Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Sword Legacy: Omen, a tactical RPG set in a weird Arthurian Britain

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Firecast Studio; Sword Legacy: Omen; Team17

Sword Legacy: Omen is an upcoming turn-based tactical RPG from Brazilian indie developer Firecast Studio, that's set in a weird technologically advanced ("candlepunk") version of Arthurian Britain called "Broken Britannia". Well, pre-Arthurian actually. It appears to be a kind of prequel to the legend of King Arthur, with a grimdark Uther Pendragon as its main character. The game has actually been in development since 2014, but only popped up on our radar now due to the recent announcement of a publishing deal with Team17 (yeah, the Worms guys). It's got an official website and there's a press release with more details floating around, but the best source of information about Sword Legacy I've been able to find is this old press kit site. But first, the new trailer:

STORY & GAMEPLAY

A once-thriving kingdom full of alchemical and technological advances, now fragmented by intrigue and deceit. When murder and betrayal assault the lord of Mercia, a guilt-ridden knight and an eldritch sorcerer set on a journey of vengeance to discover the mysterious origin of a plague and dispense justice by fulfilling an ancient prophecy.

These are dark times. The lord of Mercia has been assassinated, your love kidnapped, and your home is no more. As the leader of the party, you assume the role of Uther and his seven companions. Throughout your quest, you will have to face many trials and forge uneasy alliances in order acquire the mythical Excalibur sword and defeat the sinister and power-obsessed duke of Wessex.

Prove your worth as a tactician by exploring all five realms and dangerous locations, such as villages, dungeons, forests, and much more. Survive ambushes and rescue those in need by making use of each character’s abilities to solve riddles and vanquish your foes. It is up to you define the fate of Britannia… but at what cost?

Combat in Sword Legacy: Omen is always a challenge. As a strategist, you will need to plan your course of action with four characters at a time per quest. However, be ready to adapt and improvise because combat results always change based on the chosen abilities and the chances of landing an attack.

KEY FEATURES

• Tactical Combat: Learn the importance of strategic positioning to unleash powerful talent combos.
  • Free Exploration: When not in combat, investigate the environment, find treasures, solve riddles, and uncover secrets.
  • Party Customization: Adapt characters to your play style, manage your team, and progress by unlocking over 70 unique skills.
  • Hordes of Enemies and Unique Bosses: Fight a variety of vicious mobs and face powerful monsters in grueling battles.
  • Stress System: Use all your might to become victorious, but deplete your willpower and witness your heroes fall prey to panic.
  • Old-School Art Style With a Dark Twist: Relive the beautiful aesthetic of classic animations fused with the visuals of obscure and gothic comics.
  • A Different Take on a Classic Myth: Experience the Arthurian legends as never before, as classic characters and places are revamped, in a mature storyline of vengeance, alchemy and retro technology.
COMBAT FEATURES
  • Positioning Matters: Strike from high ground, flank your opponents, and use overwatch to always have the upper hand.
  • Interactive Environment: Study your surroundings and make deadly moves by blowing up explosive barrels and pushing enemies off edges.
  • Your heroes are special: Their might exceeds those of ordinary people, so use their willpower to increase stats and get extra Action Points!
  • No one is safe: Be warned, deplete your willpower and risk the consequences of having your heroes fall prey to panic.
  • Overkill: Deal massive damage and perform gruesome assassinations to strike fear into your enemies.

What do you think, Codex? I'd say it could be interesting, or it could be shovelware. Sword Legacy doesn't have a Steam page yet and has apparently missed several previous release dates, but is now supposed to come out sometime this year.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Candlepunk doesn't interest me. I'm waiting for Coconutpunk, which explores the societal and technological implications of a feudal society replacing horses with banging two halves of a coconut together. Swallows should feature too.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game isn't out yet and there's no Kickstarter, you don't actually have anything to buy. Strange, I know. :M

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I'm curious. King Arthur is always interesting for me, so I will wait and see.

Zanzoken

Arcane
It doesn't look like the game has a strong creative vision. The somber narrator talks about grimdark this and that, but the characters/dialogs/abilities look cartoonish in contrast.

Plus I don't see anything outside of normal fantasy going on in that trailer, so I am no closer to knowing what the hell "candlepunk" means than before I watched it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It doesn't look like the game has a strong creative vision. The somber narrator talks about grimdark this and that, but the characters/dialogs/abilities look cartoonish in contrast.

Plus I don't see anything outside of normal fantasy going on in that trailer, so I am no closer to knowing what the hell "candlepunk" means than before I watched it.
It is just a hipster name for medieval fantasy.

aratuk

Cipher
Information is too vague so far. It might be a matter for concern that they've missed "several" release dates, if it's because they're developing a directionless mess. Or it might not be, if they have good reasons like Cleve does.

No cause for optimism or pessimism. Withholding judgment for now.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks like Norman Era England sold as Dark Age Arthurian game; at this point would rather play a game about Rob'in Hood to be honest; at least the cartoonish art direction and Wilhelm the Bastard Three ramparts coat d'arms would fit. They should make a game about you know; Cedric, Offa, Great Heathen Army, Alfred or King Athestan the Unready battling Celtic-Norse coalition instead to steal Welsh Myth for themselves but Anglo Saxons gonna pirate.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like Norman Era England sold as Dark Age Arthurian game; at this point would rather play a game about Rob'in Hood to be honest; at least the cartoonish art direction and Wilhelm the Bastard Three ramparts coat d'arms would fit. They should make a game about you know; Cedric, Offa, Great Heathen Army, Alfred or King Athestan the Unready battling Celtic-Norse coalition instead to steal Welsh Myth for themselves but Anglo Saxons gonna pirate.
You should probably give Mount and Blade: Viking Conquest a gander. The storymode is set just before Alfred the Great repels the Viking invasion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom