Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Sui Generis + Exanima Early Access

Kukulkan

Learned
I appreciate the subtle humor they have employed with the title. Rather nice of them to hint at the nature of the game.

Project: Eternity
Grand Theft Auto meets Morrowind in an original open world RPG.

:retarded:
After watching the video I still don't know how the combat will work, what are the controls like?

I'm having that problem too. All I can gather from that video is that red, spherical mouse cursor plays some sort of a role (ish? maybe?), and that the game has magic spells that keep you from falling on your ass even though your torso is leaning a meter away from your feet.

If they were serious about hitting their quota for this, I think they'd be focusing more on periodically introducing more "hey, look at THIS new and exciting feature/art/whatever!" instead of "NO UR RONG, AR GAIM IS AVONT GAURD!"

then you're looking at the wrong game

Wow. Whoever their mouthpiece is needs to throw in the public relations towel. Even if that is a true statement, you never say something like that. Especially when you're a no-name outfit trying to run interference between skeptical potential customers and financial success. They might wanna poo-poo on industry norms, but there aren't any cPRG success stories that I'm aware of that sprung forth from a small handful of untested developers who (pretty much literally, in this case) scoffed at all external criticism.

If you're new to the game development scene, don't try to reinvent the wheel for a genre like cRPGs, and definitely don't reinvent it into a shittier wheel.

My guess is that this Madoc character is more concerned with having the team's ego stroked than he is with getting his game to succeed, and this mixed bag of responses to the game's Kickstarter has him in full-on "THIS IS AN OUTRAGE" mode.

Kukulkan

Learned
I appreciate the subtle humor they have employed with the title. Rather nice of them to hint at the nature of the game.
It probably has a much deeper meaning that will change your view on game naming forever.
Sui is an ancient word of a lost language meaning numerous things. An all encompassing wholeness is the simplest way to explain.
Generis is too an ancient word from a dead language. It means lineage and nobility.
The name can be anglicized as So Generic.

Kukulkan

Learned

FrancoTAU

Cipher
The first 2 Elder Scrolls (and GTAs too) were open world but than again so was pretty much every RPG in the 80s to the early 90s by those standards. GTA3 was the first game that really designed and pushed it as a big part of the game though. It's one of the first things that my half ass gamer buddies rave about GTA3 through the latest ones is that you can just drive around playing Smokey and the Bandit with the cops, do stunts, go on a rampage or whatever you can think of. So yes, I think when you say a game is like GTA mixed with something else, people think you mean an open world game plus the qualities of your other example. If we polled people, i'm sure open world would finish first by a wide margin than you'd get shock value shit, the radio stuff than actual gameplay stuff.

Kitako

Arcane
I'll be interested when I'm sure that A) the tools and editor will be avaiable for everyone, and B) the combat system is not tied to this "fluid" shit that so much reminds me of Witcher horrors.
Like I wrote somewhere else, I still secretly hope for a new Aurora-style golden age for modders. If that's the case, who cares for the farmer boy that saves the world, in NWN the campaign was a tech demo too, easily forgotten once you get modders start to pull out their work.

Wasteland 2
This Maddoc guy seems pretty codexian in his butthurt and sperging.
I am surprised that the codex, out of all places, has such a big problem with him.

The tools he developed look good. At least they've developed something already, unlike other 95% of kickstarters beggars.
H&S with a focus on realism and seamless, heavy on simulation world appeals to me.

I don't know if they will be creative enough to develop interesting gameplay/world/story.
Even if it turns out bland, with a promise of down to earth approach, at least it shouldn't be offensively retarded, like most fantasy games.

I am not sure if they just take themselves a bit too seriously, or are completely deluded.
Still, I just feel like throwing few bucks at the guys, that are at least trying, unlike most of disgusting hipsters, that polluted kickstarter.

They're not going to make their goal anyway, so I don't expect to be parted with my money.
If they miss the goal, but not by a huge margin, then maybe they won't give up ?

Also, lol at the codex giving Bloom free pass for bullshitting. Double standards ? Why ?
There is more effort put into pimping their pledge tiers and merchandise than into explaining what gameplay will be about.
Screens mockups looks like tasteless shit, compared to what you can see in the actual engine tech demo video of Sui Generis.
Bloom's “technology overview” shows nothing but shots from other games and explains elementary basics of video games graphics to make impression on cluesless morons.

Project: Eternity
This Maddoc guy seems pretty codexian in his butthurt and sperging.
I am surprised that the codex, out of all places, has such a big problem with him.

Two things:
1) We're part of a cRPG developer's prospective consumer base, and he's trying (sorta?) to convince potential customers to support his product. There are very different, yet largely proven and accepted, types of things that these two groups will say and do. Regarding accurate criticism with a "bah, who cares what these plebes think?" style of attitude will do wonders for the ego...to the detriment of their wallets.
2) Yes, his butthurt is all too common. Have you ever seen it as something to be impressed with?

Also, lol at the codex giving Bloom free pass for bullshitting. Double standards ? Why ?
There is more effort put into pimping their pledge tiers and merchandise than into explaining what gameplay will be about.
Screens mockups looks like tasteless shit, compared to what you can see in the actual engine tech demo video of Sui Generis.
Bloom's “technology overview” shows nothing but shots from other games and explains elementary basics of video games graphics to make impression on cluesless morons.

Pfft, free pass my ass (I'm a poet who knows it). The Bloom developer not only has the cojones to post several times in a forum like this, but does it cordially, and explains his thought process (as flawed as it may be, on the matter of pricing structure). Dude isn't getting utterly reamed, but nobody is glossing over the kinks in his pricing structure whatsoever. Whereas, I've not seen anything from the Sui Generis team here, and I'm not aware of any other general Q&As or things like that for their project elsewhere on the interwebs.

Showing game footage is neither the only way to generate interest, nor is it guaranteed to have a positive effect on the viewership. When I watched the Bloom pitch video, my thoughts were "hey, this seems pretty classy. I like the art, I like isometric viewpoints, and I like heavily foresty settings." When I watched the Sui Generis pitch, my thoughts were "well...I like a lot of what they have to say, and the toolset they're using...but I don't like how sparse the environments are, and the combat animations are really, really distracting, in a bad way."

I hate to keep using this as an example, but damn if they didn't get a lot things right...

Project Eternity had and still has no gameplay footage whatsoever. In fact, Bloom has shown quite a bit more in terms of game assets than PE did (or even has, really; most of what they've shown is pre-production concept art). There are quite a few other methods to garner success for a gaming Kickstarter beyond showing a functioning pre-alpha. But instead of exploiting these other avenues, or providing some fan-service like "by popular demand, we will include our world editor" or "yeah, you guys are right about the animations; we'll be revising them in the weeks to come," they seem to be living in a vacuum.

Wasteland 2
2) Yes, his butthurt is all too common. Have you ever seen it as something to be impressed with?

No, but I don't have problem with him thinking this way, either. It looks like he assumed they won't make it and just gave up, hence the butthurt.
It had some recent pledges surge after RPS story, but it died already and it looked completely hopeless when he was writing his rants.
He could keep it for himself, though. This "living in a vacuum" thing is true as well. This is really bad judgement on his part and a serious source of concern about his judgement in other areas, true.
I have my doubts whether they would manage to deliver too, but at least they're trying something interesting and have few things to show.

I don't believe this combat, or levels are supposed to be in any way final. It's only my assumption, maybe completely wrong.
More responsiveness and few more attack types / moves and it could become interesting.

In the end I had thrown at Obsidian's kickstarter roughly as much money, as I've paid Bethesda, Atari and Interplay for theirs and BI games so far.
But I did it primarily for “the great justice”. They've took this "let's remake IE game" premise too literally for my taste, in fact.
It's a bad example, the amount of money PE got have little to do with the pitch and much more to do with history of the studio.

visions

Arcane
Sui is an ancient word of a lost language meaning numerous things. An all encompassing wholeness is the simplest way to explain.
Generis is too an ancient word from a dead language. It means lineage and nobility.

Erm. That's not what the expression means.

http://oed.com/view/Entry/193700;js...C6D3D5DDFBB545?redirectedFrom=sui+generis#eid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sui_generishttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sui_generis

Kukulkan

Learned

Erm. That's not what the expression means.

http://oed.com/view/Entry/193700;jsessionid=F61F63CA47BAB965FBC6D3D5DDFBB545?redirectedFrom=sui generis#eid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sui_generis
I made those definitions up so I could follow it up with a witty joke. Though the real definition really shows the devs' vanity.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Seems like their focus is on creating the game engine and development platform, which could turn out to be a decent playground for modders and people with original ideas - should it be made available to the public, of course. The story of the game itself doesn't seem appealing or interesting at all and the fact that the lead developer (or whoever writes their updates and comments) comes off as a smug douchenozzle doesn't help either.

Cyril

Educated
They have an engine, programming an engine is like 80% of programming etc.

I agree though that they are asking for too much. To an extent this is just a UK way of making money, but the difference is the product is highlighted, because thats the only way to make money that way. And it is good. To an extent it is also a counterculture and although fundamentally countercultures suck, the current (games) culture is itself heavily inflenced by a counterculture.

I think their attitude towards rpgs will not influence what game they can make, but this may not become the deepest RPG. Or it may, in an atypical way. But if it will be moddable i am sure deeper shit can be made.

But if you think remakes of project eternity will ever get old, theres reason to support.
On the other hand if they dont deliver much anything of what they propose to, they will troll kickstarter and sui generis. Them having an engine reduces that fear, but their response to criticism increases it.
They will get my 20.

Sui Generis is set in a dark, hostile mediaeval world pervaded by intrigue and treachery. A completely original work evolved over many years, the Sui Generis universe is the product of many rare moments of inspiration.
So, onward, to Grimdark dialogue!
Jack leaned against the side of the building, trying to catch his breath. Behind him, beyond the palisade, shadows still prowled. Unable to scale the fortifications, they paced back and forth at the edge of the clearing in the vain hope he would emerge again. Eventually the high, nasal whine of their frustration slowly faded as the beasts retreated, and after a few more minutes Jack finally relaxed. He brushed the twigs from his hair, picked a few brambles from the hem of his cloak, and headed directly for the smithy.
“Good morning!”
“It may be...”, said the shopkeeper.
“Are you open, friend? I have need of a new blade.”
“We are as open as your purse, good sir.”
“Ahh. I’ve little wish to empty its contents on the counter...”
“Then we’re closed. Good morning!”
“Wait! I could be persuaded to pry it open... for the right weapon”
“Then I shall do my best to find such a weapon! What exactly are you looking for?”
“Not this.” *he displays a pitted, mostly dull and slightly crooked longsword*
“Gods below, what have you been using this for?!”
“Its main purpose of late seems to be acting as excess weight. It also does an excellent job of antagonising enemies, and impeding my subsequent flight from them”
“I could hardly sell you a worse weapon, friend. I have several fine oaken broom handles that would be a clear improvement!”
“I would prefer something sharper than a broom handle...”
“A basket of bread would be sharper than this apprentice’s accident.”
“Indeed. But again, let us confine ourselves to swords and the like.”
“Yes, yes. I have a fine journeyman blade, never used in combat. Its former owner was consumed by a bear a fortnight ago.”
“He was taken unawares by a bear?”
“I hardly think so. They make an awful noise, do they not?”
“But you said the blade was never used...”
“Quite so. The poor man left it at home for fear of chipping the finish before his master smith’s examination”
“Not the best decision, in hindsight.”
“I should think he would agree... now let us talk price.”
[src]
:what:

crafthack

Educated
Well I think that engine at the least deserves to have a game made in it, just to see what can be done with it, it will be worth it if only you get to use that map editor with the final release

Kukulkan

Learned
Well I think that engine at the least deserves to have a game made in it, just to see what can be done with it, it will be worth it if only you get to use that map editor with the final release
So this has the potential of being a Neverwinter Nights?

bminorkey

Jack leaned against the side of the building, trying to catch his breath. Behind him, beyond the palisade, shadows still prowled. Unable to scale the fortifications, they paced back and forth at the edge of the clearing in the vain hope he would emerge again. Eventually the high, nasal whine of their frustration slowly faded as the beasts retreated, and after a few more minutes Jack finally relaxed. He brushed the twigs from his hair, picked a few brambles from the hem of his cloak, and headed directly for the smithy.
“Good morning!”
“It may be...”, said the shopkeeper.
“Wait! I could be persuaded to pry it open... for the right weapon”
“Then I shall do my best to find such a weapon! What exactly are you looking for?”
“Not this.” *he displays a pitted, mostly dull and slightly crooked longsword*
“Gods below, what have you been using this for?!”
“Its main purpose of late seems to be acting as excess weight. It also does an excellent job of antagonising enemies, and impeding my subsequent flight from them”
“I could hardly sell you a worse weapon, friend. I have several fine oaken broom handles that would be a clear improvement!”
“I would prefer something sharper than a broom handle...”
“A basket of bread would be sharper than this apprentice’s accident.”
“Indeed. But again, let us confine ourselves to swords and the like.”
“Yes, yes. I have a fine journeyman blade, never used in combat. Its former owner was consumed by a bear a fortnight ago.”
“He was taken unawares by a bear?”
“I hardly think so. They make an awful noise, do they not?”
“But you said the blade was never used...”
“Quite so. The poor man left it at home for fear of chipping the finish before his master smith’s examination”
“Not the best decision, in hindsight.”
“I should think he would agree... now let us talk price.”

I can live with it. Worst part:

Dry and pointless.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
So this has the potential of being a Neverwinter Nights?

I think so - but they do need to release the toolset for that to happen, which they haven't confirmed at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom