"

You can find a work in progress theme we share just for our backers below.

We'll dance restlessly in the halls of the Sunken Lord.

lightbane

Arcane
I hope the Dreamlands stretch goal wins. That setting has not been used much in gaming if I'm not mistaken. The closest thing we have is the Strange Aeons WAD for Doom.

---

Arcane
The stretch goals (all) seem REALLY interesting, shame that probably they won't be reached :(

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The stretch goals (all) seem REALLY interesting, shame that probably they won't be reached :(

All for the best. I don't think there's been a Kickstarter yet where adding more areas in the initial release did anything to improve the depth of content.

It would be better to develop them as post-release DLC.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All for the best. I don't think there's been a Kickstarter yet where adding more areas in the initial release did anything to improve the depth of content.
It would be better to develop them as post-release DLC.
Can't brofist enough. Personally, I get pissed off when I see these KSes that triple their goals and say, "Great! Now we're going to take an extra five years to add a bunch of stuff" as if a longer wait doesn't reduce the value of my pledge. If you get more money, hire more staff to get the extra stuff done on time.

almondblight

Arcane
Indeed. Part of the problem too is that reaching a stretch goal often means that resources are pulled away from the other parts of the game in order to implement it. So instead of focusing on one location and making it great, you end up with two half-baked locations. It's part of the quantity over quality mentality that leads to developers creating bloated 60 hour games that have 20 hours of content in them.

Hopefully the stretch goals here are just small additions that they don't put much time into developing.

Zombra

Patron
Sheesh, a KS update every day?

Some cool art process stuff.

Update #13

Jun 22 2016

Beauty in Madness: Environment Art of Stygian

Greetings fellow admirers of the macabre!

In this update we'd like to give you more information on the creation process of our environment art along with sharing some images from different stages of production. Our environment artist Elwira Pawlikowska is responsible for breathing life into the eerie landscapes you'll visit in Stygian. Her painstaking, authentic pencil drawing style andbackground in architecture made her the perfect choice for Stygian's backgrounds.

ebc6dd205263d75716e20cab31b1fdc0_original.jpg

Our Environment Artist Elwira Pawlikowska

44f25eb2790a681dd30a28cb9a03bb79_original.jpg

Our creative director Can decided Elwira was the right choice after seeing such illustrations of the artist.

Let's hear Elwira's thoughts on the process:

"Hi there lone fighters against the forces of darkness! I'm Elwira - the environment artist responsible for giving the right shape to the Stygian's settings.

What was needed was a hand drawn 2D world reflecting the mood of Lovecraft's universe, saturated with decay, hopelessness and madness.

The first step was "research" ie becoming familiar with book and newspaper illustrations "from the era" (1920s), analyzing approach to contours, shading and texturing. It also meant browsing through plenty of images related with US industrial districts from the prohibition time and ... photos of extremely weird mushrooms.

f99f627ce62c1376ac5695ecbceb0d22_original.jpg

6a14039d01c9ff50b7b9958a3ba4e4a5_original.jpg

a6250c2ffa3a17f3761fedae21d7bc15_original.jpg

343521564929ed410ddfd15f595a60d9_original.jpg

The next step was making precise pencil drawings of my own designs (buildings, vehicles, plants, environment in general). After scanning them it was time for "digital inking" with a graphic tablet, which enabled the graphic crew to work freely with all the files, but also helped to maintain a retro feel.

da9afe2d6a326bb243e120c34ebba546_original.jpg

e5726a8caca701f5f253a4d6bd559f49_original.jpg

Many visual aspects were already carefully thought out by the game designers from the beginning, however there were still space for my imagination! The best moment was elaborating all the tiny little details of the ruined city, indicating, that something dreadful has happened there. As an architect of education I'm much more accustomed to creating than devastating. Thus creation of devastation for Stygian awoke dormant areas of my consciousness..."

694488717d03623f4d753dd7fc26456e_original.png

It's great to have Elwira on board!
Projects We Like!

Andromeda

02113177163fdffd5feb7b3e98678aa1_original.png

By Andromeda Project
We are fans of Super Metroid here in Cultic Games so when we saw Andromeda and its take on the Metroidvania formula we wanted to share it with you. The game promises a hardcore 8-bit experience in an open galaxy! Draw your DNA-Guns!

706cc12966bead3debcebbfe2169946c_original.gif

Andromeda is on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/metalscale/andromeda-there-is-no-god-up-here-0

Beware the stranger who walked the earth behind a thousand masks.

Elwira, Mistress of the Art.

Nice amount of non-combat skills though I wonder what perks are in this game. They seem to be a subset of skill instead of an extra passive ability or bonus.
The song is quite noice.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A couple of hundred bucks left before it gets funded. They will most likely reach the first stretch goal.

---

Arcane
C'mon, only 500$ :negative:
Maybe you guys are right about the addition of new areas, but I still hope that the Dreamlands goal will be reached with the final pledges :)

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
Funded, congrats Cultic and good luck.

Dunwich would probably a nice stretch goal since it seems more realistic within the time frame (compared to Dreamlands).

Last edited:

---

Arcane
?
They ask 75k for Dreamlands, while 90k for Dunwich:M
Dunwich could be easily added via DLC/expansion, while Dreamlands is a feature that would be nice to have already in the main game :)

Anyway, congrats Cultic Games! :)
Probably the most interesting Kickstarter of this year :)

Last edited:

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
Yeah i noticed this a moment ago...

It just seemed to me that succesfully creating something like Dreamlands would be more of a challenge than a down to earth backwater inbred hellhole like Dunwich.

Apparently Cultic disagrees, well more power to them i guess :)

tormund

Arcane
Congratulations guys!

I hope the Dreamlands stretch goal wins. That setting has not been used much in gaming if I'm not mistaken. The closest thing we have is the Strange Aeons WAD for Doom.

I think that Dreamlands stretch goal is realistic, especially with the funding boost that is bound to happen near the end. It's a p underused background even outside of video games, AFAIK Dreamlands stories from post-Lovecraft authors are next to nonexistent which is p disappointing considering the amount of new mythos fiction that gets released every year...

---

Arcane
At least the Explorer is pretty much sure, an extra class with a specific prologue and exclusive dialogue/combat options is always welcome, especially for replayabillity purposes :M

Prime Junta

New update on portrait art. I think it looks pretty damn rad, several cuts above usual cRPG fare.

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1698219403/stygian-a-lovecraftian-computer-rpg/posts/1613287

Well, it all starts with an idea, a conceptual insight for a character. "An honorable yet beaten man, at the end of his ropes." the dark voices whisper. "A woman, proud and wise, yet she underestimates." Now the voices cackle gleefully. "This one's a naughty one. He's a natural. " The voices hang heavy in my mind.

4c76164beaf031595a6215802c71557f_original.png

I receive many such depictions. After a slight moment of feeling sorry for what the Old Ones might have in store for them, I immediately begin to imagine. I imagine these souls first at their best. I see a heroic nod of assuring stoicism, or a euphoric smile of untainted joy perhaps. Then...well, then I take it all away.

6d8e9b334b5bc1a4d0e0476e317d7df3_original.png

The innocence fades, their dreams vanish, and dwindling hopes of absolution become ash in agonizing cries. Now in my mind's eye I look at these characters again. I carefullly look to see what's left of them, and what precisely made them to go on. Sometimes the answer is quite reassuring, and sometimes... not so much. With a heavy heart then I try to make you witness as well, as far as my humble talents allow me to do so.

(edit: also, funded. Yay!)

Zombra

Patron
Man, these mothers had a plan. They really are going to do an update every day until the end, aren't they? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they had their updates all written in advance before the KS even launched. Great job, Scrawled and Cultic!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom