Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Sui Generis + Exanima Early Access

wormix

Augur
Well it had a rocky ride that's fore sure.

exp-trend.png

MisterStone

Arcane
Meh, by the time they got to within 1000 BritBux they could have pulled it off by calling grandma or uncle Charley and asking for a £1000 loan. Still, good for them, hope it turns out well.

Baron

Arcane
The skeleton fights look fantastic, particularly the re-animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WqaRqih7Cuw#t=143s

I was suddenly left thinking how much I could handle playing Pool of Radiance's Sokol Keep again in the Sui Generis engine. The ground textures look amazing as well.

I've never liked Diablo games though, I think the waving the heavy sword about could quickly get boring. And the blasts of spellpower from the armoured knight don't improve it any, but I'm sure the younguns will love it. It's a pity the physics combat isn't party turn based, as I would love to sit with a furrowed brow and the concentration of chess grandmaster taking a dump whilst giving orders to my adventurers, and see crossbow bolts, fireballs and shock waves knock my minions about. Still, pretty exciting software, happy it got funded.

If I could give any constructive feedback it would be for the NPCs/monsters to do vicious strikes at PCs who have fallen/tripped/slipped over... and vice versa. The combat is still a little bland, it looks a little like a pillow fight on a gymnastics beam.* The characters belt each other sideways until one falls over. It would be markedly improved if the characters could do a x3 damage double handed swing or kicks on a prone figure. Dishonorable combat is both fun and strategic.

Spears would also be great. I'd rather take on that ogre/giant with 8 spearman buddies. Whoever he hits should probably become the NPC crippled beggar in the next cutscene.

* if you build it they will come

Johannes

Arcane
The skeleton fights look fantastic, particularly the re-animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WqaRqih7Cuw#t=143s

I was suddenly left thinking how much I could handle playing Pool of Radiance's Sokol Keep again in the Sui Generis engine. The ground textures look amazing as well.

I've never liked Diablo games though, I think the waving the heavy sword about could quickly get boring. And the blasts of spellpower from the armoured knight don't improve it any, but I'm sure the younguns will love it. It's a pity the physics combat isn't party turn based, as I would love to sit with a furrowed brow and the concentration of chess grandmaster taking a dump whilst giving orders to my adventurers, and see crossbow bolts, fireballs and shock waves knock my minions about. Still, pretty exciting software, happy it got funded.

If I could give any constructive feedback it would be for the NPCs/monsters to do vicious strikes at PCs who have fallen/tripped/slipped over... and vice versa. The combat is still a little bland, it looks a little like a pillow fight on a gymnastics beam.* The characters belt each other sideways until one falls over. It would be markedly improved if the characters could do a x3 damage double handed swing or kicks on a prone figure. Dishonorable combat is both fun and strategic.
Overall it needs more varied moves you can do, and not just staggering around waving your sword around. Decide when to thrust (and how hard/fast), when to swing in whatever direction, when to evade in which direction, etc. To be more like a M&B, Beat'em Up, style fighting game - if it's just simply based off of your stats who wins, what's the point of all that simulation? You need to be able to properly control and manipulate it for it to be more than a visual gimmick.

bminorkey

Frankly, the combat system is really shallow. It looks cool and fluid, but that's about it.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron

Well, this is probably the prettiest game of this kind I've ever seen. Animations suck but I like that the combat has weight, I've never liked the fact that most games have such a "disconnected" combat.

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I actually think the animations are great for what they are doing. Which is having a completely physics-driven combat/movement system. Which gives them an almost unlimited amount of variation and adaption to environments, relative positions, movements and weapon shapes/weight. This is completely unprecedented even in high-budget "AAA" games.

I think it's incredibly exciting in terms of advancing ARPG mechanics, eve if I have no real confidence in them delivering a good story, characters or writing.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Some cool concepts in there. I got a little bit of a Nox-vibe.

set

Cipher
I agree a totally vector-driven game sounds exciting but that doesn't mean it will be fun. You need competent design on top of a fancy engine.

titus

Arcane
Patron
Looks pretty nice(and unique). I like how they blend the combat with the magic as well. However, I think it is susceptible to becoming a chore. I'd love to see how this works with multiple enemies/combatants.

norolim

Arcane
Combat looks better in comparison to what it was during Kickstarter. Definitely going in the right direction. Environments look good, too. They probably didn't have time to work on those movement animations, though. They still look funny. Has a lot of potential.

EDIT: Apparently they did work on movement animations, as explained in the new video:

The video also presents combat controls. Rather impresive.

Last edited:

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Looks stunning in my opinion. So different from what we've seen from aRPG so far. Lots of potential to incline. I share the concerns of set though, regarding their abilities to create interesting RPG experience story-wise. Especially on their budget.
But I fucking love the combat as it is shown. Hell, I love those half-drunken movements, parrying, attacks etc. Definitely room for improvement in terms of animation, but I love it. That's why I backed them initially. My most anticipated aRPG demo (I have no delusions that it will be fully fledged RPG).
Water and beach looks fantastic as well. Also colors, saturation etc. Generally graphic and art direction looks awesome.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Looks stunning in my opinion. So different from what we've seen from aRPG so far. Lots of potential to incline. I share the concerns of set though, regarding their abilities to create interesting RPG experience story-wise. Especially on their budget.

They spent it all on the technology, which is what they are interested in. So it will never be anything more than a hike sim, with physics based twitch combat. It will sell a lot and they won't change the winning formula after that.

set

Cipher
They still need to tighten up the physics a little bit, people shouldn't start swaying like they're drunk until they get knocked around enough.

Kron

Arcane
When I first saw the videos for this project I remember being really intrigued. The physics driven movement, object placement and combat seemed so "ambitious".
"They'll have time to add content, feel and soul to the game" I told myself.

Now, on the other hand, seeing that the game remains as empty, devoid of quality music, writing and all the frosting which makes a game attractive beyond its mechanics, I've lost my hope.

This will probably end up being a generic action RPG with "innovative" combat mechanics, but with all the other features as afterthoughts.

I'll even say that you could tell the guys didn't have a creative vision of the game beyond the physics gimmick thing. As in the mood, the setting, the art, the writing, etc.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
And you've gotten all this from a combat video? I've only seen the public stuff, but they've pretty much only showed combat and graphics. There was like a single update about writing. Dunno, the fact they're not showing it off doesn't mean they're not working on it.

Kron

Arcane
Well, their design statment back then was pretty much limited to the technology.

You know, it's the general feeling that comes across when I watch their stuff.

There's no such stuff they showed like concept arts of buildings, characters, maps illustrated in ye olde style; see, all those things that nerds make when they are REALLY into something and want to convey their vision with these independent projects.

Then again, it's just a hunch I have, take it as you want; tough I have the bad feeling that it will turn to be true in the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom