Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't think the idea of a remake is bad per se considering the iffy controls and awkward design choices in the original, such as having 3 degrees of leaning, if I recall. That said I kind of remember using a mod that changed the controls to modern FPS controls, so that's not a problem that needs fixing.

I guess you could upgrade the graphics... but that's hard without losing the spirit of the game. A good example is Serious Sam's HD remake. It does look 'better' for sure, even beautiful. But it kind of loses the charm of the original, too. Since everything looks so 'sleek' monsters no longer pop out as well, which makes the game harder and alters the experience. For me anyway.

A horse of course

That concept art looks atrocious. I'm sure the original sketches are terrible too but the style is so ridiculously far removed from the original it's insane.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1770390

December Update

Hi hi Karlee here bringing you the newest update and stealing the fun away from Jason! Now time for our Holiday Kickstarter update:

Project Update
We are making great headway on Vertical Slice and we are out of the planning phase! Everyone here is working extra hard to create some quality content.

In other news, CEO Stephen Kick and Game Director Jason Fader were interviewed on Gamer Weekly.

Please check it out: https://soundcloud.com/gamerweekly/episode-29-nightdive-studios

Art
Here is some more art from our very own Robb Waters, we present the Cyborg Surgeon:

4d9af0fff1df3a679250b07d3d40774a_original.jpg

Job Openings
Nightdive Studios is looking to hire! So if you, or someone you know, is qualified for any of the positions below, please apply:

• Lead Animator
  • Senior 3D Environment Artist
http://www.nightdivestudios.com/careers/

Q&A
I chose DRM free for my SS1&2 codes, can I change this?

No, unfortunately once the code is selected for Humble DRM free or Steam you can not reverse it.

Shoutouts
Nightdive Studios is updating a certain game today just in time for the Steam Holiday sale!

9b98d3d7746ca0ab193144063a73f0b3_original.jpg

NOW INCLUDES LEVEL EDITOR

The new Level Editor for Turok allows users to create and modify maps, add new features, and build custom areas. Share your levels with the community and upload via the Steam Workshop! Full manual available.

Please check out all the Nightdive sales here on Steam:http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Nightdive Studios

Stay tuned for future updates and have a Happy Holidays!

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
level editor for a game like Turok? unless it was already present, that's kind of neat, even if nobody will use it

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
IIRC they ported the game to a new engine and built the editor. That's some dedication, I think.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Nightdive Studios is looking to hire! So if you, or someone you know, is qualified for any of the positions below, please apply:
  • Lead Animator
Is MaxOfSTD not good enough?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Here is some more art from our very own Robb Waters, we present the Cyborg Surgeon:

4d9af0fff1df3a679250b07d3d40774a_original.jpg

He really needs at least a couple of sharp fingers, or some kind of built-in cutting tool.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://gamingbolt.com/system-shock-remake-interview-return-to-the-stage-of-history

System Shock Remake Interview: Return to The Stage of History
Nightdive’s Stephen Kick talks about remaking the classic.

"The first game, as great as it was suffered from a lack of modern features which we take for granted today such as mouse look and a streamlined user interface."

I will get right to the point. What are your personal expectations regarding the System Shock remake?

Our goal is to take the strong foundation that was established by the original System Shock and strengthen it into an experience that anyone familiar with a first person shooter will enjoy. The first game, as great as it was suffered from a lack of modern features which we take for granted today such as mouse look and a streamlined user interface. The overall experience is daunting and often confusing.

There is a steep learning curve for newcomers before they feel comfortable which prevents a whole new audience from experiencing one of gaming’s most influential treasures. It’s my expectation that when we launch a new generation will finally experience System Shock and fall in love with the story, setting, and ground breaking concepts and mechanics that were established over 20 years ago.

How much of the original’s level design and aesthetics remain true to the original?

We’re staying very true to the aesthetics of Citadel Station. We’ve done a considerable amount of research into what gave the Station the unique look and feel in the original and have developed a style that captures that while taking advantage of advanced rendering features that are available to us with a modern game engine. The level design will also go mostly unchanged – the familiar locations, routes and pathways will all be present but massaged to provide a more immersive and believable experience. For example, the Medical Pavilion will be embellished to include a greater sense of functionality. If this really was a space used for surgery and other medical procedures that area should reflect that using lighting, props and a layout more conducive to that activity.

How much of stuff is being added from System Shock 2 in remake? Are you adding new gameplay elements as well?

We feel that the UI experience in Shock 2 was a great step forward for the series and you’ll see some of those influences in our game. We’re sticking very closely to the original in terms of gameplay, but some of the mechanics that were present in the original, again, are being massaged to conform to the expectations of a modern audience.

"It’s been very challenging to balance staying true to the original and adding new features – what we’re finding is that the original game is incredibly robust."

I have feeling that System Shock remake will be a sort of hybrid of the original and the sequel. Is my assumption wrong?

I think it’s safe to say that Nightdive’s System Shock will take advantage of all the advancements the industry has made towards creating a truly immersive experience and inevitably a comparison will be drawn from System Shock 2 as well as Bioshock which is a very good thing. The “Shock” universe is one of the most beloved in gaming and if we’re compared with any of those games we’d be extremely honored.

One of the biggest responsibilities of working on a remake is staying true to the game’s original vision. How do you balance between staying true to the original vision and adding new features?

It’s been very challenging to balance staying true to the original and adding new features – what we’re finding is that the original game is incredibly robust. That is to say there is a lot going on and the list of original features is pretty staggering. It’s given us a lot to chew on and haven’t determined if adding anything new would stray too far from what made the original so great. We’re certainly aware of the risk of disrupting the formula and make decisions based on what we believe will make the best game.

So far the game has only been announced for the Xbox One and PC. Why are you leaving out PS4 fans at this out? I know you have stated in the past that it may come to other platforms but what exactly is stopping the PS4 version to happen?

We announced a PS4 version during the final stages of our Kickstarter. We saw the demand from our fans and made it happen. Unfortunately, the release between PC, Xbox One and PS4 won’t be simultaneous, but it will be worth waiting for the platform of your choice.

"We’re reaching out to as many of the original team as possible to get their feedback; we want to make a game as true as possible to their ideals."

How are far are you guys into development?

We’re in the early stages of development. We’ve had a lot of time to go over the data and feedback we received during the Kickstarter and demo and are fine tuning the overall design and vision for the game before we go into full production.

Do you have plans to add VR into the game?

We want to be very careful when considering VR. Our first priority is to make the best game we can and while we’re certainly aware of the potential VR has we’re not convinced that it’s the right thing for the game. Personally I feel like we’d be more likely to create a standalone VR experience that compliments the game we’re making on now as opposed to shoehorning VR into it. It is exciting to think about though; I can’t imagine a game franchise that would be more appropriate for virtual reality.

How much of the original staff are coming back into this? I know that Robert Waters is back. Who else is back?

It’s just Robb right now but we are actively consulting with OtherSide Entertainment which is largely composed of former team members. We’re also having very productive conversations with Austin Grossman and Dorian Hart. We’re reaching out to as many of the original team as possible to get their feedback; we want to make a game as true as possible to their ideals.

mastroego

Arcane
Ok, I understand, but if they want to lure people who never played the original...
Holy hell, I don't think I can stand those graphics for a whole game.
Butt-Rate my post away, the problem remains... which might result in less sales BTW.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Actually, only the first level in SS1 was blue.
c9fb68b55b14b50e185661c130f31b57.gif

system-shock-gameplay.jpg

SHOCK026.GIF
And its blueness was different, it's just the colour of walls, floors and ceilings. Whereas in the reboot it looks like the blue version of a nuDeusEx piss-filter.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
It's not just the color, it's the overall graphic style and detail.
I guess it still looks too much like an old game. With remakes, at least the presentation should be updated, imho.
I mean we're used to incredible graphics and settings by now, what we might miss is a bit of that "old magic" which is tied largely to old-style mechanics and options rather than graphics.

passerby

Arcane
It's not a pissfilter, just all lights are blue, probably inspired by the blue color of light sources on the original textures.
There too many pointless decorative lights and buttons nowhere to see on the original textures, looks like a christmas tree.
I agree these shots would look better with more natural lighting. Hopefully colored lights won't be as overused outside of medical deck.
Who am I kidding, I saw some of the concept art...
I actualy really like the remade assets. Nice and easy way to ruin otherwise good job with tasteless lighting.

@ mastroego
Well this is just a low budget remake, only for people who are interested in the original game.
They also plan to produce a proper reeboot from the profits from this one.

It's also a very similar game to Bioschock in most aspects, just a little better level design and a little less absurd setting.
If you've played Bioshock you'll be surprised how little changed since then and not for the better.
With all the Bioschock fans having a chance to experience where it all started, it's a slamdunk in the making.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
*PC Gamer*

People's careers can go down the toilet, but there's no need to be so literal about it.

DraQ

Arcane
Ok, I understand, but if they want to lure people who never played the original...
Like you?
+M
Because:
Actually, only the first level in SS1 was blue.
c9fb68b55b14b50e185661c130f31b57.gif

system-shock-gameplay.jpg

SHOCK026.GIF
And its blueness was different, it's just the colour of walls, floors and ceilings. Whereas in the reboot it looks like the blue version of a nuDeusEx piss-filter.
For example R&D level was red - to the point where it will be hard to stay true to the original without it looking stupid (the last screen is Reactor level, though, not R&D and it could look nice with red lighting at the cost of compromising the original looks somewhat).

My only nitpick is how wide-open the spaces feel in the demo. SS2 is known for, and benefited from, its claustrophobic corridors. It seems like they've expanded them somewhat in the demo, so you have room to maneuver. Not sure I'm a fan yet. I hope this turns out good, SS2 was my favorite PC game of all time. Again, relatively minor observation. Nothing critical--the whole project looks loyal to the original, which in my case, is the defining point. Not sure how I feel about inclusion of RPG statistics, yet, or how cyberspace will work--SS2 did statistics right. I hold out hope.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom