Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Subnautica: Released (SPOILER WARNING past Post #1)

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Your spawn location seems a bit random though, I've seen some videos of people who had their pod in a different place than mine.
I believe the pod drifts from your starting location until a certain technology anchors it in place. (Without telling you.)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's randomized? I'm pretty sure its fixed, but maybe they moved stuff around since early access. Your spawn location seems a bit random though, I've seen some videos of people who had their pod in a different place than mine.
Forums say it's random.

Might just be the contents of the crates being charged and they stay in the same place though.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
All scannable fragments are randomly placed during each game, but I'm fairly certain the crate contents are always the same.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
If you listen to the radio broadcasts, you just follow the indicator to the crash co-ordinates it notes down. That'll lead you to a lot of fixed-location blueprints and scan-able items. Not to mention you can get a good chunk of stuff between where your lifepod spawns and the Aurora's side hull in the mushroom field with the rays. Then more good stuff in the back of the Aurora. Just like that you have moonpool, seamoth, cyclops. There's some randomization to it all, but it's not THAT random. Most of the guides for the game need updating.

Destroid

Arcane
If you're really desperate for beacons but can't be bothered finding them use your camera drones from the scanning room. I didn't get beacons till I was 20 hours in or so.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Yeah, that 10 whole meters of range does come in handy. Unfortunately I have already scoured much,much further than that around the base, to build the base in the first place.

I'll have to keep using story escape pods and compass directions until I accidentally run across more beacon components.

I actually did not find the beacon fragments until about 35 hours in. Honestly I enjoyed having to keep a mental map in my head, and there were a few times that I spotted a cool new biome, but had to return to base to unload and rest up, and then be unable to find the exact entrance when I tried to come back for it (inevitably running afoul of reapers or warpers as I looked). I can understand why people would dislike it, but it helped make the more unique locations feel like truly mythical, lost depths.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
All scannable fragments are randomly placed during each game, but I'm fairly certain the crate contents are always the same.

The crate contents ARE scannable fragments, WTF are you talking about?

I'm talking about those crates that you have to click on to automatically get an item on the tech tree. Long, flat, thin, emit a light of their own, stretch out when you click on them to reveal a data card, that ring any bells?

I'll admit that I've forgotten what their true name is in-game, but despite that I still see a reason to tell you this for the umpteenth time: Learn. How. To. Read. This is not the first time you fail at reading comprehension, and it won't be the last time I'm afraid.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I'm talking about those crates that you have to click on to automatically get an item on the tech tree. Long, flat, thin, emit a light of their own, stretch out when you click on them to reveal a data card, that ring any bells?

I'll admit that I've forgotten what their true name is in-game, but despite that I still see a reason to tell you this for the umpteenth time: Learn. How. To. Read. This is not the first time you fail at reading comprehension, and it won't be the last time I'm afraid.
Nope, it's just you failing to English as usual then pretending you said something else.

Everyone knows that the crates I'm talking about are the normal ones that are fucking everywhere and have things in them you can scan.

The "nameless insta click" crates you are now suddenly talking about must be very rare as I haven't seen a single one. So why would any normal person assume you are talking about them?

The "nameless insta click" crates you are now suddenly talking about must be very rare as I haven't seen a single one. So why would any normal person assume you are talking about them?

...There's at least one at every crash site. I'm not sure how you could have not encountered them after playing the game for more than, say... 30 minutes.

The crate contents ARE scannable fragments, WTF are you talking about?

Their contents are randomized too afaik. But it's limited random for both types of crates that is tied to the biome type. I.e beacon, glider and other T1 bits are scattered around kelp forrests and shallows. T2 to shrooms and sandy zones etc.

I don't know what to tell you then. You are doing a terrible, terrible job at exploring the wrecks.

Edit: Zarniwoop Here I found you a picture.
latest

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, since the full release came out, I have only been able to find 1 beacon piece.

This game SUCKS if you have no beacons. Seriously, it's the goddamn future, people have spaceships and augmented reality suits but nooooo, adding some kind of navigation system beyond a compass is too much to ask.
Interesting. I found all beacon pieces I needed within 5 minutes of start (or there about).

It is however an issue in the game. A lot of the debris pieces are very localized, so if you miss the two places where they are found, you get to eat shit.
There are at least 5 places where they are, and typically close to something important. Scanner room is more important, and it's much harder to find sufficient number of pieces early. If you don't have beacon, move camera drone into location, or
make scanner room instead of beacon.

I had long beard until I found laser cutter. (Or battery charger. Or Power cell charger, that was nearly impossible.)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I don't know what to tell you then. You are doing a terrible, terrible job at exploring the wrecks.

latest
Oh, the shit INSIDE THE ESCAPE PODS? What kind of lunatic calls those crates?

The crates are obviously the cargo containers scattered around the sea floor, usually near wrecks.

dextermorgan

Arcane
I apologize for interrupting this bickering of women but does anyone know if it's possible for eggs to be infected? I came back to my base after a long expedition only to find my alien containment is almost completely infected. Last thing I put in there before heading out were a couple of Lava Lizard eggs, so either those were infected or an infected fish glitched into the tank somehow and passed the infection to captive species. I think I'll set up a separate hatching tank now, gotta get them Crab Squid young going.

Last edited:

latest

The crates are obviously the cargo containers scattered around the sea floor, usually near wrecks.

Again, if you are only finding them in the escape pods then you are doing a terrible, terrible job at exploring the wrecks, and clearly this game is just not for you. There is at least one in every wreck, and often there are more, to the point that you will quickly begin receiving duplicate blueprints.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Way to resurrect a 2 month old bicker!
rating_brofist.png
Serves me right for hitting a button I guess!

Reason I was looking at the thread, I started a new playthrough a few days ago. When I reformatted my computer recently I lost my saved game (no Steam cloud saves? Jerks!) so about 30 hours of progress gone. Demoralizing, but perhaps a blessing in disguise as all the logs and story beats make a lot more sense this time around. Last time it felt like a bunch of people screaming about crazy stuff, who cares where are the blueprints. This time I feel like I comprehend the story.

And I better understand how the universe works so I notice stuff and take care of things like
repairing the damaged nuclear core of the Aurora so the entire biosphere isn't sterilized by the radiation
missed that last time. Whoops!

This time around, Multipurpose Rooms still seem stupidly rare but I remembered where to find a static one to scan. My big problem has been depth capability - after establishing all the early plot points easily I still had no way to get a vehicle below 200m. Turns out I missed one data box in the weeds near an out-of-the-way wreck. After finding that I jumped instantly to 900m ... now my prob is I can't go any deeper because the RNG that places fragments apparently decided I wouldn't get a Cyclops this game. :argh: Don't worry, I'll keep looking.

I'm starting to feel a little disillusioned about the openness of the world ... the promise of having wreckage scattered around means you can find what you need as long as you keep looking, but it's beginning to feel much more restricted, you have to go here then here then here. "Exploring" is less satisfying when you realize everything off the critical path is meaningless. Oh well, it's still fun.

Heheh, yeah. I had actually typed it out two months ago, but never posted it for some reason. Your brofist reminded me to make sure I not fail my daily bitchiness quotient.

I agree that the world loses some of its lustre once you've explored it once. It's still a great game, and I look forward to see where they take it with DLC.
Regarding the cyclops:

I'm pretty sure you're guaranteed to spawn enough fragments needed to make all three parts in the mushroom forest.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's a game with preset wrecks and areas. Like an adventure game (partly why I compared it to one), once you see how it all fits together, it's not as exciting and mysterious. It's a front-loaded tradeoff. That said, the "critical path" has its tentacles pretty much everywhere, so I really don't see a problem with there being hotspots. You can't make every inch of ground mission-critical.

I find it odd that anyone would have trouble figuring out how to scan fragments and obtain blueprints. The Cyclops is probably the summit of blueprint hunting overall, in that you won't locate all of the pieces quickly unless you really stick your neck out a bit into dangerous areas; later, you'll be sticking your neck out all the time anyway, so stuff that's harder to obtain in absolute sense won't seem as daunting by comparison.

Also, don't forget that you don't need the Multipurpose Room for a functional habitat. The urethra habitat formed from corridors is a viable, if slightly annoying, stand-in until you've got proper rooms available.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

latest

Again, if you are only finding them in the escape pods then you are doing a terrible, terrible job at exploring the wrecks, and clearly this game is just not for you. There is at least one in every wreck, and often there are more, to the point that you will quickly begin receiving duplicate blueprints.

Yes faggot, after months of updates, that is indeed the case.

Well done to replying to ancient posts.

Scanner room behavior also seems to have changed, now if you set it to fragments, it only shows fragments you dont have yet. Which is nice.

I finally found enough beacon fragments (after having a base full of Bulbo trees and a moon pool). Now I'm looking for one last Cyclops bridge fragment. Scoured both mushroom forests and the Dunes (at least the part I can reach above 300m) so the wiki suggests the crash zone. Go to the crash zone and what do I find? A billion beacon fragments. Of course.

latest

Yes faggot, after months of updates, that is indeed the case.

I have not played the game since our previous exchange; it was certainly the case at the time as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom