Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Sui Generis + Exanima Early Access

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, looking forward to taking those things down.

And woah, there's a magic sword?

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
The update is very cool.
Shield skills are awesome, dualwielding is surprisingly tough (to fight) and The Beast matches in the arena are insane. I recommend doing the Expert+ ones, because lower levels are practically a death sentence for at least one character.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm getting slaughtered by the golems, had to start over from the portal entrance, after defeating Sir and all level 4 to boot. Any hints where the find the tokens?

Does this have a fully feature campaign yet?
It's coming along, though nowhere near complete. About 33% of the areas are released at the moment. I speculate that the other areas will come out a lot faster as soon as they finalise the magic system introduction, as that's apparently holding back the map updates at the moment.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
With new update shield bearing enemies got really difficult to fight. Ogre battles are indeed very very hard. There's also quite a lot of new items in the shop. No work on the story mode in this patch.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Hmm, I can't equip two weapons on my pre-existing character for some reason. She does have the skill, but it won't equip the second weapon.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I so want a full fledged RPG in this engine, with companions and everything. Only a few years left eh? ;)

Modron

Arcane
I so want a full fledged RPG in this engine, with companions and everything. Only a few years left eh? ;)
I can just imagine companions swinging halberds around knocking your ass down left and right, would make Ian seem kind.

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
They have their hearts in the right place but I can't be the only one to think that this will lead them nowhere? 3 years later and all they have to show for is an engine demo, the small amount of funding they got and the pace of development makes it hard to believe a full game will come out of this.
I don't think anyone will buy their engine to make one either.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
It's not an engine demo. I've spent 150+ hours with Exanima. The campaign is very much playable.

It's not Sui Generis, sure, but it's a game.

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, they are taking their time because they're actually making something good as fuck. When Sui Generis is finally released one day, it's probably going to be one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Not to mention I'm going to have an amazing time with Exanima once it's done too.

This is clearly a product of passion. They don't want to shove a turd out just because they are being pressured. They've been very clear about this from the beginning.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just discovered stabbing. Don't know when it got added to the game, but damn is it awesome. Especially stabbing with a two-hander :)

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I recommend you rebind your stab key to space. Easier to hit than alt mid combat, and you don't want the stupid camera snap when fighting (or even at all).

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
[...] The main reason the next update is taking a while is because we're doing a major overhaul to environment composition features, which will allow for a lot more varied and interesting visual content.

26 Nov, http://steamcommunity.com/app/362490/discussions/0/154641879450365423/#c154641879455295151

We're still at a stage where it's hard to say with any precision how long things will take. We have many things well underway, but few that are truly complete. Story wise we're at a point where we can't release much content until the game is very nearly feature complete. Some yet unreleased features have a huge impact on the game.

Currently it looks like the next update will introduce outdoor arenas, a number of general refinements and items. Outdoor arenas share the same basic functionality as the upcoming story content, which will also bring changes and improvements to the current content. Getting this functionality in the game is one our biggest development milestones and we're very close to completing it.

17 Dec, http://steamcommunity.com/app/362490/discussions/0/154643982161110204/#c154643982162536563

[...] A lot of recent work has gone into functionality supporting both the arenas and the story content, but arenas is something we can release earlier. Right now we're in fact focusing on getting the arenas completed.

19 Dec, http://steamcommunity.com/app/362490/discussions/0/154643982161110204/#c154644045358012740

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
And finally a new update released earlier, from what it's said it looks like development is going to be much faster now.

Exanima 0.6.5.2

arenanights.jpg

HEADING FOR COMPLETION

In the past months we've been trying to break free of the endless cycle of improving core features and instead focus on adding what's needed to finish the game. This includes quite a few things, but the really crucial ones are terrain, dialogue and thaumaturgy. Those are what we need to continue and complete the story.

Adding terrain was a late decision. We had an incomplete terrain system, and we thought to get it to a state where we could use it for some outdoor arenas. Since then everything's been hugely improved and optimised to support larger and more complex maps, many more dynamic lights and objects, more detailed and realistic graphics and physics, and many other features and improvements.

Our terrain wasn't just incomplete, it was fundamentally outdated, it could never support all the things we've come to rely on. We could have maybe worked around these limitations, but it would have been a waste of time. We had to completely redesign and redevelop it.

Knowing we had to go back to the drawing board, making an improved and complete terrain system that could also support all these advances, we thought we should take it a step further. Rather than build our engine around two types of environments, we could try to adapt everything to work in the same way, make a unified system that could seamlessly integrate terrain and modular environments.

It would take a lot of work, not only to develop the terrain system, but also to abandon the comfortable constrains of highly segmented and flat environments. The payoff was clearly huge though, it opened up many exciting possibilities for future level design and visual variety.

After much head scratching, prototyping, developing and refining we finally succeeded. We have a fully functional integrated terrain system with all the bells and whistles. We have our first outdoor arenas, we're preparing to release new story content with it and we will also be adding it to existing content.

cavely.jpg

WHAT'S NEW IN 0.6.5.2

Version 0.6.5.2 features the new terrain system in the form of arena matches that take place outdoors, with variable time of day and weather conditions. Many new items have been added, some important new features and a host of critical or required changes.

There's more content and additions that are very nearly ready, but this much has made it through testing and seems stable enough for you to get your hands on it. We'll be releasing some more updates shortly.

While we've tried to avoid spending time on improving things, a few improvements snuck their way in as we worked. There's some notable upgrades to combat physics and animation, and in adapting things to bright sunlit settings we've made some nice enhancements to lighting.

Changelog for 0.6.5.2:
  • Terrain based outdoor arenas

• Time of day and weather system

• Many new items, including:
    • Brigandines
    • New shields, including kite shields
    • Many new footwear items
    • Jackets

• Complete in game manual

• Improved combat, animation and physics

• Local reflections

• Lighting improvements

• New arena music

• Improved interactivity for many common objects

• Improvements to pugilism impact mechanics

• Alternative characters require unlocking (one unlockable now)

• Introduced inventory and container space mechanics

• New portable containers

• Smart randomisation of match locations and music

• Added shopkeeper to arena

• Added encumbrance gauge to management screen

• Added restart prompt to practice arena after death

• Improved in game menus

• Many sound improvements

• Various updated graphical assets

• Functional and visual tweaks to equipment

• Numerous other improvements and fixes

Yep, it is faster AND more deadly. Every update enemies are getting smarter. Yesterday I got smashed in a novice practice *shame*

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
The new outdoor arena is really nice. Man, I so want a full fledged RPG in this engine.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
The new outdoor arena is really nice. Man, I so want a full fledged RPG in this engine.
Don't we all. I guess all we can do is support BM, so they can keep making these.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom