Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SWTOR post-mortem

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
But you've got to be willing to play along with their intention though, that of providing the illusion that you're speshul. If you're not willing, you're not doing it right.

I really want to like this game. It does a lot of the Star Wars things right, if only being atmospheric in their effect. I like the concept of having your own ship, your own crew, and your own "destiny" in the game. Overall, I feel it can work, someday.

But BioWare clearly bit off more than they could chew. The technical problems are so far reaching as to be probably irresolvable. Endgame mechanics, from what I'm reading, look like they're typical in being interest-killing. There seems to be no economy to the game, so far as I can tell. And the entire premise of the game, the thing that's suppose to separate it from the pack -- its arching and personally-tuned storyline -- wears out its shine quickly unless you're willing to absolutely grind your way through and to it. I'm going to stick with it, keeping my sub active for now, but I think they're going to need to pump a couple million more into the game's budget and its upkeep to keep afloat. Some big overhauls are direly needed.

Not sure if I'm willing to wait that long.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Meh it's really just a passable single player RPG in MMO form. No point in doing anything but rolling new alts to see the storyline.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It must feel special sharing the Darth title with all the other 10,000 Sith Warriors.

It does when you're alone in a cut-scene and the NPCs are referring to you as Emperor's Wrath and obey your orders to kill or spare other NPCs due to you being a representative of the Emperor.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Meh it's really just a passable single player RPG in MMO form. No point in doing anything but rolling new alts to see the storyline.

This.

A single-player game with a subscription fee and content stored on an online server. This is like that thing someone was talking about.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
On the other hand, you can finish one character within the first month so no one is telling you to resubscribe. And the 8 storylines are pretty distinct, giving you unique content on replay.

On the other other hand (foot?), every playthrough is going to be plagued by the same MMO trash mobs to wade through from 1 to 50.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Jennifer Hepler as writer.

I think this alone explains everything anyone needs to know to have an idea of what to expect of the quality of writing and the why of such quality in this PoS that already went total EA sheeple scamming with its unsubscribe button removed from the beta as a "glitch" to force all beta-testers to pay for it.
Fuck, the TOR team isn't even Bioware, as we know them. They are Mythic with the Bioware label whacked on them. And yet Mythic's writers are now sounding exactly like Bioware's writers. That can only be caused by topdown demands.
Just wanted to let you know there are a few exceptions here. TOR has James Ohlen (longtime Bioware designer since Shattered Steel) as a lead designer, Georg Zoeller (systems lead from DA:O) as lead combat designer, and Drew Karpyshyn, Daniel Erickson, Mary Kirby, and Chris and Jennifer Hepler as writers (though a lot of new people too, I got the list from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320395/fullcredits). There are likely others.

Jennifer Hepler. Fuck that explains a lot.
Eh, I don't know why you two are scapegoating her. She just wrote the level 20+ Smuggler quests. Daniel Erickson, the lead writer? He was responsible for the city elf origin in DA:O ("Grab a whore and have a good time!") and he's actually proud of it. Then you have Drew "terrible tie-in novelist/Knights of the Old Republic/Mass Effect" Karpyshyn. I mean there's plenty of blame to spread around here.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Can't speak for the stuff Hepler wrote since smuggler VA and dialogue was so painful I abandoned it within 3 levels. But the IA storyline was actually pretty good. Bear in mind that it's 100% linear and railroaded as fuck to conform to the WoW carbon copy game mechanics. It's pretty clear the story writer was told "you go to planets x, y, z at levels a-b, c-d, e-f etc. The secondary plot for planet x is foo, for y it's bar, for z it quux. You get your ship after this planet. You get new companions here, here and here. Now make it feel starwarsy". But he actually managed to pull off a somewhat compelling story that manages to feel like it's starwarsy, pulls off a couple of appropriate twists and has a pretty satisfying ending. It's not great prose by any stretch of the definition. But it is quite enjoyable pulp fiction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom