Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Deleted Member 16721

I think the art style is great. However, as I said in the 'Watch thread, I believe the houses are a bit too small compared to the characters. Maybe it's the perspective, I'm not sure.

I look forward to this game even though I know nothing about Lovecraft or his world. If it means fighting weird monsters in a semi-realistic contemporary setting then I'm all for it. :)

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The premise reminds me a bit of Neil Gaiman's A Study in Emerald. I actually liked that story a quite a lot.

Digging the art style. Looks like this could be a v. cool adventure/RPG hybrid. Not sure about the combat, a shotgun isn't much use against eldritch horrors if just seeing a picture of one in some forbidden book will make your face melt.

Dislike Gaiman's writing, loved this story.

Scrawled

Cultic Games
Developer

Here is the Pickman Ghoul from the Stygian bestiary.

eMiZyAI.jpg

http://www.stygianthegame.com

m_s0

Arcane
Cthulhu fisticuffs? :outrage:

I might be able to look past the goofball concept if the game is solid, though.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Interesting, but the narrative concept seems very against what Lovecraft always implied, which is that once the Old Gods came it was all over.

Cadmus

Arcane
The portraits are absolutely amazing, everything is weird and really cool. I'm just so not interested in fighting supposedly scary horror nightmarish monsters in a broad daylight in the middle of the street with numbers popping above their heads. I was sceptical about Hard West too and it turned out the atmosphere was thick as hell so I might be totally wrong. Good luck, it looks promising.

I didn't read everything but I hope to heaven that you're not using the fucking 2AP system.

Space Insect

Arcane
If we have to fight these things, it would be nice if the weaknesses and abilities were phrased more esoterically or if instead of listing the weaknesses, you could have short book like excerpts outlining that. For example, instead of cowardice, you could have something like "Despite their wretched form, these creatures were apt to run if truly threatened." With stuff like that, you could just replace all the lists with a short passage describing their appearance, their weaknesses, and their abilities.

Also, Infinitron, you should give Scrawled a dev tag.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
The wicker Cthulhu statue on a throne is hilarious. Anyways, art is gorgeous, but I'm worried about the combat aspect of the game, although it says in the description ''Physical combat will be scarce and difficult''. I don't know, can the devs confirm it? Hopefully we don't have to run around hitting eldritch abominations with spoons on their heads. What about stealth? Yeah stealth, I know nothing about Lovecraft, but sneaking past horrible monsters feels much more consistent to me than fighting head on creatures that can warp your mind and sanity just by looking at you. What about different approaches to gameplay? Do I have to investigate things and fight spooky squid humanoids? Nothing else? Just investigating and fighting, finding clues and-GASP-fighting again? I hope there are interactions, maybe pockets of survivors here and there, side quests with different possible outcomes and, why not, dialogues with strange entities.

Scrawled

Cultic Games
Developer
We're working on stealth mechanics that do not bypass combat entirely Nameless Pun. If you choose, some of your characters can try to stay hidden while others distract the enemy before escaping the combat scene together. These kind of stealth actions will be based on factors like sight, smell and movement noise as well as stats. For example, due to their beastly nature Pickman Ghouls are more sensitive to sounds and smells than human enemies and have a higher chance of locating you even if your character is in stealth and outside their line of sight. All of these mechanics are being tested but considering the current stage of the development we can not guarantee all of them to be in the final game. About your other concerns including alternate solutions and dialogues with strange entities, we somehow feel that you won't be disappointed :)

The wicker Cthulhu statue on a throne is hilarious. Anyways, art is gorgeous, but I'm worried about the combat aspect of the game, although it says in the description ''Physical combat will be scarce and difficult''. I don't know, can the devs confirm it? Hopefully we don't have to run around hitting eldritch abominations with spoons on their heads. What about stealth? Yeah stealth, I know nothing about Lovecraft, but sneaking past horrible monsters feels much more consistent to me than fighting head on creatures that can warp your mind and sanity just by looking at you. What about different approaches to gameplay? Do I have to investigate things and fight spooky squid humanoids? Nothing else? Just investigating and fighting, finding clues and-GASP-fighting again? I hope there are interactions, maybe pockets of survivors here and there, side quests with different possible outcomes and, why not, dialogues with strange entities.

Scrawled

Cultic Games
Developer
True observation Sser,

The town of Arkham is an exception. With the wake of the Great Old Ones, our fragile planet of Earth dies but somehow Arkham gets stuck in a sort of Limbo between strange dimensions. At the beginning of the game, your character knows nothing about the reason behind this curious phenomenon but will uncover more throughout the main quest line of the game. Think of the Arkham of Stygian like a domain from Ravenloft. Giving more info will be giving spoilers :) Thanks for the feedback!

Interesting, but the narrative concept seems very against what Lovecraft always implied, which is that once the Old Gods came it was all over.

Saduj

Arcane
Game looks great.

Just please don't limit PC to fighting rats because "realism".

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
How does turn order work? I can see little icons on the top of the image, presumably the order of action during battle?

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
One question about the visual:

Why not go for the traditional isometric view? The current top-down grid looks kinda weird.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom