Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suddenly... Serious Sam 3.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
It was released today. Haven't played it yet, but the major changes involve Sprinting, Reloading, Iron Sights and Melee attacks.

From what I can tell, Sprinting seems to fit the game perfectly, helping loads with getting around the large maps (still don't know if they're talking SS: FE/SE sized maps, or "merely" SS2 sized). Reloading kinda shifts the game more towards "realism shooters" and I'm sure people will have mixed impressions on that.

Iron Sights only seems to be available on some of the guns (it's not like you need them on the cannon) and is useful in the beginning/mid-game, but propably gets useless towards the end.

Melee attacks are brutal "Finish him!"-esque attacks that totally gut one creature, but leaving you vulnerable to attacks from everyone else. They're not 3rd-person "Hold everything while I rip this guy's throat out!"-animations, either. First-person all the way.

But the biggest complaint so far is the price. $40 for a Serious Sam game is steep.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'd say $40 is fairly reasonable in keeping with the series relative low price compared to the competition. The last ones were released... ten years ago?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I DONT TRUST MANY PCTARDS TO HAVE THE BRIANS TO ACCURATELY DESCRIBE OR REVIEW THE GAME

SEEING HAS HOW THERE MARKETING SAYS NO COVER NO HOMO LOLLOLOLOL SOME BROS MIGHT DROOL LIKE A PCTARD WITH BARELY PLAYING THE GAME

IF HOWEVER A BRO IS IN AN EDGY MOOD AND SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT IS CHANGED LIKE SAMS HAIRSTYLE IF HE SHAVED HIS HEAD THAT WOULD RUIN IT FOR LOTS OF PCTARDS EXPECTING THE EXACT SAME GAME CAUSE THE HAIRSTYLE OF THE PROTAGONIST IS A VERY IMPORTANT PART OF THE PACKAGE SERIOUS SAMS COMIC ATMOSPHERE REQUIRES HAIR

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I saw the first part of a playthtough and the start looks p. shitty, hopefully it gets better later on. Fucking forced tutorials.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
There's no forced tutorial. No tutorial at all. They drop you right in. I'm 2 maps in. First weapon you find is a sledgehammer.

Fast, Quake-ish movement. Circle strafing. Hip firing. Plays like something from the early 2000s.

Nobbad so far. First map is a bit visually bland though.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO WHAT IS SAMS HAIRSTYLE THAT IS WHAT I AM WAITING FOR

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
phanboy_iv said:
There's no forced tutorial. No tutorial at all. They drop you right in. I'm 2 maps in. First weapon you find is a sledgehammer.
It looked like a tutorial. Dude ran around with a sledgehammer for like 8 minutes, with monsters spawned one by one, then he got a pistol and monsters finally started to spawn more frequently.

Did you get the good weapons already?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
754452-TS64P4Z.jpg

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO THANKS I SAW THE DEMO THIS IS OLD SCHOOL GAMING AT ITS BEST NO CONSOLE POPAMOLE SHIT HERE

Angthoron

Arcane
Played for a few hours today, starts out like a "Generic Shooter #110004" but very quickly turns to what is more or less the classic Serious gameplay. Playing on Normal difficulty (3rd out of 6) and it's not a walk in the park, as fucking up even slightly will put you at a disadvantage right quick.

Gunplay's pretty good, sights are essentially pointless except at times you need to snipe and have no sniper rifle yet, shotguns are useful, pistol has infinite ammo, melee attacks are cheats, although I'd not recommend meleeing a crowd of little spiders.

Also, harpies have high-def nipples. Unless you're in Germany I guess.

Seems pretty good so far, in any case.

Johnny the Mule

Educated
^ Get your stereotypes right, cockmongler.

edit

Why is the good shit not in the Inventory yet?!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Angthoron said:

Germany censors violence (although recently our censorship has gone softer) but is totally okay with tits.

What is always censored in German games, though, are swastikas in WW2 games. BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SEE EVIL NAZI SYMBOLS EVEN IF THEY'RE ONLY USED BY THE PLAYER'S ENEMY HERP DERP DERP DERP WE MUST CENSOR NAZI STUFF DURRRRRRRRRRRR

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Friend of mine who bought it said the first couple of levels are deceptive in that they feel more like a modern shooter. Things open up and get chaotic around the third or so level.

Angthoron

Arcane
Metro said:
Friend of mine who bought it said the first couple of levels are deceptive in that they feel more like a modern shooter. Things open up and get chaotic around the third or so level.

Yeah, that's pretty much the case. First level or so is basically a tutorial of sorts, for the "modern player" where SUDDENLY you lose most of your health and armor and omg wat it doesn't replenish in 10 seconds.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You know, I was waiting for crack till this day to demo it first, just in case. Then I got tired of waiting and decided to fuck all and order it.

Then I noticed the potatoland release for this game is january 2012...

HNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Black

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Angthoron said:

Germany censors violence (although recently our censorship has gone softer) but is totally okay with tits.

What is always censored in German games, though, are swastikas in WW2 games. BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SEE EVIL NAZI SYMBOLS EVEN IF THEY'RE ONLY USED BY THE PLAYER'S ENEMY HERP DERP DERP DERP WE MUST CENSOR NAZI STUFF DURRRRRRRRRRRR

Maybe they're afraid your inner Hitlors will awaken.

The_Pope

Scholar
It's like going back to before the decline of FPSs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom