Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suikoden

laclongquan

Arcane
Finish Suikoden 1. It's a nice and easy game that allow for fast play. The many defiencies are glossed over due to the pace.

Suikoden 2 is a mess. It try to improve on the original but failing in almost every aspect. Characters? Pft. That Luca is a pretty welldone villain, sure but Jowy is just a pussy. The enforcing certain char in the party is annoying but minor. The enforcing quick run if you want to witness a minor questline is very annoying. The enforcing grind due to no blinking/no talisman fast travel is greatly more annoying. The inventory system of 1 works well, then they go and ruin it in 2. Best thing can say about it is the cooking subgame, I enjoy it.

Common points of 1 and 2, the things you play these games, are collecting 108 characters, and build up your own castle. That's the fun thing.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I think the main change in S2 is how the story feels like a collection of smaller story arcs existing alongside the main story. Like the Tinto Republic and Gregminster visits. They don't really impact the story at large, aside from army contributions and recruitable characters, they're just there to tie some other loose ends or/and to invoke nostalgia. Just saying, it's not like I minded it, really.

laclongquan

Arcane
Problem is, Suikoden 2 has full of potentials. It's just frustrating to see the them and the misdesigns.

Case in point, the inventory system. The way S1 goes, you play normally and you wont have much items to worry about storing. And when you get storage space of that castle, you stopped worry about space and just strip all the characters so you have a common pools of equipment. Not so with S2. You have a stinking space of 6 pages worth of unstackable items, even when you got that huge castle. You have the chance to collect lots of items for use in end game, like the statue designs, and they bloody clutter up your very tight storage. You cant even think of storing unique items because where else?

It's a good game. Maybe when I stop frustrating over it I will replay it, this time with fast pace to finish that bloody 20 hours questline. Whoever thought of quickrun plays should be inflicted with premature ejaculation permanently.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
You also get a warehouse in S2 and you strip / store everything you come across. It's true that it gets hard whenever you come across an ingredient or design or whatever, since they do take up space, but I've played that game SEVEN!!! times and I've never been in a situation in which I found myself not being able to discard some medicine or scroll to make more space. Inventory management is part of the game and it's perfectly possible to deal with it.

I find that S2 is the best game in the series.

I enjoyed both games, though the MCs in the second weren't as well written or taken as seriously as in the 1st one. Had some nice albeit cliche touches like your friend marking the rock after your fleeing from the battle. And it was pretty easy to see how most of the plot would go after a few hours ingame.

Murk

Arcane
If the game could somehow allow you to take a "I hate Jowy" route, I'd be extremely happy with it. Jowy was a coward and a murderer who would sacrifice others to get his own way; I hated the sociopath. But apparently the power of friendship wins in the end.

Xeon

Augur
Yea, I wish if Luca stayed longer but his ending was pretty good. an awesome awesome character.

IIRC don't you get options while talking to Jowy, one as a sorta of a friend and the other is kinda suspicious or threatening or something. There were several times and each time it affects the ending that you might get.

Last part of the game during the duel, you could kill him and take his half of the true rune and create Rune of the Beginning and also are able to spare him and end up forgiving him and end up finding Nami is alive.

Murk

Arcane
Yeah but it's too little too late. During the actual game you are constantly trying to 'get your friend back' when very early on it's obvious he's a bastard who should be put down. All the more upsetting you don't do it when you get the chance.

It's a common thing in jRPGs, the whole "power of friendship" angle so I can't pretend I didn't know it was gonna be the case -- just seems like a wasted opportunity for some 'mature storytelling' or whatever.

But, as long as I get ma boy Killey to fuck shit up it's all good.

Trexrell44

Educated
Joey was not exactly a bastard. He had his reasons he wanted the same things you wanted he just had a different way he wanted to do it. Whether it was good or bad was up to the player to decide.It is sad really the "bad" ending though seems like the more legit one. The other one seems more like a cop out.

Murk

Arcane
He was willing to aid in starting a war and to keep it going, had no problem with sacrificing thousands of war-refugees to summon a hellish demonscape of monsters, and was also a traitor to his own side. He's the definition of an evil bastard.

WalmartJesus

Learned
Luca Blight was a true Bro. Konami should make a game where you play as him and make peasant women oink on their hands and knees the entire game. The butthurt from SJW fags would be glorious.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Luca Blight was a true Bro. Konami should make a game where you play as him and make peasant women oink on their hands and knees the entire game. The butthurt from SJW fags would be glorious.

Somewhere, in an alternate dimension...

Q0HDtkI.jpg

Trexrell44

Educated
He was willing to aid in starting a war and to keep it going, had no problem with sacrificing thousands of war-refugees to summon a hellish demonscape of monsters, and was also a traitor to his own side. He's the definition of an evil bastard.
Well when you put it that way sure. LOL.

The good thing about this game was that it really focused on a contained story and allowed the characters to evolve the way they did. Not only was Joeys transformation visible and believable. It seemed a long ways from what he originally was perceived at the beginning of the game. I think that is why this game was so good. It had so much to offer but the main story was so strong it stood out from the many minigames, battle system, duels, and self contained easter eggs. Not to mention the boast load of characters. In the games I played this could be considered one of the greatest jrpgs of all time but it does not get that type of cred. Simply because not too many people have ever played it.

Murk

Arcane
I can agree with that; it's definitely in my own personal top 10 (tho I stopped playing consoles after playstation 1 so I missed a lot of games on the other systems).

mettalhed

Educated
I can agree with that; it's definitely in my own personal top 10 (tho I stopped playing consoles after playstation 1 so I missed a lot of games on the other systems).

That's the same generation i quit consoles. PC gaming master race bitches.

I will concur that Suikoden 1 & 2 are top tier jrpgs. I was surprised. Especially since they came from Konami. I can't think of any other Konami rpgs. That probably helped contribute to their uniqueness.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Suikoden 2 will be getting released on PlayStation Network. Fucking finally.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Have the planets aligned or something? Its release was supposedly in the talks for years.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Started Suikoden IV, still unsure whether main character is a boy or a girl.

I named him/her Trump.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You should play Suikoden Tactics afterward, it's pretty much a direct sequel to IV. It's a lot different than the mainline games but it's decent and it helps to solve some of S4's story and character deficiencies. I think you can also transfer your save over to it.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Enjoying this more than 3 so far brehs. I don't care about the ship travel and many random encounters, having played through Skies of Arcadia and some early 90s PC98 rpgs.

Getting into 3 after 1 & 2 that game just looks goofy as hell, like something made with Playmobil. And while Geddoe and his team were awesome and had a good story, the other two main characters were lame and annoying (though Chris was cute in her other outfit and gains points for killing that retarted kid in the beginning).

But what really got to me what losing in cutscenes again and again to the same three douchebags even after you crush them. And where was Pesmerga?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom