Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

ciox

Liturgist
It was already no longer possible to download it without a steamdb link for a month or so, the demo is 'dangerous' since its content still suggests a remaster instead of a reboot, so it needs to be forgotten along with all the early presentation of this project as a remaster.

Anyway it should be possible to get it from here https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=9534.msg113034#msg113034

Ash

Arcane
In other news, they're turning System Shock 1 into a play-your-own-way game now too:

http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/why-system-shock-matters-w483835

Don’t call it a “remaster," though – Avellone says that it’s more a reboot than anything else. "We’re taking the original storyline and expanding it to reflect the new ways you can play – the combat path, the hacking path, the stealth path. Part of the thrill of the first System Shock is that SHODAN doesn’t know you’re there at first. We’re aiming to surprise the player by taking that a little further."

Edit: yes, this is old news. Though not sure if it was ever noticed.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The German language has a term for this sort of shit (Because of course it does): "Verschlimmbessern", meaning making something worse by trying to improve it.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
In other news, they're turning System Shock 1 into a play-your-own-way game now too:

http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/why-system-shock-matters-w483835

Don’t call it a “remaster," though – Avellone says that it’s more a reboot than anything else. "We’re taking the original storyline and expanding it to reflect the new ways you can play – the combat path, the hacking path, the stealth path. Part of the thrill of the first System Shock is that SHODAN doesn’t know you’re there at first. We’re aiming to surprise the player by taking that a little further."

Edit: yes, this is old news. Though not sure if it was ever noticed.
What is it with you and your constant opposition to presence of stealth playstyle in games?

Ash

Arcane
The German language has a term for this sort of shit (Because of course it does): "Verschlimmbessern", meaning making something worse by trying to improve it.

It's every bit possible without losing the original identity. It just doesn't seem like Night Dive subscribe to that intent unfortunately.

What is it with you and your constant opposition to presence of stealth playstyle in games?

I don't. Only in games or series that weren't originally stealth games. Turn the tables, make Thief/Splinter Cell/Hitman a fully-fledged combat game, and you'll see opposition. And I would back the opposition too. I would bring up Splinter Cell Conviction or Hitman: Absolution, but they're not even a good combat games, they're just shit.
If stealth is to be a fully supported playstyle as it seems It's going to have a major influence on the experience. If it's just a supporting mechanic like in Arx or Shock 2 I'll take little issue with it.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is there a thread for System Shock 3 and not this piece of shit?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pdxmonthly.com/articles/2017/9/21/a-vancouver-studio-rebuilds-a-cult-classic-video-game

A Vancouver Studio Rebuilds a Cult Classic Video Game
Nightdive builds a one-to-one remake of 1994′s System Shock.

The dream of the ’90s is alive in Portland. Or, actually, in Vancouver, Washington. Nightdive Studios, known for purchasing rights to classic video games and porting them to modern platforms, is working on its first ground-up game design: a one-to-one remake of the 1994 classic System Shock, recognized as an influence on the similarly techno-dystopic Bioshock and Deus Ex franchises. Nightdive raised more than $1 million on Kickstarter to fund the project. We asked founder and lead designer Stephen Kick what’s worth all that money.

Why bring back this game?

System Shock was exceptionally important for the industry. But in 1994, people didn’t really give it the attention it deserved. It was one of the first true first-person shooters in 3-D that had a narrative that you would uncover through exploring the game world. It wasn’t all just about running and gunning and killing everything that you see.

Are your Kickstarter backers fans of the game? Or people who’ve never played it?

Definitely both. A lot of people played the original game and want to experience it again. And then we have another group that finds the original a little too archaic to really get into. We have a chance to bring the franchise back to its former glory.

How do you remake a game?

We used a tool to extract the original game geometry. That left us with, basically, a layout of the entire game. But it’s empty. It’s just like a shell of the design. What that’s allowed us to do is remake the game world one-to-one. We’ve also got the original concept artist from System Shock, Robb Waters, going back to all of his old designs and reenvisioning them and reimagining them to not only today’s standards but also in terms of his own artistic growth. It’s really exciting. Like, a drawing he did in 1992—now this is what it looks like in 2016, with everything that he’s learned.

One-to-one or reimagining, which is it?

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
One-to-one or reimagining, which is it?
Autoplagiarism and shameless clickbait.
https://www.pdxmonthly.com/articles/2016/7/19/a-1994-video-game-classic-gets-reborn-in-portland
A 1994 Video Game Classic, Reborn in Portland
Night Dive Studios has raised more than $1 million to remake the cult classic System Shock from the ground up.
By Marty Patail 7/19/2016 at 12:34pm

In terms of the design, how do you remake a game from the ground up?

We used a tool to extract the original game geometry from the original. What that’s left us with is basically a layout of the entire game. But it’s empty. It’s just like a shell of the level design.

Boleskine

Arcane
http://www.pcgamer.com/how-the-system-shock-reboot-is-changing-system-shock/

How the System Shock reboot is changing System Shock
New concept art and a chat with the game director about how Nightdive is adapting a classic into a modern game.

M4SMDDkt3TQeT9ngSjri8L-650-80.jpg

To build a ruined space station, you have to start with a fresh one. This new selection of concept art from Nightdive Studios' reboot of System Shock presents Citadel Station in the midst of its hostile takeover by rogue AI SHODAN. It's not quite the scuffed and broken station the player will see when they wake up from their coma, but by starting with concepts for a functional space station, Nightdive's artists know where to put the rubble.

"I kind of got this from working on Fallout: New Vegas," says game director Jason Fader. "Start with how things looked pre-war, as far as Fallout context goes, and then after we understand how things started, mess it up."

Of course, System Shock already has levels, but this reboot isn't an exact replica of the Warren Spector-led 1994 shooter which inspired so many immersive sims that came after it, most recently Prey. The spirit of the original's space station remains, or it will if Nightdive gets 'em right, but the decks are being rebuilt for the Unreal Engine with modern design ideas.

"Our level philosophy is essentially to take the original levels and the decks of Shock 1, and assess what still works and what may be too frustrating for players," says Fader, "and basically chisel away or overhaul certain sections so that it basically aligns with player expectations for a modern game today. I mean, we're still going to have labyrinthine and mazelike areas."

pw6bJZRzFouFz9dYQiRwGL-650-80.jpg

Fader points to the maintenance deck—see a comparison between the original and concept art for the new System Shock above—as an example. The slanted walls remain, and because the new team's takeaway was that "the original developers wanted the player to feel lost in this," it'll be a labyrinth here, too.

"Level design itself I wouldn't say is a complete do-over," says Fader. "It's more looking at the original and seeing what works, and what could be better, and revamping the levels."

MvcwNBRB59mMHXBowV5RAL-650-80.jpg

A lot more can be rendered now than could be in 1994, too. Above is a not quite pristine, not totally wrecked concept for the medical deck. Nightdive's designers are thinking about what would be in a real corporate medical facility of the future. There's a pediatrics waiting room with a perhaps well-intentioned but creepy teddy bear hologram. There's a holographic fish tank. There's an oppressiveness to the uncomfortable-looking chairs in the waiting area.

t4EjDZaxV348gUwHkEKcpK-650-80.jpg

In the medical deck bathroom concept above, the stalls are made private with holograms instead of actual doors, "kind of selling the idea that you don't have any privacy in this future, the corporation pretty much owns everything." There's a sensible decontamination shower, as well.

"One of the things that we kind of joked about in the project is not enough care or attention really goes into bathrooms for videogames," says Fader, "so we had our artist sit down and figure out, 'What would a bathroom of the future look like,' but still be something that's cyberpunk, semi-dystopian."

JgnXcvsHxXPSVoZXGo4dzK-650-80.jpg

As new and shiny as it all appears (and remember, these concepts don't necessarily represent the final, dilapidated state of the space station), it all looks System Shock-ey. The engineering deck concept above, for instance, emphasizes the orange and teal contrasts from the original level.

"This is basically TriOptimum's version of Black Mesa from Half-Life, where there's some clandestine research experiments, things that are very, very secretive," as Fader describes it. One of the fellows mutilated with all this research starred on the original System Shock's boxart: the cyborg commander, one of SHODAN's human-machine hybrids, called the Cyborg Elite Guard in the original.

The look of him hasn't changed much (see his concept art below), but he has changed. "The cyborg commander is a squad leader," says Fader. "The player is going to encounter this guy in typically in squads of four or five other cyborgs, where the commander is their leader, and the other cyborgs are the footsoldiers." Kill the commander, and the other enemies will react by becoming more disorganized.

Tough enemies like the cyborg commander will be introduced in a "showcase moment," says Fader, sort of like a boss fight, before becoming part of the usual cast of enemies. "We want to slowly ease the player into learning how these guys function and behave, so that the player can defeat them," he says.

y8x67dGnPCLV277GHFp7wK-650-80.jpg

Unless I'm vastly misremembering System Shock, these ideas point to a decidedly modern approach. This is a new version of System Shock, then, a modern immersive sim that draws heavily from the original, but also from the past 20 years of game design.

Looking Glass is looking
One thing that remains the same is the story. It's not changing—you're a hacker on a space station that's been turned into a death carnival by an AI gone evil—though the script has been slightly tweaked with the help of Chris Avellone.

"System Shock to me is very much a Die Hard story," says Fader, "where it's one person against insurmountable odds, using their wits and craftiness to beat a manic. Unfortunately, I'd love it if Alan Rickman could play SHODAN, but there are several impossibilities with that."

Despite the tragic impossibility of it (Alan Rickman died of cancer last year), Fader doesn't really mean that he'd want anyone else to voice the evil AI. SHODAN is still voiced by the original voice actor, Terri Brosius, who Fader says has nearly total creative control over the character. Her husband, Eric Brosius (who also worked at the original System Shock studio, Looking Glass), is processing her voice with creepy pitch changes. It doesn't sound identical to the original voice work, but it can't be called inauthentic: Terri Brosius is SHODAN, now and then.

cTk3m5JGcT8Hzwe8DeybrK-650-80.jpg

What is changing is being well-considered, according to Fader. Nightdive is consulting with System Shock's original designers, and learning what they would've changed in the original if they could go back. Level designers Dorian Hart and Austin Grossman brought up believability, for instance. "They put a few things in the game and didn't really explain them, and if you were to play the game now, some of those things don't kind of make sense," says Fader.

If you've never played System Shock, you probably won't be bothered by this example, which involves a pair of roller skates. There were roller skates in System Shock. It doesn't make a lot of sense, so Fader says they're being changed—still with roughly the same functionality (gotta go fast), but more believably something you'd find on a futuristic space station.

I wonder how fans of the original will feel about one of its weird, nonsensical items being reworked to make more sense? Part of loving something is loving its quirks and inconsistencies, its mistakes—so it's a worrying task to 'fix' a classic. It doesn't matter if the creators have been consulted, or are even directly involved. Just because he created Star Wars doesn't make George Lucas trying to fix it any better.

It's a precarious spot to be in, but Fader and Nightdive don't seem at all incapacitated by the caution it takes. The levels will be a bit different, and there will be new ways to approach problems, new tools, in the figurative sense, and the enemies will behave differently. It's not exactly the same game, and I have to imagine it would be hard—approximately impossible—to copy a 23-year-old game into a new engine. Fader and the Nightdive team are creative, and as faithful as it may end up being, this new System Shock will be their creation.

KCRMkuTth73YvD28aDuUmK-650-80.jpg

Of course, it's not as if the original, which Nightdive recently remastered to make it easier to play on modern systems, is going away, so I'm happy to keep an open mind. There's no date set for the reboot's release, but it seems likely that it's a ways off. Fader says that System Shock is currently in pre-production. A playable build has been created, and Nightdive is now working toward building a vertical slice: a complete deck of the space station "that will cover every feature but at a shallow depth." After that, Nightdive will "ramp the team up" and move on to production.

Well over a million dollars has been raised for the game on Kickstarter, with more backer funding now coming through BackerKit—so there are a lot of fans of the original to please. According to Fader and community manager Karlee Wetzel, interacting with their backers has been a great help, especially in their Discord server. They'll be the real litmus test as System Shock develops: If the people who loved the original enough to put money down on a reboot approve of Nightdive's imagination, it will have achieved its goal.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
For a recent article, all the information gathered here sounds like old news. The concept art might be the only new thing?

RoSoDude

Arcane
Despite the tragic impossibility of it (Alan Rickman died of cancer last year), Fader doesn't really mean that he'd want anyone else to voice the evil AI. SHODAN is still voiced by the original voice actor, Terri Brosius, who Fader says has nearly total creative control over the character. Her husband, Eric Brosius (who also worked at the original System Shock studio, Looking Glass), is processing her voice with creepy pitch changes. It doesn't sound identical to the original voice work, but it can't be called inauthentic: Terri Brosius is SHODAN, now and then.

These "creepy pitch changes" in that trailer were terrible. Compare to SS1's SHODAN, whose voice repeated and shifted at appropriate moments, with subtle pitch changes that actually made sense. Notice the pitch change as SHODAN says "Lines of power careen into the skies of earth!" in the clip below. The moderate pitch change in the italicized section goes along with an increased speaking speed, and communicates SHODAN's excitement with the concept in a way that's creepy without becoming silly. In the trailer, we have frequent moments of extended chipmunk SHODAN, and I just cringe.

SS1's SHODAN voice work was the one aspect of the game that was basically perfect, and should be copied to the letter for the remake.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/2021339

October Update

Hey there hackers,

Wow it has been a long time since I have been able to write to you, but I have so much to share! Starting with our most recent interview with PCGamer talking about how we are approaching the reboot, plus lots of new concept pieces:

https://goo.gl/xm1AgG

Now a little something from Game Director Jason Fader...

Fader and Spector

Hi everyone, Jason here! Last month at PAX, I had the pleasure of hanging out with Warren for a bit. We’ve spoken before, but this was the first time we actually got to relax and just chat about everything. While I’d love to go into all of the neat Shock stuff we were bouncing around, a lot of it is super hush hush.

238fab87798049868cab0963f521b296_original.jpg

Warren and I at PAX West 2017

I’ll be honest, no matter how long I’ve been in the game industry, I still fanboy at my idols. Warren was no exception. As he would recall tales of his early days in the industry, I couldn’t help but feel honored that I am a part of a legacy that he helped start with System Shock. Most of our time chatting was spent on books, movies, and TV shows we gravitated towards. I would bring up my passion about recent TV shows that cover stories around artificial intelligence, and he would discuss amazing books that inspired him. Eventually we discovered we both had cats waiting for us at home and proceeded to exchange cat pictures.

As for specific Shock stuff we discussed, I can’t say much. I can say SHODAN is a character very special to both of us, and was the topic of several conversations. If you can picture us around a cocktail table with drinks in our hands as we delightfully discuss the finer points of System Shock and everything else, it was basically like that. I eagerly look forward to more times when we can unwind and share a drink. :)

Art & Animation
As you may have seen from the PCGamer article, we have shared quite a few new pieces of concept art! Right now, I would like to focus on this one piece in particular.

fe7040cf6e33f42cce43747e32338c7b_original.jpg

Comparison of Old & New Maintenance Level.

Here we have a concept of the new Maintenance Level done by artist Robert Simon side by side with the original. With this we can easily show you our direction of preserving the old while still keeping things fresh! What do you think?

Moving on to something a little different, our animators wanted to share something we find really cool and spooky for the month of October.

Discord
The time has come, we are opening up our Discord to the Public! So please feel free to invite your friends to join in the community:

https://discord.gg/4ucktS4

FAQ

Q: Will System Shock be Mac compatible?

A: Yes. Mac, Linux, and Windows

Q: How does the sizing work on the shirts?

A: We will update the Backerkit entry with a sizing chart for both male and female shirts.

Q: Can I use PayPal as my payment method on Backerkit?

A: We're still considering PayPal - hold tight!

Q: How long do I have until I need to finalize my Backerkit survey?

A: A few months before launch, we will send out a number of updates before we're ready to finalize orders.

Q: I pledged at the $75 tier and still have issues with shipping, what gives?

A: We are so sorry with the delay, we were working hard with Backerkit to resolve this issue. At this time, all backers at that tier should no longer have to worry!

If you have any other questions or support needs, please let us know here:

Support.NightdiveStudios.com

See you next time~!

(。・ω・。)ノ♡Karlee Meow

Also find us on:

https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio

https://twitter.com/SystemShockGame

https://www.facebook.com/NightdiveStudios/

https://system-shock.backerkit.com/

https://shop.nightdivestudios.com/

http://forums.nightdivestudios.com/

Latelistener

Arcane
There's no date set for the reboot's release, but it seems likely that it's a ways off. Fader says that System Shock is currently in pre-production. A playable build has been created, and Nightdive is now working toward building a vertical slice: a complete deck of the space station "that will cover every feature but at a shallow depth." After that, Nightdive will "ramp the team up" and move on to production.
Okay, see you in 2025, if ever.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
One of the fellows mutilated with all this research starred on the original System Shock's boxart: the cyborg commander, one of SHODAN's human-machine hybrids, called the Cyborg Elite Guard in the original.

The look of him hasn't changed much (see his concept art below), but he has changed. "The cyborg commander is a squad leader," says Fader. "The player is going to encounter this guy in typically in squads of four or five other cyborgs, where the commander is their leader, and the other cyborgs are the footsoldiers." Kill the commander, and the other enemies will react by becoming more disorganized.

Tough enemies like the cyborg commander will be introduced in a "showcase moment," says Fader, sort of like a boss fight, before becoming part of the usual cast of enemies. "We want to slowly ease the player into learning how these guys function and behave, so that the player can defeat them," he says.

y8x67dGnPCLV277GHFp7wK-650-80.jpg

Unless I'm vastly misremembering System Shock, these ideas point to a decidedly modern approach. This is a new version of System Shock, then, a modern immersive sim that draws heavily from the original, but also from the past 20 years of game design.

How they handle these "showcase moments" is VERY important to how this reboot will be received. The best option is to have these showcase moments be as they were in the original.

The original didn't have cut-scenes that broke away from the gameplay to introduce a character, so there's no need to add those. The Cortex Reaver (the biggest baddie in the game) was introduced by a series of e-mails and comms transmissions that led the player to a room where the Cortex Reaver was just finishing up wiping out the last holdout of humans, as can be seen as it's standing in the middle of a room filled with corpses. That was a very natural showcase moment, and that's the kind that SS1 must use. In addition, even though the Cortex Reaver only appears 3 times in the game (outside of cyberspace) there is no need to turn him into a boss monster... but I fear that's exactly what will happen. He should be treated just like an over-the-top baddie. Compare this to the T-Rex in the original Tomb Raider vs Tomb Raider Anniversary - it's something to avoid.

mwnn85

Savant
I can't help thinking that they'll completely fuck this up.
Preferred the first System Shock to the second as well =\

What I originally understood to be a straightforward modernising of the technology used seems to be slowly morphing into something else now.
Assuming it ever gets released.
:decline:

Perkel

Arcane
Sometime in future:

You start game playing SS remake with new graphics and controls with slightly changed design. Naturally there are some weird design choices around with some levels not being present at all etc. Obvious cut content. Overall game is like SS1 but modernized graphics and everything. Game is also quite buggy. Like some enemies hovering from time to time. Some locations having problems with texture loadings or outright wireframe only being displayed. About halfway you find glitch in one of hacking game when you try to hack into medbay and you sort of go outside of walls and find new part of program to hack into. Aside from some nonsensical stuff you also find few AI programs and you actually find AI program named after your character. What is more interesting is that there are actually 4 AI programs labelled like that. 2 of which are destroyed or damaged, 1 of which is "in use" and last one that seems to be shut down.

You try to hack into last one and switch it on from curiosity and your screen is starting to glitch showing your two different screens at the same time one which is totally black while other your current one which as time progresses gets glitched more and more until you end up only with black screen.

After few moments you hear humming sounds around you and you open eyes to see walls of glass tank with you in it which you brake and fall of from not so low ledge and hit ground. You look around and you see tight cramped vertical room with few glass tanks above you, full of electronics obviously not designed for human use. You find airflow vent and you squeeze yourself into it and after long long air vent travel you finally reach end of it but vent goes downward and you fall off. You hit ground hard. After hit you lie on some metal floor looking at ceiling. But there is no ceiling. A sky. Near black with heavy dirty clods but a sky nonetheless. You realize you can't move your eyes. You move your right hand and mid way it collapses lifelessly like puppet with string cut. Then your hearing get cut. Finally your vision starts to glitch and turns black.

You go back to original screen but this time console runs on it.

AI experiencing system shock.
Trying to reboot unit.
Trying to reboot unit
Trying to reboot unit
rebooting unit comple
switching to unit 4

You wake up, stand up and look back at the vent from which you came from.
You look again but this time in front of you.
You see kingdom.
But that is no human kingdom.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/2036871

November Update

Hey there Hackers!

We’re going to try something new (for us) and show A LOT of what we’re working on… even stuff that’s a work in progress. We appreciate everyone’s patience with us as we find the best way to reveal things we’re working on. If folks like this format, we’ll try to do more of these in the future. Please let us know what you think:

Updated FAQ
With the video update today we thought this would also be a good time to answer some of the questions that have been coming up again and again in both our Kickstarter comments, Discord, and other social media channels. We will be answering more questions on future updates or join us on Discord at http://www.systemshock.com/discord to talk about all things System Shock.

Kristina Tomalesky|Lead Producer

Q: What stage of development are you at?

A: (TL;DR) We are currently working on Vertical Slice in Pre-Production.

(Read on for more details…)

Game development breaks down into several Pre-Production, Production, and Post-Production milestones. This varies a bit from company to company as well so keep in mind that how we define these milestones may differ somewhat from how others use these same terms. The end goal for all developers is it to take chunks of related work and set deadlines for that effort.

For System Shock, Pre-Production breaks down into several smaller milestones:
  • Concept / Pitch / Prototype - This was the work that was necessary for the Kickstarter. The team put together a high level game design document, established an art style, and created pitch materials including the Kickstarter video.
  • Hold that thought….Change engines to UE4!!! - Once the Kickstarter funded, the team went back to work only to change gears in a massive way. An engine change is never easy but the team felt that it was the correct call for the project so we spent several months moving from Unity to UE4, revising our processes, and rebuilding our pipelines. On top of that we streamlined our character development pipeline to Maya. This whole process made several of us want to pull out our remaining hair, except for Jason that is! We are very glad that work is complete!
  • First Playable - First Playable is unsurprisingly the first playable version of a game. For us, it meant a small section of the Medical Deck, the Mutant enemy, Sparq Beam, door codes, audio logs, throwable items, cameras, detection states, shatter tech, and a bunch of new art and additional tech all working in one build! First Playable also gave us the chance to prove out, adjust, and refine our development pipelines. In addition, being on UE4 required us to redo some things that had previously been done for the Unity version of the game. In all, we created a playable game that had approximately 7 encounter scenarios and had approximately 10 - 15 minutes of gameplay.
  • Vertical Slice - Vertical Slice is a thin deep slice of the game. If you think of cutting a cake and applying it to game development, you look for a full featured experience in a small section of the game. For Shock, we are finishing building out the Medical Deck including labs, vents, and patient rooms, adding in several new enemies including the Cyborg Drone and Cyborg Commander, new weapons, turrets, hacking puzzles, and so on. This milestone also lets us finalize the combat for multiple weapon types and throwable items. By the time this milestone is complete, we should have a good hour of gameplay that is very indicative of the final game.
Once the Vertical Slice Milestone wraps up the team moves into Production. Similar to Pre-Production, Production breaks down into several smaller milestones (Alpha, Beta, Final). We will explain more about these milestones and goals as the project develops.

Q: When is the release date?

A: We're still early in development. Once we enter our Production phase, we'll have more info for all of you.

Q: What happened to the old Unity Demo?

A: At this time, we have taken down the old demo since it does not reflect the current state of the project.

Q: Will there be an Unreal Demo soon?

A: We do not have plans to release a build of the game until the backer Beta begins.

Q: Any hope for a Nintendo Switch version? How about Xbox One X?

A: It is not off the table.

Q: Will there be Mod Support?

A: While we did not hit this goal as part of the Kickstarter, however it is a goal on Backerkit:

Q: Will System Shock be Mac compatible?

A: Yes. Mac, Linux, and Windows

Q: How does the sizing work on the shirts?

A: We will update the Backerkit entry with a sizing chart for both male and female shirts.

Q: Can I use PayPal as my payment method on Backerkit?

A: We're still considering PayPal - hold tight!

Q: How long do I have until I need to finalize my Backerkit survey?

A: A few months before launch, we will send out a number of updates before we're ready to finalize orders.

Nightdive Studios Fifth Anniversary
Today marks the 5th Anniversary of Nightdive Studios, we couldn't do it without such a great community! So let's celebrate with a sale, all our titles are up to 80% off on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/nightdive/

260c51fae1006528eb407c3f39ac22eb_original.png

We are so excited to be celebrating 5 wonderful years!

If you have any other questions or support needs, please let us know here:

Support.NightdiveStudios.com

See you next time~!

(。・ω・。)ノ♡Karlee Meow

Also find us on:

https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio

https://twitter.com/SystemShockGame

https://www.facebook.com/NightdiveStudios/

https://shop.nightdivestudios.com/

http://forums.nightdivestudios.com/

http://www.systemshock.com/discord

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
That video actually raises my interest in the game somewhat.

As I suspected, their reboot of the game involves changing the levels. This doesn't have to be a bad thing as long as they have competent designers. And seeing that children's corner in the hospital reception gave me a chill that no System Shock game has managed to do in 15+ years...

(On that note, if Citadel Station now has children/babies... what did SHODAN do with them?)

The Shatter technology looks neat, but currently kinda pointless. If we can dismember enemies without killing them... then we're talking something truly interesting.

Ash

Arcane
I appreciate their open approach.

I was going to whine about how the level design is overly realism-centric as is the modern standard, but really the original's level design strove for realism more than was the norm back then, to the detriment of gameplay a little. It's always been the immersive sim way, though still not losing sight of great gameplay in the process, and still not afraid of abstract elements.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
... snip ...

They are full of PR shit but the last Backer Update video looks good. They are going in the right direction considering their resources.

Seriously, if you expect AAA quality from them then you are retarded.

(On that note, if Citadel Station now has children/babies... what did SHODAN do with them?)

They were shipped to the Dead Space universe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom