Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Styx: Shards of Darkness - Styx: Master of Shadows sequel

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Goddamn you are stupid. Read before you post.

Ivan

Arcane
no one posted the screen?
01.jpg

Modron

Arcane
Upgrade to the engine they used is a "new engine." :lol:

I was concerned there for a second, I thought they were throwing out everything and starting over.

Hey it's good enough for Bethesda.

BishopOfBattle

Literate
No way Styx has better level design than DXHR and Dishonored. At most they're equivalent in structure but those two have it so much better in everything else.

What? Dishonored has one "master skill" which basically puts the game into easy mode when you max it out: Blink. The game becomes ridiculously easy once you can blink / glitch through most of the content undetected. It's so glitch-ridden it's not funny anymore. And i like Dishonored a lot. Styx is in that regard, much better than Dishonored. The only really good stealth game in recent years was Mark of the Ninja.

That said: I liked Styx and i am happy to have a sequel to a really solid game. Not stellar, but absolutely solid.

BishopOfBattle

Literate
Well you could either argue that the skill is overpowered, or that the level design was not executed with this skill in mind. Blink really heavily depends on the surroundings. Styx really won't win any prize for level design, but Dishonored is definetly not better in this aspect.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I think it was executed with that skill in mind considering the amount of vertical space you have access to. All dishonored special abilities are overpowered as fuck anyway, blink just happens to be the only one that is still useful for someone trying to play a stealth game.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Well you could either argue that the skill is overpowered, or that the level design was not executed with this skill in mind. Blink really heavily depends on the surroundings. Styx really won't win any prize for level design, but Dishonored is definetly not better in this aspect.

What are you even talking about? Dishonored was fully designed with Blink in mind. How could you miss that? You weren't breaking the game or anything by getting two ranks in Blink, devs accounted for that. It's just easy mode.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Dishonored was mediocre at best. They dumbed it down way too much after playtesting it with some retarded monkeys.

Human Revolution has awful level design. Your typical shitty covershooter levels with some vents to crawl through. How excellent. A pure shit game that one.

The fact that those two popamole games are actually looked at positively says a lot about the state stealth games are in these days.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Personally, stealth gameplay-wise I'd rank it like this: Styx > Dishonored (which had better atmosphere and setting, though) >>>>>>>> DX:HR (which was crap).

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Personally, stealth gameplay-wise I'd rank it like this: Styx > Dishonored (which had better atmosphere and setting, though) >>>>>>>> DX:HR (which was crap).

I didn't play Dishonored because of that creepy heart thing.

Styx is nice, but one thing I miss is a non-lethal takedown as a "mid tier" difficulty approach.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The problem with non-lethal takedowns is that they inevitably end up with you (the skilled, Codexian player, not the casual nub) clearing out the entire level without the downside of having to feel like a mass murderer. Lethal only forces you to "ghost" to feel good about yourself, which can be challenging.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Maybe ur standards are p. low. 3rd person camera alone effectively kills stealth games.

Much like Josh Sawyer, I prefer the 3rd person perspective with a rotatable camera.

I also thought both Thiefs had a lot of junk content that brought them down.

Ivan

Arcane
alien world in Thief and the fucking obstacle course finale of 2 come to mind, for me at least.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
1456229833-styx-shards-of-darkness-1.jpg

1456229832-styx-shards-of-darkness-2.jpg

1456229833-styx-shards-of-darkness-3.jpg

New screenshots reveal huge environments of Styx: Shards of Darkness

Styx: Shards of Darkness, the sequel to Cyanide Studios’ infiltration cult classic Master of Shadows, comes to consoles and PC on Unreal Engine 4 in 2016. Styx’s sneaky adventure comes back with new features, new environments, and Unreal Engine 4!

In today's screenshots, we witness Styx prowling through some of the huge environments of the game. From the City of Thieves, built from the wreckages of lost ships, to the great Elven city of Korangar hidden in the mountains, the environments of Styx: Shards of Darkness are enormous and semi-open, with an emphasis on verticality. They allow for a lot of freedom to complete the various missions' objectives. They are fantastic playgrounds for Styx to test his stealth and assassination skills, and try out his new moves such as rope-swinging and zip-lining!

These are just some of the huge open spaces oozing with verticality to explore in Styx’s new infiltration adventure! With new ways to traverse the landscape, a deep and original story, as well as huge new features yet to be revealed, Styx’s 2016 mission will be his biggest yet!

Styx: Shards of Darkness comes 2016 to PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
If those are not industry-standard bullshots the sequel looks really damn good so far.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
From what I played of the first, this my opinion. The art (the stetic of the level) and the level design are this game star's. They are excellent and it's awesome to explore those levels. The atmosphere is also nice. But everything else... The gameplay is mediocre, and that fucking AI (it gave me cancer).

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
despite the flaws, i like styx: masters of shadows. level design was pretty great and so is the core mechanics. if they really have bigger budget this around, shards of darkness might be amazing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom