Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sword Legacy: Omen - turn-based tactical RPG set in "candlepunk realm of Broken Britannia"

rohand

Cipher
Let's not forget Welldoyapunk

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Well it is obviously a mix of waxpunk and wickpunk with a touch of firepunk and smokepunk. :D

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page, apparently delayed to early next year:

Screenshots look less blue-y than before (still blurry, bloom-y, and saturated though):

linkfilter

linkfilter

Darkzone

Arcane
This game needs a vikings addon so that you can kill filthy pagans.

Need to wait a couple o centuries for em to show up.

So they Offa'd the Lord of Mercia then? Get it eh eh?

I'll get me coat.
Vikings discovered England near the end of Mercia's existence. One of the Northumbrian kings killed the legendary Ragnar.
The story of King Artus falls in the the time of 510-540 and he fought against the saxons. And the saxons were in this times pagans and can be quite compared to the vikings, because they came from northern germany and southern denmark. Sir Thomas Malory and other sources calls Artus the King of England, but this is only because they knew not the history of England, before the invasion of the Angles and saxons. If Artus was a King then probably he was a King of Logres which was a celtic kingdom inhabited by the christian cymri. But i just wanted to say that yes you should have the task to fight against pagans who are close relatives to the vikings.

Darkzone

Arcane
If Artus was a King then probably he was a King of Logres which was a celtic kingdom inhabited by the christian cymri
I'm not sure if Logres was an actual post-Roman kingdom.
This is very complicated and i wish i could state that i'm sure that it didn't existed, but actually if it ever existed it was a short lived Sub-Roman (410-597) kingdom or alliance. Logres is a latinised welsh medieval word (Lloegyr) for the lands and people who actually were not Cymry (they made the distinction) and it could mean border people or region or people at the border or warrior. In the traditional view of the welsh Lloegyr are the regions that are not welsh, but Mercia (former coreland above the line betwwn the Humber Estuary and the Severn Estualy) and Cornwall and Devon are also not included. The problem is that we have very few writen witness accounts of this time and people in the great britain. We have only Galidas (around 540 but could be also around 520-530) and and from Saint Patrick (here is a great uncertainty 'Two Patricks' theory died either in 460 or 492 or 540 or both are different people). The Welsh are a mix of local Cyrmry and Cymry and Romano-Britons that have fled from invading Saxons, Jutens and Angles, that could mean that they have given name or have taken the name from a Cymry - Romano-Briton alliance against the saxons ( i will group the three tribes here ).
King Artus is accredited of winning the Battle of Mount Badon (Cad Mynydd Baddon) in 493-500 and this time falls exactly in the time space where we have a large amount of uncertainty about this region. In the story of King Artus Logres exists through the time of his live. It is united under him as he is declared the king and falls appart after his death, and exactly this is quite possible, especially in the view that the conquest of britan by the saxons is halted for over 100 years before it is continued in 611.
So in other words King Artus could have existed and has won the battle of Badon around 495 after which he was declared King of Cymri and Romano-Brittons and he died around 520 before Galidas could have wittnessed him and his kingdom and therefore his lacks specification of the Britons in specific regions.
But from a traditional historical view i say that King Artus is a fictional character ruling over a fictional kindom and i have just repeated the historical fiction from Historia Brittonum and Geoffrey Histria Regnum Britanniae. And yes im a fan and long time player of the Pendragon RPG 3rd and 4th edition.

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
but Mercia (former coreland above the line betwwn the Humber Estuary and the Severn Estualy) and Cornwall and Devon are also not included

The interesting thing is that it corresponds quite well to the area of Britain under the heaviest Roman influence.

Darkzone

Arcane
but Mercia (former coreland above the line betwwn the Humber Estuary and the Severn Estualy) and Cornwall and Devon are also not included
The interesting thing is that it corresponds quite well to the area of Britain under the heaviest Roman influence.
For me it is even more interesting that this is also the region that was quite different from the other regions, even before the Romans. Before the Roman invasion (43) it was an region of the coin minting Celts and perhaps it already had a strong connection (cultural and economic) to the continental Celts even before they were conquered by Julius Ceasar. And while we lack any source indicating a pre medieval use of the name Logres, this makes it quite possible that it is older. Either way they were already more advanced than the Cymry in northern and western region and that begs many questions.

mondblut

Arcane
We need a dildopunk game. Everything being built from, or powered with, giant dildos. Dildo weapons, dildo armor, dildo houses, dildo ships, dildo everything. Dildopunk!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We need a dildopunk game. Everything being built from, or powered with, giant dildos. Dildo weapons, dildo armor, dildo houses, dildo ships, dildo everything. Dildopunk!
I visited such a place in Germany.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
this makes it quite possible that it is older

Yes, but it also makes it not possible; the sociopolitical shakeups caused by the arrival and the departure of the Romans probably lead to the loss of toponyms and the formation of new ones.

Darkzone

Arcane
this makes it quite possible that it is older

Yes, but it also makes it not possible; the sociopolitical shakeups caused by the arrival and the departure of the Romans probably lead to the loss of toponyms and the formation of new ones.
Normally i would agree, but Logres is the latinised welsh word of Lloegyr. And the Welsh didn't experienced a very high romanisation, like the Logres parts of Britania.
We mostly think that the Saxons fought the Cymri, but most of the Logres part of Britania was highly romanised. And even throughout the 6th century the roman lifestyle (Latifundia) was preserved by the Romano-Britons.

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
We mostly think that the Saxons fought the Cymri, but most of the Logres part of Britania was highly romanised. And even throughout the 6th century the roman lifestyle (Latifundia) was preserved by the Romano-Britons.

If it was more Romanised, that would have increased the resulting shakeup.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.team17.com/sword-legacy-omen-dev-blog-1-strategy-rpgs/

Sword Legacy: Omen Dev Blog 1 – Strategy RPGs

Hello there, tacticians! I’m Arthur Protasio, narrative director for Sword Legacy: Omen.

As you’ve probably noticed, Sword Legacy: Omen is a turn-based tactical RPG. Therefore, for this inaugural developer blog post we’re going to talk about why we chose the strategy genre and what great inspirations motivated the team to head in this direction.

Strategy games have always drawn our attention because we all love the thrill of a good challenge. The genre is known for driving players to plan ahead, but also requiring them to improvise. Thankfully, this is also the sort of experience where you often find a great story, character development and twists. Our favorite games in the genre are the ones which combine tactics and story so well.

The success of The Banner Saga’s Kickstarter campaign in 2012 made it clear there was room for indie turn-based strategy games – not just big AAA titles. With this in mind, and inspired by other hits of the genre like XCOM or Shadowrun, we decided to tread this road and create a challenging, yet immersive experience of our own. Thus, work on Sword Legacy: Omen began in 2014.

Arthur-Shield-bash-of-bridge.mp4_.00_00_48_56.Still001.jpg

Rodrigo Correa (Creative Director) remembers…
“We’ve been passionate about turn-based strategy games since Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre and other games of the genre we used to play as children. However, we felt many titles on the market didn’t go much beyond the ranged combat of XCOM or Shadowrun. We missed features such as mechanics dealing with the stress heroes had to endure during combat and a unique visual style.”

As we near the release of Sword Legacy: Omen, we thought it would be insightful (and fun!) to look back at some of the great games in the Strategy RPG genre which inspired us. If you also enjoyed these games then we definitely think you’ll have a good time with our game!

• The Banner Saga
The Banner Saga has a very particular, appealing art style, which is western and unlike the anime visuals of JRPGs. Our aesthetic is totally inspired by classic Disney animations from the 1950s and 60s, but we made sure to apply a twist. Same thing when it comes to the story. Banner Saga has an epic tale and we too, but instead of delving into the viking world, we decided to put a spin on the famous King Arthur mythos.

• XCOM
In both the classic XCOM and its remake, we loved the tension of going into combat and never really being sure if we’d come out unscathed… Or alive. We also incorporated the Overwatch system into our combat – which works great with ranged combat; however, in the case of a medieval game full of melee attacks, it’s not always the best option. Use it wisely!

• Darkest Dungeon
What we learned the most from Darkest Dungeon was the stress system and how to apply the effects of fear into the game mechanics. Sword Legacy’s stress system is a mix of Banner Saga’s Willpower with XCOM’s and Darkest Dungeon’s panic mechanics.

• Shadowrun: Returns
Shadowrun doesn’t just tell a great story, it also demonstrates a great freedom to explore scenarios. Similarly, Sword Legacy: Omen has an exploration mode which allows players to freely roam about levels, but then changes into a turn-based mode when combat is initiated.

• Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Tactics is a true classic – and a great example of how to tell a mature story through a strategy game with a cute art style. This game survived the test of time and revealed to us the potential of telling a good story through challenging combat.

Luther Schmidt (3D Artist) tells us how all these influences come together…
“As we approached some ideas, we tried to create a balance between the familiar and the new. Something different, but also respectful of traditional turn-based games. Mixing concepts such as the exploration from Shadowrun with the close combat present in the Banner Saga or allowing Willpower to control a character’s stress meter led to a unique approach. We managed to build upon features from other games, as is the case with the stress systems from XCOM and Darkest Dungeon, to reach a unique outcome.”

Merlin-flame-wall-01.mp4_.00_00_15_29.Still001.jpg

That’s all for today, folks (and faye)! I hope you’ve enjoyed this look at the games that inspired Sword Legacy: Omen. What are some of your favorite Strategy RPGs? We’d love to know! Why not hop over to the Steam forum or our Discord channel and tell us?

I’m Arthur Protasio, narrative director for Sword Legacy: Omen.

I wonder if his farther's name is Uther.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like perpetual delaying cycle is over: https://www.team17.com/sword-legacy-omen-releases-13th-august-2018/sword-legacy-omen/

Sword Legacy: Omen releases 13th August 2018!

The day is almost upon us! Uther and his band of wizards and warriors will finally embark on their quest across Broken Britannia from 13th August 2018 in Sword Legacy: Omen!

Coming exclusively to Steam, Sword Legacy: Omen is a brand new tactical RPG, featuring a potent combination of strategic battles, deep character customisation, epic exploration all told through the lens of a dark twist on Arthurian legend.

For more detail on what you can expect from the game, check out this overview video directly from the developer…

Sword Legacy: Omen releases exclusively on Steam on 13th August for £14.99 or as a Digital Deluxe Edition, featuring a downloadable soundtrack and a 71-page digital artbook for £19.49. For more updates, make sure to follow and wishlist the game right here.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Damn that voice in the developer intro had me reach for the mute button at lightspeed. Game looks decent enough though.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Circuit

it's an entertaining movie, but it's to the punk scene what something like that mark wahlberg movie 'rock star' was to 80s popular rock bands...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom