Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Subterrain (Sci-fi RT top-down survival horror) Released

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Game description:
About This Game

In Subterrain you fill the shoes of Dr. West, the apparent lone survivor of the underground city of Mars. Do what you must to fight, survive, escape, or otherwise amongst limited resources and relentless enemies. Your worst enemy will be your own carelessness...

Every decision you make is critical as the world does not wait for you.

SURVIVAL

steamm_format_Survive.jpg

• Struggle against survival needs such as Thirst, Hunger, Sleeping and Pissing.
  • Beware of conditions like Contamination, Bleeding, Fractures, Exhaustion, and Hypothermia.
  • Scavenge and perform research on the items in your inventory to produce medicines and cures.
  • Feel the pain of death due to suffocation.
COMBAT

steamm_format_Combat.jpg

• Fight for your life with melee and ranged weapons.
  • Customize your ranged weapons with modular leveling system.
  • Race against time in this persistent colony infection simulation.
  • Mobs will evolve over time, so destroy them while they are in a cocoon state!
  • Defend the power generator at all cost in the frenzy do or die battle against invasion force.
CRAFT

steamm_format_Craft.jpg

• Produce survival items or your next weapon of mass destruction using 3D printer and Bio combiner.
  • Recycle useless junk items into useful crafting block materials.
  • Create rare ores and veggies through mining and farming. Refine them to extract rare crafting materials.
  • Gain access to the advanced items through research. Create your own lightsaber!
EXPLORE

steamm_format_Explore.jpg

• Explore randomly generated sub levels as well as hand designed levels.
  • Experience location based non-linear story telling.
  • Wonder through open world and make your decision on where to go next.
  • Restore the colony’s habitability by repairing temperature and oxygen generators.
  • Find the clues to escape the horror!

Here is free demo version of Subterrain! If you like to see how the game looks and feels , please try it!

Settings :

It took longer than it really should have but by 2050, humanity has finally colonized Mars. The leader of the effort is an entrepreneur named Jeff Murray. Rather than living on the surface of Mars, People have made their homes underground. The city and all its supporting facilities are buried deep down, safe from the inhospitable climate of the surface.

Dr. West migrated to Mars recently at the personal invitation of Jeff Murray. Dr. West has been working on important research which he had hoped would lead to a cure for the Alzheimer's disease which has afflicted his wife. After an accident in his lab, West has been locked in prison for murder. In a cold, dark cell with no food or water, the survival begins...

ss_a03badb3ca4018c3bd8b1e4748c758b881ba4559.1920x1080.jpg

Colony map. Infection rises as time pass increasing monster spawns.

ss_20542fae0231cc845e59aa996a8ab785e3f0591d.1920x1080.jpg

ss_bdf77763c4c88c76f4b30847d2590a2fbf23f3e6.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Just started playing, pretty good so far, plays like an RPG but it has no character development.
The race against time and darkness is stressful.
Combat is so so, not really an action game.

Non-spoiler tips:
1. Power problems? Take one of the generators from the reactor to research.
2. Repair station is at central control, going up from the train, first door on the right.
3. Bring extra weapon cores.
4. Store items in bags to remove clutter from ground.
5. Tentacled monster(jellyfish?) can open doors.
6. Zoom out view gives better awareness.

Last edited:

Destroid

Arcane
Sounds a lot like Notrium, a really good game.

EDIT: Ok it's not much like Notrium. A lot more scavenging and a lot less fighting.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Tried it. Surprisingly it works in my ancient computer, so automatic :incline: for me. Reminds me of Alien Breed, but with a way more opressive atmosphere. Still, what's up with these days' games that have crafting everywhere?

mixer

Learned
Crafting and player housing are two most overrated features a game can have.

As for this, i like the survival systems and atmosphere but combat is not really my cup of tea.

Demo was okay, might buy.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Sounds like Shadowgrounds but with better atmosphere and better everything (that include combat).

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Not like Shadowgrounds which is more arcade-action but is a bit like Project Zomboid/Survivalist/I Shall Remain/Notrium.

You have to keep track of: Colony Infection, your own infection, thirst, hunger, sleep, your health, your own power/oxygen/temperature, reactor condition(manufacture and replacement), reactor defense, research, manufacture, raw material production, refining of raw materials while scavenging in the dark and bringing items back for recycling and research.

You will be spending a lot of time exploring, going from room to room killing and looting. It is repetitive but because of the reasons above, is not boring to me(yet).

I will be updating my second post in the thread with tips for beginners.
I wish I can store stuff in the train.

Game update:
Release Note : Version 1.0.0.6 25 Jan 2016

- Updated : Started optimising lighting and rendering a bit. It should have some improvement but it was hard to tell for sure. Changed how perception effect is rendered and removed self vision check for the explosion effects. This removes two extra camera rendering at the cost of very small visual impact. However, their cost weren't so great to start off with so it may have very small impact. also found very strange shooting of high cost rendering every seconds or so.. this is fixed. It has to be related to the some weird Unity stuff.

- Fixed : Previous version bug with main menu UI

Last edited:

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Completed 50+ hours.
Fought infestations and didn't get any invasions on normal.
60 floors of shooting and looting, I'm surprised it didn't get boring.

+ Combat fun
+ Atmospheric
+ Race against the clock
+ Resource management
+ Easy-to-use resource/item/crafting system

- Random but repetitive corridors and rooms.

8/10, if it had more variety and features I will give 10/10. But it is cheap indie developer.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tried it for an hour. I don't hate it, but at first glance it seems like a slog. After breaking out of the prison I got to the central hub which looks exactly the same as the prison except with a bunch of machines that don't work yet that I guess I have to find parts for. The goal of the game is to escape, but instead the protag is talking about converting this old building into a huge base for no evident reason. I'd "like to want to" play more but there doesn't seem to be much to look forward to. More depressing corridors, more trash cans to dig through, more zombies to shoot. Is there something I'm not seeing?

Harthwain

Magister
The goal of the game is to escape, but instead the protag is talking about converting this old building into a huge base for no evident reason.
The way I understand it the main goal is to escape Mars (that's my impression after reading the very first note from the demo about the supposed evacuation). Since you can't do that right away it stands to reason the main character wants to set up a base of operations first.

I stumbled upon the game and played the demo. The features do sound very interesting (very in-depth survival aspects, a cone of vision with darkness, infection as a gameplay factor rather than a purely narrative one, etc.), but the demo doesn't really show all that. You get some basic weapons, kill two enemies and... that's it. I couldn't even judge the horror aspect of it, because the whole tutorial takes place in a very well lit part of the base. How it compares in that department to Hellsign, for example?

Is it worth playing the full game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom