Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suggestion: lulz button

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, 3/4 of the ratings have been disabled. That's a nice start, now, please continue. We only need a Brofist, and a disagree one.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn, guys, you are retarded. We are pointing out the flaws of the system by abusing it.

There is nothing wrong with brofists (although whether they are really necessary is a matter of debate). They are the ONLY necessary acknowlegments because there is simply no point to make a reply that says "I agree with you, well said". All the negative "achievements" are better expressed through arguments by replying to the thread, therefore they are unnecessary.

People think before brofisting because it is a positive acknowledgement; however, given the level of assholery present on the Codex negative acknowledgements will become abused sooner or later. It's always tempting to shout "you suck", even more so when there is a statistic of positive/negative acknowledgements.
I don't agree with the concept that negative acknowledgements are useless. Just like it's superfluous to just post "I agree with you, well said", it's superfluous to post "I don't agree with you, but we're still civil" or to post "I don't agree with you, and you're beyond reasoning with so I'll just consider you a retard and get on with my life" (which is the way it usually goes with HHR, Lyric Suite and other GD superstars).
What's this gonna lead to is ratings fight to the death in /pol/ between the WWDS and the dark pink forces of Multikult.

canakin

Cipher
:informative: could be useful too. You would know if that wall of text is an autism fueled trolling attempt or a genuine attempt to help people.

Revenant

I don't agree with the concept that negative acknowledgements are useless. Just like it's superfluous to just post "I agree with you, well said", it's superfluous to post "I don't agree with you, but we're still civil" or to post "I don't agree with you, and you're beyond reasoning with so I'll just consider you a retard and get on with my life" (which is the way it usually goes with HHR, Lyric Suite and other GD superstars).
You are arguably only right in the last case - i.e., discussing with total retards. "Civil disagreement" must have reasons, thus should be expressed in arguments if the participant of the discussion bothers to acknowledge a statement at all. After arguments fail (when discussing retards and trolls), it is better, in my opinion, simply to ignore the participant of the discussion. Any educated participant will understand this as a "retard" acknowledgement.

What's this gonna lead to is ratings fight to the death in /pol/ between the WWDS and the dark pink forces of Multikult.
And this, this, this.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Damn, guys, you are retarded. We are pointing out the flaws of the system by abusing it.

There is nothing wrong with brofists (although whether they are really necessary is a matter of debate). They are the ONLY necessary acknowlegments because there is simply no point to make a reply that says "I agree with you, well said". All the negative "achievements" are better expressed through arguments by replying to the thread, therefore they are unnecessary.

People think before brofisting because it is a positive acknowledgement; however, given the level of assholery present on the Codex negative acknowledgements will become abused sooner or later. It's always tempting to shout "you suck", even more so when there is a statistic of positive/negative acknowledgements.
I keep wondering how the fight to the death in /pol/ between the WWDS and the dark pink forces of Multikult still hasn't resulted in the buying of plane tickets and real-life fight club encounters. But there's always tomorrow...:D

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I keep wondering how the fight to the death in /pol/ between the WWDS and the dark pink forces of Multikult still hasn't resulted in the buying of plane tickets and real-life fight club encounters. But there's always tomorrow...:D

Somebody should make a fighting game of it: Plane Tickets, Bitch: 21st Century Retard Combat

Edit: Or you could pay two homeless guys to fight and record it all on your mobile, same difference

skuphundaku

Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You are arguably only right in the last case - i.e., discussing with total retards. "Civil disagreement" must have reasons, thus should be expressed in arguments if the participant of the discussion bothers to acknowledge a statement at all. After arguments fail (when discussing retards and trolls), it is better, in my opinion, simply to ignore the participant of the discussion. Any educated participant will understand this as a "retard" acknowledgement.
For example, I used the "disagree" button on your original post and I wrote why I disagree. Maybe someone else is bored, or in a hurry or for whatever other reason also disagrees but doesn't want/can't write a post in which to explain why s/he disagrees with you. In my opinion, that's a good use case for the civil disagree button.

skuphundaku

Patron

Somebody should make a fighting game of it: Plane Tickets, Bitch: 21st Century Retard Combat

Edit: Or you could pay two homeless guys to fight and record it all on your mobile, same difference
This is a situation when the ability to select multiple ratings would have been welcome because I would have selected "lulz", on top of the "agree" rating.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
5wwmp.png

Revenant

For example, I used the "disagree" button on your original post and I wrote why I disagree. Maybe someone else is bored, or in a hurry or for whatever other reason also disagrees but doesn't want/can't write a post in which to explain why s/he disagrees with you. In my opinion, that's a good use case for the civil disagree button.
If you pointed out why you disaggree AND clicked the negative acknowledgement, you were superfluous and thus increased the noise/signal ratio in the forum. Besides, there is still a big issue of negative acknowledgements being open to abuse. You can bombard your personal enemy with "retarded"s and make him look like a joke, but it is impossible to achieve this by using brofists alone.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The reduced amount of ratings is even more pointless. What exactly is the diffference between brofist, thank you, and agree? They're not different enough to warrant three different ratings. Why not just remove all of them and only leave the brofist?

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
This discussion is wavering dangerously into newspeak theory.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, 3/4 of the ratings have been disabled. That's a nice start, now, please continue. We only need a Brofist, and a disagree one.

I'm with Revenant and I guess The Brazilian Slaughter in that only brofist was ok. It reinforces acknowledgement and respect or appreciation of a post without the need for half a dozen or more one word posts like "cool" or "I agree". It actually helps in the flow of a conversation and apart from the few instances of brofist farming for lulz at the start has worked out well. Negative ratings just tend to be taken up by trolls to tag ideological and gameological enemies without sensible learned rebuttal or debate.

Fuck all that shit off and reset the negative ratings I say.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist

Fully agree with this, the new system will lower (cough) the quality of discussions.
Like a real man, I'd rather have a reply like "FUCK YOU RETARD DIE I HATE YOU" than a lame icon with attached number.

skuphundaku

Patron
If you pointed out why you disaggree AND clicked the negative acknowledgement, you were superfluous and thus increased the noise/signal ratio in the forum. Besides, there is still a big issue of negative acknowledgements being open to abuse. You can bombard your personal enemy with "retarded"s and make him look like a joke, but it is impossible to achieve this by using brofists alone.
"disagree" is listed a neutral rating, "retarded" is negative.

As for abuse, that cuts both ways, especially when dealing with the spill out coming from GD. Having negative ratings gives you an easy way of calling out retardation.

skuphundaku

Patron
The reduced amount of ratings is even more pointless. What exactly is the diffference between brofist, thank you, and agree? They're not different enough to warrant three different ratings. Why not just remove all of them and only leave the brofist?
brofist: I agree with you so much that we're almost in a bromance
agree: I agree with you, but that doesn't makes us bros
thank you: This is an useful piece of information. Thank you for providing me with this piece of information

Revenant

"disagree" is listed a neutral rating, "retarded" is negative.
Now think for a minute what exactly is a neutral rating. You acknowledge being neutral to a statement. If this isn't unnecessary information, I don't know what is.

As for abuse, that cuts both ways, especially when dealing with the spill out coming from GD. Having negative ratings gives you an easy way of calling out retardation.
Now that's exactly why negative ratings are that bad. By looking at someone's profile you will be able to judge "hmm, this guy has a lot of negative ratings, I bet he's a dumbfuck that doesn't know shit about RPGs". And it won't matter that these ratings were obtained in political discussion by ideologically motivated opponents.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Agree / Disagree can be used for within post voting. (Vote agree if you want to take option A, B if you disagree) or are far more "considered" than the "HIGH-FIVE MAN" nature of the brofist. Agree & Disagree are both neutral.

I agree with you on thanks. That was designed to replace the string of "helpful", "informative" but meh, we have brofist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom