Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends - RIP n-Space!

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
This game has a bad rep, but i think its a little gem. It's only 9.99 (5$ would be more realistic) right now on Steam and can definitely be described as a Neverwinter Nights LITE game. A much better game to work on then the DA 2 Tudge left behind. I knew this game wasn't going to be on the same scale as DAO or NWN so I didn't expect much. But some of the banter is pretty funny and although it is an easy game there are some difficulty spikes.

Plus I'm reading the Legacy of the Drow so not only do I get to play in the forgotten realms, but I get to read the lore at the same time. If you've never done that, you haven't experienced the REAL incline.

Last edited:

sstacks

Arcane
This game has a bad rep, but i think its a little gem. It's only 9.99 (5$ would be more realistic) right now on Steam and can definitely be described as a Neverwinter Nights LITE game. A much better game to work on then the DA 2 Tudge left behind. I knew this game wasn't going to be on the same scale as DAO or NWN so I didn't expect much. But some of the banter is pretty funny and although it is an easy game there are some difficulty spikes.

Plus I'm reading the Legacy of the Drow so not only do I get to play in the forgotten realms, but I get to read the lore at the same time. If you've never done that, you haven't experienced the REAL incline.

As you have discovered, the Codex has passed a law that not only are you not allowed to like SCL, but you can't even say it's fun for what it is with managed expectations :P

Mustawd

As you have discovered, the Codex has passed a law that not only are you not allowed to like SCL, but you can't even say it's fun for what it is with managed expectations :P

I'm not sure when and why the hate started tbh. The single player campaign looks like any other fantasy romp out there. I think people were just really bitter at how deceiving the marketing felt.

I do remember feeling pretty surprised they gave into the whole "let's be inclusive and allow level 1 beholders" thing. I thought that was the beginning of the end.

Truthfully, I'll probably buy this game down the road if the discount is high enough. Normally, RtwP is horribad, but this feels more like Dungeon Siege or DA: Inquisition than the Infinity Engine games. Pausing is not required.

sstacks

Arcane
Is "Neverwinter Nights LITE for 9.99" supposed to be an endorsement

I endorse the game, it won't change your life but it will be fun if you just like romping about in Faerun.

That's basically how I look at it, it's a non-heavy romp in the Forgotten Realms and I like the voice acting. It's not greatness, but there are far, far worse games. It's like catching a cheesy movie on late night cable and you end up enjoying it for what it is. As Mustawd pointed out I think a lot of the hate that ended up snowballing was because people expected an updated NWN based on marketing.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Many of us expected eagerly a 5th Edition game, at least with a similar scope than NWN & NWN2: full(ish) implementation of the ruleset, and decent toolset and DM tools. Why should we expect less off an official D&D release with a high price? Had it been released originally at 15-19 bucks, we could be blamed for "too high expectations", but as it was, it's their fault for releasing a half-assed console dungeon hack pretending it was something else.

Lhynn

Arcane
Licence killed the game, had it been generic rpg on generic fantasy land 3548 no one would have given a shit and some would have bought it. Played it this weekend and the combat feels a bit floaty, but its not static at all and sensible tactics do win fights.

sstacks

Arcane
I do hope for a full on 5th Edition D&D CRPG before all is said and done... turn based!

Would love something on the level they tried to pull off with ToEE.

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah, if this game had fully embraced 5th edition ruleset, then all would have been forgiven, its amazing how retarded the people behind that were. Because the writing does hold up, the characters are good enough to play the game.

pippin

I'd like a turn based tactical rpg of course, but I'd also like something more "out there" like a strategy game in the line of Dragonshard. That one was a neat little experiment.

Mustawd

I do hope for a full on 5th Edition D&D CRPG before all is said and done... turn based!

Would love something on the level they tried to pull off with ToEE.

We don't need a 5E game when ToEE is getting an Icewind Dale Total Conversion mod. :M

Also, ToEE is fully moddable, so I'm excited to see what other new things modders come up with.

Mustawd

I'd like a turn based tactical rpg of course, but I'd also like something more "out there" like a strategy game in the line of Dragonshard. That one was a neat little experiment.

What do you mean by "out there"?

pippin

What do you mean by "out there"?

Something other than a pure rpg. The thing is that we'd either get a hack and slash or a bland rtwp rpg at this point, but some of the best dnd games weren't even crpgs (Capcom beat'em ups, for instance)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom