Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Syrian Warfare - Destructive environment is not Dead?

Moose23

Novice
It looks like this just got pulled from Steam. It'll be interesting to hear the reasoning why, but I haven't been able to dig anything up.

Moink

Cipher
Game seems to be removed from steam now, anyone have any idea why?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Probably someone took offense. Reading their Steam forum now.

God forbid someone makes a game out of a current thing, movies are okay though.

It's kind of late (or early) now in Moscow, so we'll probably won't get any news until a few hours from now, but yes, a few hours ago the game was available, it's gone now. The usual troll is still running his mouth in the game's forums, though.

Looks like the same PC kneejerk reaction that took Hatred (an otherwise unremarkable game) off the store for a couple of days. I sure hope the person responsible for this will be at the very least fired. Or beaten in the soles with a rubber hose.

Severian Silk

Problem with war games about recent conflicts is that people who play them tend to want more war. Generally not as big a problem with WWII games since it was so long ago.

Problem with war games about recent conflicts is that people who play them tend to want more war. Generally not as big a problem with WWII games since it was so long ago.

Hmmm, I don't see how that's a problem, or any relation to the game, the topic or the game going off the store, for that matter.

I mean, HRC wanted more war and I don't think she played anything beyond Bejewelled.

I think you need to chill out and listen to some music. Here:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The main problem for me is that a game about an ongoing conflict is making said conflict "fun" for the people that play it ,which is definitely not the image this conflict has for millions of people in the same time, somewhere else.

Now to go as far as to remove the game and so on... That just gives them more press if anything.

Ranarama

Learned
What is the point of simulating the Syrian conflict if I can't play the Russians and bomb the shit out of hospitals, play as ISIS or use Chemical weapons as the Syrian Army.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Wargamer.com published an interview of the devs:

WAR & REALISM: AN INTERVIEW WITH THE CREATORS OF SYRIAN WARFARE
BY SEAN COUTURE 28 FEB 2017 3
One of the more potentially controversial elements of our recent Wargamer’s Guide to 2017, we sent intrepid reporter Sean to have a nice chat with the guys behind the recently released Strategy/Wargame Syrian Warfare. Project Leader Dmitry Babkin, from Cats Who Play, was kind enough to spare some time to answer our questions.

Wargamer: So to start with the major question on a lot of people’s minds. Why did you choose the current Syrian conflict as the setting for your game? Are you afraid some people might label it as exploitative or inappropriate?

Dmitry Bakin: Russia directly participates in this war. Many Russian soldiers show heroism and valor while fighting the modern Evil: terrorism and its various manifestations, such as ISIS and Al-Nusra Front (the Syrian branch of Al-Qaeda). That’s why this war is psychologically close to us. Some film coverage, some make video clips and documentaries, some compose music. We decided to show the war through the lens of what we do best - videogames. When you watch coverage you feel the distance between you and what’s happening on the screen. In games the immersion is deeper, the level of involvement higher. To reinforce that effect, the game’s story is told not through a general or ruler, but through an ordinary man, a former Syrian policeman, who ended up in the thick of historic action.

ResizedImage820461-ss-51336be73801618641e71b01f4b9ed2956c77ecc.1920x1080.jpg

Wargamer: Could you tell us a bit about your studio and your prior work?

Dmitry Babkin: The studio was founded back in 2006, and initially worked on games for children: Three Heroes, The Cat!, Porfirio’s Adventure, etc. The studio’s core was formed of people who hailed from another Russian gamedev studio, MiST Land, well-known in Russia for its hardcore tactical games: Alfa: Antiterror and Warfare. In fact, the latter was used as a basis for the current project.

Wargamer: In the description for Syrian Warfare you mention how it’ll be the story of “one man” caught up in the war. Could you elaborate on that? For instance is it hand crafted or more like an RPG where players shape the story as they play?

Dmitry Babkin: It was always important for us to tell a story. In the original Warfare we tried to spice up the gameplay with personal war diaries, soldier letters, secondary story threads during missions, and it worked great. This engaged a lot of people, helping them feel involved in what’s happening on the screen. Now we intend to focus on the fate and experiences of an ordinary man. This is real war. It’s not just “serious” - it’s an all-encompassing situation in life. The last thing we want is for the player to just select his soldiers and send them to their deaths. It was once thought that FPS games are mindless “run-and-gun” games, but with the release of Half-Life that view was turned upside down - it demonstrated that a videogame can have a good, interesting plot that immerses the player. We’re trying to make the plot of our game the cornerstone of gameplay instead of just some text to fill the blanks between missions. We’re trying to make the characters feel humane, not just because of their unique abilities, but because a significant period in their life passes in front of our eyes, and we take part in it. This makes you play differently. You’re not being careful with your tank because you’re afraid to use a powerful unit - it’s because “Uncle Mansur, a simple good person” is part of its crew. The last time, as we think, we’ve found the perfect middle ground between hardcore wargame realism and the conventions of RTSes oriented at the masses. Now we want to improve the “psychological realism”, and that directly affects how the player behaves on the battlefield. That’s why it’s a story, that’s why it’s an ordinary person’s view on war.

ResizedImage820461-ss-aa0e68885a0d44f053107611929f29ce2f8e7eee.1920x1080.jpg

Wargamer: The Syrian Civil War is a conflict renown for the thousands of civilians who have been caught in the crossfire. Do you plan on representing these civilians in-game? And why did you come to this decision?

Dmitry Babkin: We have a mission in the Damascus suburbs, where stuck in the ruins of a years-long war there are still civilians remaining, and the player can rescue them by evacuating them from the warzone. It’s not as easy as it sounds, though, sometimes instead of civilians you’ll find disguised suicide bombers, and some civilians the enemy might use for frame ups. Why did we include civilians in the game? We’re trying to represent aspects of modern warfare - including, as we mentioned, the psychological aspect. If instead of sterile city ruins you have former resident buildings, some of which are still inhabited, you’re limited in the use of heavy weaponry, air support, you have to think before using them. It’s a moral dilemma for the player. We’re not trying to make the player’s life easier in that regard. Yes, many games intentionally avoid this side of the matter, and as a result we play in empty, spotless cities. That creates the false impression that war is something easy and triumphant. We’ve decided to paint war in a different light.

Wargamer: Your steam page mentions realistic armour models and destruction physics. In your opinion how will this affect players’ strategies and how they play the game?

Dmitry Babkin: Each tank (and all other vehicles) is broken up into a few different modules. The turret, the crew compartment, the engine, etc. Modules are protected by armor, which varies by vehicle side and type of damage it takes. Each piece of armour has three main thresholds which determine what caliber and kind of damage (HEAT, HE, frag, etc) can’t affect it at all, what makes the armor deteriorate and what just pierces it outright. It’s all displayed in the vehicle’s info panel. I will not write down the actual characteristics here, you’ll figure it out when you play - everything will be explained when you hover your cursor over the vehicle.

There are many different scenarios possible when a vehicle is damaged. In the worst case, the vehicle is destroyed outright. It happens, albeit rarely. Other times, the damage might kill a crew member or damage a module instead of making the tank go out of order. Damaged modules perform worse or not at all. You can’t drive around with a damaged engine or without a driver; a damaged gun will be less accurate.

ResizedImage820461-ss-74b9916de400bd66993faddcb7fc013cc7871a5f.1920x1080.jpg

A hit might not penetrate armour and instead just damage it. Often a vehicle with armour destroyed on one of its sides will still perform well; the player just has to keep in mind that the next RPG hit from that direction might be fatal. A vehicle might catch on fire when hit, forcing the crew to exit it. After the fire dies down, the crew can reenter the vehicle and after a quick field repair it’ll be back in order. Repairing requires spare parts, which is one of the three main vehicle resources - along with fuel and ammo storage.

There are three types of buildings, differing by their resistance to damage and bonuses to offense and defense for the infantry inside. While a HE shell striking a strong building will at worst make a hole and destroy one of its firing points, the same projectile hitting a weak building might bury the squad inside in debris. The destructibility of other objects affects tactics to a lesser degree. For example, a fence destroyed by a vehicle or an explosion will let infantry run straight through the gap instead of going around or climbing over.

Wargamer: Will there be multiple sides/factions to play in Syrian Warfare?

Dmitry Babkin: You can only play against terrorists. The game starts in 2012, when the main hero isn’t a fighter, just a simple policeman in one of Aleppo province’s villages. The plot is his life’s journey.

Wargamer: Did you take inspiration from any other existing strategy titles whilst working on Syrian Warfare?

Dmitry Babkin: The main inspirations for us were documentary films from the places where the events took place. In regards to strategy titles that affected the game’s mechanics in some way, there are several: however strange that sounds, primarily the old fantasy game Warhammer: Dark Omen, as well as Close Combat, Combat Mission, Sudden Strike and a bit of Company of Heroes.

ResizedImage820461-ss-c0ec90da42332461bec5b80e07ad75ae22ccd6c9.1920x1080.jpg

Wargamer: Regarding missions and their structure. Will the campaign be linear or a branching path and what varieties can players expect?

Dmitry Babkin: The campaign is short in terms of mission quantity, but each mission is rather extensive. We briefly display the beginning of the war in 2012, and then move on to the summer of 2015, when it seemed that Damascus will fall within mere days. The game ends with the first assault on Palmyra (the Caliphate has temporarily captured the ancient city again). The campaign is currently linear. We understand that the theme of the game is controversial, so we’ll gauge the players’ reactions carefully. If they’re positive, we’ll continue developing the game, adding more missions, allowing the creation of your own missions, we’ll add multiplayer.

Wargamer: With there being no base building to speak of describe how do players choose their forces either in or before missions and how do things like captured affect this?

Dmitry Babkin: Except for the beginning of the game, at the beginning of some missions the player will be allowed to assemble his own battle team, using his accumulated Command Points. Command Points are awarded for completing main and secondary objectives during the missions. At key points during the missions, you’ll be able to summon reinforcements, also using CPs. Squads carry over from mission to mission, accumulating experience, improving their abilities. As such, evacuating the crews of damaged vehicles from the battlefield is important, at the very least because an experienced crew in an old tank is much better than a newbie crew in a modern one. The type of quantity of reinforcements being summoned is pre-set, but the actual composition depends on the player. For example, the player can summon 1 tank, 8 infantry squads and 2 light vehicles. The player selects which tanks and squads he takes. You can pick assault squads or opt for snipers and mortar squads instead. You can take a bunch of gun trucks or supply vehicles instead. The game lets you experiment with different tactics. There’s no universal way to win. Based on how well the project does, we plan to add new game modes (skirmish, multiplayer), the ability to create user modifications etc.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Yup, exactly the first paragraph shows why the whole game idea is wrong basically. The obviously one sided point of view that depicts one side as heroes and the other one as evil terrorists in an ongoing conflict is , to say the least, problematic.

And don't bust my balls, I'm not taking sides, for all I know both have committed extreme attrocities. The worst part is that no one knows what exactly happens there... Well except that there are thousands dying.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
It is a shame, because they could easily have avoided this trap and tried to have a less "patriotic" view of the conflict.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Yup, exactly the first paragraph shows why the whole game idea is wrong basically. The obviously one sided point of view that depicts one side as heroes and the other one as evil terrorists in an ongoing conflict is , to say the least, problematic.

And don't bust my balls, I'm not taking sides, for all I know both have committed extreme attrocities. The worst part is that no one knows what exactly happens there... Well except that there are thousands dying.

This leaves me pretty much cold, honestly, as US propaganda is all-pervasive and one has to learn to live with it. It's not whataboutism, but consider that I'm not American so US propaganda is pretty much at the same level as this for me. Propaganda can be enjoyed with a critical mindset, and evaluated for its own artistic (or the case of a game, gameplay-related) values. The game is fun? Good then, it's a good game with a Russian propaganda bent. It' not like I can't enjoy Aleksandr Nevskij or Soviet movies because they are propaganda, or American counter propaganda movies ( The Beast is hilarious in retrospective but it's still one of my favourite movies).

Plus, you truly used "problematic"?

Norfleet

Doesn't just about EVERY video game tend to do this? You are the good guys, the other guys are faceless evil bad guys.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Doesn't just about EVERY video game tend to do this? You are the good guys, the other guys are faceless evil bad guys.
Wargames usually don't. Especially WW2 wargames, who make great effort to sidestep the political issues.
You have an objectives, some forces to do it, and that's it.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Wargames usually don't. Especially WW2 wargames, who make great effort to sidestep the political issues.

Yeh, like WinSPMBT adding contemporary units but keepin' it very "neutral" and "wargamey". By personal experience, I know that many are quite unnerved by touchy subjects like contemporary warfare and its depictions (it's somewhat worse on the tabletop, where you can find people that flat out refuse to play anything set after WW2). Again, I don't have particularly strong feelings on the Syrian situation (it's a mess) so I'm rather curious how IN UR FACE the thing is. Russian movies are usually so unsubtle to be painful, but again, I don't think the game should be judged because it has a precise political message.

After all, I hate

Company-of-Heroes-2-Logo.jpg

this, because it's a shit game, not because it would have made Goebbels proud (and yes, CoH2 is so IN UR FACE to be considered propaganda of sorts).

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Need I repeat that we are talking about an ongoing conflict? Yes games do these stuff and US companies even more but at least they create propaganda for previous conflicts.

Also what's wrong with "problematic"?

Dayyālu

Arcane
Need I repeat that we are talking about an ongoing conflict? Yes games do these stuff and US companies even more but at least they create propaganda for previous conflicts.

What's the matter if this is ongoing? Poor taste? Wargaming and shooters in the Middle East are\were completely common. In the first Soldier of Fortune you mauled dozens of Iraqis, in CoDs you blast through hundreds of sand people and Russians.

latest

This could also be considered propaganda, even if less .... childish than a game named "Syrian Warfare".

I haven't played this game (got a torrent, but torrents of Russkie games cause me to start having seizures in fear) but it seems rather blunt as propaganda. "We're good guys the others are terrorists, yeehh". Nothing different from what I see from RussiaToday, or from what I read from US military memoirs. Sure, US propaganda is subtler and more effective, avoiding such.... manichean pitfalls, but again, Russia is a far poorer country with a considerably less developed tech sector.

"Problematic" has been misused so many times for fake problems (everything is "problematic" thanks to sex\race\gender issues) that I find difficult to take it seriously.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Oh I see. English are not my nativ language, I found problematic "fitting" just because I don't really think the problem is propaganda per se (even if there is quite some in there) but ,for me, the lack of sensibility for such a conflict.

They obviously seem to think it's not even a war rather than a heroic act of the Russian forces. I find the whole thing too much, what can I say. In the same time you see dismembered corpses in the news, you can also "play" that.

In any case I'm not so concerned as it looks I just find this stuff weird

baturinsky

Arcane
Sure, US propaganda is subtler and more effective, avoiding such.... manichean pitfalls, but again, Russia is a far poorer country with a considerably less developed tech sector.

"Subtler"? For me it looks just bat shit crazy and self-contradicting often even inside one article in one paper. They write something, like, rebels are not terrorist, but some of them are terrorists, and "some" means "most", but some of them are still democratic cuties that fight for freedom, so it's forbidden to bomb them, even if they fire at same directoon from the same hole as some AQ guy, and even US can't distinguish them from each other.

Russian propaganda is, at least, self-consistent. And only "serious" fuckups in it I have noticed is using word "terrorist" instead of "muslim fundamentalist that aim to behead everyone that is not exactly same breed of muslim", and mixing up names of terrorist organisations with each other (calling some al-Shits ISIS etc).

Dayyālu

Arcane
I am not willing to start a serious discussion on US propaganda and compare it with Russian efforts, but it's merely reality. I am not by all regards a particularly pro-NATO or pro-US man, but one has to admit that the amount of "soft power" they have in the vast majority of countries (books, movies, games, documentaries) is astounding. I can turn on my TV set (haven't done that for ages) and I get US-produced series and movies that glorify the US military and US values and beliefs, all dutifully translated in my own language.

Less "subtle" attempts (one has merely to read EUObserver or Politico to see hysterical articles about those eeeeevil Russians with rusty Soviet tech on the verge of invaaaaading Euuuuropeeee) are compensated by a clear dominance of the public discourse. I mean, nowadays we care more about the US president than our own elections.

But this is off topic.

EDIT:Checked one of the sites, what I get on the main page

https://euobserver.com/foreign/137153

Eeeevil Russsiaaaaans :lol::lol::lol:

Norfleet

So, basically, only games with no story do this. If you view this as something more in the vein of Command & Conquer, it's very clear which side is the good guys and which side are the bad guys. Red Alert, for instance, made it very clear that YOU ARE THE BAD GUYS if you play Soviet from the very first mission.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom