Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suggestion: "Go to first unread" button straight from forum index

Hi guys! I'm the Brazilian Slaughter!

And today I'm going to suggest something: A button to go to the first unread message in a topic that's showing on the forum index.

Yeah, its a pretty small thing, but sometimes you see a cool thread, but don't wanna have to waste time (and bandwidth) entering the forum and THEN clicking to read first unread.

Random

Arcane
Patron
This is the new height of laziness.

Gaze upon its splendor.

Next someone will ask for a button that produces a thousand randomized posts extolling the evils of popamole for instant Kodex Kool Kredits.

We'll call it the Awesome Button.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Hi guys! I'm the Brazilian Slaughter!

And today I'm going to suggest something: A button to go to the first unread message in a topic that's showing on the forum index.

Yeah, its a pretty small thing, but sometimes you see a cool thread, but don't wanna have to waste time (and bandwidth) entering the forum and THEN clicking to read first unread.

You mean something like a
folder_new.gif
button with the "Go to first unread message" text displaying on mouseover, placed to the left of the thread title?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Exactly. I'd prefer if clicking on the portraits on the thread (ours too if there) would search/display on a popup from posts of the op or ours on the thread instead of going to the profile as usual.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I'm not sure why XF doesn't go to last post on the forum index by default... vB actually has two options, go to first unread post and go to last post. This should be fairly easy to add. You don't even need an icon to indicate going to first unread, since it'll go to the start of the thread like now if you haven't entered it before anyway.

Syl

Cipher
I don't get it, this button is redundant. When I have unread messages in a thread, the title is in bold and already has the "/unread" at the end of the link. :?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Latest: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter...
FeelTheRads, Today at 11:23 AM​

Hmm... The way it works is it's linking to the last post in the forum - not the thread. So the "unread" thing doesn't work there.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It's an issue of having the link to the thread though - all I seem to have access to at that point is the last post details, short of modding XF to get that data out.

laclongquan

Arcane
What's wrong with Ctrol +Left click on the tittle of the thread? That's the "start from the first unread post since your last visit".

It's on Chrome,mind you. I havent checked if it's the same function in Firefox.

In support here. I planned to make a similar thread since forever but was too :kwan: to do so. Clicking the "latest" from the forum section should automatically get you to first unread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom