Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Sui Generis + Exanima Early Access

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They should just release an editor so modders can make content.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Are they going to implement parrying, stances and shit? As it is, it looks p. boring, just swinging weapons wildly.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Are they going to implement parrying, stances and shit? As it is, it looks p. boring, just swinging weapons wildly.

There's a video explaining the combat. Parrying is already implemented and it's definitely not random wild swings. The two hander guy in this latest video is timing his attacks very well. (iirc you can also choose what type off attack you make)

set

Cipher
The one with the shield and 1h looked kind of dumb though, how are you supposed to block? Is there just passive blocking?

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
The one with the shield and 1h looked kind of dumb though, how are you supposed to block? Is there just passive blocking?

iirc it's a reasonable compromise. If you're not attacking, your character will attempt to block automatically. You still have to position and turn yourself right, there's no succesful autoblock, rather you're trying to minimize the amount of force and damage your receive.

set

Cipher
They could just make it so that holding down a button raises your shield. Even if you can't direct your shield it'd feel at least a little better...

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Is anyone else playing this? I can say both the combat beta and the Prelude (dungeon crawl) alpha are pretty great. The combat system takes a LOT of getting used to, but it's beautiful. I hope Bare Mettle don't run out of money, or don't burn themselves out. If this keeps going, maybe like Mount and Blade did, the result could be something awesome.
The NDA on the combat beta should be lifted soon, so you'll be able to check out some of the backer LP videos.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Eh, probably best to wait for the NDA to be lifted. (in short though: yes.)

Leonorai

Novice
Is the insider forum info worth backing them for? Do they show stuff like the details of the physics system and animation or do they just post text about the difficulties they've had?

Really annoyed with their extremely tight-lipped approach so far, barely a bone thrown every few months.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
There are a few development videos that show more in the vein of the public ones. No in-detail explanations of physics or other inside systems - the main programmer is extremely protective of his technology. (having seen it run quite well on my old potato, it's understandable. Tech is impressive.)

Other than that it's mostly developers posting about what they're working on, responding to questions etc. + obviously access to the alpha and beta builds.

Leonorai

Novice
Think they'll push out a final release by 2016? This prelude's been a long time coming as it is.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Hard to say, AFAIK they didn't talk much about the scope of the game. I think they'll definitely get out something for the public by that time. The technology is getting there, but they haven't built much of an actual game. (wouldn't make sense at this point)
We'll see what the full Prelude looks like.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

An interview with IncGamers: http://www.incgamers.com/2015/02/sui-generis-interview-with-bare-mettles-madoc-evans

IG: What’s the current state of Sui Generis’ features and your goals for the next few months of 2015?

ME: We’ve finally reached a point where we consider the core game and engine to be completely functional and support everything we might want in the future. Developing it with constant feedback from our backers and the public has driven us to do almost everything to much higher quality standards than we planned or imagined. We’ve acted on every bit of feedback and criticism that was in line with our goals and pushed to make everything good rather than just adequate. As you can imagine there was a lot of nitpicking about every detail as people overanalysed whatever they glimpsed. Sometimes this was counterproductive, but we think the results speak for themselves.

Now we are preparing to release the prelude, Exanima, which aims to support the game’s core features but not yet the open world and dynamic story systems. Exanima is currently in alpha, beta is imminent and a full release will come very soon after that. We will continue to add features to Exanima as we develop them for Sui Generis.

At this point our focus is becoming only adding features and our dynamic story rather than developing the complex systems to support it all. Exanima is already very close to a complete game and a huge accomplishment. While it’s relatively simple, there’s a massive amount of stuff under bonnet that is there to support the world of Sui Generis.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
The arena mode is enough of a game by itself. If it was MP, it would sell like hotcakes.

These guys are late, sure. But their tech is pretty amazing and I only hope Exanima catches on, even if it's Early Access what people (righfully) hate right now.

Mustawd

Haven't really been following this game all that much. But does anyone else get the feeling that these models look like they're puppets on a string?

I mean it seems they don't have their own center of gravity. If one of them is going forward, gets slashed in the neck, they then fall to the side. Wtf? Hope they fix that, cuz it's a weird ass effect.

Anyhow, looks like an interesting action combat system. Definitely keep an eye on it for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
The combat stuff looks really good, as do the interactivity of the world and the graphics. But is it possible to fix the camera into some isometric position? In the videos, it looks like they are constantly wrestling with it, in order to see the surroundings better. That approach is terrible. A lot of early 3D games had that and it was so annoying to always have to think about the camera.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
There is a camera autofollow that tries to position it behind your back, but I find it's easier for me to reset it whenever I need it, with the spacebar. It's possible to adjust the angle/height, but it freaks out around walls a bit. I tried to convince them to have it clip through walls, but they haven't done that yet. (seem to like it this way)

There is a camera autofollow that tries to position it behind your back, but I find it's easier for me to reset it whenever I need it, with the spacebar. It's possible to adjust the angle/height, but it freaks out around walls a bit. I tried to convince them to have it clip through walls, but they haven't done that yet. (seem to like it this way)

Yeah, the way newer isometric games handled the camera issues of the first generation ones is by making the walls between the avatar(s) and the player invisible. This is a much better approach that allows the camera to be locked into place and the player to focus on the gameplay.

V_K

Arcane
What about the RPG stuff though? So far it looks more like a Zelda-esque adventure to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom