Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suddenly... Serious Sam 3.

curry

Arcane
Serious Sam 3 has SWEET SOUNDTRACK so check it out if you're into good soundtracks but don't feel like playing a popamole FPS.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I finally got SS3 and have been playing it for a few days.

In terms of gaming, SS3 saved 2011 from being a completely shit year. If you enjoyed the older Serious Sam games, get this one.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Curry here says it's popamole. Or is it actually SS? Just played the SE with a friend on a LAN, played about nine hours straight. Is this curry guy full of shit and just dishing out tired old memes without understanding them?

It's definitely no popamole. Just finished 6th level. Playing on Hard, because I'm such a pussy I could never bring myself to beat SS game on Serious in singleplayer. First few levels are slower, yes, but shit just keeps escalating. It's a Serious Sam game, no doubt about that. Small changes though, some I like, some don't. Hate reloading and battledust efffect, but they do make things harder. Love sprinting, finally I have a chance of running away from these headless kamikazes when cornered. Don't listen to bullshit about Sam's base speed being lowered either, he moves at the same speed like always. Of course, Skyway is going to show a clip from a single level where Sam's speed has been lowered and that's all the proof he needs that game is shit, but otherwise Sam moves just the same as always. I didn't forget anything either, The Second Encounter is always installed on my PC. Needless to say, I'm having a blast with this. Runs great and looks good too on my mid-end PC.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Just finished it. Points of interest:

# One problem with earlier SSam games was that "completed" parts of a level were almost always locked off behind you so you couldn't backtrack to get health or ammo. While it's still there, it's far less frequent.

# Sprinting is a cool feature, melee attacks are only useful in a handful of situations, iron sights are pointless and reloading REALLY makes this game tense in parts.

# The "Space Monkeys" are so annoying that they slow down the pace of the game to a crawl. Fortunately you can just run past them almost every time you encounter them.

# The Witch Brides are THE most annoying SSam enemy ever. Dealing with just one is managable, fighting one + other enemies is crazy, fighting two or more of them is suicide.

# Sam's movement speed IS lowered, but only in dark areas. It's noticeable in some areas where he's outside then goes inside and the light turns on, he walks slower. (Wouldn't you do the same?)

# It took me far too many tries to even figure out how to kill the final boss. Even with NETRISCA's clues about his weak spots. But once I figured it out, I pulled it off on the second try.

# The first levels are fucking BORING. You have to trek through four levels of Medal of Duty wannabe-crap to get to the real SSam gameplay? WTF? That's one third of the game, which makes this game stupidly short in comparison to every other SSam game released.

# Overall, it's just below FE in terms of quality and gameplay, but still miles ahead of SSam II. SE still holds the crown, though.

BTW, interesting rumour I heard... Serious Sam: The Next Encounter (the console-only SSam game released after SE) is being converted to the Serious Engine 3.5 and will be released on Steam in 2012. The rumour even suggested that it may be a free add-on campaign for SSam 3, but I seriously doubt that'll happen.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Yeah, there's something about that SE, I just played it through eight or nine hours with two different people in the last couple of months. One of them is in his fifties and never knew how to use email untill last year. Now I'm installing Half Life 1 for him (I was torn between that and doom). His second game is going to be NOLF2.

Anyways, I think I'll buy it. Strange how id didn't get my money this time, I went with DXHR and now this. Zenimax can sell me the super-duper GOTY with all the Expansions when they finish patching it next yera edition for ten bucks, cash.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter

Yep, I'd agree with most of that.

Also...

# The first levels are fucking BORING. You have to trek through four levels of Medal of Duty wannabe-crap to get to the real SSam gameplay? WTF? That's one third of the game, which makes this game stupidly short in comparison to every other SSam game released.

Probably to ease the newer generation into the game. Disappointing.

# Overall, it's just below FE in terms of quality and gameplay, but still miles ahead of SSam II. SE still holds the crown, though.

Yes, SE is still the definitive SS - as you say, if there was just a bit more gameplay past the first 4 levels, SS3 could have taken the crown - still the best (i.e. most balls-out fun) shooter in years though.

BTW, interesting rumour I heard... Serious Sam: The Next Encounter (the console-only SSam game released after SE) is being converted to the Serious Engine 3.5 and will be released on Steam in 2012. The rumour even suggested that it may be a free add-on campaign for SSam 3, but I seriously doubt that'll happen.

Yep, I read this too - I think it's more than just a rumour - can't wait.

Yeah, there's something about that SE, I just played it through eight or nine hours with two different people in the last couple of months. One of them is in his fifties and never knew how to use email untill last year. Now I'm installing Half Life 1 for him (I was torn between that and doom). His second game is going to be NOLF2.

Hey, I'm in my 50's - what's so unusual about.... (well, I suppose it is). Been in I.T. for 30 yrs and playing video games since the 70's so yeah, I know how to use email too. :obviously:

Man I'd love to see HD remakes of NOLF & NOLF2, two more classic FPS (especially the second). :thumbsup:

Zero Punctuation review of SS3
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/5184-Serious-Sam-3-BFE
Ugh... "We need more old school shooters LOL THIS IS JUST SS WITH NEW ENGINE TRY HARDER CROTEAM"

One problem with earlier SSam games was that "completed" parts of a level were almost always locked off behind you so you couldn't backtrack to get health or ammo. While it's still there, it's far less frequent.
Hahaha, who the fuck runs all the way back to pick up a medkit or ammo, there are tons of those on every level to kill everything. You are playing SS wrong boy.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
One problem with earlier SSam games was that "completed" parts of a level were almost always locked off behind you so you couldn't backtrack to get health or ammo. While it's still there, it's far less frequent.
Hahaha, who the fuck runs all the way back to pick up a medkit or ammo, there are tons of those on every level to kill everything. You are playing SS wrong boy.

The final level disagrees with you. 1700+ enemies will drain your ammo supply.

Normally you are right, but in this case...

hoopy

Savant
I stopped after the museum and haven't played since. It's so goddamn boring and badly designed. Yeah, I hear the later levels are better but I just lost interest. Maybe I'll pick it up again some day.

Weeeell, you said "with earlier SSam games", and now you talking only about last level, so...
My main point, is that most of the time there are always supplies after or before a fight, so you can just move forward without worrying. Just relax and concentrate on pure action. This = MAX FUN. Know your arsenal and know how to use it. No cover, all mang.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is there a proper crack for this game? M:
The acquired version I have runs fine, no fuck ups. Got it from BitGamer. It's a direct play version but runs fine. I'm with AlaCarcuss regarding it being the best pure shooter in years so I'll end up buying it which I haven't considered doing so for a FPS since 2006.

Man I'd love to see HD remakes of NOLF & NOLF2, two more classic FPS (especially the second). :thumbsup:

They don't really need HD remakes though, just like SS didn't really need them but would be nice. I disagree with the second one being better than the first though: the respawning enemies made stealth almost impossible and it was ridiculous how if you tried to go non lethal, the enemies would wake up and materialize a weapon even if you disarmed them(yeah I felt guilty about killing the ninjas with their love charms and letters from parents and pictures of babies, and the poor Russians) and wanted to use my non-lethal weaponry and stealth skills on them, but it was pointless. The first had less backtracking and more interesting and varied locations and gameplay. Both were great though.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I stopped after the museum and haven't played since. It's so goddamn boring and badly designed. Yeah, I hear the later levels are better but I just lost interest. Maybe I'll pick it up again some day.

The difference between the first few levels and what comes after is night and day. The final level, with only a hint of exaggeration, consists of your entire screen sprinting towards you. Once you get past the very disappointing initial levels, the game becomes worth the purchase: when compared to the other first person shooters in the past few years.

However, even after the game picks up, some of the levels that are in ruins do legitimately suck. The lowered speed and the high frequency of demon baboons make a noticeable impact on the overall quality of the gameplay.

However, even after the game picks up, some of the levels that are in ruins do legitimately suck. The lowered speed and the high frequency of demon baboons make a noticeable impact on the overall quality of the gameplay.

Yes, those sections are stupid addition, as are Space Monkeys. Good thing these things don't last long and you can just run past them stupid monkeys most of the time.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Weeeell, you said "with earlier SSam games", and now you talking only about last level, so...
My main point, is that most of the time there are always supplies after or before a fight, so you can just move forward without worrying. Just relax and concentrate on pure action. This = MAX FUN. Know your arsenal and know how to use it. No cover, all mang.

If it makes you feel any better, it also applies to the final level of SSam: SE, for pretty much the same reason.

But yeah, it is the norm for SSam games to give you tons of ammo before big fights, and sometimes even during and after them as well.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Space monkeys are funky when you do coop with unlimited ammo. You just demolish every single pillar, everywhere, and suddenly space monkeys are no longer a problem :thumbsup:

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
I'm gonna wait for a working version or till it will go below 10$ M:

Multi-headed Cow

My feelings on Serious Sam 3 over the course of a half hour over IM.

Like be beginning is way too slow for a Serious Sam. First level gave me a pistol and hammer
First level in First Encounter gives you a shotgun almost immediately, and you CAN get a rocket launcher
And I think tommy gun? That might've been level 2
Also I dunno what the fuck they did to their engine between the HD remakes and Serious Sam 3, but it looks uglier and runs worse.
It's still an FPS with secrets in the levels and lots of baddies to shoot and the headless kamikazis make me go :3 though
I'd probably look less favorably on it if there was more competition for decent run and gun FPS, but there pretty much isn't.

Then roughly a half hour passes:

Got a shotgun
Game's a bit better because of it
Game also has functioning mirrors and if you shoot enemies near a wall, blood splatters the wall and drips down. DUKE NUKEM 3D LEVEL TECHNOLOGY THAT IS NO LONGER IN ANY VIDEO GAMES
Go through a few rooms loaded with health armor and ammo
Drop down in to arena
Big monster enters, metal begins playing, health meter appears
YOU KNOW WHAT
THIS GAME IS ALRIGHT
It's a giant scorpion. You kill it and Sam says "Oh that's gotta sting"
Yes
YES
YESSSSSSSSSS

UserNamer

Cipher
I fucking loved this game. Sprinting and ironsights are well implemented in the classic formula, I do think reloading is a little bit slow comparing to how over the top serious sam is- he can sprint faster than the doom guy without getting tired, perform heart removal surgery bare handed in a blink of an eye, yet he reloads as quickly as the average call of duty protagonist.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Protip: The very first secret you unlock in Serious Sam 3 (and also one of the weirdest to unlock, and that's saying something) nets you a shotgun.

You can get the Laser Gun on Level 2, and explosives on Level 3.

I also just noticed something disappointing about SSam3: You can't see the eyes of any humans. Everyone wears shades.

The best Serious Sam line in this game is when he finishes off the mini-boss on Level 9.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom