Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Will they change the engine to Unreal or will they stay with Unity?

nil

Cipher
It's probably part of a deal with Unity to show how easy it is to rehabilitate an Unreal developer.
  • Must be able to work remotely from home
They don't even want to be in the same building as him.

5+ artists
Do we know how many programmers they have?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The latest issue of Retro Gamer has a news item on the System Shock 1 Remake Demo, along with a small box of "Reader's Reactions".

Tried the demo, short but sweet. They recaptured the look and feel of the original well whilst tailoring it for a modern audience.
outdated_gamer

A poor man’s Bioshock, one to be avoided.
HalcyonDaze00

I loved the original and hope the success of this one will pave the way for System Shock 2 being remade. I don’t have Steam so haven’t played the demo, so I’m kinda going in blind.
tachi

I thing it looks great... but there was something about the old chunky models that helped the spookiness of the original a lot more
@OnetrueJohn

I did, like it a lot.
@Kitsuagi

Still need to give it a go. Would love to back it however worried about the system requirements changing over time.
@Grizzlykreiden

:australia:

Declinator

Arbiter

Didn't someone here predict this happening (even though they wouldn't reach the Kickstarter goal)?

I loved the original and hope the success of this one will pave the way for System Shock 2 being remade.
What's the point of remaking System Shock 2? I mean System Shock 1's interface is quite different from modern titles but the same can't be said of 2. Just a graphical revamp?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I loved the original and hope the success of this one will pave the way for System Shock 2 being remade.
What's the point of remaking System Shock 2? I mean System Shock 1's interface is quite different from modern titles but the same can't be said of 2. Just a graphical revamp?

The primary reason I posted those comments is to show how far too many of them are out of touch with reality. The amount of "remake" that System Shock 2 needs is miniscule, compared to System Shock 1.

On that note, releasing the source code is a brilliant PR move on their behalf that should appease the butthurt of the people that helped make System Shock 1 relevant and runnable for the past 20 years, and thereby directly contributed to every penny that Night Dive Studios gained from the Kickstarter.

ZylonBane Intensifies

With the source code out in the public, you can have Vanilla System Shock 1, System Shock 1 as Deemed Proper By The Fans, and the System Shock 1 Modern-Day Remake by Night Dive Studios.

It's Win-Win for everyone.

I only wish that Otherside Studios would do the same for Ultima Underworld 1 and 2...and yes, they have the source code for them.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Stephen Kick said in one of the Mattchats that he's totally against the idea of a SS2 remake. He said it is a timeless classic and that it has stood the test of time. So according to him the original SS2 is just fine.

Last edited:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Up until the casuals start clamoring for it because they can't play such 'old' games. Money always talks.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Didn't someone here predict this happening (even though they wouldn't reach the Kickstarter goal)?

Could make the final third of the game not suck.

Gentle Player

Arcane
Disagree with the recent posts here. I think SS2 is actually in more need of a remake than the original. Though this won't make me many friends here, I'll say that SS2 is one of the most overrated classics of the Codex canon. Not to say that it is a bad game, or even that it's not a very good game (I still enjoyed it very much), but it's deeply flawed in ways which don't apply to the original. Systemically it's a mess; I don't think many could argue against that considering that the path of least resistance - Standard Weapons 6 - is enough to trivialise the game even on Impossible thanks to the Assault Rifle and its ammo types and the ubiquity of bullets. Rather, it's praised mostly for its atmosphere: the Many are eerie, unnerving, and terrifically voice acted, and all credit is due there. Take that away, however, and I fear that what remains is largely mediocre.

Even when it comes to cultivating an oppressive atmosphere, there are tremendous failings when it comes to lighting (arguably of primary importance in any visual medium, and particularly relevant in games considering what the late 90s and early 00s had to offer). The flat lighting is disappointing in light (no pun intended :M) of what System Shock 1 (level 3 springs to mind) and even the Ultima Underworlds had to offer years before; it's downright retrograde and inexcusable when considering Thief, on whose engine SS2 was built upon.

In terms of the gameplay itself, which should be the main contributing factor to the atmosphere of any game, the scarcity of the early levels, at least on Impossible - in terms of low HPs, ammo, and the condition of weapons before the Maintenance skill has had a chance to be raised - made for a fantastically tense early game. However, this dissipates much too soon, even without a Standards Weapons build. It reaches a point where, in the late game, the Psionic Reaver enemies - whose ferocity is much built up through the audio logs - are a joke when actually encountered. Perhaps only an Exotic Weapons user would have difficulty, but considering the late stage in which those weapons are encountered and the steep requirements (points into Research, when zero points and an Implant are enough to enjoy the main benefits of that skill), most players would have already invested their Cyber Modules on other weapon skills (perhaps I'm wrong, but I think any game should primarily be judged on the basis of a first time player's experience).

Nor was there any challenge in terms of level design and puzzles - the only thing to give one pause was seeking out the hidden codes in the Recreation Deck. Whilst UU combat was also even more trivial - other than encountering Headless at a low level or those annoying poison bats early in UU1 - the late game challenges of finding the remaining artefacts or solving those puzzles in the Void more than made up for it. System Shock 1 remained tense throughout most of the game, particularly with the snipers in level 8 and the ordeal of the groves, the last level only being easy if you'd managed to find all the Shield upgrades and because the Skorpion ammo stopped being rare. Looking at one of SS2's contemporaries, another First Person game praised primarily for atmosphere, Unreal also managed to be very tense throughout, the Skaarj in the later Mothership levels being very fearsome - not to mention that the lighting in that game was utterly marvellous. Thief, by its very nature, was also challenging and tense up until the end, despite the variation in style of the later levels. SS2 really doesn't compare favourably to its predecessors nor to its contemporaries; only to the dross which came after, which is no real prize.

All in all, I think System Shock 1 is an accomplished game whose primary flaws have been fixed with System Shock Portable - those in charge of this new remake might as well add completely new elements, however misguided, for the sake of actually doing something, as there's little to really improve upon except Cyberspace. System Shock 2, however, is a deeply flawed game in real need of some well-meaning remaster or remake or whatever.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Gentle Player - If I'm not mistaken, much of what you mention as wrong with System Shock 2 can be, and has been, fixed with mods.

The community has the almost complete source code for the Dark Engine (which runs SS2 and the first two Thief games) and therefore can make some big changes to them.

I'm not saying that System Shock 2 shouldn't be looked at - I just think it's less of a priority compared to SS1.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1654345

Questions, Communication, and Streams
Posted by Jason Fader

Project Update
The first 2 weeks after the Kickstarter has been pretty busy for the team. We took a break the day after the Kickstarter and that weekend, but the following week we spent a lot of time planning out the rest of the project since we had a better sense of our budget. After that, the focus has been identifying roles we need filled and recruiting for them. That process will take a while…

Twitch Problems
We ran into a huge problem with Twitch and lost all of our past streams. If you recorded any of the VOD’s, please let us know (leave a comment below) so we can push them up to our Youtube channel. Streaming is kind of a new thing to us and there was a bit we didn’t know about Twitch’s retention policy :-(

PayPal and Crowdfunding
We’re still working on getting PayPal and our ongoing crowdfunding stuff set up. Our business folks that run Nightdive had to go through some legal stuff to make everything was friendly for taxes and such, which has taken time. They’re almost done on their side with things, and we’re hoping to have PayPal and ongoing crowdfunding fully set up around September at the latest. We should also see BackerKit coming online around then too.

Communication
As most of you have noticed, our communication on Kickstarter could be better. We started this as a small team and have been overwhelmed by the volume of messages we need to respond to. We’re working on getting better with it, starting by assigning specific folks to manage certain aspects of social media. Jonathan Peros will be our main person in charge of responding to Kickstarter comments and messages, and he should be catching up on stuff soon.

Also, we're working on bringing the NDS site up with forums so we can have a central place for making announcements. Hoping to have that ready by the end of the month.

Streaming
We have a lot of fun streaming stuff for you folks and chatting, so we’re going to work on a regular schedule with planned events. Since Twitch has caused us some problems, we’re going to experiment with Youtube Gaming streams to see what our fans think. We did some tests last night and it looks like the video quality is better and there is less of a delay compared to Twitch.

We’ll be doing a stream tonight, Friday Night Dives, where I will be diving into No Man’s Sky with some other folks on the team heckling me. Feel free to tune in and ask us questions too. We’ll answer what we can depending on who’s around.

Friday Night Dives - Friday @6pm PDT - https://gaming.youtube.com/c/Nightdivestudios/live
- Jason

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1675644

September Update
Posted by Jason Fader

Project Update
Phase - PreProduction

I’m going to start including what phase we’re in from now on in these updates so folks can better gauge our progress. This month is the start of PreProduction for us, which means lots of documentation and fleshing out pipelines. It also means ramping the team up for Vertical Slice. We’ve brought on two new folks onto the team this month to help fill out our leadership ranks.

Kevin Manning has joined the team as our Lead Artist. I worked with Kevin back on Fallout: New Vegas, and since then he’s been at a few places including Stardock and various contract opportunities. He’s been in the industry for about 12 years and has a passion for all things scifi and cyberpunk!

James Henley recently joined us as our Lead Level Designer. James has been in the industry for a while with most of his work being done at BioWare on Star Wars: The Old Republic, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Jade Empire. He’ll be leading our team of level designers to deliver on a challenging, yet rewarding, content experience and working alongside Chris Avellone to create the best visual storytelling environments on Citadel Station!

Other Updates
Nightdive has sorted out the business stuff and paypal is just about in place. The next steps will be BackerKit and setting up some funding tiers on the site. There’s still a lot to do, so no ETA yet on all of that.

Nightdive’s higher priority has been on bringing back the Nightdive website after a major overhaul, as well as bringing the forums online so we can better communicate with our supporters. The forums should be up later this month, and we’ll issue another Kickstarter update with instructions on how Backers will be able to access the private sections.

- Jason

Ash

Arcane
A Bioware Level Designer.

:hmmm:

Level design is what I find the most detestable about Bioware's games.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
First inXile, now SySoRemake.
Where is your incline, my fellow traps victims?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Wait, what "level design"? I thought this was a remake, not a reboot.

Sorry there's no "naive" button to appropriately rate this post.

This was already made clear during the Kickstarter, I guess you weren't paying attention

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom