Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Styx: Master of Shadows - Of Orcs & Men stealth spinoff(!)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.cyanide-studio.com/styx

https://af.gog.com/game/styx_master_of_shadows?as=1649904300

Huh: http://www.cyanide-studio.com/news/2014/01/22/

STYX: MASTER OF SHADOWS UNVEILED WITH THE FIRST SCREENSHOTS!

Venture deep in the miles-high Tower of Akenash with Styx, first of all goblins and master in the arts of stealth, theft and assassination!

Study your enemies behavior and the dizzying environment, and carefully prepare your plan of action to achieve your objectives while remaining undetected at all time! This new infiltration game with RPG elements developed for PC is coming this year!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/23/garrett-the-goblin-styx-got-its-fantasy-rpg-in-my-thief/

Credit where credit’s due: Cyanide is a deceptively productive studio, not to mention a rather ambitious one considering the constraints it works under. It might not be the biggest-budget operation, but the French wearer of many hats and waver of many national flags has recently produced a not-entirely-terrible Game of Thrones RPG, Impire, Dungeonbowl, and Of Orcs & Men. The latter, while depressingly flawed, is most relevant here given that Styx: Master of Shadowspresumably takes place in the same world. It stars fleet-footed, dagger-tongued goblin Styx, who is apparently the Very First Of All Goblins. The game will be a mix of extremely vertical stealth and fantasy role-playing, which sounds downright fascinating.

There’s just one problem, and I’ll let Jim’s Of Orcs & Men WIT take it from here: “The game is essentially a series of stealth-then-fight setpieces. This would be fine, except it’s a terrible stealth game.” That, um, doesn’t bode particularly well.

Here’s how Styx: Master of Shadows will work:

“Battle your way to the top of the lofty Tower of Akenash through immense and vertiginous levels that highlight the vertical perspective. You will complete numerous missions with various objectives as you climb up – murder, information recovery, theft of precious artifacts, etc – and gradually reconstruct the puzzle that provides the key to the mystery of your origins. The levels are open and the objectives can be completed in various ways: you are therefore free to choose the best way to proceed and the most suitable strategy to employ to achieve and complete your mission objectives. But remember you’re a Goblin: if your target is twice your size, or more, you’re better off eliminating them silently. And in the back!”

“Styx: Master of Shadows also includes game mechanics right out of RPG, so as you gain experience you will unlock new skills, special and impressive moves and new and lethal weapons in 6 talent trees! You will also acquire extraordinary powers from the Amber flowing from the Source Tree which will help you out of a tight spot, make you invisible to the eyes of your enemies and which you can use to generate ‘disposable’ clones of yourself! Explore every inch of the levels and not only will you uncover clues about your past but also, and more importantly, valuable treasure that you can steal from under the noses and beards of the guards in the Tower of Akenash!”

As ever, Cyanide’s ideas sound well-intentioned and rather unique. Open levels ripe for the stealthing, an interesting physical disadvantage, and a largely vertical game world? Yes please. Unfortunately, it’s strong execution that’s constantly eluded the developer – often by painfully narrow margins – and Of Orcs & Men’s rather lackluster stealth didn’t set a strong precedent for this one.

I really want this to be great, but I know better than to get my hopes up. Whether its due to budget/time constraints or visions they don’t quite have the ability to realize, Cyanide continues to be its own worst poison. I wish them the best and it seems like they’re creeping ever closer to a great RPG, but I will remain ever skeptical.

Styx will be out sometime this year. Does it register as any more than a blip on your magical radar?

Last edited by a moderator:

Borelli

Arcane
Goblin's Creed? Just as i wrote this an idea formed where you simultaneously control 3 goblins from Gobliiins in a modern stealth game and you have to use their diverse skills to solve each challenge.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Cyanide has actually been a surprising provider of smaller scale and lower budget action rpg incline. Slightly interested in this one.

Even when the levels in the screenshots look like lego villages and castles.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
They're taking the piss out of Thiaf with this one, aren't they?

Who's willing to bet that they'll fare better with their stealth game than Eidos Montreal?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Goblin's Creed? Just as i wrote this an idea formed where you simultaneously control 3 goblins from Gobliiins in a modern stealth game and you have to use their diverse skills to solve each challenge.
The lost vikings Goblin edition? That'd be fun.

Athelas

Arcane
so as you gain experience you will unlock new skills, special and impressive moves and new and lethal weapons in 6 talent trees!
Stealth, huh?

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Styx looks freaking cool in that second screenshot. Playing as a sneaky dirty goblin and killing evil humans all game is kinda original. I like it, but Im not a huge fan of stealthy games.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Of Orcs & Men stealth sucked more than Alpha Protolol, let's see what they do with this.
I think that's probably the fault of Spiders, who actually developed the game from what I understand. I haven't played Of Orcs and Men myself, but their other game Mars: War Logs is incompetent in every way. If Spiders isn't involved, you probably don't have as much to fear.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hey, DeepOcean assassinating member of RockPaperShotgun, probably John Walker. Who said games aren't power fantasies after all?:smug:
Common, Styx is a true codexian hero against the oppression of the human retards.

Modron

Arcane
Does Spiders work for peanuts or something? Of Orcs and Men was such a downgrade in quality compared to Cyanide's GoT and yet they have green-lit a sequel to it and this spinoff game. :negative:

laclongquan

Arcane
Marketing fail!

Three reasons:

1. Where is the suggestive human female warriors that our heroes can rape?

2. Where is the suggestive human princess that our heroes can kidnap and/or rape?

3. Where are the tits and asses, period?

The reason some buggers play this type of orc is so they can imagine doing all kind of unspeakable things to tits-and-asses. Where is their motivations?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I am not convinced about this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom