Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline Syberia 3

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Keshik, Nov 27, 2012.

1. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Walking speed is much faster now.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. I'm With Her Morgoth for prison Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    I started playing this and despite the glitchy technical nature of it, it's still as charming and quaint as its predecessors.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. I'm With Her Morgoth for prison Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    I've finished this yesterday night, and this game truly is an embodiment of it's long and troublesome development.

Random thoughts, good and bad stuff:

-Kate Walker is kind and endearing and carries the whole game.
    -Game is technically clunky, but oozes with atmo and charm.
    -Point-and-click controls (introduced with new patch) are adequate enough, but still a bit wonky with a bitchy camera. Nothing a seasoned adventure gamer can't deal with though.
    -Too much backtracking.
    -High variance in location and art quality: Generally, the later Soviet stuff can be truly breathtaking in terms of architecture and vistas. Walking around in the metro or the hazardous sections of the ghost city of Baranour gives you the chills. Some other stuff though like Valseborg or the Krystal ship feels empty and boring.
    -Puzzles: Obviously, that's the meat of the game and again the quality varies a lot. Generally they're easy and logical enough, with only a few of them sticking out as genuinely fun and creative.
    -Characters: Well Kate's the star here. There's also Oscar, who only gets his limelight in one section (where you control him directly). There's also Kurk, a true hobbit gentleman. The rest of the cast range from mediocre, annoying to superficial. The bad guys' agenda was never explained (lol bad Russkies). The Shaman lady is a retard.
    -Story: I dunno, it's the little moments when Kate uses her wit and charm that truly shine. The Youkols do find resolution in the ending, but for Kate it ends in a cliffhanger. Rather disappointing as it felt very rushed, but it opens space for a sequel*.
    -VO: Huge variance in quality. Obviously they didn't have much budget for voice overs, so I can say that only Kate and Oscar do a professional job, the rest is really tragicomedy-bad. Not a deal-breaker, but still a shame. Perhaps the French dubbing is better? You can actually switch languages on the fly.
    -Music and soundscape: Top-notch. Inon Zur did a great job with the soundtrack.

Overall, this is a quaint and clunky sequel still very faithful to the franchise. If you are a fan, you probably want to play this with a 50% discount. It's not as good and cohesive as Syberia 1, but still worth your time if you allow yourself to surrender to the fantasy of Syberia. If you look for realism or a challenge, look somewhere else.

I, for one, am actually looking forward for more.

*Benoit Sokal did mention in this interview that he's creating a story for Syberia 4.
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/295079/QA_Benoit_Sokal_on_Syberia_and_his_comics_career.php

There's also this (light spoiler):

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog::yeah::shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 2:03 PM
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)