Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Syberia 3

Keshik

Arcane
Looks like Syberia 3 is in development (well, for real this time, maybe) - out around 2015 or so.

Montreuil, 26 November 2012. A few days before the "Game Connection Europe", French software publisher Anuman Interactive has announced a deal with author Benoit Sokal and confirmed that the game "Syberia III" (to be marketed under the Microïds label) will be created.More than three years after acquiring Microïds and few days after unveiling the future "Dracula: the Shadow of the Dragon", software publisher Anuman Interactive has announced a piece of news that video game enthusiasts have been eagerly awaiting: the "Syberia III" project is underway, with Benoit Sokal (who wrote the first two Syberia) and Elliot Grassiano (the founder of Microïds) heading it up.

Benoit Sokal has just signed a deal with Anuman Interactive to write the script of "Syberia III" for 2013, while Elliot Grassiano (who founded Microïds in 1985 and made the company famous worldwide) will oversee, as Vice President of Microïds Unit, the development of new publications under the Microïds label.

Anuman Interactive has taken yet another step forward in its determination to become one of the main international names in adventure games.“After two long years of waiting for the fans, with Benoit writing the script and Elliot joining our team, “Syberia” has truly entered its production phase. With its incredible feel and the sheer quality of the game, Syberia has carved out a special place for itself in gamers’ hearts. They are more than ever expecting the next instalment. Today, fans of the series and adventure games enthusiasts have at last been rewarded for the patience,” says Anuman’s General Manager, Stéphane Longeard.

Benoit Sokal, who is working as Artistic Director on the Syberia saga, adds : “I’m very pleased to be creating another Kate Walker adventure and working with Anuman Interactive’s teams on the project. I created the first two episodes of Syberia with Elliot, so I’m also really happy to be able to create this new one with him and illustrate the evolution of Anuman as a significant player in the adventure games industry.

"Syberia III" is a multiplatform game scheduled for release in 2014-2015.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/micro...irm-syberia-iii-is-on-its-way/537531446274188

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
"Syberia III" is a multiplatform game

Oh well. Shit Adventure game is shit.

The first Syberia was pure awesome <3

Looks like Syberia 3 is in development (well, for real this time, maybe) - out around 2015 or so.

Montreuil, 26 November 2012. A few days before the "Game Connection Europe", French software publisher Anuman Interactive has announced a deal with author Benoit Sokal and confirmed that the game "Syberia III" (to be marketed under the Microïds label) will be created.More than three years after acquiring Microïds and few days after unveiling the future "Dracula: the Shadow of the Dragon", software publisher Anuman Interactive has announced a piece of news that video game enthusiasts have been eagerly awaiting: the "Syberia III" project is underway, with Benoit Sokal (who wrote the first two Syberia) and Elliot Grassiano (the founder of Microïds) heading it up.

Benoit Sokal has just signed a deal with Anuman Interactive to write the script of "Syberia III" for 2013, while Elliot Grassiano (who founded Microïds in 1985 and made the company famous worldwide) will oversee, as Vice President of Microïds Unit, the development of new publications under the Microïds label.

Anuman Interactive has taken yet another step forward in its determination to become one of the main international names in adventure games.“After two long years of waiting for the fans, with Benoit writing the script and Elliot joining our team, “Syberia” has truly entered its production phase. With its incredible feel and the sheer quality of the game, Syberia has carved out a special place for itself in gamers’ hearts. They are more than ever expecting the next instalment. Today, fans of the series and adventure games enthusiasts have at last been rewarded for the patience,” says Anuman’s General Manager, Stéphane Longeard.

Benoit Sokal, who is working as Artistic Director on the Syberia saga, adds : “I’m very pleased to be creating another Kate Walker adventure and working with Anuman Interactive’s teams on the project. I created the first two episodes of Syberia with Elliot, so I’m also really happy to be able to create this new one with him and illustrate the evolution of Anuman as a significant player in the adventure games industry.

"Syberia III" is a multiplatform game scheduled for release in 2014-2015.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/microïds-official/anuman-interactive-and-benoit-sokal-confirm-syberia-iii-is-on-its-way/537531446274188

Thanks. I'm carefully waiting for this. I did like especially the Syberia 1.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
As long as they don't turn this into a fucking 3D abomination like Dreamfall, this could be good. Will fap cautiously until I hear more.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
As long as they don't turn this into a fucking 3D abomination like Dreamfall, this could be good. Will fap cautiously until I hear more.
Both Syberias were 3D already. Are you feeling ok?

gromit

Arcane
The problem with Dreamfall was less "3d" and more "abomination." The environments were one of the game's redeeming qualities. In that vein, I'll fix the original quote...
As long as they don't add combat nobody wants, and largely strip the game of its puzzles

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Both Syberias were 3D already. Are you feeling ok?
There's a pretty big difference between rendered 2d with 3d characters (Syberia, Grim Fandango, and such) and real-time 3d (Gabriel Knight 3, Simon the Sorcerer 3d, Broken Sword 3-5, Dreamfall, etc.). For whatever reason the former tends to be awesome, while the latter are almost without exception awful, particularly relative to their predecessors.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Not sure how I feel about this.

I liked Syberia 1 a lot, even though it was a little rough around the edges. Syberia 2 though...I hate using this argument, because it's so meaningless, but something didn't feel right. I've never been able to figure out what turned me off of it.

gromit

Arcane
I just remembered "Paradise" exists, and was even on my hard drive for a couple of days. I'm... less excited than I was just before that.

There was some modern adventure game set in Africa or India, forgot the name; stopped playing it after having to check a walkthrough... in order to make nightfall come, so I could go to bed (the current "puzzle.") Turns out you have to walk halfway down a screen that leads only to a previously-collected item and a clearly still-blocked door, so a fucking "oh look, it's nightfall now" cutscene can play. Yes, okay, any 'classic' adventure game had the potential for lots of aimless wandering, but it was as a means to an end, not the literal solution to one of its puzzles, preceded by a pixel-hunt, a couple myst-style 'play with this weird thing' puzzles, and one or two other cases of "time to visit this previously featureless screen / click this previously unclickable object," all followed by a "jungle cat eats birds in the zoo" minigame that ran at 0-2 fps on my 9800 because they dropped out the purty Sokal stuff for for nothin-special 3d graphics and didn't optimize.
What an asshole move.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Paradise was a pretty mediocre Syberia clone; interesting setting wasted by lame story, characters and puzzles. And the ending was just insulting.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Great. More bad writing with irrelevant myst type puzzles scattered around.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Finally played the first two games -- the first one was pretty great, the second was decent and I liked the ending (if abrupt). Pretty shocking amount of backgrounds/locations, and lots of little animations and visual details everywhere... you don't see that much anymore, almost helped make up for the lack of look descriptions. Abysmal one-note pacing/traversal. Didn't really love the emphasis on easy, trigger-the-next-event based puzzles, but the writing/voice-acting seemed decent.

Someone translated a recent interview:
Interviewer: I'm not sure whether it's possible to get some detailed information about the upcoming game, like place of action, meeting with characters from the previous parts...

Sokal: It's a secret. I won't say a word (joking)
There'll be Kate Walker, possibly Oscar; the familiar Russian environment will remain. But this time it's the imagery of Chernobyl that fascinate me. Not the real city, again, it's going to be half-fictional.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I wonder how bringing Oscar back is going to work. He was dismantled and Voralberg rode away with what remained of his body.

CrisGer

Literate
I agree about Syberia I, for once they used the rather odd and occasionally wonderful computer format and abilty to create a hauntingly mysterious marvelous montage....and it worked. The ghosts of the past lived so well in the art style and game story. Kate is an awesome non heroine and worked well too. What went wrong with Syberia II i dont knkow but it didnt feel right ot me either, too much like it was looking over its shoulder saying constantly....'how am I doing? am i as good as the first one..." and that creepy runt that she was chasing..he was no hero or heoric figure to believe in.

i will hope

btw, Dreamfall is pretty cool in spots but i agree it was lame in spots too.... you have to reverse the X and Y controls at outset or you go mad trying to control Zoe...sadly the new Zoe will be a punk politically correct ethnic pastiche..and i am sad to see that but back to the topic, yes I am looking forward to Master S's latest. The haunting image of the deserted realm of radiation modern is a bit weird but maybe it will work but yes Oscar is gone gone gone.... unlese he cloned himself. we will see.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Syberia 2 was less poignant than the first because there was no more mystery after you found and teamed up with Voralberg, plus Kate didn't change throughout the journey anymore like she did in the first game. It hinges on one big emotional moment when Oscar is dismantled, but it feels forced and completely unnecessary.

Locations were not interesting in Syberia 2 either, basically just all snow and ice. And once you finally reach Syberia, the game is over very quickly.

CrisGer

Literate
Well summarized indeed, thanks ... the journey idea had worked but there should have been something equal the wonderful start locations to finish it all with. Still a remarkable series and some fine moments ...and very haunting locations and events.

Boleskine

Arcane
http://www.syberia.microids.com/EN/news/first-syberia-3-screenshots-revealed,44

Syberia3_screen1_WIP.jpg

Syberia3_screen3_WIP.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom