Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
System Shock Portable is no longer available, instead they do have System Shock Tool, which will create a portable version of System Shock, from the GOG version.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am more interested in the framework, engine, and modding capabilities of what they're building than whatever game this thing will be. Waiting for more details. If there's a decent SDK and it's moddable, this could be interesting.

Else, this is just going to be a Black Mesa.

pippin

As expected, the original has better graphics. The new version just added some bloom and shitty textures. I want to see that in movement though.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Way too much bloom, but so far seems to even try to be true to SS1's looks...

Perkel

Arcane
My penis got harder.
Basically original game + modern graphics with art trying to be as close to original as possible.
Looks like they are doing it right.

As for controls. Are you people really complain that SS1 had terrific controls and they will not be possible to transfer to pad ?

what are you people smoking ? SS1 had terrible controls from era in which mouse wasn't fucking standard.
I liked SS UI but controls were shit.

as for leaning and pad. Bollocks. You can easily do that along with forward and backward lean. Not only that but also you can make it completely analog from both movement and lean degree perspective when you bind it to both L2 and analog responsible for movement.
Reason why consoles don't do it is that your popamole wouldn't want to use it.

We have seen worse.

6SCI

Perkel

Arcane
Also holy fuck Night Dive has full control over IP from what i am hearing.
When did this happen ?

I assume they will be doing SS kickstarter then, either for SS1 or SS3.

Imagine collaboration between Night Dive and Original devs doing SS3....

I see their artists think that the best way to make something look sci fi is to put a blue + bloom filter over the screen.

In particular the medical area is supposed to be essentially the most sterile place of an already sterile station. Here the fog makes the air quality look on par with Chinese cities on a bad day.

That said it's pleasing to see a 1:1 geometry match. I can only hope that stays the same the entire game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Actullay, to me, those screenshots feels like this (plus all kinds of c00l post proceessing effects):

tTABJJ2.jpg

I hoped they do things more creative than that but, well, maybe this is better than total screw up with "re-imagening".

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I just wish I could get a job with these guys, just to ensure they are sticking to the true core elements of the game.... :M

tormund

Arcane
Looks like they are just trying to faithfully recreate original environments in the new engine, instead of doing the full blown reimagining. That is alright by me.

PeachPlumage

Cipher
I just wish I could get a job with these guys, just to ensure they are sticking to the true core elements of the game.... :M

Complain that they need to diversify their team, Jaesun! Ham up the fabulous gay magic on your cv. :obviously:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The only thing the original game needed was mouselook and higher resolutions, and we already got that with SS1 Portable.
This is a waste of time. Make something original, but in the same style, instead.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The only thing the original game needed was mouselook and higher resolutions, and we already got that with SS1 Portable.
This is a waste of time. Make something original, but in the same style, instead.

I also agree with this. But I personally would love to see System Shock brought into the 21st century, graphics wise. The real question is, will they neglect all of the great mechanics of the original, and just dumb the thing down to meet console tard expectations.

Also the matrix thing could use some vast improvements.... :M

My HOPE is they want to retain the original feel and gameplay of the original, but the allure of $$$ is what most companies solely focus on. I guess we shall soon see in future updates which side they are on for this remake.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Glad to see this. Looks good without bloom. So far no modern "sci-fi" mediocority included.
Hope they do better than these people
http://www.moddb.com/games/citadel
which I lost interest since they switched to Unity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom