Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Scrawled

Cultic Games
Developer
Greetings fellow heretics!

It seems we have reached our funding goal! We'll see what the last week will bring but you should know one thing: We've achieved this together! Your support and enthusiasm always motivates us to do the best. Thank you!

Now, does this mean the updates will stop? Of course not! Let's continue with our portrait and concept artist Ege Bilgen and what he'd like to share about his work on Stygian:

Q07TnPy.jpg

qcIYoma.png

A previous work of Ege Bilgen

"Greetings worshippers and fanatics!

Perhaps some of you have noticed that a magnificent twilight is upon us.

Yes, it is indeed the sign of our encroaching doom; a beautiful storm of sweet, all-encompassing sorrow. As the maddening end draws ever nearer, let me express dear fans and supporters, what an honour and pleasure it's been for me, your humble portrait artist Ege Bilgen, to have taken part in this dark journey thus far.

cV541nC.png

All of our portraits are hand drawn by pencil before being scanned for the digital coloring process

That's right, I have been... innocently requested, shall we say, to create character portraits for Stygian (There wasn't any form of dark ritual involved of course, let me assure you). Now you might inquire, how does one exactly proceed with such a task? What kind of process goes into capturing the tragedy of a burdened and afflicted soul?

yBVBmkg.png

Final Version

Well, it all starts with an idea, a conceptual insight for a character. "An honorable yet beaten man, at the end of his ropes." the dark voices whisper. "A woman, proud and wise, yet she underestimates." Now the voices cackle gleefully. "This one's a naughty one. He's a natural. " The voices hang heavy in my mind.

uZthedk.png

I receive many such depictions. After a slight moment of feeling sorry for what the Old Ones might have in store for them, I immediately begin to imagine. I imagine these souls first at their best. I see a heroic nod of assuring stoicism, or a euphoric smile of untainted joy perhaps. Then...well, then I take it all away.

2EgdOdE.png

The innocence fades, their dreams vanish, and dwindling hopes of absolution become ash in agonizing cries. Now in my mind's eye I look at these characters again. I carefullly look to see what's left of them, and what precisely made them to go on. Sometimes the answer is quite reassuring, and sometimes... not so much. With a heavy heart then I try to make you witness as well, as far as my humble talents allow me to do so.

e4Ymdfa.png

A strange and hopeless twilight of madness is upon the world of Stygian, and as the characters there somehow keep fighting on, I tried to imagine them staring right into it. Some of them endured many grave losses which cannot be easily compensated. Some of them found new strengths of frightening darkness and intensity. As the portrait artist of Stygian, I hope I was able to capture and reflect all of this adequately, and you will enjoy what I have created for you, dear supporters."

yEztbuu.png

It's a privilege to have talented Mr. Bilgen on board

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Although I backed Stygian on the first day, I just watched the entirety of the gameplay video for the first time and have to say that your UI-related graphics and sound effects are really good. There's something about the simplicity and stark contrast in palette (UI graphics)/tone (SFX) that really seem fitting, yet distinct enough to let the gamer know what's going on without taking him/her out of the mood. Really good job there :salute:

Scrawled

Cultic Games
Developer
Greetings Denizens of the Doomed Earth!

In this update we'd like to share more information on the advantages and side effects ofMental Conditions in Stygian's challenging combat scenarios.

As we emphasized before, sometimes it helps to be mad in a world gone mad!

1bQa8re.jpg

Mania

Increases Action Points but gives the character a small chance to lose control and attack the nearest enemy unit in combat.

Paranoia

Increases Reaction but gives the character a small chance to attack an ally in combat.

Schizophrenia

Increases Mental Resistance but gives the character a small chance to enter a catatonic state and lose a combat round.

Psychopathy

Increases Critical Chance but gives the character a small chance to lose a certain amount ofSanity after killing a foe.

Depression

Increases Supernatural Defense but gives the character a small chance to lose his Physical Defense bonus entirely for a turn.

Obsession

Slightly increases the success chance of a repeated combat action but gives the character a small chance to automatically repeat a failed combat action until getting a success or passing a High Difficulty Will check.

Please note that all these effects are subject to change and are still being tested.

---

Arcane
60k! This means that we will have the Explorer class in the final game! :kwafuckyeah:
Now I want 75k for the Dreamlands... Do you think that it's a realistic goal?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
60k! This means that we will have the Explorer class in the final game! :kwafuckyeah:
Now I want 75k for the Dreamlands... Do you think that it's a realistic goal?
It'll never happen. 67k tops.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The extra systems Dreamlands would promise scream "8 extra months of development" to me. Glad there doesn't seem much danger in hitting it.

screeg

Arcane
Developer
I'd say there's some "danger" of hitting that stretch goal now, if the next 24 hours are as good as the last.

tormund

Arcane
The extra systems Dreamlands would promise scream "8 extra months of development" to me. Glad there doesn't seem much danger in hitting it.
I'm not so sure about that. It is possible that they had Dreamlands on their mind from the begging, given how party members include both cat from Ulthar and a ghoul (outsider). First one downright begs for Dreamlands specific content, and I imagine latter also including content and story threads related to ghouls from Dreamlands.

That, and the fact that screeg is working on this, and he already has a Dreamlands novel under his belt.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Make Dreamland an expansion.

Edit: also :( about Atatürk airport, hang in there guys

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I thought it had hit the Dreamlands goal already, then I remembered that the goals are in Euros and it's showing me US dollars.

---

Arcane
Fuck, less than 1500$ for Dreamlands!
There are no rich people, here? :( Make me happy:badnews:

Prime Junta

Grats Cultic. Hope you'll still consider Dreamlands, but perhaps as an expansion/Director's Cut rather than as part of the base game.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They'll do what everybody else does and open up for slacker backers and do the stretch goal anyway, more's the pity. Another year of waiting. :(

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Maybe Cultic should take a look at how HBS handles things. Limited and concise stretch goals and a structured roadmap towards a fixed (sort of) release date. These guys DO seem to have a plan but as Zombra noted increasing the scope of the project x-fold since elaborate stretch goals are added is something many KS have underestimated. Anyway congrats on achieving funding. Crunchtime starts now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom