Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suddenly, Chrono Trigger is on Steam

From the comments:

Thank You From The NieR:Automata Team
22 MARCH 2017 - DANIELS

Thank you to everyone who has supported NieR:Automata.
We are happy so many are enjoying the game. We wanted to let you know that we appreciate all your feedback and are investigating the issues that have been reported.
Please stay tuned for updates.

Thank you - The NieR:Automata team.

8 MONTHS later--->NO FIX.

SE did you create this vague response pattern to fool the PC playerbase?

539gy8z.png

:dead:

Doktor Best

Arcane

It's so fucking ugly. Why the fuck did they not just give us the original or the PSP version?

I want the gameplay + script of the DS version with the 2d spritework of the PSP version. Its baffling how they can make so many versions of the game and always manage to fuck it up somehow.
DS version is butt ugly, but i would still consider it the best version simply because you cant win this one by spamming a.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
What a shame. These companies have a mountain of incredible legacy material that they can re-release with great fanfarre to gullible weeabo buyers who are willing to shell out infinite shekels

You've answered your question here: gullible weeabo buyers, so there's no need to put any actual effort in the port.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
What a shame. These companies have a mountain of incredible legacy material that they can re-release with great fanfarre to gullible weeabo buyers who are willing to shell out infinite shekels

You've answered your question here: gullible weeabo buyers, so there's no need to put any actual effort in the port.

They only think that way because property devaluation cannot be clearly quantified when it comes to video games because there's so many factors involved. You have to wonder if it's worth it to sour a lot of fans on something if it means diehards or ignorants will buy it instead, and even they may end up disappointed by what they get. This could've been another breath of life given to Chrono Trigger the same way DS version should've been had those new additions not ended up so half-assed.

It's not worth it even for a quick buck because the fans will give it terrible reviews forever. It's currently a 5/10 on Steam, with 165 players (record number 202). It's abysmal.

But I think this took MORE effort than slapping the snes rom in an emulator.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

They only think that way because property devaluation cannot be clearly quantified when it comes to video games because there's so many factors involved. You have to wonder if it's worth it to sour a lot of fans on something if it means diehards or ignorants will buy it instead, and even they may end up disappointed by what they get. This could've been another breath of life given to Chrono Trigger the same way DS version should've been had those new additions not ended up so half-assed.

I think they did a cost/benefit analysis: How much would they get in sales against how much it would cost to copy-pasta the game from mobile, discounting (apparently) any kind of damage done to their brand. So if they don't envisage of selling more CT in the future on any other platform, it would make sense, even if it's a short-term reasoning and the players get shafted (or play a ROM).

Or even more devious: in 3+ years, they release a new version, the best possible re-release, so they can get all the sales (diehards on this one and everyone else on the second re-release).

It's not worth it even for a quick buck because the fans will give it terrible reviews forever. It's currently a 5/10 on Steam, with 165 players (record number 202). It's abysmal.

But I think this took MORE effort than slapping the snes rom in an emulator.

But what is the situation with the emulator? Does it run everywhere without any problem? Can it be redistributed in a commercial project? (of course since I know nothing about emulators, it could be true). It might also be a syndrome of "Not Invented Here", refusing to use anything that wasn't done in-house.

If the cost to use an emulator appears too high to the execs in charge, the port from mobile could seems the best solution.

Jinn

Arcane
Is this worth playing for someone who missed out on the SNES/PSX/DS version?

I can tell from just screenshots and gameplay videos that, no, you should really just play it on and SNES emulator. That's the best way by far. That is unless you have an SNES and the original cartridge.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Is this worth playing for someone who missed out on the SNES/PSX/DS version?

I can tell from just screenshots and gameplay videos that, no, you should really just play it on and SNES emulator. That's the best way by far. That is unless you have an SNES and the original cartridge.

Why's the SNES version better? Looks all pretty much the same to me.

Jinn

Arcane
Why's the SNES version better? Looks all pretty much the same to me.

If it looks the same to you, then go for it. The filters are like what you'd see on a poorly emulated PSX game. You'll still be dealing with horrible mobile UI though.

m_s0

Arcane
well I must admit I have not seen that one.
And that's why they get away with shitty ports - general audiences don't know, notice or care.

Basically, don't depend on corporations for media preservation - that's not why they're there.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Okay, for something's supposedly to be teh best RPG of all time made a half million years ago, bitching about the graphics seems redundant.
There's a distinction to be made between graphics and artwork though. The graphics are better- they improved the resolution in many places. The artwork got butchered though, and if you don't think those tile seams look awful you probably need to see an optometrist. I'm the last person to give a shit about graphics or frame rates or whatever and even I'd pretty much ignore a game that looked that badly made- it speaks volumes about how little care they put into making it.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
7 year old in JRPG language just means "She's pretty hot but there will be no sex scene with her.".

Which is fine ? I guess ?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Patches are coming: http://steamcommunity.com/games/613830/announcements/detail/1652133167148114465

CHRONO TRIGGER – An Update

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all of your feedback, patience and support so far.

We have been working on addressing the issues that you’ve raised, and will be releasing a number of patches over the coming months as we continue to support CHRONO TRIGGER on Steam.

We’re aiming to release the first of these patches in the first half of April, and the biggest change is that it will include an option to switch between the current high-resolution graphics, and the original graphical style of CHRONO TRIGGER.

We’ll post a full list of changes here when the first patch is released. For now, be assured that we’re working very hard on adjusting, updating and supporting CHRONO TRIGGER on Steam.

As CHRONO TRIGGER is going to receive patches over the coming months, we are going to extend the availability of the Limited Edition until:
5PM, April 30th BST / 9AM, April 30th PDT

Thanks again from all of us on the CHRONO TRIGGER team.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The "high resolution" graphics (can't believe they actually used that term) are but one of the many problems this craptastic port has.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom