Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SureAI's new project: Enderal - The Shards of Order (Mostly about Enderal SE now)

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
DL'd and played around a bit. For what it's worth, Enderal is probably the best possible iteration of Skyrim - technical issues aside. The writing is half-decent, the VOs actually pretty competent, some interesting NPCs, the world is coherent (towns that actually look like towns!) and the narrative so far is intriguing.
That being said, there's only so much you can do to redeem this wonky framework and its shitty combat. I just can't stomach it any more.

Rpgsaurus Rex

For what it's worth, Enderal is probably the best possible iteration of Skyrim - technical issues aside. The writing is half-decent, the VOs actually

Can you write a bit more on this? What are the goods and bads re: Enderal's writing?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For what it's worth, Enderal is probably the best possible iteration of Skyrim - technical issues aside. The writing is half-decent, the VOs actually

Can you write a bit more on this? What are the goods and bads re: Enderal's writing?

Most characters are decent, the story isn't too bad and actually has some twists, the German voice acting is pretty great, there is some good fluff.
But it quickly gets annoying how the game pushes a "lol religion is bad" agenda and is very pseudo-philosophical, and not in the good way that Torment was. When like 4 or 5 of the major characters (which are also the ones the story wants you to see as your friends) go on and on about how religion is bullshit and makes people stupid, it gets old real quick.
But at least there's also one main character with a different opinion, and later in the game you get evil fanatic atheists to balance it out.
Still, it's way too obvious which opinion the devs probably share.
Also, unskippable cutscenes are a shit mechanic. But it's not that horrible since the dialogue is pretty decent.

In other aspects, it's just a really good explorefag game. I just went into an area that is too hard for my level for the third time this playthrough and managed to barely clear a dungeon, using the recall spell to return to the city with my bags full of good loot and two or three levelups in my pockets. There is zero scaling here, most items are handplaced, most enemies are handplaced, and random spawns like wild animals are dependent on the region, so going into an area several levels higher than yours means that enemies will dish out huge punishment and you pretty much have to cheese to get through it, but it is oh so satisfying if you actually manage to survive.
And the diversity of environments is wonderful, too. You got temperate forest and grassland, desert, jungle, magical crystal forest, snowy and icy mountains, autumn forest with red leaves, dark and foggy forest...
The dungeons are solid, too. I had three or four truly great dungeons now, but overall I would say that Nehrim had more impressive dungeons, at least as far as I remember.

Cromwell

Arcane

Most characters are decent, the story isn't too bad and actually has some twists, the German voice acting is pretty great, there is some good fluff.
But it quickly gets annoying how the game pushes a "lol religion is bad" agenda and is very pseudo-philosophical, and not in the good way that Torment was. When like 4 or 5 of the major characters (which are also the ones the story wants you to see as your friends) go on and on about how religion is bullshit and makes people stupid, it gets old real quick.
But at least there's also one main character with a different opinion, and later in the game you get evil fanatic atheists to balance it out.
Still, it's way too obvious which opinion the devs probably share.
Also, unskippable cutscenes are a shit mechanic. But it's not that horrible since the dialogue is pretty decent.

In other aspects, it's just a really good explorefag game. I just went into an area that is too hard for my level for the third time this playthrough and managed to barely clear a dungeon, using the recall spell to return to the city with my bags full of good loot and two or three levelups in my pockets. There is zero scaling here, most items are handplaced, most enemies are handplaced, and random spawns like wild animals are dependent on the region, so going into an area several levels higher than yours means that enemies will dish out huge punishment and you pretty much have to cheese to get through it, but it is oh so satisfying if you actually manage to survive.
And the diversity of environments is wonderful, too. You got temperate forest and grassland, desert, jungle, magical crystal forest, snowy and icy mountains, autumn forest with red leaves, dark and foggy forest...
The dungeons are solid, too. I had three or four truly great dungeons now, but overall I would say that Nehrim had more impressive dungeons, at least as far as I remember.

I tried it in between the release of it and the release of resurretion but after a while I just couldnt anymore. Maybe I am to long on the Codex but the dialogue at the start on the ship were to dirty sailors talk about how woman are shit nowadays and dont appreciate real men anymore and the fact that they referred to their captain in the female form got to me. Who the fuck would use captainess. (it sounds even worse in german). The following cutscene was awful too.

They managed to somehow change the leveling up mechanic from stars in skyrim to glowing stones in some astral plane while keeping it as awful as in skyrim. I tried a mage and it was absolutely boring, while I had hoped they change the whole mechanics somewhat and maybe bring their own ideas in from what I saw of the other possible "classes" and played as a mage its the same boring shit. It didnt help my mood that I looked up some info on their forum where people praised them for making gameplay and character mechanics even deeper and more awesome than the already awesome skyrim.

Cant say anything more about writing and story apart from the fact that I played until the first town and explored a bit more and luckily what I saw wasnt as bad as the start. The worst thing was that I actually liked the dream scene you get right at the start just to be kicked in the balls by the captainness. Since ressurrection was a few days out and I wanted to play some dungeon explore thing I started up the quest and had way more fun, if that helps as comparision.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron

You get a pretty intense opening scene, and opposed to certain other Bethesda titles it actually makes me interested in my family's story. After the initial scene it is nothing to get overly excited about but it never gets as low as Arrow-to-knee levels like Skyrim. The main plotlines have a mysterious touch and keep me engaged without utilizing the usual 'you'rethe chosen one' trope. The sidequests are the usual 'go to quest marker - kill shit', but at least they tell an entertaining story. The first companion you encounter shows distinct character and I could imagine he provides a decent questline, too.
That being said, I'm just a few hours in yet and it's still quite possible it all turns shit eventually.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
That being said, I'm just a few hours in yet and it's still quite possible it all turns shit eventually.

Nah, it doesn't turn to shit. I'm about at the halfway point of the mainquest and it doesn't. I find the frequent cutscenes to be a bit annoying, but the writing stays solid enough.
It even has some more mysteries and plot twists developing, so it's actually pretty good in some aspects.

Yeah the English subtitles come near the end of July. Been waiting for a long ass time, another couple weeks won't kill me.

So when is the English version released, then?

It has been delayed 2 weeks or something like that :(

That's okay, everything is perfectly fine.

d5c47dbf914bd4a30bd7d39a96d29754.jpg

*Twitch*

How was your day?

Last edited:

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Here's a big, big annoyance: They totally succumbed to the cardinal sin of quest design. Quest McGuffins and hitman targets only spawn after the player receives the quest. I just returned to one of the first cities to do some bounty hunting sidequests. Those were three consecutive quests that lead me to dungeons I already explored to kill someone who wasn't there in the first place. It's like you get punished for exploring on your own.

V_K

Arcane
Here's a big, big annoyance: They totally succumbed to the cardinal sin of quest design. Quest McGuffins and hitman targets only spawn after the player receives the quest. I just returned to one of the first cities to do some bounty hunting sidequests. Those were three consecutive quests that lead me to dungeons I already explored to kill someone who wasn't there in the first place. It's like you get punished for exploring on your own.
:rage:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

There was one of those bounty characters that spawned before you got the quest, and it broke the questline. They patched it by now, but yeah, I guess it's an issue with Skyrim's quest scripting. If you do something out of sequence, you break it, this is why they have scripted everything so it's almost impossible to break sequence.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
While we're at it, invulnerable quest companions that also don't use stealth is one of the other Skyrim flaws that got carried over.

"Hey, he completely ruins your stealthy playstyle...but at least he'll be an invincible battering ram! Hello? Where did everyone go?"

Sjukob

Arcane
I am starting to believe it has something to do with german culture/view of the world . Gothic II Odyssee had the same problem .

Was this a problem with Nehrim as well?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom