Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Subnautica: Released (SPOILER WARNING past Post #1)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyone still playing? Picked it up during the sale, game is equally amazing and frustrating. The vibe is just peerless, too bad the texture popping is so bad, altho it might be impossible to make a game like this look seamless for all I know.

My biggest beef is the lack of combat. It's so bad it almost spoils the enjoyment for me. Farming stalker teeth is the dumbest, most infuriating activity in this game. At least the only way I've found is to let them bite my Seamoth and hope in a rare chance of them dropping a tooth. Jesus.

Also when I tried to explore the deepest regions like the lava zone I almost quit and uninstalled since piloting Cyclops is frustrating enough without giant unbeatable monsters constantly harassing you without you being unable to do anything about it, except unreliable and limited measures like decoys. So it's a constant reload fest whenever that dumb leviathan spots you. This game NEEDS combat, badly.

Still having fun tho.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anyone still playing? Picked it up during the sale, game is equally amazing and frustrating. The vibe is just peerless, too bad the texture popping is so bad, altho it might be impossible to make a game like this look seamless for all I know.

My biggest beef is the lack of combat. It's so bad it almost spoils the enjoyment for me. Farming stalker teeth is the dumbest, most infuriating activity in this game. At least the only way I've found is to let them bite my Seamoth and hope in a rare chance of them dropping a tooth. Jesus.

Also when I tried to explore the deepest regions like the lava zone I almost quit and uninstalled since piloting Cyclops is frustrating enough without giant unbeatable monsters constantly harassing you without you being unable to do anything about it, except unreliable and limited measures like decoys. So it's a constant reload fest whenever that dumb leviathan spots you. This game NEEDS combat, badly.

Still having fun tho.
You found 2 of the biggest problems with the game: the absolutely retarded engine (Unity) and the fact that it was made by anti-gun pacifist soyboys who publicly stated they want to avoid combat in the game.

I'd imagine it has to do with the way the game's designed, it's sort of a sandbox with every single toy nailed to the ground, not exactly a recipe for replayability. The first couple of hours are pretty cool though, mostly thanks to the sounds and some semblance of plot that most survival games sorely lack. But as soon as the game can no longer surprise you, it's over, it's becomes one of those 'hit rocks till you get basic ore - so you can craft basic hammer - that allows you to hit advanced ore - from which you can craft advanced hammer..." sort of games, incredibly linear in terms of plot and gameplay advancement.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
To be fair, if stealth is what the game is going for, they should have a more reliable mechanics and decoys. And it should still have combat with improvised weapons, anyway.

Destroid

Arcane

Still having fun tho.
You found 2 of the biggest problems with the game: the absolutely retarded engine (Unity) and the fact that it was made by anti-gun pacifist soyboys who publicly stated they want to avoid combat in the game.

cw8

Cipher
Just completed Subnautica yesterday after 110 hours. Absolutely wonderful experience from start to finish. Exploration and immersion is ace in the game. I have mild thalassophobia but have no problems with most of the biomes except the dark void, vertical drops into nothingness and total darkness is not my thing. The game can range from eerie to absolute beauty in moments. Now I wish someone brought the apex predator to life in a mod or something.

cw8

Cipher

It actually has combat although quite limited to your knife, thermoknife and your Prawn. The ironic thing is that getting killed by guns or harpoons would probably be less painful than getting stabbed and slashed multiple times by the red hot thermoblade while in stasis or by getting drilled alive by your Prawn. That said the Stasis Rifle is probably our best friend against monsters, freezes anything and then you run or kill it. I've tried knifing most hostile creatures in the stasis bubble up to Crabsquids and they all die. Haven't actually tried slow knifing the Reapers or Ghost Leviathans.

As for stalker teeth I just scan for them and pick as I go along.

Cyclops is more of a mobile base. Though they force you to actually use it to reach the lava zones. I happily built a decent sized base in the Tree Cove biome where there are loads of resources and breathtaking beauty (until you realise you can't see the sun there ever and it's quite deep in). It's totally safe with nothing that can actually harm you there. I happily zip my Seamoth through my other Shallows/Red Grass bases and the Tree Cove base quite regularly without using the Cyclops. If I had to use the Cyclops for navigating down the lava zones or the Grand Reef, I use the Sonar upgrade. Cyclops headlights are useless and pulls arggo while the sonar "lights" up the whole terrain, makes it so much easier to navigate especially in the dimmer biomes. Sonar also lights up creatures, so you can see the Leviathan or Sea Dragon from afar. It drinks power however, need spare power cells.

Destroid

Arcane
Use of the Cyclops is not forced, though it is very heavily encouraged, you can use bases and the prawn to go everywhere you need.

cw8

Cipher
Yea, Prawned through Lava Lakes. Doubt the Cyclops can actually fit through and go there.

cw8

Cipher
I actually swam to the Sea Dragon to scan it. Surprisingly I found it to be quite passive. It breathed fire on me once, I evaded and it just swam away. I got swatted once and it swam away. It didn't really go in for the kill. I was actually swimming with it at one point with the glider. I found comfort that it ate Reapers. I hate Reapers, aggressive assholes with that stupid grin tearing up your Seamoth.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nothing wrong with the Cyclops. I took it pretty much everywhere in the late game. Silent running controls, monsters not a problem. Didn't even bother with torpedoes, no need for 'em. lern 2 driev nubes

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also learn to love the dark. Because leaving the interior lights on drains all 6 fusion bats in the time it takes to explore the Aurora.

Learned this the hard way.

cw8

Cipher
I don't think the interior lights drained anything. Plus it's easier to see and navigate without the interior lights distracting you all the time.

Destroid

Arcane
I actually swam to the Sea Dragon to scan it. Surprisingly I found it to be quite passive. It breathed fire on me once, I evaded and it just swam away. I got swatted once and it swam away. It didn't really go in for the kill. I was actually swimming with it at one point with the glider. I found comfort that it ate Reapers. I hate Reapers, aggressive assholes with that stupid grin tearing up your Seamoth.

My one and only death was getting too comfy with the sea dragon and it ate me :(

dextermorgan

Arcane
Heads up to anyone who doesn't own the game yet:

After building a spectacularly large audience with Fornite, Epic is turning its game launcher into a Steam-like store—though one that offers developers a larger revenue share. The first games it's offering are now visible on the Epic Store .

First of all, Subnautica and Super Meat Boy, both great games, are going to be free for a limited time, starting later in December. Obviously, by creating an account, downloading Epic's launcher, and redeeming your free games, you become another person they can try to sell stuff to in the future. But also: free games. We recommend Subnautica big time, and it's normally $25, so it's an outstanding freebie if you enjoy singleplayer survival or alien squid encounters.

https://www.pcgamer.com/subnautica-...nd-its-one-of-our-favorite-games-of-the-year/

dextermorgan

Arcane
So, anyone managed to use mods with Epic version? From what I understand they used to work while you could launch the game by running the executable directly but since a recent Epic update that is no longer possible. I've reached the endgame and am looking to spice it up a bit with some mods but no go so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom